Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 52

Author Topic: Pantheon IV OOC-Thread, Sign-Ups (always more players welcome)  (Read 34729 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pantheon IV OOC-Thread, Sign-Ups and General Interest Check
« Reply #135 on: September 01, 2017, 04:00:15 pm »

So, if Lu wanted to prevent the temple from making an effect on mortals, there's nothing he can do about it?

Or just go about it a different way?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 04:27:45 pm by Roboson »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 01, 2017, 04:23:12 pm »

I think there's some way for you to intervene in the coming gambit between me and Jerick. Either at the start, or once it is under way. I don't know how exactly. It may be as easy as declaring your intention to join the gambit.

Incidentally, I don't want this fight either. IC, I mean. OOC, I'm kind of curious to see what will happen. But IC, I didn't start this. I was just building a temple, when Ralkiesis decided to meddle. And then Lu decided to meddle some more. Or rather, charge in with a sledgehammer- but that's considered subtle meddling in Lu's book.
Long Live United Forenia!

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 01, 2017, 04:27:32 pm »

And then Lu decided to meddle some more. Or rather, charge in with a sledgehammer- but that's considered subtle meddling in Lu's book.

That is hilariously true.

Like Lu just doesn't want this temple to influence mortals, so he sends monsters in. I'm not sure how that is an illegal action.

EDIT: Once again, the rules are completely lost on me lol.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 04:33:38 pm by Roboson »

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 01, 2017, 04:49:38 pm »

First of all you could join in the Gambit, of course you can't simply join because you want to, since that doesn't make much sense but here in this gambit you have the very real stake of losing out on worshippers.
However you still can't send in the Hounds because you don't have the Cards its as simple as that.

But now you go: BUT WHYY? I have created the Damn Eagles why can't i use them?

Have you ever seen a war in which one side went: Ha i occupied the Crimea! and the other simply launched all its Nukes? No? Thats because its utterly mad and suicidal. As mentioned so many times before the concept of Escalation is in this game multiple times stronger than in other Games. Simply showing up as a God and nuking shit, will well, NUKE SHIT.
Showing up with all the Eagles with no other reason than YOLO i am Lu is a bit like USA nuking Russia for Crimea.
Imagine the entire Gambit system like the unspoken rules of engagement between the Gods. A system which ensures that all responses to any aggression or conflict are measured and proportionate.

To give you yet another better idea of why. Look at the Acterans. They basically appeared suddenly, then immediately began chocking to death on floating islands, then a huge hand came down from the heavens crushed the entire surrounding landscape and reformed it, then suddenly strange stones appeared out of the sky and a being which was so horrible and incomprehensible that they all are probably driven to gibbering madness appeared and told them to worship them for something they have no concept of whatsoever. Then an EVEN more horrible being shows up and a massive black spire with strange scrawls which burn themselves into their minds rises from the ground and he tells them the other is a liar, mind all speech so far is happening as mindspeak because the Acterans haven't even discovered language or anything really yet, so two horrible, maddening, seemingly omnipotent beings speak into their minds and start a fight. AND THEN Giant horrible beasts swoop down from the skies with eyes burning like the sun, sent by that horrible skyhand and occupy the weird stone thing which they were supposed to go into to thank one of the massive incomprehensible beings for being existent. Let that sink in, that is what you folks did on turn one to those people. They came into existance and basically will immediately go into gibbering maddened wrecks, mentally scarred to the point of unself-sufficiency, trying to hide away somewhere hoping that all of this will go away rather quickly.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 01, 2017, 04:53:49 pm »

To give you yet another better idea of why. Look at the Acterans. They basically appeared suddenly, then immediately began chocking to death on floating islands, then a huge hand came down from the heavens crushed the entire surrounding landscape and reformed it, then suddenly strange stones appeared out of the sky and a being which was so horrible and incomprehensible that they all are probably driven to gibbering madness appeared and told them to worship them for something they have no concept of whatsoever. Then an EVEN more horrible being shows up and a massive black spire with strange scrawls which burn themselves into their minds rises from the ground and he tells them the other is a liar, mind all speech so far is happening as mindspeak because the Acterans haven't even discovered language or anything really yet, so two horrible, maddening, seemingly omnipotent beings speak into their minds and start a fight. AND THEN Giant horrible beasts swoop down from the skies with eyes burning like the sun, sent by that horrible skyhand and occupy the weird stone thing which they were supposed to go into to thank one of the massive incomprehensible beings for being existent. Let that sink in, that is what you folks did on turn one to those people. They came into existance and basically will immediately go into gibbering maddened wrecks, mentally scarred to the point of unself-sufficiency, trying to hide away somewhere hoping that all of this will go away rather quickly.
Er... so, I guess... I guess that means I probably shouldn't have made those guys. :-\
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 01, 2017, 04:55:12 pm »

The thing is that Ralkieis has already accomplished what he set out to do. He doesn't much care if people believe the truth so long as they have access to it. (improving people is more Acter's thing) He doesn't force people to confront the truth but he finds the idea of someone incapable of learning the truth horrifying and will often intervene to give them a chance to learn. So as long as the obelisk stands where it is and people can come and go from it he does not care. So I have to wonder about houses that enter gambits with very different objectives. What happens when both houses in a gambit succeed at what they set out to do?

They came into existance and basically will immediately go into gibbering maddened wrecks, mentally scarred to the point of unself-sufficiency, trying to hide away somewhere hoping that all of this will go away rather quickly.
As the god of madness I approve.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 01, 2017, 04:59:18 pm »

You're interpretation of life as a mortal is spot on.

So the fact that there is a Knight in play doesn't have an effect on the situation? That it would still be an escalation because I've brought in hounds? Despite there being a stronger card in play.

I think what's really the confusing bit for me is the difference between mine and NUKE's action. Nuke creates and uses a knight for a goal (gaining mortal worship). So as a response (as someone who has worked to save and secure mortal worship and has a fair claim in this conflict) I would do exactly what NUKE did and create a champion to achieve my goal (stopping NUKE).

So I guess my confusion comes down to the relatively simple (and childish sounding) statement of "He did it, so why can't I?"

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 01, 2017, 05:00:49 pm »

Er... so, I guess... I guess that means I probably shouldn't have made those guys. :-\
Well, it might have helped if you had done things in the right order, like created your common or garden variety life first. But I think most of the blame falls on those who came after you. Well, I guess what Varalin did was pretty blameless.

Well, hindsight is not the gods' strong suit. YOLF. Let the chips fall as they may.

So the fact that there is a Knight in play doesn't have an effect on the situation? That it would still be an escalation because I've brought in hounds? Despite there being a stronger card in play.
Well, I sent in my Knight to act as a messenger. You sent in the Hounds with the express purpose of wrecking my shit.

I think what's really the confusing bit for me is the difference between mine and NUKE's action. Nuke creates and uses a knight for a goal (gaining mortal worship). So as a response (as someone who has worked to save and secure mortal worship and has a fair claim in this conflict) I would do exactly what NUKE did and create a champion to achieve my goal (stopping NUKE).

So I guess my confusion comes down to the relatively simple (and childish sounding) statement of "He did it, so why can't I?"
I don't think your action is illegal. It's just that neither my Knight nor your Hounds will be initially present in the gambit. I don't know what happens at the end of the gambit. Maybe whoever loses is honour-bound to pull back all their forces, whether they participated or not.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 05:06:39 pm by NUKE9.13 »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 01, 2017, 05:12:10 pm »

Well, I sent in my Knight to act as a messenger.
That... that's not what you use a Knight for.

EDIT: World's inhabitable now, mates. Actans are no longer suffocating/starving/frying/etc.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 05:26:56 pm by Glass »

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 01, 2017, 05:21:11 pm »

Congratulations!

In one turn you've taken an entire world that I created and turned it into a festering pit of mind-destroyed lunatics raving about the pillar and the temple, and now you're making what amounts to a nuclear-powered defense net (the Hounds) and then somebody has gone and deployed a flipping nuclear aircraft carrier to do peaceful diplomacy.

Someone, PLEASE, just make your own planet! It'd literally be easier than what you're doing to my planets! Granted, I don't especially care about the first one, but if it's going to be this much of an issue I'm going to take your toy.

And if you don't think that I can, remember, that it's still overflowing with the energy of my sphere/house (Creation), because I overkilled it with a Great Act.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 01, 2017, 05:29:52 pm »

They are now probably going to be slightly less insane, now.

Also, wasn't the pillar just about telling them which god did what, and nothing else?

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 01, 2017, 05:31:07 pm »

Also, wasn't the pillar just about telling them which god did what, and nothing else?
Yep that's all it had

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 01, 2017, 05:32:17 pm »

Yep that's all it had
So why does anyone think this is a problem that would drive the Actans mad?

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 01, 2017, 05:33:50 pm »

Congratulations!
Hey, come on, man. This isn't a singleplayer game with multiple concurrent players. We get to play with each other's toys.

If everyone makes their own planet... that's boring. I make dwarves on my planet and you make elves on yours, and the two never interact. If we do so on the same planet, then we get to see the fireworks. And I don't know about you, but I'd like to see some fireworks now and again.

Seriously, though. I can accept that you have something in mind for the second world, even if using an act to just go "Nuh-uh!" is breaking the cardinal rule of improv. But don't go claiming sole ownership and dominion over the first world and everything that happens on it. If you really really want to nuke it and start fresh, get everyone's consent first. Don't just take away 'your' toy because you're upset at how others are playing with it.

Yep that's all it had
Because it is not just a list of things. It is the capital-T Truth, which mortal minds are not built to comprehend. It's Jerick's whole deal.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 01, 2017, 05:36:29 pm »

Yep that's all it had
Because it is not just a list of things. It is the capital-T Truth, which mortal minds are not built to comprehend. It's Jerick's whole deal.
He watched as Phalanalin tried to steal credit for the efforts of the other gods as she created herself a temple. She wasn't directly lying It was implied and it was dishonest and untruthful. It bothered Ralkieis a great deal. He reached out with his mind and left a shard of truth next to her temple. A towering black obelisk carved with many swirling and changing patterns. Yet any who looked upon it would know what it said.  It was a catalog of all the changes the gods had made to the world and details about those gods.[/i]
Act: create an obelisk that records every act or mighty act the gods have preformed and which gods preformed them
Um... yeah, it's just a list of things. It's a list of things that happens to be made of swirly colors, yes, but it's just a list of things.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 52