Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18

Author Topic: AVATAR PROPHECY  (Read 17843 times)

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
Re: AVATAR LEGEND [Character Sheets]
« Reply #120 on: September 29, 2017, 12:59:42 am »

Do you need a middle chapter for your character to leave?

Edit: just remember the timer:
3 days after the first player posts. Then anybody could swoop in and take over the storytelling.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 11:20:12 am by roseheart »
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
  • A sarcastic, weird nerd of many things. That's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 29, 2017, 03:54:41 pm »

"For my character to leave?" What?
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.
I desire, for whatever reason, to create Space Louisiana.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #122 on: September 29, 2017, 04:17:26 pm »

It's tacky for a GM's character to be present(unless they are a story element like an NPC) for these reasons:
1. It creates a god presence, not in any significant way but in one that you're supposed to 'ignore'.
2. When the GM is making the rolls for their own character, it raises the question why doesn't everybody just roll for themselves. Which is fine for an RP but this is an RPG where it is a structured game.

The best thing to do is have them drop out or have them be a part of the story however this is best if it's planned in advance and foreshadowed rather than and on and off switch whenever that GM takes over.
It is absolutely necessary, for the peace and safety of mankind, that some of earth's dark, dead corners and unplumbed depths be left alone; lest sleeping abnormalities wake to resurgent life, and blasphemously surviving nightmares squirm and splash out of their black lairs to newer and wider conquests.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 29, 2017, 05:14:22 pm »

That...that is dumb. First of all: A GMPC only works when you roll for them! Because that's fair. That's so that they don't become a Mary Sue that does everything! Also, what God Presence? I've never heard of such a thing. And why would people roll for themselves when there's a GM? That just makes it harder to do things for everyone.
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #124 on: September 29, 2017, 05:19:28 pm »

You have become so antagonistic I am drained by what you have to say. You may feel you have good points, but when you hold the other in such low regard, there is no reward in continuing to interact with you what so ever.

I have challenged your concepts, but I haven't insulted you as a person for having them. Grow up.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 29, 2017, 05:41:14 pm »

Right, because I've totally insulted you. I've insulted you 0 times, with 0 inclinations of doing so. Yes, truly, I am antagonistic.

Also, real funny that you say I'm holding you in low regard, considering that, in your time here, you've approved a character sheet, then turned around and said you can't work with it (Leonard), changed around the difficulties, rules, and character sheets with only one thing (abilities) actually being discussed, and would rather say that your plan is the best way to do things rather than consulting the community and actually listen to them. If anything, you're being antagonistic. How about you grow up? Oh wait, judging by what you said, you already are. Good. Then I never want to grow up, if I gain your overly-serious attitude about how things work.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #126 on: September 29, 2017, 05:43:44 pm »

The bulk of this thread is me testing option. Even if I am saying things in a matter-of-fact way, I am still paying attention to the response.

Edit: Here's the tip. You cannot call someone's idea dumb without insulting them. You are either saying by conceiving or holding onto the idea that they themselves are dumb.

Edit: finally I don't think I'm unreasonable. I feel like a lot of your ideas and concepts are intricately woven into this game. This project has been a blend of yours in mines creativity. When we butt heads usually we find a clever way to achieve both ideas. I believe it's time now to acknowledge that we are eventually usually able to come to a conclusion so there's no reason to get hostile and insulting when we do come to an impasse or what seems like an impasse. Given time usually an idea will come around so there's no reason to be hostile.

Edit: also I was edditing the game sheet, older elements will be returning. Soon.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 05:52:14 pm by roseheart »

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 29, 2017, 05:52:52 pm »

"Testing opinion?" You say you considered mine, yet you continued to say your way was the easiest way, that "I'm the one who stepped forward to get this going I'm the one that has to make the call I've made it."

Yes, you're the one who started. But just like World of Avatars and just like We Are Our Avatars, this is a community game. We all pitch in to create good stories, to try something new. Yes, you making mechanics is great, nice jumping off point. But for a game like this, we all have to make mechanics. Makes things easier for everyone. You have good ideas, but so do we. I'm just trying to put forth that effort. And you're not the bad guy for trying to put in order, just like I'm not the bad guy for putting my foot down when that order doesn't jive with my perception of how these things should go. But if you're the only one putting forth mechanics, and giving these difficulties, it's not going to be for everyone. Hell, it'll make it more lopsided. I mean, what's the point of being a GM here if you're already making everything for us? To tell a story? Yeah, but if we can't make our permanent mark in the mechanics as well, we feel constrained. Or at least, I do.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 29, 2017, 06:13:21 pm »

You know, just editing your older post does not mean I can just see them. Hell, I don't even know if you've seen the new post. What do you think?

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #129 on: September 29, 2017, 08:30:27 pm »

Well if I make an edit before a new post is made, yes. I'd assume so.

Absolutely. This is a collaboration. I do try to make something coherent. I try to not make something that is too complex that it becomes luggage for more whimsical hosts to drag through their things but also is not too discreet that it doesn't give enough to pick off of. However since a host can create their own rules with the beginning of each chapter I do have to really question how much really even needs to be a part of the structure. I've decided that having a description is pretty default. I had actually considered dropping the strengths and weaknesses but I reconsidered this when I was making my new character to play myself. I realize that's pretty defining basic thing to have. And we'll see what you do with it if that's what you're going to do.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 29, 2017, 10:33:14 pm »

"And we'll see what you do with it if that's what you're going to do."

Of course it is, so long as Blake stays in the group, for two reasons: One, when someone else gets the GM seat, it's easier for me to jump back in if she's already in. The second reason is because I know how to make a GMPC fair. If she misses a roll, she misses. Gets hit, she gets wounded. She dies? She dies. She won't get any special treatment from me, which will keep other players from treating her as either a Mary Sue or a Goddess.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #131 on: September 29, 2017, 11:04:48 pm »

I wasnt referring to that in your quote. Explain to me, if you are making the rolls for your character, why shouldn't I or other players make the roll for their own?

Do you really not see any difference between the GM having their own character versus the players being in the GMs world?

You as the GM become the god. You know every secret there is to know. You can pretend like you don't but you do.

Your motivation is altered you're not doing the same thing: everybody else is everybody else is trying to uncover the truth you are trying to pretend you don't have it.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #132 on: September 29, 2017, 11:07:52 pm »

It's a fair thing to point out that it does make it difficult to disappear and reappear if you're hosting and quitting often. That's why I would say a 'middle chapter' as I called it where you get revealed to be an important NPC and then you can use yourself in that way would be a good idea. I would be willing to host a brief chapter like that to set it up with you. And it would be a good time to exchange notes so we can transition from what I have had in my mind to what you want to do and if there's anything from that you want to use.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 29, 2017, 11:17:36 pm »

"Explain to me, if you are making the rolls for your character, why shouldn't I or other players make the roll for their own?"

Because that isn't their job? Seems pretty clear to me.

"Do you really not see any difference between the GM having their own character versus the players being in the GMs world?"

No, because my character is still a character, same as the rest of them. They're not anymore special. That's the point.

"You know every secret there is to know. You can pretend like you don't but you do."

But I don't? I don't know everything. Why are you assuming I do? Some player could blindside me by going off the beaten path, and I like that. Railroading is boring.

"everybody else is trying to uncover the truth you are trying to pretend you don't have it."

That is metagaming. It is a shameful thing for anyone to do. GMPC's are not the only ones who can do it.

If you're really going to try to force me on this, then I don't want to do it. You're admitting it's easier to keep her in, yet you continue giving me excuses as to why it cannot be done. So, either I get my completely fair GMPC, which is far more than any other GM has the self-awareness to do successfully, or I might as well just not bother. And by the way? Calling an idea dumb is not the same thing as calling a person dumb. Unless, Roseheart, you are saying you are a mere concept that is generated by random thought and can be eradicated with simple logic. But considering you are a human being, I doubt you are an idea.

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • 🛡️ Shiny Knight
    • View Profile
    • Forum Game Portfolio
« Reply #134 on: September 29, 2017, 11:59:47 pm »

Alright. I feel it's tacky and I'm not immediately excited to join a game where the host has an PC. That is kind of cringe-worthy to me. You're welcome to do it.. I do feel we're pretty low on players right now with Leonard taking a break.

Metagaming has different meanings and consequences in an RP or an RPG. In both of these it means you don't know what's happening in places that are not related to your character and things they would know. In an RP there is no host so nobody really knows the secrets in an area if any kind of design work is done. In an RPG you do. So if you are saying that you don't plan to do any designing then I would say well that's okay but you're not really taking advantage of the power of an RPG. The whole idea of having one person in control is so that they can do that. So they can be the Mastermind so they can set up the tricks and surprises in advance. If everything's just based on die rolls then you can have some exciting moments but you're not going to have very fulfilling cohesion and the culmination of little things bringing together into a bigger picture. It's kind of like Zelda games you can have rooms with combat or puzzles but the real special thing about a dungeon is having to navigate the whole thing and seeing it as one big piece.

As for a player character yes you can say oh I'm not going to metagame and make use of that knowledge. But you do know those things. And everyone else does not.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18