Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 39

Author Topic: 888th Brigade OOC thread  (Read 64980 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
Re: 888th Brigade OOC thread
« Reply #300 on: April 09, 2018, 07:42:39 pm »

I'm actually somewhat curious about the press, because it seems like it was our objective to destroy the thing because it would be bad press, but the enemy also went to a lot of trouble to make sure it wouldn't be captured. That doesn't make a lot of sense if it's just a normal press, so they either want to keep this under the rug as much as we do for some reason, or there's something special about that press. Given the game's setting there might even be something magical about it.

So... it might actually be valuable to capture the thing for 888 while keeping it away from public view. Don't ask me how we could possibly accomplish that now, though.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 09, 2018, 08:38:10 pm »

((Nothing of operational value, to be sure.  In fact she only made everything harder for everyone.  Except Simon and Alice, of course~))
((This sounds so mean to me! :'( Why are you all in a restaurant anyway?! What happened to overwatch or looking out for your teammates before there's any confirmation of a battle being finished? WHY are you two even away from the site of operations?! >_> :-\

Also why is there no mention of any civilians outside to the bush-hiding team?))

Sorry Tir, I didn't intend that as an insult.  To be completely fair, I myself hadn't realized that saving the printer was a bad idea until Radio pointed it out after the fact.  And you did do something arguably worthwhile--you saved the building from burning down, and therefore saved a lot of civilians, though that's completely meaningless in terms of mission objectives.
I did kinda post about it explicitly beforehand ._.
Can't find the post in search (only used one keyword due to forgetfulness), but I did underscore the following (the quote links our briefing post):
"We've tracked the paper's distribution back to this area, but we're not sure where it originates from beyond that. I'm an old sailor; this urban skullduggery is not my strong suit. I need you lot to find these spies and shut them down without raising alarm in the area. A public gunfight or raid of some german sympathizing newsmen is bad, but admitting to the existence of German spies in the city is worse.

You'll be given police uniforms for this operation, and during it you are to make no mention of the paper. Instead, say you are hunting for counterfeiters. The needs of a counterfeiter and a printer are similar, large amounts of ink and paper, a printing press, custom etched plates, an so forth, so you should be able to investigate without drawing too much attention. And when you find the printers, try to take them with a limited amount of force. Cover story or not, a firefight in an apartment building is something we wish to avoid.

Any questions?"
So I understood--both in that post way back and here--that 'take them' meant "Go save them for further usage" as I did read in intelligence reports before that tracking can be done if evidence is secured.

I'm actually somewhat curious about the press, because it seems like it was our objective to destroy the thing because it would be bad press, but the enemy also went to a lot of trouble to make sure it wouldn't be captured. That doesn't make a lot of sense if it's just a normal press, so they either want to keep this under the rug as much as we do for some reason, or there's something special about that press. Given the game's setting there might even be something magical about it.

So... it might actually be valuable to capture the thing for 888 while keeping it away from public view. Don't ask me how we could possibly accomplish that now, though.
I just thought 'we're spies in deep territory; if we get captured, we'll get killed (or traded away; there were spy trades back then) so causing the most collateral damage is a must". That was inclusive with my premise above of 'keep the press safe'. :-\

However, I do think anyone, and EVERYONE, should try using their INT rolls here to get an idea out if we can't at the moment. Every turn is just a few minutes, so there's enough time to rally together and coordinate a smoke screen for all of us to get off free--else Piece's next mission may be political.

...Or we can just ask for 'please end mission Piece', and skip the consequences for 'escape the police'! I do believe they know a special team is in this area anyway. :B

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 10, 2018, 05:43:32 pm »

As far as I can see, our two main objectives right now are to 1) get rid of evidence that would make it clear to the police that there were German spies operating here, and 2) get out ASAP to avoid getting caught/spotted by the popo. I think that as long as we can get those done, then Bones and his people will be able to concoct some sort of cover story to explain away what happened here. Getting perfect stealth is long past gone, and trying to get our own cover story up (as some people suggested) doesn't seem like it's our job anyway, as long as we don't make it impossible for the propaganda to deal with it later on.

Now, if I were the person responsible for coming up with the plans (which I am not, luckily) then one possible plan could be something like this:
1) Have the driver (Strider/Bob?) go fetch the truck Tir mentioned Tala had prepared.
2) Have 2 people (Radioman and someone hanging out in the hall?) covertly get the dead Germans into the truck.
3) Have 2 people fetch that guy we captured before and silently and non-suspiciously get him into the truck as well.
4) Have 2/3 people and the current driver get away with the bodies and exfiltrate. The remaining dude will prepare the original car Bob is in right now to make sure the getaway of the people still in the hotel is swift.
5) Have remaining people in the hotel (about 2-3 I think?) destroy the printing press, magazines and other evidence such as the tripwire setup. Then they get out of the hotel into the waiting car and GTFO.
6) Alice and Simon suuubtle remove grenade casings (from the incendiary nades mostly I suspect) or the like that got are scattered about where Tala dropped them, then split up and move away from the target area. Preferably in such a way they can inform the rest of the team if any police is incoming.

This should get rid of the most important evidence while still getting us out in (hopefully) 2-3 turns. Any more than that and we're seriously risking police confrontation (hell, they might be here before then already). We have radio comms to each other and it's not a split second turn, so coordinating this should technically be possible, if we wanted to. This probably misses some things though, I didn't doublecheck any of it, and I'm not gonna set it up in-game.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 11, 2018, 12:20:42 am »

5) Have remaining people in the hotel (about 2-3 I think?) destroy the printing press, magazines and other evidence such as the tripwire setup. Then they get out of the hotel into the waiting car and GTFO.
I don't have a truck, I've a van ._. But still! Can we NOT destroy the press and instead have it in holding or at least salvage the papers and information that we can get, nearby? (I mean if this 'press' isn't holding any information and is just a tool, then it can be salvaged, but any related infomation must be saved--that's at least what I've got here).

That means ANYONE ELSE NOT ME has to search this room because I'm busy tending to the wounded -.-

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 11, 2018, 05:29:35 am »

I don't have a truck, I've a van ._. But still! Can we NOT destroy the press and instead have it in holding or at least salvage the papers and information that we can get, nearby? (I mean if this 'press' isn't holding any information and is just a tool, then it can be salvaged, but any related infomation must be saved--that's at least what I've got here).

That means ANYONE ELSE NOT ME has to search this room because I'm busy tending to the wounded -.-

Duly noted, van-san. But seriously, as far as I'm aware gathering clues or information about their operation was not one of our primary objectives. We had to: #1 disrupt their operation, #2 make sure the public doesn't find out there were German spies at work here, and #3 do it without notice. We've accomplished #1 and failed #3, so now we have to try and get #2.

"We've tracked the paper's distribution back to this area, but we're not sure where it originates from beyond that. I'm an old sailor; this urban skullduggery is not my strong suit. I need you lot to find these spies and shut them down without raising alarm in the area. A public gunfight or raid of some german sympathizing newsmen is bad, but admitting to the existence of German spies in the city is worse.

You'll be given police uniforms for this operation, and during it you are to make no mention of the paper. Instead, say you are hunting for counterfeiters. The needs of a counterfeiter and a printer are similar, large amounts of ink and paper, a printing press, custom etched plates, an so forth, so you should be able to investigate without drawing too much attention. And when you find the printers, try to take them with a limited amount of force. Cover story or not, a firefight in an apartment building is something we wish to avoid.

Gathering more info is a nice side bonus at most, but right now I don' think we have the time for anything like that. I mean, you wanna disassemble the press and smuggle all the parts down into the van? I'd wager that would take way more time than just piling up the evidence and setting it alight or something (perhaps some controlled demo from Ed?). We could just destroy the German papers and grenade trap remainders and leave the press I suppose, that'd still go with our cover story, but I'm not sure what the police would be able to learn from the press if they got their hands on it. I could imagine there are some noticeable differences between a press set up for counterfeiting compared to one set up for newspaper printing. So, I think destroying the press prevents that from being a problem, while still working with our current cover story should Bones go for that.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 05:36:18 am by Radio Controlled »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 11, 2018, 07:05:58 am »

Ed would certainly be fine with setting up a controlled demolition.

Maybe our boss for hte mission (the Admiral) could send a response team to take over and clean up the mess though? Report in, suggest that a gas leak or some such (even a mad gunman and some weird-ass counterfeiters) were responsible for the explosion, have some official looking people come and cordon off the area. Our admiral certainly has some influence over what the Police do in this situation, I am sure.

I think the main goal of secrecy was "Let's not let word spread (to the public) that there were German spies, for the sake of morale, and so that we don't start a panic or a witch hunt." SO I don't think keeping the police absolutely out of the loop is necessary.

The "try not to have a gunfight in a hotel" part was because a) it would draw teh public's attention, and b) collateral damage.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 11, 2018, 07:28:12 am »

Yeah, that's something I'm not sure of: how much pull do our higher-ups have with the local constable? If they have enough to immediately shut down the investigation that's sure to follow, or have a follow-up 'containment' team at the ready, we don't have to worry about it and can just leave right now. But we don't really know that (afaik) so I think the safer gamble is on trying to at least remove the dead bodies, captured spy and the newspapers from the premises, that way it'll be easier to spin up whatever story later. We weren't given any line to the local police chief, right?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 11, 2018, 07:46:40 am »

I don't think we were given any contacts with the police, no. Well, either way, we'll see how things pan out, I guess.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 27, 2018, 07:48:30 am »

I wonder if Ed (and possibly even Radio) are gonna get court-martialed. That would be something.

OOh! it could even set the stage for a special prison break kind of mission, like, they are putting us in jail with some notorious baddies, and we are to make friends with the baddies and 'escape' with them and find their secret lair, only to have the baddies turn on us, but then our friends rescue us at the last moment and foil the evil schemesTM of hte prison baddies.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #309 on: April 27, 2018, 08:54:20 am »

Curious where the idea that the printing press should be destroyed came from.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 27, 2018, 09:08:38 am »

Spoiler: Last Page (click to show/hide)

Yeah, our cover story justified the existence of a press, but our cover story kinda flew out the window when we decided to deal with the Nazis by the exact method we were told not to use.  At that point our objectives kinda swapped from "Take out the Nazis cleanly and quietly" to "Oh god oh god clean everything up that might possibly help anyone figure out what happened".

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 27, 2018, 09:12:29 am »

Yeah, our cover story justified the existence of a press, but our cover story kinda flew out the window when we decided to deal with the Nazis by the exact method we were told not to use.  At that point our objectives kinda swapped from "Take out the Nazis cleanly and quietly" to "Oh god oh god clean everything up that might possibly help anyone figure out what happened".
"They were armed and opened fire on us."
Seriously, part of why I jumped out of the van was to concoct and use this cover story, maybe act as a 'leftover investigator' of the counterfeiting team while patching up the damage because 'wow this was really some bust, like seriously all we had were heavy pistols and they decided to blow up the place.'

They (their situation) are the stuffing of counter-stories.
UGH THAT WAS WHAT CONFUSED ME AND HAD ME DOUBTING AND LED ME TO AGREE TO HIT IT BECAUSE NOBODY SAID ANYTHING OTHERWISE AND YES THIS IS IN FULL CAPS FOR EXACTLY THAT REASON

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 27, 2018, 09:25:19 am »

"They were armed and opened fire on us."
Seriously, part of why I jumped out of the van was to concoct and use this cover story, maybe act as a 'leftover investigator' of the counterfeiting team while patching up the damage because 'wow this was really some bust, like seriously all we had were heavy pistols and they decided to blow up the place.'

They (their situation) are the stuffing of counter-stories.
UGH THAT WAS WHAT CONFUSED ME AND HAD ME DOUBTING AND LED ME TO AGREE TO HIT IT BECAUSE NOBODY SAID ANYTHING OTHERWISE AND YES THIS IS IN FULL CAPS FOR EXACTLY THAT REASON

BECAUSE NOBODY SAID ANYTHING OTHERWISE

I hate you.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 27, 2018, 09:28:56 am »

I hate you.
Commonly when people say nobody, it's indirect and non-specific, because the idea in mind is an impression of the closest group opposite of what was meant. Like back there, it's influenced by many things, foremost being my confusion, me being utterly sick, and me not including Edward Bohring in that 'nobody' because he said something but then my attention was to another thought. :P

That's impulsivity in writing. Causes tons of miscommunication.

>_>
<.<
But honestly, I really do feel bad that the timing of communication came without reassuring notifications at that time. If there were any, I most likely missed it given the prevailing confusion that I still typed about up here. :-[

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 27, 2018, 09:32:04 am »

:D

It's okay. Just consider the 'I hate you' as a figure of speech too.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 39