Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: Bifröst Café (IC) Chapter 1: An Eye for an Eye  (Read 8619 times)

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
  • clouds are pretty :)
    • View Profile
Re: Bifröst Café (IC) Chapter 1: An Eye for an Eye
« Reply #195 on: August 29, 2017, 06:40:46 am »

"I can tell our ideas don't mix well with you lot, but that's fine - that's fine." Suddenly, Haruki, along with his polearm, disappears again into that floating translucent silhouette. "I came here, risked being caught, just to give you all a fair chance to escape from the snare of lies the Uriah have wrapped the populace up in like discount sardines." The spirit slowly floats downward, into the earth again, and despite his current lack of detail it's clear that he's leering smugly as he sinks. "You all talk big. You all talk righteous. But remember - the world ends on Christmas. Do you think you can stop us? Oh, and you guys should get the word on this magic from the blondie's mouth himself. Left the oven on, you see."

Myrrh blinks, eyelids shooting open as he realizes Haruki is about to escape. He leaps over the counter, arms shooting forwards. "Ligavi Dogma!" Perhaps only Felix, demonic in nature as he is, could feel the intense sacramental power wrapped behind those words, like a stinging to the ears. Everyone can certainly feel it's different somehow from Thaumaturgy - those quite knowledgeable about the Uriah would realize it's the feeling of watching an exorcism. Uncomfortable. Yet, without a target, the energy fades quickly, leaving only a young blond man pointing at the ground, eyes scrunched up and biting his lip.

He stands up again, after a long pause. looking at each representative in turn. The staff, powerless as they are, only look back at him to seek guidance. He sighs grimly. "... Everyone.The previous topic for today will have to be postponed. We have... much to talk about."

Bifröst Café
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 06:43:37 am by Sl4cker »
Quote from: Empiricist
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 29, 2017, 07:02:15 am »

"Yes. We do. Looks like we'll have to work together more than we currently do. And that would mean no masks, no secrets."
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Bifröst Café (IC) Chapter 1: An Eye for an Eye
« Reply #197 on: August 30, 2017, 05:37:59 am »

"We could start with what this magic thing he was talking about meant," Melie said.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 30, 2017, 08:48:35 pm »

"Yes. Yes." Myrrh takes a seat again, not behind the counter, but in front of it, sitting straight up as always. "Now, firstly, what do you all know about exorcism? The practice has gone into disuse over the course of this century, so I would not be surprised if it's real-life mechanics and effects were, well, swept under the rug a little."
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 30, 2017, 09:54:46 pm »

Tintaglia actually looks a little chagrined at this question.

"Despite having a literal hoard of knowledge, and seeking out magical lore specifically, I have only found mentions of exorcism never the actual mechanics."
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 31, 2017, 12:50:02 am »

Leena speaks as if reciting from a textbook.

"Exorcism is a number of techniques used on certain types of spirits, undead and demons, and fairies if you want to make the distinction, to force them to vacate the premises or even to pass on to the afterlife. It is less effective on monsters that take a physical form, as well as those that were originally invited in. Almost all religions on Earth have one form of an exorcism ritual or another, but not all of them actually work. Additionally, not all exorcisms work on all monsters, some of them being very specific in scope.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 12:52:33 am by IcyTea31 »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 31, 2017, 02:30:26 am »

"I uh... I thought they just beat up the spirits."
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 31, 2017, 06:24:34 am »

Myrrh nods grimly. "Indeed. Many non-Uriah human clans and schools of holy thaumaturgy practice exorcism through the use of magic. Like Leena says, this type of system is difficult to use, and more often than not ineffective." He pauses. "Yet, the Uriah practice a different kind of binding and banishing magic, which is what I refer to when using the term exorcism."[/font

He sighs, brushing a few bangs out of the air, staring down as if attempting to summon up the words he wants to use. "It fell into disuse recently when it was determined that there is an unusually high chance of the spirit being... inhumanely punished compared to other, thaumaturgic-based methods." His eyes glint. "And I specify them as thaumaturgy-based because this method is NOT thaumaturgy."

"Truth be told, I am reluctant to share my clan's secrets with you all here."
He pauses again, though this time his eyes narrow, as if he was regaining focus. "But... This café... is proof positive of the growing trust between the two peoples. If you all promise to honor that truth by telling no one of the secret to the Uriah clan's maintenance of power, I shall honor it as well."
carrot cakeu

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 31, 2017, 07:26:25 am »

"I can respect wanting to keep something like that a secret, but how does exorcism link to what we're dealing with?"

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 31, 2017, 08:04:35 pm »

"You'll see. What the Uriah called exorcism also goes by the name of 'shamanism'. It's a power you might recognize somewhat - the power to communicate with the dead. We've officially molded those sorts of terms with necromantic thaumaturgy. Yet, necromantic thaumaturgy isn't powerful enough for our purposes. It can usually only commune with the recently deceased, and even the greatest of Greater Thaumaturgy cannot summon a great warrior at the actual height of their power." He pauses.

"With gruelling training, attainment of balance, facing of one's own flaws and the risk of dying during the process, any human, regardless of thaumaturgic capability can tap into the power of the Pontifex. Our mode of exorcism relies on his power, Ligavi Dogma," Myrrh's voice quivers slightly with a tone born of deeply-rooted worship, "the highest of holy arts. None can wield that sort of power by themselves. But with shamanism, that power comes from our bloodline. Seemingly, no monster should be able to use shamanism. Yet... Seemingly, mister Hibito seems to have implied that the Phosphor have uncovered the same power." He takes a moment to process that information.
carrot cakeu

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 01, 2017, 01:01:47 am »

"Comes from the bloodline, you say? That does sound a lot like a legend I'd heard, of warriors singing of their births to defeat their foes, but I thought it was an allegory..."

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 01, 2017, 02:50:56 am »

Domina sits down, her mouth still curled into a snarl.

"Fuck... What the hell, Myrrh? How are we expected to be open and honest around you if you keep information like this hidden, only bringing it up when Phosphor drags it out of your tight lips?"
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 01, 2017, 02:53:39 am »

"Well... it's understandable when you think their clan wouldn't have existed without it."

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 01, 2017, 03:14:49 am »

Domina just stares, incredibly confused. "That still doesn't give him an excuse to withhold information from us? We're all exposing secrets, simply by being here. We can't have these sorts of knowledge kept to ourselves and only ourselves. They won't help. Like, me, for example. I helped Phosphor destroy the Styx Bar & Grill. Unintentionally, I assassinated a target here, and I may have laid the device that destroyed the place. But if you already didn't know that, I'm honestly surprised. It wasn't exactly kept under wraps."
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 02:59:20 am by spümpkin »
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 01, 2017, 09:02:56 am »

Myrrh's teeth clench, staring directly at Domina. "This is information that could revolutionize the monster world, and possibly even the human one. Never in history have all of humanity been able to manipulate the supernatural. And with such incredible power as this, who knows what sort of effects that would cause?"[/font He crosses his arms. "We are trusting you all with continuing to keep the secret of shamanism under wraps. It has already been revealed by mister Hibito, an event that was unfortunately unexpected. But you must understand the consequences of revealing it to more of the population."
carrot cakeu
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15