Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: New Fourmdwarfs?  (Read 2507 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: New Fourmdwarfs?
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 06:07:00 pm »

It was fun to find the DF.

In civfatatics forums (Civilization 4) I used to be a starting modder, and someone said: "we can make plump helmets, special fungi, for our dwarves" in our fantasy mod thread. Also he added:"Do not try to google plump helmets, or you can loose your life", something like that.
Should I mention I googled it immideately?  :)

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 06:16:00 pm »

I was browsing the forums for the half-life 2 mod "Zombie Master" (a fun little RTS) there was a dwarf fortress topic. Gradually it grew on me,
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008, 06:20:00 pm »

I learned about it from a GFW freeloader article.  Now I do *something* related to DF every day, whether modding or actual playing.  

I don't have access to my main computer temporarily and spent 3 hours putting all my modifications on a version of DF on this computer...even though I'll have a replacement mobo for my main computer in just 2 days making everything I do on this computer irrelevant.

I have also been trying to recruit all my friends into DF fandom.  But I think all I'm doing is make them think of doing an intervention.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Bryan Baywood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2008, 08:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Lazer Bomb:
<STRONG>The games for windows article looked cool, so i came to check it out. (on wikipedia, see the 3rd page, thats what looked the coolest.)

Yeah, i know that was even before 3dness, but i still fell like a new player.</STRONG>

Hey, that's the same as me! I was thinking "Damn, have I already played all the decent free games?..." I hadn't! DF is by far the raddest game I've played, well, next to ADOM. It's my 'engineering' mindset, from before I dropped out of university. :P

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2008, 08:54:00 pm »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2008, 09:18:00 pm »

I'm new in a cosmic sort of way, I've known about it for a month or so.  I've never lost a fortress to natural means, I tend to become self-destructive when I get bored of a fortress, and see how quickly/creatively I can kill everyone.
Shoes...

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2008, 09:26:00 pm »

someone posted about decent free games.  I had grown tired of bioshock, so I figured I'd give this a whirl!
igless

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2008, 10:02:00 pm »

I still consider myself new.  I did start playing about a month before the Z-level version of DF was released, but I've only posted about 5 times here since then.  That means I'm still a noob, in my book.

At another forum I go to, someone tried (and failed) to get a DF succession game going.  A link to Boatmurdered had been posted, I read it, and realized that I had been introduced to a truly epic game.

"The power of Zefon compels you!"

DuncanFrost

• Bay Watcher
  • Urban Legendary
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt account.
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2008, 04:55:00 am »

I subscribe to PCGamer, and when I saw their article I headed straight for this site   :D . I've got about sixty copies of it, so don't ask me which issue it was   :p
Toady looses a roaring laughter, fell and terrible!
Toady has butchered a spammer!

Anonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2008, 06:52:00 am »

I was referred to DF by a friend back in early 2007.

I'm still not very good though.

Foul_Jester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2008, 07:30:00 am »

Every night I dip my hands into the aether that is the internets and pull out something interesting...  About a year ago it was DF, I was already addicted to LCS and I figured what the hell, if this Toady guy programmed such an awesome game on his own then I want to see what else he's capable of.
Now I'm a fortress junkie.
 seek the dying, the sick and deformed; all who would taint the species
stabbing and choking and burning and drowning exterminate subhuman feces

TimeOut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2008, 11:22:00 am »

Was linked to Boatmurdered, iirc from the GITP forums.

Ferahgo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2008, 11:22:00 am »

I honestly don't remember where I heard about it; I've been playing since, uh, maybe a year before z-levels went in. Well, more like six months or so; when I first downloaded it, I didn't know about the wiki, I had no idea what any of the graphics symbolized, I, well, in short I had no idea how to play. I fumbled around a bit, then abandoned it.
After a while, I gave it another whirl. Now I'm hooked. (Also, I'm proud to say that, last night, I had my first catastrophy ever; a werewolf wiped out half of my dwarves and most of my livestock, and everyone else has been forced to retreat indoors. It's suprising how scary a little white 'W' can be.)

creodor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2008, 11:44:00 am »

A friend at school kept on talking about the game every time we spoke, and after a couple months of listening to him I realized I needed to just go download the game and see what was so awesome. That was on a Saturday morning. Next time I looked outside, it was dark, the stars were out, and everyone else was asleep. I started playing something like three days after the last non z-level release. . .
Free Game List

fish are drowning again ~Fourth Triad

eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2008, 12:52:00 pm »

It's had a lot of coverage in the indie gaming community for a while now. Every few months I'd read something about it, stop by, see it was still Windows only and move on. The last time I read something it was about efforts to port it to the Mac, so I came by to see if I could help. Luckily for me MattMoss had basically finished the Kobold Quest port, and Toady is a fast worker, so I'll finally be able to join in on the "fun".
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4