Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: A few noob questions  (Read 4094 times)

Sabruka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A few noob questions
« on: August 23, 2017, 07:38:14 am »

After years of playing fortress mode, I decided to try my hand at adventurer mode, thinking to myself "how hard can it be?".

About an hour after trying to put down a God-damned +wooden chest+ I knew.

Anyways, I played a few hours, and I have a few questions I'd like answered:
  • I entered a town, and there was, like, a million cats. Is that normal?
  • Those must be the world's most incompetent cats, because every step I would take the screen would be inundated with messages along the lines of "cat bumped into cat". Is there a way to tone down those messages, or limit them to those related to me and my companions?
  • So I was hoping to trade some King Cobra parts for other food and/or money. In the trade screen, I saw numbers to the right of every item, next to a symbol that looked like a 7. Is that the value of the item? If I have 5 of that item, is it the value per item or for the stack?
  • Similar to above, unlike in fort mode I wouldn't see the current value of goods exchanged is that normal?
  • Nevermind, quick trip to the wiki answered the above two questions.
  • Any general tips on trading in general?
  • I ate king cobra meat. Will I die? Is there a way of cooking meat before ingesting it?
  • I was holding a mace in my left hand and a shield in my right. Unfortunately, this is an aberration. Is there a way to switch hands for holding stuff?
  • At the bottom of my screen, I see W: and A:. I assumed it meant which weapon and armor I had, but it's not accurate since I had two weapons and many pieces of armor. Is this correct?

Thanks!

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
Re: A few noob questions
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 07:43:51 am »

-Yes, a million cats are normal, they shouldn;t be, but they are
-Kill them all
-Just make a shit ton of bone crafts using (x) and viola, yoyu have a mountain of crap to give the trader for that really nice silver mace
-No you will not die. Yes you can cook meat, go outside, press (g) and select "start Campfire", then press "I" capital is necessary, then elect your meat and click "heat over fire"
-Yes, you ca switch weapon hands. just drop both of your weapons (press '?' for key commands) and pick them up in what order you want to hold them. May take a few tries, but that's how you do it.
-I honestly don't know what W and A mean...
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 08:09:56 am »

Are you sure they're not head-bumping? It's a way cats greet each other (and others). Pretty sure you'll never get a message about creature bumping into each other unless they're throwing each other about (happens...).

Sabruka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 08:14:52 am »

@TheImmortalRyukan Thanks for the answers!
@ Shonai_Dweller You may be right, they could be headbumping... in fact, IIRC that was what they were doing. Any reason it appears on-screen like combat stuff?

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 08:26:52 am »

Heating meat doesn't actually cook it, just raises temperature enough to thaw it out if you're in deathly enough cold weather for it to freeze. There aren't any means to cook in vanilla advmode, but it's also not necessary; you won't die or even catch syndromes from eating any raw meat.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 07:12:34 pm »

Yes, the W: and A: are Weapon and Armour respectively.  It only picks one, though.  It's just a sanity check so that you can realise that you aren't holding a weapon when people attack you.

BadCompany141

• Bay Watcher
  • [POWER] Legendary Blowgunner, Legendary Knapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 01:05:40 am »

1. the stray animals that "feed" off the infinitely spawning "vermin" creatures always have a ridiculous population number, so it is normal in this game for some time now

2. full-game features will be added in the next 60 years unless dfhack steps in and makes it the next 10 years alteast in a band-aid solution, just sprint

3. answered

4. answered

5. wiki is usually years behind, sometimes you have to find out things yourself, the discoveries is packed with disappointment when you realize you have been doing something wrong the whole time

6. trading in general is only useful for getting gear; collect gems that are described as "large cut longmaterialname gems" or "cut geologicallyaccuratematerialname gem", then use it to trade with a dwarf civ or an advanced goblin civ if friendly for their steel weapons (and gear if your the size)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

7. any meat is edible unless it is from a sapient being such as a troll, procedural night creatures or other humanoid races such as goblins. edit: forgot to add in that heating meat up doesnt do jack, im also going to add that alcohol doesnt freeze in cold weathers
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

8. it doesnt matter which hand the weapon is in

9: W: means your primary weapon, if your using two weapons your going to get your head exploded by something's stone fist/paw or silver arrow/bolt because of lack of shield even if you have a helmet with padding, you cant parry unarmed attacks unless you catch their attacking move with the wrestling interface. A: means the primary armour your wearing that has the biggest coverage, usually mail shirts or breastplates appear as primary

source: i power play through adventure mode, could say i have interesting stories but im horrible at that(actual stories that atleast isnt just me one-shotting a megabeast with a copper utensil). anyone else may correct me on a thing or two or maybe have a better answer in general
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 08:06:56 am by BadCompany141 »

Sabruka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 09:18:36 am »

Thanks everyone for the clarifications!

I have a follow-up question:
  • After a massacre involving a bunch of tame and peaceful goblins (???) I walked into a tavern for a drink. I ordered spirits from the tavern keeper, and I think he brought it over? How does the transaction actually work? When I open the trade menu it says I owe 2 to the tavern keeper, but when I try to just offer the money, nothing seems to happen after... How do I get my freaking drank?

Dragonunion

• Bay Watcher
  • ... challenging the monsters of the depths
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 09:29:12 am »

Ask him for "Ask about available services, drinks, rooms, etc. ". There you can offer your drink or rent a room.
The payment is not needed I think( and don't know how). I ofrfer only my drink, wait unti he Comes back, drink it and give back the mug or goblit.(with "Exchange, give, or take personal items")
The tavern keeper had never a Problem with that.

The old apple revels in its authority.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 10:11:54 am »

I haven't tried this version, but last version you could pay for the sake of roleplaying. However if you've done something to drop the prices between being charged and trying to pay it off, the tavern keeper won't accept payment. If you told about your valiant service to the locals while you were there, that would be enough to forgive your debt and get you drinks on the house.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 05:56:41 pm »

Paying seems to be bugged: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=10226

Edit: and yeah, the tavern keeper should have given you the drink.
The Human Tavern Keeper Dez Zaguthbibem gives you a limestone mug.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 06:08:00 pm by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 06:45:00 pm »

You can also trade items to pay off your bill. 

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 07:32:44 pm »

Including the tavern's mug you just emptied.

Heh, you can put stuff in it first, too:
You: Let's trade.
The human tavern keeper Dez Zaguthbibem: Of course.  Let's do business.
The human tavern keeper Dez Zaguthbibem: I acquired something.  How pleasurable!
You: Goodbye.
The human tavern keeper Dez Zaguthbibem: Goodbye.
The human tavern keeper Dez Zaguthbibem drinks the <F0>sharp<F0> dolomite.
The human tavern keeper Dez Zaguthbibem drops the limestone mug.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 07:39:25 pm by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2017, 10:59:02 pm »

Including the tavern's mug you just emptied.

Heh, you can put stuff in it first, too:
You: Let's trade.
The human tavern keeper Dez Zaguthbibem: Of course.  Let's do business.
The human tavern keeper Dez Zaguthbibem: I acquired something.  How pleasurable!
You: Goodbye.
The human tavern keeper Dez Zaguthbibem: Goodbye.
The human tavern keeper Dez Zaguthbibem drinks the <F0>sharp<F0> dolomite.
The human tavern keeper Dez Zaguthbibem drops the limestone mug.
The human tavern keeper Dez Zaquthbibem is having trouble breathing!
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2017, 12:56:45 am »

It's been awhile, but to pay a tavern keeper I believe you just enter the trade menu with them then select your debt; then trade them an items or item equivalent in value to that debt, I have had tavern keepers refuse service to me before but I don't recall exactly how I managed that.
But they did end up saying snarky things.
May be unrelated to whether or not I payed debts though, though for some reason I'm pretty sure that was the reason. But it's been awhile and I haven't done any science on it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 01:05:13 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com
Pages: [1] 2