Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: New Fourmdwarfs?  (Read 2509 times)

Bryan Baywood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Fourmdwarfs?
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2008, 05:58:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Muffles:
<STRONG>

Lucky.  None of my friends play roguelikes, or any video games for that matter.</STRONG>

Same. I've made it my personal goal to get any one friend of mine, new or old, to play a roguelike game. I got two of them to play ADOM, but they both dropped it after a short while.

Is it because all my friends are girls? Girls who play games are rare enough... Girls who play RPGs are a little rarer. Girls who play roguelikes.... Well, people in general who've even heard of roguelikes are rare enough as it is.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2008, 06:01:00 pm »

Essentially the same thing for me.  I have one friend who would play Dwarf Fortress, but he's afraid of downloads.  The rest of my friends are girls, and none of them play video games, and none of them can be convinced.
Shoes...

Nite/m4re

• Bay Watcher
  • Too Deep
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2008, 07:38:00 pm »

Found a topic about dwarf fortress in Mount&Blade forums! Downloaded it, but in the end didn't even install it. 2 months later, I find it in the depths of my HD. Tried it. Loved it.   :cool:

mrchinchin25

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2008, 08:12:00 pm »

I'd heard about it and added it to "The BackBurner" for a rainy day.

Then read about it on Rock Paper Shotgun ( http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/ ) which I'm rapidly becoming a big fan of.

I think DF was installed and played during my "Indy Game" period January 2008, which went something like -

Ufo Alien Invasion > Armageddon Empires > Dwarf Fortress > Mount and Blade

So far a productive year has been had!

[ March 02, 2008: Message edited by: mrchinchin25 ]

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2008, 03:03:00 pm »

How can i get to #b12games channel in irc? Can anyone give me coordinates please?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2008, 02:29:00 am »

Found the game from the enormous mass of links that is the homepage of the comic strip Nodwick. I was expecting a little Java applet.

Ha ha ha.

Loaded it up and was totally blown away...Once I figured out the interface. After reading the ==+Chronicle of Nist Akath+==, I was basically hooked. I haven't lost a fortress yet (I usually get bored around Year 3), but I've never had one of those exciting games where you're under constant fire by gobbos, cave spiders, or skelks either. Mostly I just build ridiculous engineering projects.

Though I *do* love my latest cliff fortress, The Waters of Oblivion, which is guarded on three sides by rivers brim-full of Killer Death Carp.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2008, 02:39:00 am »

Want some fun?  Go into the raws and add the [PET] tag to carp, and then try and catch a few.  You should be able to tame them using that, but I'm not sure how well cage traps work underwater.

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2008, 02:46:00 am »

Wow! Never thought of that, but I might have to try it. My current solution is just to dig a channel on each side of my entry and put drawbridges over them. It's great - to reach the fort you have to cross one or the other, and if they raise up while you do, you get flung into the *other* channel where the Death Carp lurk. (I think...This was tested using the kitten surplus. Not sure if gobbo weight will change the distance.)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]