Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress and PSP, Its been optimized right?  (Read 11361 times)

Lopin18

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress and PSP, Its been optimized right?
« on: February 29, 2008, 10:11:00 am »

Well after the last release i saw DF manages the loading times and all that at an incredible new speed, and i wondered, Well if the game now manages its resources a lot better, could it be possible for the psp to handle it?

Im thinking about the memory issue but i cant stop dreaming about playing it on the psp   :) Maybe memory stick memory allocation or something?    :)

[ February 29, 2008: Message edited by: Lopin18 ]

m a lil spanish dwarf from the Dominican Republic, DF has a new abroad fan!!!

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress and PSP, Its been optimized right?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 10:24:00 am »

No. You're thinking of the load times on a computer. Even if one of those things has enough memory to load df, it would still take at least a few hours to load and its speed would be measured in fph, not fps.

Lopin18

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 10:43:00 am »

:) Well lets hope someday something portable handles DF, cause maaan im addicted to it, and a laptop is too big, i mean something like a ds or something, but lets see how things come hopefully it will be possible
m a lil spanish dwarf from the Dominican Republic, DF has a new abroad fan!!!

Fenrir

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 10:52:00 am »

:roll:

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 11:02:00 am »

This just reminds of that article someone posted a link to... can't remember where it was but the people in it were saying that DF will be picked up by a publisher and put on the DS   :roll:

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 11:07:00 am »

Yahoo free game review.  Those fools had absolutely no idea what game they were talking about.  They didn't even know it was only one guy developing it.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 11:57:00 am »

yeah I hear that DF is being ported to the Wii.

Now you can manage dumping with body movements!

igless

Kyselina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 12:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hyperturtle:
<STRONG>yeah I hear that DF is being ported to the Wii.

Now you can manage wrestling with body movements!</STRONG>

Fixed.
Tun Athelbuket, farmer cancels sleep: Caged.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 12:59:00 pm »

The only way you're ever going to see Dwarf Fortress on a portable system is to install it on a laptop.

Seriously, handheld systems do NOT have the same kind of processing power or memory as a modern desktop PC. They have optimized it for battery life and lack of heat production. The reason the original Game Boy had no color is because with that era's technology, the battery life would've been horribly short if they had the kind of processor able to cope with that kind of display (remember the Game Gear?).

If you somehow managed to stuff the processing power found in your gaming PC into a volume the size of a PSP, a DS, or even the now-gigantic brick-style old Game Boys, you'd end up with burnt hands and a battery that lasts five minutes. Wait another twenty years, then you'll be able to play Dwarf Fortress on your retinal implants.

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 01:47:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Alfador:
<STRONG>Wait another twenty years, then you'll be able to play Dwarf Fortress on your retinal implants.</STRONG>

You mean you don't already dream of dwarves at night?

Fenrir

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2008, 02:06:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Alfador:
<STRONG>Seriously, handheld systems do NOT have the same kind of processing power or memory as a modern desktop PC.</STRONG>
Wow! Really?  :p

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2008, 02:17:00 pm »

what?  you fixed my post?  Ok, you designate fractal digging patterns with your arm movements then!
igless

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 03:49:00 pm »

I'm not as sharply agaist the possibility of DF running on one of the modern-day portables.

If you take into account the pocket worlds and the 2x2 sites...  Yeah, it's not DF in its full, but it's DF nonetheless! I dare say a 2x2 site in a pocket world would very much work on a PSP. Maybe not on DS (alas. Innate mouse support.), but at least PSP and some of the beefier communicators (like that VGA-screen monster I've seen...  10-something by 15-something centimeters, almost 4cm thick. Yeah, portable. How do they expect one to use the phone?) would be able to run it...

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Lazer Bomb

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage 60☼
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 04:33:00 pm »

You know those little junky games that are black and white and only have one game that they sell at CVS's and stuff?

Who here would buy something like that for DF? Perhaps a slightly dumbed down version: No flows, pocket worlds only, max 2x2 size, some other limits...but imagine how awesome that would be?

Kagus: "Still, demonic spelunking is always a promising idea."

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2008, 04:42:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Lazer Bomb:
<STRONG>You know those little junky games that are black and white and only have one game that they sell at CVS's and stuff?

Perhaps a slightly dumbed down version</STRONG>

You know, I don't think DF should be a 'junky black and white, dumbed down game'. Ever.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4