Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why all this fabrics  (Read 1569 times)

Ereal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Why all this fabrics
« on: August 28, 2017, 02:37:13 am »

Hi all!
In the game there is wide production of textile clothing, but is it any useful if we can produce leather clothing instead, with much higher protection and I would even say - roleplay'ish brutality of full-leather outfit. I know that some pieces can be made only from fabric, but do dorfies require exact clothes titles or care only about quality?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Why all this fabrics
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 02:42:29 am »

They'd prefer cloth clothing as it's more expensive, and also sometimes for preferences. Also I find a sustainable source of cloth is easier than a sustainable source of leather, caravans aside.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 03:01:08 am »

The DF leather production leaves much to be desired, because one creature yields one piece of leather, provided the creature is large enough. 1 turkey: one leather. One ancient dragon: one leather. This means that local production of leather would result in a gigantic over production of meat. There are various techniques to increase the leather production, such as splatter butchering, but they require a lot of extra work.
As StagnantSoul said, dorfs go first for preferences and then for value. Protection value is not a selection criterion. The role playing value is dependent on the roles the overseer wants to play: Some people want to see their dorfs as refined creatures with good(?) tastes and stylishly decorated (color matched) rooms, while others want to see berserker murder machines that slaughter wave after wave of goblins and undead.

Ereal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 04:54:43 am »

Availability of leather is not in question - I can order thousants of it from caravan. Value is important, I agree, but dorfs won't realize the fabric suits are more expensive if they'll never see one, hehe.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 05:06:00 am »

There also the fact that you can't dye leather.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 06:30:22 am »

Well, if you're minmaxing protection, then one benefit for cloth over leather is that you can't wear leather shoes and steel high boots, but can wear cloth socks and then steel high boots (provided one doesn't try to pull sock on boot).

I usually don't bother with that, though.

Also, not sure about the "higher protection" part in general either. Iirc, generally silk is recommended instead for protective value. Though ultimately, neither material is going to save your civilians when cornered by a goblin squads going stabbity stab stab with their metal weapons. So indeed, can just maintain leather shoes/trousers/cloaks in fortress and nws. Like all other things in DF, it's largely overcomplicated for fluff, though you won't get caravans when sieged iirc.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 05:55:23 pm »

I mean if that's your thing go ahead and assign every civilian a military position. Then you can give them actual leather armor which will not wear. Or even metal.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 01:30:26 pm »

Availability of leather is not in question - I can order thousants of it from caravan. Value is important, I agree, but dorfs won't realize the fabric suits are more expensive if they'll never see one, hehe.
Yeah, do it! You can make high quality leather clothing and migrants will drop their no quality cloth/yarn/silk clothing and grab the leather. You can also use any cloth you buy to decorate, to use it somewhere.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Arkangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 04:46:56 am »

we can produce leather clothing instead, with much higher protection

I get why you would assume this, but I asked that question a while ago, and research showed that silk was actually lighter and more effective protection. So, if you need a reason to go for fabrics, there it is :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 04:49:56 am by Arkangel »

Ereal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 04:20:52 pm »

we can produce leather clothing instead, with much higher protection

I get why you would assume this, but I asked that question a while ago, and research showed that silk was actually lighter and more effective protection. So, if you need a reason to go for fabrics, there it is :)
OMG, it changes everything. Leather now is garbage, even my light-armored militaries should wear silk instead. Life is strange