Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: New Fourmdwarfs?  (Read 2506 times)

Donkringel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Fourmdwarfs?
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2008, 01:08:00 pm »

I actually don't remember how I got involved. It was either a free games article on gamespy, a link from somethingawful, or random lucky find.

I started playing at the end of the 2d life, I had finally figured out how to play for the most part when the switch to 3d came.

Old School Gamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.arthuman.com
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2008, 01:51:00 pm »

I read about it in PC Gamer probably a year or so ago, and thought "that looks cool", but was playing GalCiv2 at the time so didn't look into it.

Then I saw another reference to it on one of the independent gaming sites (around the time that I'd grown totally jaded with all commercial & mainstream game offerings). The dude who referenced it on the site obviously was having immense fun with the game, so I took a much closer look at DF.. since then DF has been the only game I've played.

I've been playing computer games since the age of 4, starting in 1984, and the only game that still gives that old school feeling of fun is DF;  but I've drifted away from gaming quite a bit in the last couple of years,  played everything there is to play.  The fact that DF can hold the rapt attention of even as jaded an old-time gamer as me is a testament to its genius.

The thing I love most about DF is that you can make of your game whatever you want it to be, you've got the tools to create and carve out something that's your own on each map that you play.. there really isn't any other game that even remotely has this creative aspect of such depth to it.  So DF keeps me hooked.

It's amazing how much a game can accomplish by simply letting the gamer have room to use his/her imagination.  I think that this is what old school Apple/Commodore games had going for them, and my fondest memories are from games that had this element to them.

Anyway, long post, but long live DF.

Currently Playing:  DF, Galciv2, Eschelon Book 1, Helherron, Unreal World.

Currently Playing With: Linux.

Going to Buy: Warhammer Online, Space Rangers: Reloaded, Stardock's MoM Clone.
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2008, 02:53:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hyperturtle:
<STRONG>someone posted about decent free games.  I had grown tired of bioshock, so I figured I'd give this a whirl!</STRONG>

Yeah, I decided not to buy BioShock and donate here instead. Much better expenditure of my money, I believe.

I found this game through reading about LCS somewhere, checking it out long ago, forget when now. Then about 1 1\2 years ago I decided to give LCS another roll and saw this other game which looked cool. One of the best games I've ever seen, by a long shot!

C0nscript

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2008, 03:22:00 pm »

My friend at my job showed me boatmurdered. Been playing it ever since

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2008, 03:23:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Old School Gamer:
<STRONG>
The thing I love most about DF is that you can make of your game whatever you want it to be, you've got the tools to create and carve out something that's your own on each map that you play.. there really isn't any other game that even remotely has this creative aspect of such depth to it.  So DF keeps me hooked.

It's amazing how much a game can accomplish by simply letting the gamer have room to use his/her imagination.  I think that this is what old school Apple/Commodore games had going for them, and my fondest memories are from games that had this element to them.</STRONG>

Well said! This aspect draws me to DF, as well.

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2008, 03:25:00 pm »

a thread by bricktop on newgrounds.com
Bullion cancels witty informative post: Interrupted by Logic

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2008, 11:40:00 pm »

Some migrants have arrived! Ready the drowning chamber!

EDIT: Heh. Welcome to the forums! Mind the carp.

[ March 01, 2008: Message edited by: Tahin ]

frostedfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2008, 11:44:00 pm »

you're not even going to make them wrestle each other to the death for a military when all the weapon traps gum up?
the spinning bb round hits jack johnson, scumbag in the lower body!
it is pierced through entirely!
his right kidney has been poked out!
his liver has been mangled!

jack johnson, raider has been shot and killed.

The above (including bbcode) neatly weighs in at 255 characters. Fallout meets DF

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
  • The kart iz not movink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2008, 03:16:00 am »

My brother read about it in a PC magazine and knew I played roguelikes and told me about it. And here I am.

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2008, 09:37:00 am »

Relic forums.

Then I linked my friend.

This fandom is infectous. XD

Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2008, 11:39:00 am »

Post on /v/. I started early in the 3D version, got totally overwhelmed, came back around 33d, addicted ever since.

My first act in any fort is usually to drill a staircase down to the bottom z-level to prove to myself that I still remember how to use stairs. =)

Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

Jamini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2008, 11:51:00 am »

Read a thead about this in the forums for the game Battle For Wesnoth, and got hooked immediatly once I learned how to play.
Tales to remember from Bay12:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=41896.0

GENERATION -23:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and subtract 1 from the generation. Social experiment.

avari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2008, 12:31:00 pm »

I heard of DF a year or two ago (2D version times anyway). A friend of mine visited me and showed me a topic on DF on some message/image board thingy. The funny thing is that this friend of mine never played DF himself and actually can't stand games that are this complicated, but he thought I might be interested.. All praise to him :P

So on this image board topic there were a few general "this game r0x" messages and one screenshot. The screenshot was a large image of a classic 2D fort, maybe a few game years old, with a road, river, cave river, chasm, magma river, stockpiles, dining rooms, hallways upon hallways and thousands of ASCII icons about which I had no idea whatsoever what they meant :D So naturally I was instantly and completely hooked.

Even though I couldn't understand more than 1% of the screenshot, I could see that this was obviously a free-form simulation/design game with advanced ASCII/roguelike graphics. A whole another thing is that I couldn't believe my eyes. The format was so simple yet so completely incredulous. Actually I thought back then that this was the ultimate game format for me. And I still think that. The Z-axis and other developments have just made it even more ultimate than before.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2008, 01:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Cajoes:
<STRONG>Relic forums.

Then I linked my friend.

This fandom is infectous. XD</STRONG>

Lucky.  None of my friends play roguelikes, or any video games for that matter.

Shoes...

Dedas

• Bay Watcher
  • The dwarf next door
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2008, 01:08:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Ronar:
<STRONG>I play another game called Dominions, and someone mentioned DF on their forum. They said DF was awesome and FREE. So I checked it out, and now have no life to speak of. Very glad to have found it.</STRONG>

Ha ha ha ha!

But deep inside I feel somewhat guilty...  :)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4