Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What to do with the Vampire when found.

Non-stop Lever puller (Thusly earning the name Kronk for when a wrong lever is inevitably pulled)
- 5 (62.5%)
Execution Method (Probably coincides with lever pulling so there's some other use for him besides waiting)
- 0 (0%)
Super Soldier
- 3 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20

Author Topic: Glory to Mother Mountainhome  (Read 38828 times)

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
Re: Glory to Mother Mountainhome
« Reply #270 on: December 22, 2017, 10:24:50 pm »

Wasn't it a greeting based interaction? Shouldn't they just be saying it on their own whenever they feel like it? Even without that, you should probably send out the defenders of communism to go kill some wild animals so they can get some real weapons training.

I'm pretty sure the 'greeting' thingy was flavor Bearskie said happened. I'm pretty sure those things are combat sayings.
DF Veterans- n. - One who has lost one or more forts due to a stupid oversight.

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow
Just never forget,/That Bloodyhells is always a threat.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 23, 2017, 01:09:31 am »

Mottled is right, it's a greeting-based interaction. Dwarves should greet each other occasionally with communist slogans; I believe they would be visible under reports.

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 23, 2017, 03:04:25 pm »

Mottled is right, it's a greeting-based interaction. Dwarves should greet each other occasionally with communist slogans; I believe they would be visible under reports.

Hmm. Haven't seen anything in reports or announcements. (Pretty sure there was a bug or something where chatting showed up in announcements.) Maybe you have to turn it on in the game files?

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #273 on: December 24, 2017, 11:49:46 am »

Interactions are rarely, possibly never, used outside of combat by sapient creatures (animals like cats still use them normally).  In earlier DF versions a few years back it was different and worked as you would expect.

GREETING interactions are more like "support" interactions now; dwarves should use them on their allies while in combat.  Also I think only Lethal and No Quarter combat counts.

This might be good for this fort though.  Verbal support isn't enough, you'll need to send every dwarf into battle alongside their comrades at some point to keep their fervor up and make sure they are protected against Capitalism.

EDIT: Actually, Capitalism won't be able to spread outside of combat either...

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 24, 2017, 01:20:43 pm »

Interactions are rarely, possibly never, used outside of combat by sapient creatures (animals like cats still use them normally).  In earlier DF versions a few years back it was different and worked as you would expect.

GREETING interactions are more like "support" interactions now; dwarves should use them on their allies while in combat.  Also I think only Lethal and No Quarter combat counts.

This might be good for this fort though.  Verbal support isn't enough, you'll need to send every dwarf into battle alongside their comrades at some point to keep their fervor up and make sure they are protected against Capitalism.

EDIT: Actually, Capitalism won't be able to spread outside of combat either...

All dorfs will be in military, so when siege comes, all production will stop as everyone goes to battlestations.

Capitalism can spread. Capitalist spies infiltrate and find lone dorf, like vampires do, and convert them to capitalism.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #275 on: December 24, 2017, 03:06:00 pm »

Based on the raws, spreading capitalism is also a GREETING interaction at touch range.  They will never actually use it unless they happen to be next to each other during combat.

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 24, 2017, 04:29:52 pm »

Based on the raws, spreading capitalism is also a GREETING interaction at touch range.  They will never actually use it unless they happen to be next to each other during combat.

"Also" means that it's another way. :P

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 24, 2017, 08:55:54 pm »

He meant that capitalism is a greeting based interaction in addition to communism being a greeting based reaction.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 24, 2017, 10:38:52 pm »

@Indigo: Damn, I was counting on non-combat interactions being at least slightly often enough that on longer timescales a revolution might occur. But I defer to your better judgement (and modding skills). It was quite a complex interaction; I was never really sure all the pieces would work together.

Guess we should just truck on, and take any sudden violent overthrowing of the proletariat as an added bonus. Capitalists should still be evil murdering vampire-esque secret agents though.

@Kommissar: One thing you could try is to delete all mentions of [CDI:USAGE_HINT:GREETING] in the raws - it might encourage them to use it more when possible.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 10:41:16 pm by Bearskie »

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 25, 2017, 07:29:19 am »

@Indigo: Damn, I was counting on non-combat interactions being at least slightly often enough that on longer timescales a revolution might occur. But I defer to your better judgement (and modding skills). It was quite a complex interaction; I was never really sure all the pieces would work together.

Guess we should just truck on, and take any sudden violent overthrowing of the proletariat as an added bonus. Capitalists should still be evil murdering vampire-esque secret agents though.

@Kommissar: One thing you could try is to delete all mentions of [CDI:USAGE_HINT:GREETING] in the raws - it might encourage them to use it more when possible.

For communists or capitalists or both?

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 25, 2017, 08:30:52 am »

Both. Removing the usage hints will tell the AI to use it whenever possible (which according to Indigo, likely still won't be enough :(). Alas, we do what we can to incite violence.

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 25, 2017, 03:50:41 pm »

Both. Removing the usage hints will tell the AI to use it whenever possible (which according to Indigo, likely still won't be enough :(). Alas, we do what we can to incite violence.

Alright. I'll adjust it. :3

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 30, 2017, 04:34:48 pm »

Sorry comerades. I was planning to have the semi-annual report made up by the end of today, but I don't think I'll be able to. My mom is making me deeeeeep clean my room. (I have carpet so I can't use magma) and I don't know how long it'll take.

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 01, 2018, 10:10:59 pm »

Alright komeradez. I will be able to get the Semi-Annual report up tomorrow! Just finished playing. Spoilers: Not a whole lot happened yet. And Not a whole lot will happen.

Does anyone know a way to remove the outer limit? The funky shaped square of stuff I can't channel is going to be annoying.

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 04, 2018, 05:41:10 pm »

Redstar The Star of Labors Semi-Annual Report 2

Glory to Mother Mountainhome, komerades. Enclozed iz semi-annual report of zituation. Az uzual, zent by Soviet Mezzenger Bear.

Kommissar Ivan: Granite 15 Y56

Until today not much happened bezidez hauling. Those filthy fazciztz decided they would be welcome here! We will let them in and give military live practice with them. Could uze zome brief booze changez, get the citizenz happy for the year. But onze main wall iz up, they will be killed before getting to depot.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kommissar Ivan: Granite 19 Y56

The order haz been given. No facizt will live.

I ztood in trade depot area to watch. Waz pleazed to zee the Elfchopper ztrike firzt.

Kommissar Ivan: Granite 20 Y56

Of courze that could be zince it waz zo early in morning? Oh well.

Both elvez killed by memberz of Red Hammer 1, becauze they have actual weapon.

Kommissar Ivan: Granite 23 Y56

Today I order planz for the Chamber of Trial to be dug out. Will alzo act az refuze dump into volcano when not in uze. But zecondary function iz appropriate az firzt.

Maximum Spin will be firzt to go on trial when it iz finizhed.

Kommissar Ivan: Slate 17 Y56

Firzt migrantz of year arrived today. Will be helpful to have more minerz and haulerz. We need more haulerz. Zo much to haul. Have placed immenze ztockpile outzide temporary wallz for ztone and ztone blocks. I waz at the front gate to investigate paperz and got to zee them climbing down mountain.

Kommissar Ivan: Felsite 8 Y56

I've been watching the 'Necromanzer'. Zo far he juzt be helping like any other dorf. I ztill don't truzt him. In other newz, we got Fey Mood from one of new immigrantz. I zmell another Enemy of State...

Kommissar Ivan: Felsite 9 Y56

He took one of few wood we have. He iz Enemy of Ztate. I will forbid the uze of wood and wait for him to finizh before sending him off with Maximum Spin.

Kommissar Ivan: Hematite 10 Y56

It has been over a month zince "Komerade" Ber haz ztarted work. Zurely a zingle piece of wood doez not take that long?

Kommissar Ivan: Hematite 16 Y56

The Capitazizt pigs arrived yezterday. We will do one trade with them. And that iz for their potato plantz. Next year, they will be zlain!

Kommissar Ivan: Hematite 23 Y56

Zo that iz why. He did not work on it becauze wood iz forbidden. I re-allowed wood, but he ztill did not rezume work. No lozz for uz. Next time I will forbid wood az zoon az I hear 'Ztrange Mood' being reported to keep them from uzing our valuable ztuff.

Kommissar Ivan: Malachite 1 Y56

Work iz going zmoothly. Chamber of Trial iz zlowly getting filled with chairz. I have my podium zet up and retracting bridge and lever are in plaze and connected. Now if only I could get zome lazy azzez to dump all the elven crap into the magma! I will perform trial by end of year even if iz not fully finizhed. That should make them move properly!
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Kommissar Ivan Sekrit Documentz: Malachite 28 Y56

Thiz...iz not what I expected. A vampire haz arrived in lazt migrant wave. Well. We now have lever puller and possible execution method, or zuper zoldier. I will zend a letter to Mountainhome and azk what I zhould do when they are caught.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Kommissar Ivan: Limestone 1 Y56

Greetingz and Glory to Mother Mountainhome! Here are zketchez of our gloriouz new city az iz current halfway through year.

Main level of fort zo far.

Three V-Urists up iz Chamber of Trial.

Three V-Urists below Main level iz Parade-Ground-to-be.

--------------------------------

OOC: Seriously. Why aren't my dwarves dumping? I've got the zone over the edge and the wiki says they'll toss it into the void. Annnd I've begun to get idlers and they still won't dump anything. And the vampire is not something I was expecting, but is fairly welcome for either lever pulling/execution method, or supersoldier. (Dare I give them the profession 'Winter Soldier' for lulzies?)

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20