Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20

Author Topic: Cult Race: Chaos  (Read 16607 times)

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
Re: Cult Race: Chaos
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2017, 07:16:19 pm »

The unpredictability of Tzeentch is probably a good thing against the tyranids. We don't want anything consistent enough for their counters to take hold. Given long enough, tyranids will find a way to beat you at your own game. The solution to that? Keep changing the game you are playing. Tzeentch is the guy that does that. Things are just as likely to go horribly right, as they are horribly wrong. We just have to be a little more flexible in our approach to strategy.

Nurgle seems like a good strategy, and against another enemy I would be inclined to agree, but a lack of speed against tyranids can be fatal.We would still be wading through muck in the lower levels while half the hive is growing bug eyes.

+1 Tzeentch
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2017, 07:31:19 pm »

That's the swarm itself Helmacon, not a genestealer cult. By purging these false believers we'll prevent that from happening. Sure, genestealers are choppy in melee, but they're squishy. The bigger problem is ensuring we've the cultists to combat theirs.

@RAM: Genestealers aren't fireproof, and manpower/infiltration bonuses are a huge boon; imagine the faces of those xenos when the fuzz kick down the door and start murdering them. And manpower can't be understated; more cultists means we can build more, field more troops and otherwise have a much bigger presence while not looking us down specific and useless pathway like Tzeentch would. Speed isn't a big a issue though; we can just put the slowpokes onto a truck and maybe put a rockgrinder on the front for some GTA style carnage; I highly doubt genestealers aren't able to be run over :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2017, 07:54:10 pm »

Things are just as likely to go horribly right, as they are horribly wrong.
I think that it is meant to be a bad thing, like, pretty much all bad... Look at the list of equivalent maluses. I just don't see that it is going to involve any outcomes that are better than its absence.
- Magic is disallowed.[/i]
- The results of "Chaos gives freely" become even more unpredictable[/i]
- All units are slower[/i]
- Chaos Space Marines cost more Civilian Resources to recruit[/i]
- Your Daemonic units are awful[/i]
Chaos gives freely... endlessly and unceasing
Rolls of "6" on effectiveness for any design featuring magic or mutation will invoke the RtD rule of 'Gone horribly right', and will feature some unintended consequences.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2017, 08:34:21 pm »

Yea, but... To be fair that sounds like a lot more fun than those other maluses.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2017, 08:51:12 pm »

Not really? At least the other maluses actually have a more widespread effect, whereas Tzeentch's one can just be avoided by not developing daemons or psychic powers (And basically means we're worse off than if we had chosen something else.) Besides, Tzeentch is a fool who somehow loses to a silver banana in a card game.

Undivided's manpower boost is probably the biggest gamechanger there is along side with Nurgle's resilience boost and Slaanesh's speed boost. Mutants might also give the genestealers too many unwanted ideas (AKA ideas we don't want them getting) as well.
Essentially I'll advocate for NOT going for either Khorne or Tzeentch, as both locks us into very specific playstyles, whereas the others allow us to have particularly broad strokes allowing us to really mix things up.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2017, 09:52:48 pm »

Yea, but... To be fair that sounds like a lot more fun than those other maluses.
You forgot to capitalise the "F" there. And I agree, it could indeed be the most entertaining choice. Indeed, we could attempt to defeat the G.M. by setting up proposals that are too stable to mess with or too unstable for a sane mind to comprehend any extreme overshoot. Messing with G.M.s is always amusing. I am still voting Nurgle though, I am shamelessly biased like that.

1 Blood for the blood god, skulls for the skull throne... Archangel
5 Xanatos heel-face double-reacharound dagger of backseeking. KhanBoyzitbig, FallacyofUrist, NirurTorir, blueturtle1134, helmacon
1 What doesn't kill you makes your limbs fall off. RAM
1 How many licks does it take to get to the centre of your Tootsie Pop? Paxiecrunchle
1 lay-offs undecided. Taricus
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2017, 10:07:08 pm »

I think I'll switch my vote to Chaos Undivided. I doubt the daemon disadvantage will be much of a problem; it gives us a useful bonus (which is the direct opposite of the Genestealer disadvantage); and there's probably room to develop units from any of the Gods, even if they're weaker than if we'd dedicated ourselves to one. And I much prefer anything over Tzeentch.
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2017, 10:36:24 pm »

It's seeming like it's leaning towards Tzeentch.
If you guys want to rustle up a name go ahead, otherwise I'll be rolling the turn soon.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2017, 10:54:19 pm »

I think we might want to request another 12 hours to get votes in order, as this is a particularly vital one.

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2017, 10:56:38 pm »

I agree with Taricus, give us some more time to decide.
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2017, 01:16:54 am »

It is a nice idea, but with 55% of the vote on "that which turns sixes from exciting obstacle into doomy doom of doomed doomness" this is not going to change in a hurry. Even if everyone else rose up as one(not happening, Nurgs4life!) it still wouldn't be enough to topple the god of vote rigging...
Read the First Post!

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2017, 02:35:35 am »

Tzeentche, because MAGICS

WARP FIRE!
   BOLT OF CHANGE!
WARP FIRE!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2017, 02:37:58 am »

We will out mutant the bugs.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2017, 06:27:39 am »

And on that note, why do we get a daemon prince instead of some jumped up demagogue? Seems to me if we have a daemon prince we've already won.
Re: Daemon prince. I figured I'd do it to make him statistically equivalent to a Patriarch. It's thematically a stretch, as you say, but the alternative is a lord, sorcerer, or jumped up demagogue.
That's up to you guys.

Anyway it seems that, despite the extra time, Tzeentch is the clear winner.
Chin up, Word bearers wouldn't have helped you that much anyway.

Turn -1
It is now the design phase, you have 5 dice remaining.
Also a name is needed.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 09:02:21 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2017, 10:53:19 am »

Eh, word bearers are as useless as their primarch. But Black legion/Night Lords/Alpha legion support would be far more useful that psykers or daemons. Though a jumped up demagogue would be the most appropriate: We rely more on hordes of cultists rather than a few dead killy units.

Either way, we chose the most useless bonus so we're basically going to have to run naked.

Goliath Technicals
The imperium uses some staggeringly tough trucks in it's mining operation. We would do well to acquire the ability to obtain and manufacture Goliaths to enhance the mobility of the cult's forces (And turn genestealers into roadkill).

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20