Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18

Author Topic: AVATAR PROPHECY  (Read 17832 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: AVATAR LEGEND [Character Sheets]
« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2017, 11:24:32 pm »

Optimism. Opportunistic. Wild. Fortuna
· Roll a 20 each update to respawn.
· No significant injuries; moderate blows knock you out.
· No significant injuries; anything more makes you dizzy, knocks you out, or kills you outright. Being knocked out leaves you open to a death blow if attacked before a player or NPC awakens you.

Bravery. Determination. Pride. Freya
· Win 3 fights in Valhalla to respawn.
· Hampering temporary injuries; major blows knock you out.
· Hampering temporary injuries; anything more makes you dizzy, knocks you out, or kills you outright. Being knocked out leaves you open to a death blow if attacked before a player or NPC awakens you.

Mercy. Decisiveness. Death. Charon
· Accept offered contracts to respawn at Death's Door or after passing over.
· Realism. Realistic injuries; wake quickly from being knocked out. Being knocked out leaves you open to a death blow if attacked before a player or NPC awakens you.

Fun. Inventiveness. Blood. Armok
· Permadeath.
· Stay aware after traumatic and gruesome injuries. Realistic injuries, gets dizzy instead of knocked out.

Leonard 5LP, Blake 5LP, Fbzib 5LP
Fbzib
Shapechanging, Cosmic Blast, Portal Summoning, Newform Mobility, Newform Attacking
Blake
G.S. Weilding, Aura Powers, Shadow Clones, Night-Vision, Faunus Hearing
Leonard
Smallgame Kills, Sprinting, Climbing, Parasitism, Jungle Camo

Using an ability shrinks the challenge die, but does not increase your roll directly.

You can spend Luck Points to do this. But you can only spend LP on a single ability once per chapter. Be sure to make your 5 abilities all equally useful and varied. These are your tools.

You can swap out one ability between chapters. (feel free to fill in any unknowns now)

Meet the Beholders!

Freya
Upon death you must win three times in the Avatar Vs Avatar thread. You can be revived after the current chapter.
You get a luck point each time you do something deemed notably 'stubborn or valiant'.

Charon
Upon death you can be revived upon agreeing to a contract. (Blind D6) you may haggle.
You get a luck point each time you do something deemed notably 'merciful or direct'.

Armok
Upon death you must change your avatar and character to play again.
You get a luck point each time you do something deemed notably 'amusing or bloody'.

(You also get 5/5 luck points at the end of every chapter)

New description terms:

Name: Fbzib
Beholder: Freya
Species: Energy Wisp
Role: Cosmic Terror
Nature: Villainous
Size: Medium 3

Name: Blake
Beholder: Armok
Species: Faunus
Role: Swordwoman
Nature: Cautious
Size: Medium 4

Name: Leonard
Beholder: Freya
Species: Lizardman
Role: Immortal
Nature: Inquisitive
Size: Medium 2

Size enters the fray! This will be used anytime it is relavent. Please choose your size.

Size
The number is mostly tied to standing height, while the word is for bulk or 'personal space'. (taken from HeroScape)

Small 1: cat or smaller
Small 2: fox
Small 3: wolf
Medium 4: peasant
Medium 5: gorilla, knight
Medium 6: bear, valkyrie
Large 5: hyena rider
Large 6: calvary
Large 10: giraffe
Huge 6: pegasus
Huge 7: elephant
Huge 8: mammoth

Beyond that I was looking at some finer tweaking of terms, such as(perhaps..) changing: Rabbit, Crab, Python..
to something like Traveler, Explorer, and Adventurer.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 03:49:10 pm by roseheart »
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2017, 11:26:36 pm »

Heat can work, do we have to completely redo our old descriptions all over again now?

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #92 on: September 26, 2017, 12:11:28 am »

My goal is to make the structure that each next host can have the initial tools to hang their custom rules on. Paxle this is like the alpha, so there will be lots of changes.

At this moment, no.
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
  • A sarcastic, weird nerd of many things. That's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2017, 09:04:28 am »

First of all: Why is the death setting where you actually perma-die not the Realistic one? That makes no sense, because if Charon's one is realistic, then that character just coming back would make no sense thematically. Maybe we can swap those around: the Charon setting lets you stay aware and alive because the God of Death (who may or may not be Charon, we don't know the lore of the place) knows he can cut a deal with you, and thus supernaturally increases your survivability. The Armok setting, meanwhile, would be realistic, as Armok/Whatever God of War the GM picks wants to challenge his champions. As a result, he would just let them bleed out, get knocked out, and all around get knackered to drive the point home that he is the God of War and wants to see carnage.

Secondly: I actually like the Luck Points and Ability tree you gave. Good job.

Thirdly: Just more of a Lore question, but can the Beholders be changed/added to due to any additional Gods or Divine Beings being added? Like, The Devil can fill in the "Charon" roll and cut deals, only the deals are different? Or there's a Beholder who tasks you to murder a celestial being while still in this thread in order to be sent back?

And finally, I do like the size and description changes. Those are nice.
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.
I desire, for whatever reason, to create Space Louisiana.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #94 on: September 26, 2017, 10:32:19 am »

First of all: Why is the death setting where you actually perma-die not the Realistic one? That makes no sense, because if Charon's one is realistic, then that character just coming back would make no sense thematically.
Realism is his wounds and it DOES make sense thematically. Fortuna makes you lucky and never get injuries. Freya makes you hardy. Charon leaves it alone. Armok gives you the ability to keep it together through the blood.

who may or may not be Charon, we don't know the lore of the place.
These figures are the least intrusive that we could possibly get. We've already accepted that Valhalla is the avatar vs. avatar thread Freya is literally the valkyrie who brings you to Valhalla. Charon is where the Grim Reaper comes from it is the actual only real name for the character other than the Grim Reaper, and he has already become a part of this Legend. Lady Luck her name is literally Fortuna she is an important character in The roll to dodge community. Armok is the god of blood. He also is a symbol of the player in Dwarf Fortress and in a sense mischief. And he's definitely an important figure in Bay 12 and we had a permit death option already and it felt like a natural neutral person to put in there that was not obtrusive. All these felt like slots clicking I didn't feel like I was adding my own twist I felt like I was just revealing what was already there surrounding the situation. How you use these figures or if you even ignore them as a host it doesn't matter they're all very neutral and they come from a very logical and natural place.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #95 on: September 26, 2017, 10:39:42 am »

Charon is the realism option because if your character gets a slow (or boring death) realism is pretty broad, Charon can put you out of your misery. However you could come back yes. From gameplay perspective Charon allows it to be reasonable when you have realistic damage. Just think if you get in a coma, that's f****** boring from a gameplay perspective. But Charon could visit you in your dreams and offer to kill you.

Armok and his version is pretty close to realism but it is in the way that makes sense for a game.. You can have all the injuries you can have all the blood but you'll still be able to play further into it instead of blacking out so easily.

Edit: Also some of this is based on your feedback.
The Armok option is toned down from an earlier option:
@Greatness

If you want your arm chop-off-able, or to lose all your teeth from a hammer to the face, you'll want python.

Well, I guess that makes sense. Us Humans can survive a lot of messed up stuff. (Yet, we can break our necks by tripping in the wrong way...hm.)

Let me change it, then I'll post in the IC thread.
Now the survival rate is normal, and just the ability to stay aware is enhanced.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 11:09:13 am by roseheart »

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 26, 2017, 02:41:17 pm »

Okay, then. I like edits you made. Charon and Armok having realistic injuries is awesome, and how you explained it makes sense. Thank you for breaking it down.
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #97 on: September 26, 2017, 03:23:10 pm »

As for The Devil/Satin making contracts. I feel the reaper is tied closer to death and life for that arena. The former would likely appear as it's own entity related to a story.

For example a demon. Or something like we saw at the end of World of Avatars.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #98 on: September 26, 2017, 06:23:59 pm »

Gunna stick general host tips here.

Spoiler: Host Guidelines (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 08:56:41 pm by roseheart »

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #99 on: September 26, 2017, 08:11:38 pm »

Old sheet archive
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 26, 2017, 08:24:15 pm »

Okay, now that I've taken some time to think, let me go over everything and see how it holds up.

Wounds: Like I said, fine.

Mythological Figures: Here's where I started thinking "Wait a sec." For one thing, Charon is not the only accepted name for the Grim Reaper. Because, y'know, Death? That's one of his names. Secondly, I also asked if we could choose our own guardians, like the Devil (I'll get to him). I'm pleased you said we could ignore the Gods already chosen since this game is actually about player creativity, given the revolving GMs. No problems there, just wanted to note that.

The Devil Example/Choosing our own set of Gods: Now, here's my problem. The Devil's Contracts and Death's Deals are not the same thing. Sure, Death can bring you back with a random effect, but the Devil can offer up more. He can force you to do a quest for him in exchange for reviving another player. He can revive you, but the next time you die, you're sent to Hell and have to fight a myriad of Demons before he'll let you up. He can force sadistic choices, make trades, and more!

What I'm getting at here is that saying the Devil has the function that Charon already has doesn't work when you consider his mythological powers. And that removes a big draw for this game: Creativity. What if the next GM doesn't want those guys? What if he replaces them with Norse Gods, or Elemental Beings? Are you going to say no? Of course not! He's running things. I'm not saying that I want to force you to change these, you gave good explanations. But saying that one being has the same draw as another not only diminishes the storyline potential, it also removes that creativity.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #101 on: September 26, 2017, 08:34:55 pm »

Sure, Death can bring you back with a random effect, but the Devil can offer up more. He can force you to do a quest for him in exchange for reviving another player

Thats a limited view of Death. And I imagine him doing all those same things. Death can also mean actually dying and death. Where Charon is strictly a name unless we count the moon, so it because it's a name it's precise and won't be confused if it's an important word that's used in the character sheets. You're just not going to win a battle of Satan being more relevant than the Grim Reaper for this specific purpose.
Satan is also a very prominent paragon to god, which is not the goal to set up when there is this minor pantheon you dont want to suck into the God/Satan paradigm.

If this was a game of like Doom or something I might understand some kind of Satan playing a prominent role. But I'm trying to just establish range and gradient of difficulty settings. But since this is not a game where God is prominently featured and it's not a game that's a hell hole I don't see how Satan fits. Sorry.

Edit:
There's also the fact that you gave a glowing review and I have already proceeded quite far down this train of thought and planned for it.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 08:38:34 pm by roseheart »

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 26, 2017, 08:47:55 pm »

Sure, Death can bring you back with a random effect, but the Devil can offer up more. He can force you to do a quest for him in exchange for reviving another player

Thats a limited view of Death. And I imagine him doing all those same things. Death can also mean actually dying and death. Where Charon is strictly a name unless we count the moon, so it because it's a name it's precise and won't be confused if it's an important word that's used in the character sheets. You're just not going to win a battle of Satan being more relevant than the Grim Reaper for this specific purpose.
Satan is also a very prominent paragon to god, which is not the goal to set up when there is this minor pantheon you dont want to suck into the God/Satan paradigm.

If this was a game of like Doom or something I might understand some kind of Satan playing a prominent role. But I'm trying to just establish range and gradient of difficulty settings. But since this is not a game where God is prominently featured and it's not a game that's a hell hole I don't see how Satan fits. Sorry.

Edit:
There's also the fact that you gave a glowing review and I have already proceeded quite far down this train of thought and planned for it.

Uh-huh, yeah, I gave a glowing review of the Wound Mechanic. Because I didn't thoroughly think over the first thing, and the Devil thing came after I responded. Don't you dare say I gave everything you said a review, especially now that I've started complaining.

Firstly: You obviously didn't read the thing about the Hell-Pit. Can Death send you to a hellfire and brimstone coliseum where you're beset by winged beasts and Baphomet? No, he can't.

Second: " But since this is not a game where God is prominently featured and it's not a game that's a hell hole I don't see how Satan fits. Sorry."

The fuck it isn't. Again, this saps creativity. What if the next GM wants to do some sort of storyline in which the Devil steals everyone's souls? Or a Rage Against the Heavens storyline where a rogue angel tries to kill off God and the heroes have to stop them.

But more importantly, you're already taking away our chance to leave our mark. By planning ahead and saying "You can't do this even when you do control what's in the game world", you are being a control freak! You're not establishing some order, you're just being bossy! Oh what, you're the current GM and what you say goes? Then don't impose mandates on the rest of us!

And from a Lore Standpoint, it makes even less sense! You're saying that within a world that is a continuum of multiple Universes, a concept like God and The Devil can't exist? That's bullshit! We don't know what's on these islands. There could be anything. And trying to limit that, again, ruins our creativity.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #103 on: September 26, 2017, 08:49:19 pm »

"Sure, Death can bring you back with a random effect, but the Devil can offer up more. He can force you to do a quest for him in exchange for reviving another player"

I actually missread this as 'agree to a quest in order to be revived'. I had not given much thought to reviving others.

But I still think Charon would be capable of it. They can both play scumbag genie. I admit that the devil has more baggage in this department. But I don't think he's the right one for the job, he's too much of bipolar of the one God. On a very minor aesthetic sense he matches too much with Armok in the ways he's being used. And finally it can just be achieved with the demon in the game as has already been done and world of avatars when Nightmare made a deal with Merseth.
As a host you're in control of life and death. As long as you honor with the players agreed to you can then extend the conclusion in ways that honor those agreements.

If you've got to being in your chapter that can revive others easier than the way they currently have to go about it, and so long as they are not chosen permadeath, then that is something that can be unique to that chapter.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #104 on: September 26, 2017, 08:53:43 pm »

And from a Lore Standpoint, it makes even less sense! You're saying that within a world that is a continuum of multiple Universes, a concept like God and The Devil can't exist? That's bullshit! We don't know what's on these islands. There could be anything. And trying to limit that, again, ruins our creativity.

Fine. You want Satan in your chapter go for it. But I have to choose four difficulty settings for the gameplay mechanics. So players can choose something that's dependable that they know how it's going to work cuz it's a very simple set of things but it communicates the playstyle players want. I don't think Satan is the right fit. I'm the one who stepped forward to get this going I'm the one that has to make the call I've made it.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18