Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The Collapse  (Read 2167 times)

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
The Collapse
« on: August 22, 2017, 01:29:26 pm »

The Collapse.

Spoiler: Beginners Lore (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  what is this‽ (click to show/hide)

You're a little old for this world, approaching middle age at a steady rate, for this blasted desert world. You made your living by walking through old ruins, taking the little bits that was left behind, and selling them to any interested buyers. Occasionally a corporation would take interest, but it wasn’t enough to keep you fed everyday.

You weren’t very important, not until you accidentally broke open a vial of priceless, almost legendary one-of-a-kind nanites thought lost in the Collapse, which promptly soaked into your fingers, cut into your capillaries, and traveled all the way into your brain, and practically forced you to know several lifetimes of information, which promptly caused you to black out in agony.

When you woke up, most of that almost intoxicating knowledge just left. Too complicated for you to remember, not yet.

The lab around you was mostly looted over and over again, you only found the ampule after breaking open a hidden and unassuming Metal crate. It didn’t have much besides a bunch of old papers that you can't read.

The room you are in was rather thoroughly looted, with the chemical equipment mostly stolen, only metal scraps are left. The walls are pretty much on their last legs with holes in them, as is the ceiling. Cabling sometimes hangs from the ceiling, mostly rotten, but you are willing to bet some digital optical fibers are hidden somewhere in the ceiling for data transfer.

The Airlocks which lead to the lobby are forced open, the control consoles for the airlocks are missing, but no one made any effort to take out the  football sized motors from the two airlocks.

The front desk in the lobby has no computer, and the doors to the outside is letting hot air in. there are other rooms besides the entrance and the room you awoke in, but they are either collapsed, or wholly looted. The Desk is made of plastic.

Vaguely, your head throbs. Information comes and goes, but you think you can recall some concrete information about either Your Past or your Newfound Knowledge using Historic or Techno Points. These points may be further divided down when they need to be, and they may become useless as well.

You're not sure what to do right now, maybe you can recall some information about yourself, your surroundings, or probably do something insane and wacky.

Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: The Collapse
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 02:07:19 pm »

Ah, yes, now you remember: you would often have to make weapons out of whatever was available in order to fend off other scavengers that wanted to take your stuff. You think you can make a good one out of the remains of the metal box, the motors, and other items found around the base. Oh, sure, it'll require physical contact to do anything, but it'll still be better than your fists.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 07:01:14 pm »

Turn 001: Down to basics.

Oh, Hmm. most of this stuff is rather hard to make up with, but you think you got an idea.

Hooking out the 4 Airlock Motors was a complex and dirty job, all but one of them being recovered. The last one was... more or less unusable, due to the fact that it had crumbled apart when the support structure around it failed. However, what really made the build work was the 2 long Metal Alloy Rods that acted as restraining bolts, normally keeping the airlock from opening and closing, you managed to snake them out without causing the airlocks to fall down and trap you in here.

Having only three motors made the build a little trickier.

banging around with the strongest cable you could get, metal fragments to hold and secure the machine and the titanium rods as both the overall structure and ammunition, a makeshift bolt driver was made.

It requires some batteries, which you don't really have, but it is really something.

You managed to create the Makeshift Bolt Driver. It requires batteries and metal shafts to fire. It's about as effective as a similarly sized rail rifle, but with a larger sized metal rod. It fires a rod about as fast as a regular crossbow.
You managed to cut your remaining alloy rod into four bolts for it to fire. The power input is variable, but since you didn't have any convenient capacitors, the motors will cause the cable cords to become taut as fast as the batteries can charge it, and then fire the bolt off after around two seconds (at best) of charge up time.

You also conveniently notice your rap shod utility vest containing all your fancy tools. huh.

The airlocks had been cannibalized for their motors, along with the cables on the ceiling. There are still a few metal scraps left, but you did not manage to get enough time to find the Digi. Optical Fiber cables.

[1 Bolt Driver, 4 Advanced Metal Alloy Bolts. Requires electricity to fire. gained. 1 Historic Knowledge Point used.

You figure your pretty much equipped to go outside now.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 07:07:04 pm »

Can we find any backup batteries and rods? Don't want to get stuck out there with a non-functional weapon. Once we've got everything, let's take a peek out.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 07:14:01 pm »

The lab is basically stripped of useful materials, and you didn't find any batteries in the first place. The Bolt Driver could make for a good enough club if you need to though.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 07:15:35 pm »

Ah. Got it. Yeah, time to look outside.

Take a leg off the desk, though, to use as a more expendable club.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 07:20:30 pm »

Let's spend some techno points to remember how to read first, and then read the papers in that briefcase the nanites came in.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 07:22:22 pm »

Would it be techno points, or knowledge points? I feel like it'd be the latter; we could use the former for some more exciting stuff later.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 07:27:15 pm »

The papers are unreadable because they are more dust then anything else, apologies for not clarifying.

Chapter being written up.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 07:31:19 pm »

Turn:002: HOT HOT HOT

Slamming the Desk with a good wack with the box you had causes a table leg to fall off, which you keep in your other hand.
more or less, the outside is very, very hot. You can't spend much time out here.

Your clothes do wick the sweat off, very nice though. Looking around, you notice the rubble of the ruins near by. Old Car Frames sit near by, long ago stripped of useful parts, down to the degenerated frames and Rusted sheet metal.

The Crumbling Asphalt that leads to this down goes in two directions, towards the epicenter of the dying metropolis that makes your home, or towards more potential scavenging opportunities.

Looking around, infinite potential swirls through your head, as your thoughts mesh with the machines flowing through your skull, particularly, the words "Nerve Eliminator", bounces through your skull among other fantastical designs, that seem so close.

You feel like you can both "re"member something new, as well as figure out where to go next.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2017, 07:35:07 pm »

PTW.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2017, 07:42:32 pm »

Ah, yes, there was a power plant over at the edge of the city. Looking over there now, you think you can see it...

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 05:38:57 am »

to the power plant we go!
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

PaPaj

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazed escaped dwarf from Alcatraz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 06:27:31 am »

PTW
"Hey how are you doing? well im doing just fine,i lie i am dying inside" - [place data of this short song being made here] some girl with a guitar

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 06:51:44 am »

Also posting to watch.
Pages: [1] 2 3