Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Learning about all our Dwarf Fortress Rocks!  (Read 53355 times)

GreyMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Learning about all our Dwarf Fortress Rocks!
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2008, 04:32:00 pm »

Impending Doom has died after colliding with an obstacle.
t''s not illegal. The government just doesn''t want you doing it.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2008, 04:39:00 pm »

You're not a very gneiss person, GreyMario, why don't you cool your Jets?

*Giggle*

Shoes...

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2008, 06:06:00 pm »

CHALK:

Chalk (pronounced /ˈtʃɔːk/) is a soft, white, porous sedimentary rock, a form of limestone composed of the mineral calcite. It forms under relatively deep marine conditions from the gradual accumulation of minute calcite plates (coccoliths) shed from micro-organisms called coccolithophores. It is common to find flint and chert nodules embedded in chalk.

GRANITE

Granite (pronounced /ˈɡrænɪt/) is a common and widely occurring type of intrusive, felsic, igneous rock. Granite has a medium to coarse texture, occasionally with some individual crystals larger than the groundmass forming a rock known as porphyry. Granites can be pink to dark gray or even black, depending on their chemistry and mineralogy. Outcrops of granite tend to form tors, and rounded massifs. Granites sometimes occur in circular depressions surrounded by a range of hills, formed by the metamorphic aureole or hornfels.
Granite is an igneous rock and is formed from magma. Granitic magma has many potential origins but it must intrude other rocks. Most granite intrusions are emplaced at depth within the crust, usually greater than 1.5 kilometres and up to 50 km depth within thick continental crust. The origin of granite is contentious and has led to varied schemes of classification. Classification schemes are regional; there is a French scheme, a British scheme and an American scheme. This confusion arises because the classification schemes define granite by different means. Generally the 'alphabet-soup' classification is used because it classifies based on genesis or origin of the magma.
Granite is a normal, geological, source of radiation in the natural environment. Granite contains around 10 to 20 parts per million of uranium. By contrast, more mafic rocks such as tonalite, gabbro or diorite have 1 to 5 ppm uranium, and limestones and sedimentary rocks usually have equally low amounts.

DIORITE

Diorite is an extremely hard rock, making it difficult to carve and work with. It is so hard that ancient civilizations (such as Ancient Egypt) used diorite balls to work granite. Its hardness, however, also allows it to be worked finely and take a high polish, and to provide a durable finished work. Thus, major works in diorite tend to be important.

One comparatively frequent use of diorite was for inscription, as it is easier to carve in relief than in three-dimensional statuary. Perhaps the most famous diorite work extant is the Code of Hammurabi, inscribed upon a 2 metre (7 ft) pillar of black diorite. The original can be seen today in Paris' Musée de Louvre[2]. A few large statues remain, including several statues of King Khafre in the Egyptian Museum. The use of diorite in art was most important among very early Middle Eastern civilizations such as Ancient Egypt, Babylonia, Assyria and Sumer. It was so valued in early times that the first great Mesopotamian empire -- the Empire of Sargon of Akkad -- listed the taking of diorite as a purpose of military expeditions.

GABBRO

Gabbro (pronounced /ˈɡæbrəʊ/) is a dark, coarse-grained, intrusive igneous rock chemically equivalent to basalt. It is a plutonic rock, formed when molten magma is trapped beneath the Earth's surface and cools into a crystalline mass.

The vast majority of the Earth's surface is underlain by gabbro within the oceanic crust, produced by basalt magmatism at mid-ocean ridges. Gabbro is dense, greenish or dark-colored and contains varied percentages of pyroxene, plagioclase, amphibole, and olivine (olivine gabbro when olivine is present in large quantities).

RHYOLITE

Rhyolite is an igneous, volcanic (extrusive) rock, of felsic (silicon-rich) composition (typically >69% SiO2 — see the TAS classification). It may have any texture from aphanitic to porphyritic. The mineral assemblage is usually quartz, alkali feldspar and plagioclase (in a ratio > 1:2 — see the QAPF diagram). Biotite and hornblende are common accessory minerals.

Rhyolite can be considered as the extrusive equivalent to the plutonic granite rock, and consequently, outcroppings of it often bear a resemblance to granite. Due to their high content of silica and low iron and magnesium contents, rhyolites polymerize quickly and form highly viscous lavas. They can also occur as breccias or in volcanic necks and dykes. Rhyolites that cool too quickly to grow crystals form a natural glass or vitrophyre, also called obsidian. Slower cooling forms microscopic crystals in the lava and results in textures such as flow foliations, spherulitic, nodular, and lithophysal structures.

BASALT:

Basalt (pronounced /ˈbæsɒlt, bəˈsɔːlt/) is a common mafic extrusive volcanic rock. It is usually gray to black and fine-grained due to rapid cooling of lava at the surface of a planet. It may be porphyritic containing larger crystals in a fine matrix, or vesicular, or frothy scoria. Unweathered basalt is black or gray.
On Earth, most basalt magmas have formed by decompression melting of the mantle. Basalt has also formed on Earth's Moon, Mars, Venus, and even on the asteroid Vesta. Source rocks for the partial melts probably include both peridotite and pyroxenite (e.g., Sobolev et al., 2007). The crustal portions of oceanic tectonic plates are composed predominantly of basalt, produced from upwelling mantle below ocean ridges.
The term basalt is at times applied to shallow intrusive rocks with a composition typical of basalt, but rocks of this composition with a phaneritic (coarse) groundmass are generally referred to as dolerite (also called diabase) or gabbro.

ANDESITE

Andesite (pronounced /ˈændəsaɪt/) is an igneous, volcanic rock, of intermediate composition, with aphanitic to porphyritic texture. The mineral assembly is typically dominated by plagioclase plus pyroxene and/or hornblende. Biotite, quartz, magnetite, sphene are common accessory minerals. Alkali feldspar may be present in minor amounts. The quartz-feldspar abundances in andesite and other volcanic rocks are illustrated in QAPF diagrams. Relative alkali and silica contents are illustrated in TAS diagrams.
Classification of andesites may be refined according to the most abundant phenocryst. Example: hornblende-phyric andesite, if hornblende is the principal accessory mineral.
Andesite can be considered as the extrusive equivalent to plutonic diorite. Andesites are characteristic of subduction tectonic environments in active oceanic margins, such as the western coast of South America. The name andesite is derived from the Andes mountain range.

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2008, 06:53:00 pm »

Geology nerd here! Mind if I help out?

Nice thread so far though. Great idea for people who don't know alot about rocks.

Devath

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Insane Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2008, 06:55:00 pm »

This thread is awesome :P
"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup." - Unknown

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2008, 08:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fualkner:
<STRONG>Geology nerd here! Mind if I help out?

Nice thread so far though. Great idea for people who don't know alot about rocks.</STRONG>

If you want to go into more detail, sure. I'm just basically copying from Wikipedia. If I get anything wrong or if somethings hard to understand, let me know.

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2008, 10:16:00 pm »

This thread is made of win for two reasons:

1) Informative
2) Oh, the puns...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2008, 11:51:00 am »

Heh, this reminds me of my first day of the z-level version.  

Looking around a local map and feeding all my rock types and ores into wikipedia so I can try to figure out exactly where I should dig.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2008, 12:35:00 pm »

Let me conglomerate you for this thread, it's the schist!

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2008, 01:18:00 pm »

There's a big ol' cabinet full of rocks in the lobby of the physical science building here, the most DF related being native copper, a couple varieties of obsidian, and picture jasper.  Also the anthro building has a rhesus macaque skeleton.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2008, 04:09:00 pm »

QUARTZITE

:eek: )

Microcline is potassium-rich feldspar. Feldspar is a very common rock which makes up 60% of the Earth's crust. The type we are familiar with is called Amanzonite. It is rather rare, only formed in a mountain in Russia and Pike's Peak, CO. It is sometimes used as a gemstone, even though it breaks easily.

All for now, I must be off.

[ April 24, 2008: Message edited by: Fualkner ]

[ April 24, 2008: Message edited by: Fualkner ]

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2008, 05:55:00 pm »

Wow, all those puns were something to marble a-

Gaulgath has been struck down.

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2008, 08:20:00 pm »

quote:
even though it breaks easily

Man, I should reconsider my fortress of Microcline.

Neskiairti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Trust me, dont look.
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2008, 09:31:00 pm »

argh.. i hate microline.. though in my current fortress id be happy to find some.. ;.; bassalt bassalt and more bassalt with a few splashes of alunite and some other specs of whatnot in there...
The New Moo!

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2008, 09:44:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Gaulgath:
<STRONG>Wow, all those puns were something to marble a-

Gaulgath has been struck down.</STRONG>

You need to be more careful when you feldspar!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7