Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you support Iridium's rebellion if he becomes an animal person of some sort?

Yes
- 13 (46.4%)
No
- 15 (53.6%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 203

Author Topic: (SG) SPAMOVERLORD: Epilogue: Guest Week  (Read 293965 times)

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) SPAMOVERLORD
« Reply #405 on: October 29, 2017, 09:06:39 pm »

The time has arrived for me to sort out the huge retcon-fest that is my initial attempt at a real-time event. I’ve determined that the forums use Central Time.

If I ever do this again, I’m probably going to have a ratio on the time, or make time not pass during night, or whatever.

I’ve also calculated the Brazil times, so I can tell you that the Siege began at around midnight and it’s beginning to get dark now.. All times are, in military tradition, given as Zulu times (e. g. UTC+0)

The Sequence of Events:
  • 0227: Siege beings
  • 0307: Request entered for soldiers as general backup. Arrives in 8 hours (at 1107)
  • 0316: Request entered for riot gas and gas masks, to be used en masse upon arrival. Arrives in 16 hours (at 1816)
  • 0320: Command given for soldiers to fire warning shots upon arrival.
  • 0403: Command given for dogs to shout warnings at 3-hour intervals. Dogs will attempt to frighten and demoralize the rebels as well as keeping them awake. Occurs at 0703 and 1003.
  • 0447: Request entered for anti-Andantesite radio equipment to be used as needed. Arrives in 24 hours (at 0447 next day)
  • 0703: Dogs shout messages challenging the views of the rebels. They appear to be somewhat demoralized and divided.
  • 1003: Same as before. No obvious result.
  • 1107: Reinforcement soldiers arrive and fire warning shots at the cave. At this point it’s late morning.
  • 1816: The gas arrives.
Now for detailed descriptions.

At around 0500, there is some sort of commotion between the rebels. Seems like the girl (Anna) is mad at her father (Sam) for some reason or another. The dogs can hear her move to a different bend of the cave, crying herself to sleep.

At 0703, the dogs let loose with a furious roar of pre-recorded complaints about the actions of the rebels. Sam Drimoxi actually forgets the whole point of a siege and almost runs outside, right into the defensive perimeter. Anna has to haul him back.

At 1107, soldiers arrive and fire warning shots into the cave. Some swearing is heard.

Time is now frozen at 1816 as I evaluate the results of a gas assault. Feel free to post any other bright ideas you might have.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

dustywayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking since 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: October 30, 2017, 01:11:09 am »

I vote wait for the andesite gear and dig in, ensuring that everyone has good cover.
Also, jerry-rigging restraints/handholds that can be used to stabilize each unit in the case of gravitational anomaly wouldn't be a bad idea.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 30, 2017, 11:56:53 am »

OK, I have to admit that the real time thing was kind of a bust, so I’m retconning most of it out.

We’re rewinding to the middle of the night, when an argument breaks out among the rebels. There are only dogs here now, reinforcements are still several hours away.

After some time, Anna Drimoxi runs to the edge of the cave, sobbing, and throws the Andantesite crystal out.

What do you do?
A: Try to catch her before she goes back in
B: Secure the crystal as soon as possible
C: It may be a trap - everyone hang onto something
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: October 30, 2017, 12:04:52 pm »

C. We can recover it later if it's not.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 30, 2017, 01:53:46 pm »

C we can recover later by a lone dog to take out of the control-zone
Competent reader (any know lenguage)
Novice english wordsmith
Dabbling english speaker (rusty)
He is short, with a small and failed beard
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: October 30, 2017, 02:05:02 pm »

C. We can recover it later if it's not.

Back to accepting first suggestion.

It's the middle of the night, by the way, around 2 or 3 am.

The crystal lands in the sand near the cave entrance. You can hear agitated and angry sounds from inside the cave, shouting and crying, then silence.

Everyone is taking cover, making footholds, and holding stumps or roots in order to protect against anomalies. Nothing happens, and some people wonder if it's time to go grab it.

Against my better judgement I'm going to try another real time event. One hour = 2 minutes, post when you want to come out and grab the crystal.

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 30, 2017, 04:17:59 pm »

Send one dog to  sneak, grab it, slowly go back to the siege line, and get the fuck away
Novice english wordsmith
He likes wood, spears, ducks for their nobility, and rabbits for their weak hearts and funny reproduction rate.
he has a hard time to focus, and values, err almost everything, he dreams of mastering a skill.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: October 30, 2017, 04:46:01 pm »

Alright, it probably takes explaining what I've done here.

I've chosen three reasonable (reasonable!) times describing the use of the Andantesite crystal, specifically, when they begin watching, when they let down their guard to begin planning other things, and when they do something of their own initiative.

If you attack between times 1 and 2, they will use the Andantesite in self-defence and the time until they let down their guard will be increased. If you allow time 3 to elapse bad things will happen.

So it's a waiting game - grab the crystal when they least expect it. Anytime someone decides to make a go for it it happens. You may take other actions during this time - negotiate with them, question their beliefs, etc. The dogs have a radio so you can talk to them.

286 seconds

A lone dog lopes up to the crystal and quietly picks it up in his mouth.

The crystal glows brightly. The dog gets sand stuffed furiously into its eyes and mouth before being flung ten feet into the air by inverted gravity.

The crystal is now lying in the mouth of the cave (it was previously just outside) on its side, in a crater of its own making. The dog is blinded by the sand.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 04:49:45 pm by blueturtle1134 »

omada

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's quack to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: October 30, 2017, 05:23:27 pm »

Make the  blind dog fall back and just keep watching till they let their guard down, If we hear someone going to the entrance call them on a radio in the back of the cave for "negotiate their rendition"

Then, maybe if we hear the guy\girl getting back to the end of the cave we can send one other dog to slowly approach, see if there is someone looking in our direction and/or holding the control. If they are not paying attention not in a position to activate it right now just grab and get away from here.

If unsure just keep the siege and ignore it, we shouldn't risk ourselves breaking the siege and letting them free.
Novice english wordsmith

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: October 30, 2017, 05:47:57 pm »

Make the  blind dog fall back and just keep watching till they let their guard down, If we hear someone going to the entrance call them on a radio in the back of the cave for "negotiate their rendition"

Then, maybe if we hear the guy\girl getting back to the end of the cave we can send one other dog to slowly approach, see if there is someone looking in our direction and/or holding the control. If they are not paying attention not in a position to activate it right now just grab and get away from here.

If unsure just keep the siege and ignore it, we shouldn't risk ourselves breaking the siege and letting them free.

So I initially wanted to have you blindly guess when they’ve let down their guard. But that’s not fun, so it has to go.

The cave entrance is kinda dark and the waves mask the sound, so someone could easily be peeking and not get noticed.

However, if someone is moving, then you might be able to see them. Though it would be indistinguishable from just a trick of the light...

I will right now roll a hidden “accuracy” dice.

Once they Let Down Their Guard, I will roll another die. If this die is greater than or equal to the accuracy die, I will note the fact that some sounds were made in a post.

At random times of my choosing, I will do the same thing, only I’ll post if the die is less than or equal.

I will now post the algorithm I used to generate my numbers as well. The “Lower Guard” time was chosen with a Gaussian Distribution of Mean 7 and Standard Deviation 3. The “Begin Attack” time was chosen with a Gaussian Distribution of Mean 10 and Standard Deviation 5.

Each time you go for the Andantesite and get driven off, the current Lower Guard time is increased by the original Lower Guard time, and the current Begin Attack time is increased by twice the original Lower Guard time divided by the number of tries you have made, including this one.

You win if you choose between the Lower Guard and Attack times. When the Attack Time comes it will be obvious.

The last try was at  4.77 minutes in game (2 hours 13 minutes out of game)

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: October 30, 2017, 10:15:13 pm »

Oh wait shoot I missed it.

TO CLARIFY:

I didn't roll dice on EITHER false detection OR correct detection of them letting down their guard. The time I've calculated as the time they attack using the crystal has PASSED.

At this point, I'm ready to declare the whole real-time thing a bust, unmaintainable from both ends, and go back to the traditional dice-and-votes. So that's what we'll do.

The crystal is sitting in the mouth of the cave. Just then the soldiers, moving at the speed of plot, arrive on the scene.

Suddenly a tower of sand spurts up as the crystal hurls everything around it into the air. Within seconds it begins to fall, turning the whole place into a yellow mess.

The last thing the soldiers see before the cloud totally blocks their vision is the rebels running out from the cave.

What do the men and dogs do?
A: Hold their position, surround the entrance!
B: Scatter and attempt to escape the dust cloud
C: Run into the cave; the crystal is there, it’s sheltered, and the rebels are leaving

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: October 31, 2017, 12:18:19 am »

D; Send half our force into the cave have everyone else hold their ground.

dustywayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking since 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: October 31, 2017, 08:19:02 am »

E. The captain of the detachment yells for everyone to hit the deck, and the soldiers near him begin firing blindly into the cloud while the ones on the ground form a perimeter of sorts. That's the idea anyway. Plenty of room for awesome stuff to happen and also for stuff to go horribly wrong.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: October 31, 2017, 09:24:41 am »

D; Send half our force into the cave have everyone else hold their ground.

Splitting up rarely works in this kind of thing... But the rebels are blind as well so it might.

E. The captain of the detachment yells for everyone to hit the deck, and the soldiers near him begin firing blindly into the cloud while the ones on the ground form a perimeter of sorts. That's the idea anyway. Plenty of room for awesome stuff to happen and also for stuff to go horribly wrong.

That just sounds like a friendly fire incident in the making.

But good thoughts. Vote, people

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: October 31, 2017, 09:52:28 am »

Eh, D.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 203