Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17

Author Topic: Pantheon IV IC-Thread Turn 9: Death of the Divine (always more players welcome)  (Read 14638 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pantheon IV IC-Thread Turn 5: Havenless
« Reply #120 on: September 15, 2017, 10:51:49 am »

Ha! Punishment you say? I think you should consider being god of humor, Dark One! I do not need punishment for my actions, for I have done nothing wrong. The lives of each Acterian are inconsequential, and they belong to me. If I had not intervened every single Acterian would have died before they had taken their first breath. But I saved them, for I believed they deserved a chance. If a few decide to attack my champion now, it is their own fault. Armiles is not interested in them, and only fights those who fight her. Her job is to rescue the innocent Acterian you imprisoned. Any Acterian lives that are lost in this quarrel are not lost over whether or not their lives are to be improved, but instead are lost because you have taken one under my command. They do not die because I am here to uplift them, though in some respects I wish to do so, they die because you have imprisoned my mortal and Armiles is searching for him. Their deaths are meaningless and avoidable. I care not individual Acterians choose to die in your name, as that is what they are doing whether they understand it or not. I have saved them in their entirety, and in doing so, claimed their death as my own. Their creation is owed to Acter, their happiness to Varalin, but the divide between life and death belongs to me. It is mine, and I spared the Acterians an untimely crossing. I continue to spare them this crossing, as I tried to be gentle with them. This does not mean none where slain, Kol killed people, but this is not wrong. The death of mortals is not wrong or evil, but infinitely meaningful. Those who died at Kols hands died for a brighter future for the Acterians. They died good deaths.
 Those who died because they attacked Armiles die for nothing. They die for you and your games, their death is meaningless. This is what you have stolen from the Acterians, meaning.

I will not and should not feel remorse over these deaths. I own their deaths, I bought it long ago. If I killed them, perhaps I would mourn their sacrifice. But I do not kill the Acterians. You do. You have taken what is mine, and I will see it returned. The acterians have no claim in this quarrel, it is between you and me, and only you hold the keys to Kol's imprisonment. Those who attempt to slay my champion die for nothing, but die because of you.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 11:10:14 am by Roboson »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 15, 2017, 11:05:40 am »

It was Varalin that made the islands for them to live on safely...
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 15, 2017, 11:09:18 am »

Islands without air, without water, and without food, are not safe. I was literal when I meant I saved them before they had taken their first breath.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 15, 2017, 11:18:24 am »

*sigh*
Listen, we can consult the tower that Ralk made. It's been a while; I forget who specifically did what. That being said, I am confident that Valarin had made the Islands livable to my people at the least.
And please, consider what the Acterians have suffered due to your actions and those of your creations. Even assuming that it was your actions that allowed them survival, and not Valarin's, what has that survival brought them? Their existence has been pain and suffering for generations. They went mad without Ralk's interference! They have forever associated the light and the Light with pain; thinking that your interference would bring joy to them, in each and every occasion, was a mistake. Sometimes, you need to do things subtly, Lu.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 15, 2017, 11:48:49 am »

Consult the Tower or even the Book of Truth, they will tell you what I say is true.

Point of order, it is untrue to claim that I caused them insanity. Their insanity was caused by the Tower of Truth and the Temple of Lies. These two incomprehensible structures led to their insanity, not the actions of Lu. Further evidence for this is the death of Phopu who wander too close to these divine structures. Lu has no part in the cause of their insanity. As for my creations, they were not created to hound or hurt the Acterians. In fact, their light should have been a blessing. The only reason their gaze hurts the Acterians is because they are so accustomed to the ignorance of the dark, that the coincidental appearance of light blinds their delicate eyes. The Eagles do not seek to harm the Acterians, in fact they have never even seen an Acterian. Any blindness caused by them is not out them acting to do so, but is the result of their situation. In all seriousness, the Eagles likely have no idea the Acterians even exist. They have never gone in the caves, and it is not their fault that the Acterian eyes could not accept light. If they had not been forced into the caves, the Sun Eagles would have no secondary effect on them. Furthermore, I do not claim to bring them joy, I bring them a better life. They live like rats in a hole, starving, diseased, and miserable. I sent Kol as a messiah to lead them to the surface where food and happiness abound. It is not my actions that prevented that bright future. I do not claim that their ascension would be easy or without bloodshed, however it is safe to say that their lives out of the caves would be blessed compared to the deprived and twisted melancholia they have found themselves in since their descent. 

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 15, 2017, 01:02:11 pm »

Meanwhile, unrelated to the Acterians or their fate, wisdom blossoms on the surface of the Islands of Passion.

As moonlight filters through the boughs of the Great Trees, a silver serpent emerges from the ground. Effortlessly it snakes its way up the twisted trunks of the Trees. Ignoring the fruits of Strength and Mortality, it sets its sights on the higher branches of the Tree of Wisdom. Here the fruits grow fat and heavy, yet held tightly by the spindly branches, which refuse to release their bounty. Even the most graceful of the Reedy dare not climb so high. The serpent, though, is unperturbed. It slithers along a swaying branch, and chooses three fruits, which it sinks its fangs into. Immediately the branches recoil, as if in disgust, and the three fall to the ground, the serpent following moments later. Before they can be splattered into mulch, a brief burst of power sees them stop inches above the ground, then gently drop the short remaining distance, barely bruising their skin.
Perhaps not bruised, but neither are they unblemished. Where the serpent's fangs pierced the soft flesh, the fruit changes. The knowledge within is twisted- the harmless information grows into three revelations, causing the skin of the fruit to swell unpleasantly.

These fruits are different from their brethren, now. Where the gifts of the others passes quickly, leaving only lingering scraps of knowledge, their juices stain the mind permanently, the slightest taste leaving the information forever ingrained upon the consumer. They take on aspects of the knowledge they contain- the first starts to leak water, incomprehensible scrawlings appear on the skin of the second, and the skin of the third grows thick and segmented.
Those who consume the first shall see a vision: a lake and a desert. A snake arises, and carves channels from the lake to the desert, through which the water flows. The desert is quickly transformed into a verdant paradise.
Likewise those who consume the second shall be inspired: a snake, crawling through the mud, leaving symbols in its wake. Each time it finishes a symbol, it hisses a sound, and whenever the consumer recalls one of them, they shall also recall the sound.
The third, too, grants an epiphany: snakes, sticks and stones in their mouths, carefully arranging them before the Great Trees. Higher and higher ascends their structure, until one of the snakes easily slithers its way up the constructed ramp, casually plucking a fruit from one of the middle branches.

As dawn wakes the first of the sunless, they witness the serpent, pushing the three fruits before it. Carefully, it nudges them before the Holy Ones, then inclines its head towards the revered elders, and slithers back below the earth.

Act: 'improve' three of the fruits of knowledge, and deliver them to the Holy Ones. The first grants knowledge of irrigation, the second of writing, and the third of construction. Conspicuous serpent imagery throughout.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 03:13:38 pm by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 15, 2017, 01:10:17 pm »

Take care lord of snakes. The Blessed are not of the same weak minds as the first Acterians. Their wisdom is their own, it sprouted in them reguardless of the knowledge we give them. They can see our actions for what they are.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 15, 2017, 01:33:23 pm »

Zlyusilusl returned with the goddess of wisdom's response and Ralkieis sighed. It seemed she still did not understand but she was right in that it perhaps was time to end the argument anyway. He would compose one last message he decided. New information appearing in the book of truth however, dragged his attention away from his thoughts of debate and discussion and onto more pressing matters. He gave Zlyusilusl a new message, this time to Veralin "I'm curious, oh one who refers to herself as Mother of darkness, where should I put my next monolith? I didn't think I'd need another one so soon. But it appears we have another god being deceptive. I recognise that that wasn't your intent but the result is the same and the Acterians are denied the truth. I see mortals believing in false notions as regrettable but inevitable, however I see gods deceiving mortals whether by accident or intent as an abuse of our powers. I hope that you rectify this as I'm sure you'd rather rectify it yourself than have me do it for you, I tend not be gentle when it comes to such matters.

P.S. Send Zlyusilusl back swiftly, I have an argument with Phalanalin to continue,
"

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 15, 2017, 03:43:52 pm »

Lu found the Phopu to be rather interesting creatures. Without the needs that the Acterians had, mainly food and shelter, the Phobu had little drives that would lead them to large and complicated civilizations. They were simple and happy, yet they managed to have rather interesting life cycles and migrations. The intrigue of mortals seems boundless to Lu, which was unusual given his rather unique ambivalence to individual mortal lives. Perhaps Lu was less interested in the lives of mortals, but in the systems and curiosities they create. Lu was unsure, but it mattered not, he found enjoyment in the ways they developed and how they evolved beyond what he had expected. Perhaps this was the true allure of mortals...

Seeing little reason to end the progression, Lu decided to expand the Phopu. The interesting plant people were limited to the Islands of Passion, mostly due to the in-hospitality of the lower lands. However, as time went on other gods saw to it that the lower lands would become livable. Seeing this as the case, Lu decided that the Phopu could expand to the world at large.

Lu created a new creature to assist in this endeavor, the Mantaleaf. The mantaleaf was a large, albeit surprisingly peaceful creature for being a creation of Lu. It was a vast plantlike manta ray whos vast wings resembled leaves. It was quite large, and capable of a gentle flight as though gravity had no effect on it. It was a wise creature, its mind more complex and powerful than any yet created. This gave it the ability to understand the gods, the world, itself, and its purpose. It also allowed for the creature to speak in the language of the Phopu. The mantaleaf had dim glowing eyes, exactly as the Phopu have.

The manaleaf was the first of its kind, and would certainly be the largest. Every so often it will blossom, creating dandelion like seeds which float across the world. Where they root, they will eventually grow into fledgling mantaleaves, which will come to populate the skies.

The First Mantaleaf, was created with a certain understanding of Lu and it's purpose. It was the first of its kind, and would raise and guide it's people into the future. However it was not solely responsible for propagating mantaleaves, but also it's cousin the Phopu. This knowledge was in some degree mental, in some ways spiritual, and equal parts baser instinct. This instinct would occasionally lead the Mantaleaf to conduct Phopu pilgrimages to new areas. This would be a very spiritual time for the mantaleaves, as it relates to their purpose in the world. They know and feel like they are here to spread themselves and the Phopu, and doing so is a uniquely satisfying experience that  even the mantaleaves have difficulty explaining. It stems not only from the knowing and feeling that they are doing divine work, but also from the idea that they are spreading life and are the great stewards of life in this world. It's a tough concept to try to build words upon, but the mantaleaves feel it nonetheless.

Act: Lu creates the Mantaleafs, giant flying plant rays. They have strong wise minds and an innate desire to spread not only themselves, but all plant life. This leads them to lead holy pilgrimages of Phopu to new lands. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 03:51:22 pm by Roboson »

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 15, 2017, 04:35:06 pm »

Varalin had seemed numb to the world. Just standing there staring down happiness coating their being before eventually after some conversation they spoke. Setting clear what they had to say composed calm and in a clearly good mood. Turning towards Acter, Lu, and Ralkeis's Messenger and their master.

"No. No no. Acter! Lu is right he did save them. I panicked when I saw your mistake and as it was my first real act I acted on impulse with not the thought I needed to do it properly like you did. I have improved past that luckily. Ralkies. You think that I imply that I am the god of darkness. That is not my intention. My intention when I said that line was to make sure the acterians understood who I was and would not believe the mother of darkness they worshipped was a separate entity. I will gladly clear this up if the goddess makes it so that the shadow paths do not allow the cult of darkness and the cult of truth to get to each other. Sound fair?"

In the after glow of emotion they felt at peace. Varalin felt quiet. Relaxed happy. Tears still streaming as they were sitting down.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 12:59:03 pm by AbstractTraitorHero »
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 16, 2017, 08:06:53 am »

((You're making a mess of people's locations, ATH. Ralkieis is not floating above the First, he is sitting by his Book. He sent a messenger to talk to you))

Phalanalin's gaze flickers down towards the First, and she cocks her head. She thinks for a moment, then turns back to Varalin.

"The Shadowpaths lead where they will, but I can agree to sunder those directly linking the territory of the two cults. I have no love of the mindless violence they exchange either. In return, however, I expect you to both retract your own claim to being the 'Mother of Darkness', and to make it clear to the Acterians to whom they truly owe their blessings- Phalanalin."

((Provided Varalin agrees:))
Modify the Shadowpaths so that they do not naturally lead from the territory of the Cult of Darkness to the Cult of Truth.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 16, 2017, 08:20:17 am »

Very well; Lu, I apologize. A good memory is not among my strengths.

However...so you continue to take credit for other's work, Phal. You have done nothing for the Acterians, and even imprisoned one of their leaders. Varalin, however, was the one to give them the Tears, to ease their pains. They live in darkness, not the Darkness, and you should take care to remember that before you go about claiming what is not your own.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 16, 2017, 12:24:05 pm »

"I do not, have not, and will not take credit for the work of another. I have no desire to be known as the source of your ward's intoxicating excretions- by all means let her claim the title of 'Mother of Tears'. But the Darkness is my creation, undeniably, and despite what you claim, the Acterians cling to it for protection. They do not worship the 'Mother of the absence of light', they worship the 'Mother of Darkness'. They know the difference between the two.
And if you doubt this, then why should you care who claims the title? If the Acterians truly do not care, then why deceive them?

As for the imprisonment of Kol, you know as well as I that the man was a violent megalomaniac. You may believe that he could be reformed, but I know the way of the Strong- they do not change their nature just because you ask nicely."

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 16, 2017, 12:46:45 pm »

I am quite aware of Kol's shortcomings, and I am equally confident in the potential for improvement. Of course simply requesting or demanding a change would be ineffective; that is why subtler means would be required, as you well know. Discussion, display of greater opportunities, showing him the advantages of sharing power, how it in truth gives more power to the receivers than he must give up, lending them all a strength greater than that if it was held all to himself. It would be a gradual process, of course, but certainly one well-suited to the task, and quite likely to be successful, should there be an opportunity to carry it out.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 16, 2017, 01:05:44 pm »

((You're making a mess of people's locations, ATH. Ralkieis is not floating above the First, he is sitting by his Book. He sent a messenger to talk to you))

Phalanalin's gaze flickers down towards the First, and she cocks her head. She thinks for a moment, then turns back to Varalin.

"The Shadowpaths lead where they will, but I can agree to sunder those directly linking the territory of the two cults. I have no love of the mindless violence they exchange either. In return, however, I expect you to both retract your own claim to being the 'Mother of Darkness', and to make it clear to the Acterians to whom they truly owe their blessings- Phalanalin."

((Provided Varalin agrees:))
Modify the Shadowpaths so that they do not naturally lead from the territory of the Cult of Darkness to the Cult of Truth.

Varalin listened for a few moments. To acter and Phalanalin. As their emotions slowly began to return to them. Right now she felt mainly....Excitement. She wasn't especially bothered by this deal and in her mind, it was a good deal.

"That is fine with me! I think....I shall...hmm. Perhaps write a book and send it to them."

Varalin closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

"Make it short and sweet so they understand me and I am not overloading them with information."
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17