Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18

Author Topic: AVATAR PROPHECY  (Read 17833 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: AVATAR LEGEND [OOC Discussion & Planning]
« Reply #150 on: September 30, 2017, 10:40:07 pm »

You know how to be a player in this game. You know how to host these kind of games. And if you put a lot of energy into it you can do both jobs. If I made it sound like that was not possible I do not feel that's the case. But that's not exactly a compliment either, I feel like with enough time anybody that can do either of those two roles can do both that's obvious.

How do you plan to tackle my first point? The blurring and blending of your PC posts and your updates? You can see this happening a lot in World of Avatars.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 10:43:40 pm by roseheart »
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
  • A sarcastic, weird nerd of many things. That's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 30, 2017, 10:58:02 pm »

Hmm...maybe dividing the setting the scene-type work and Blake's dialogue and action with [ hr ] so that they don't get in the way? Of course, then there's "Well, what if there's back and forth?" But, now that I've asked that, I've realized that if there's back and forth dialogue, it'd probably be easier to just put it in the same section.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 11:09:22 pm by Greatness942 »
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.
I desire, for whatever reason, to create Space Louisiana.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #152 on: September 30, 2017, 11:58:57 pm »

Well let's assume you keep up the

#-#

chapter-section preface, that will help a bit. It won't solve it entirely but let's move on...

Each role takes work, because you do literally need to kind of switch gears to keep doing both back and forth and it's one of my stronger points for why you shouldn't do this. However it's more down to personal choice and it's things that you need to contend with and meditate on your own it's not something I can help you with besides bringing it up. So let's move on...

(Will continue in another post.)
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #153 on: October 01, 2017, 11:14:02 am »

Everything else boils down to "why do it?"/"Is it worth it?".

What are the advantages and reasons someone WOULD do both?

1. It is convenient, initially
Because nothing is changing, there's no need to think about how things should or would. It just stays the same.

2. It is convenient, story-wise, when complete with hosting
You don't need to explain how your character regroups, becomes more active(if you kept up the roleplay), or otherwise retransitions to a classic player role. They never left.

What are the advantages and reasons someone WOULDN'T do both?

1. It's an opportunity
Playing an RPG, and playing an RPG and hosting an RPG at the same time is a different experience.

When you play your character you are trying to bring it to life as best you can. When you host an RPG you're trying to bring the story and setting to life as best you can.

If you try to do both you're either going to put a strain on yourself, invest more time and have slower updates, or simply do one or the other or both less successfully.

However you could do the easy thing and just have them disappear for one of several easy to understand reasons, allowing you to focus on the storytelling and having them return after...

Or, if you want a challenge, you can put all your resources to into the storytelling and setting by having the character become a part of it in some way.

2. Cohesion
Despite the character going away or becoming a part of the story being different than what they were doing while they were your player when you were not hosting,

You return to him having never done double duty with them, never having to cram that down them. Your experience returning to the player role feels like a proper return and it appears that way to everyone else.

Otherwise it seems like something happened but there's no story about it it's just is kind of an odd thing that happened that we pretend didn't happen.

Either you will notice that things have changed because now you're not doing two things, or others will notice and how the character acts either way or if both, if something noticeably did change then there's no worries. Nothing to hide, nothing to ignore.

It's challenging creatively, it's easier in practice.

Edit: I would still recommend doing this, even for someone who is going to host a short chapter. So much so to where I'd prescribed the first question they ask is "So what's going on with my character throughout this?"
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 11:27:48 am by roseheart »

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 01, 2017, 01:46:03 pm »

All very good points, man. Maybe it'll be easier or harder for me personally, I don't know. I guess that's what the upcoming story arc will show. And by the by, you actually gave me an idea to weave Blake in. I won't give any spoilers besides some kind of involvement from Nightmare, but you did give me an idea for it.
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #155 on: October 01, 2017, 01:53:38 pm »

Do what you're going to do.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #156 on: October 02, 2017, 11:30:15 pm »

Abilities ON

I imagine you've been waiting 3 chapters to say this. Feel good?

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 03, 2017, 01:11:20 am »

Yeah, pretty much. Which reminds me, I need to update Blake's character sheet.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #158 on: October 03, 2017, 05:03:29 pm »

I apologize, if this is premature but as a player I am asking you to do the little number system just to make your update stand out more. And down the line easier to distinguish at a glance?

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 03, 2017, 05:09:44 pm »

Right, right. Okay, I'll start doing that starting next update.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #160 on: October 03, 2017, 05:11:57 pm »

Sounds good!

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 07, 2017, 05:04:31 am »

Hello, everyone, I know i have been gone for a bit more than a week and I apologize both for that and for copy-pasting these messages,  I would say that this period has been miserable for me both physically and otherwise, I managed to pull a muscle in my  side and my wallet and art-portfolio were lost to me as well as my iPod. The later had to reset my password for this website. have also been trying to catch up on my homework overall, and this has left me with surprisingly little comforting free time. Meaning that I am still sorry for disappearing with little warning.

I shall be back tomorrow/later today, I hope I did not miss too much.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 07, 2017, 05:33:21 am »

Hey, man. It's all good. We are on a new chapter, and it's set before Leonard actually shows up. Maybe you could do a backup character so you can still join in somehow?

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #163 on: October 10, 2017, 03:42:05 am »

I'll jump back for now.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 10, 2017, 04:04:00 am »

Hey, man. It's all good. We are on a new chapter, and it's set before Leonard actually shows up. Maybe you could do a backup character so you can still join in somehow?
how did the timeline jump like that though....
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18