Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29

Author Topic: River of Lost Souls: IC Thread  (Read 50290 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: River of Lost Souls: IC Thread
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2017, 07:25:03 am »

"You ... you were dead."
Makiko looks at the girl's wound location, then down at her own bloody clothes, then back up at the girl.
"I was dead. Before. Now, I am here, like you?"

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2017, 09:49:40 am »

Nagisa looked at the girl and nodded. "I... worked with machines in my past life," she finally said. "If I am a machine myself, the irony will not be lost on me."

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2017, 11:30:23 pm »

Not my room, it looks like. Though this Rico fellow seems like an interesting fellow. M host's mother mentioned Rico staying out late. I wonder where?

Exit the room and go into the next bedroom, presumably my own.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2017, 02:01:55 am »

HighEndNoob (Gaius/Gai) (IVDf VIPw IIIPc IIIWt)

You enter a room filled with pink cushions and extravagant arrangements of flowers. The flowers seem to be placed inside vases shaped like the warmachines of the past room. The bed is also tremendous, far too large for a single person, but there is only one nightstand next to the bed. The closets are open, showing racks of women's attire.

The next room over is dank and filled with the old smell of flavored biscuits. You turn on the light to reveal a quarters filled with paintings on the wall, paintings of rabble with instruments. The desk is coated in a dusting of bread crumbs, but the papers on it show red marks at the top:

I/V
III/V
II/V

And the name written: Gai.

You sit down on the creaking chair and dust off a textbook. Social Upheavals in the Century XXI

Ozarck (Di/Hamada) (4Df 3Pw 7Pc 2Wt)

Nagisa inspects her wound, to find a small hole in her blouse and a dark bruise where the attack hit. But somehow no blood was drawn. It is as if an ant punched her with the strength of a man and knocked her to the floor.

Regardless of the outcome, your current situation is much less dire. The beast-cart has driven away, leaving the two of you to recuperate. The door was left open, and white lamplight hanging from the roof edge casts an inverse shadow at the threshold of the door.

Spoiler: Items (click to show/hide)

Sir Elventide (Giovanna/Nagisa) (3Df 3Pw 4Pc 6Wt)

The site is bruised and it tore your clothes... but somehow the bullet seemed to have only bruised. It was a very small bullet, nothing like the gunpowder weapons of your era. But very clearly the murderers intended to kill... this doesn't add up.

Clearly you are not mechanized in any way, shape or form, given the lack of buzzing gears and pulleys and the slow ticking of clocksprings. Unless... the thought crosses your mind that this era's technologies may have advanced to the point where machines could be made in human likeness. But that seems ridiculous on its face. What would they do, tear the flesh off of corpses and mount it to a frame?

Neoexdeath (Gunnulf/Shin) (3Df 3Pw 4Pc 6Wt)

(away from internet)

Wunderkatze (Ryzard/Mitsuru) (0Df 7Pw 4Pc 5Wt)

The book recounts a sordid tale:

"It was the winter of '42,' and the resulting weather hit the surrounding provinces especially hard, turning a difficult situation into a dire one. The partisans were better off than the surrounding populace, receiving supplies and winter clothing from the British navy.

As for the others, I distinctly recall a scene where my companion Ryzard was outside in the snow, teaching Polish children how to properly dress hunted game. He introduced them to the various organs one-by-one as he removed them. Then he hung up the body and showed them how to remove the intestines with a knife.
I had a feeling those techniques he taught them would turn out to be useful, but not in the intended fashion..."

Spoiler: Notes/Status (click to show/hide)

killerhellhound (Lanfrank/Ryo) (5Df 4Pw 3Pc 4Wt)

You hardly know the location on the card, so a map would be nice, yes.

On your short walk to the general store, you pass by a sign illuminated by a torch inside. It's a little involved... ((map is an example only)) but you can make sense of the names, and there's a little buoyantly-drawn starburst marked "You are here!" next to the words "Tachibana Ave."

After a long while of staring at the sign and searching through the labels on the sign, you deduce two things:
1) You are very good with this new reading ability of yours
2) This city is enormous

It may take a while to find an address on this sign. If you spend too long, the castle guard may stumble upon you and arrest you. If only you could somehow copy it down quickly... you feel like there must be a way.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 10:56:56 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

killerhellhound

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Master of !!MEDICINE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2017, 09:30:16 am »

With this citys size there must be other maps around. Look for a paper map near the big map if I cant find one go into the store they must have maps
My Sig
Fluttershy jumps onto TCM, giving him a hug. "~Yay~"*Player TCM has left the server. Reason: HHHHNNNNNGGGG-

We Madmen are very ingenious.  Sometimes it just takes just a little less sanity to pull off something completely awesome.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2017, 05:55:39 pm »

Why were they trying to kill you? What is this place? I have never seen things like that demon carriage, or the towers beyond the woods. It's so frightening!

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2017, 06:37:09 pm »

Nagisa turned to give the girl a quizzical look. "I don't know why they wanted to kill me," she said as she continued to rub the bruise left behind by the bullet. "As far as I know, they were probably hired by someone to murder me."

Sighing, she continued, "By the way, that wasn't a 'demon carriage'. I'm willing to bet that it's some kind of machine and I would've find out what if those men weren't hostile. Anyway, perhaps I should figure out in what time period we are in but first I must discover something first."

Pulling out her phone, Nagisa turned it on and:

Fumble around on the Internet to find out what kind of machines existed in this world and who built then. Since she know that she's on some island nation named 'Japan', it would be a great start. 

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2017, 11:01:53 pm »

Those red marks don't look very promising. Anyway, this book doesn't seem to be made of vellum, and seems to be about a topic XVI centuries after my time! I'm certainly in the future, which explains all the odd contraptions everywhere. I wonder how the world has changed from then, how my home has.

Start reading the book to get try and get acquainted with the modern world.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2017, 06:27:03 pm »

Mitsuru scans through all the bits on Ryzard, he recounts all of the events accredited to Ryzard except he seems to remember some extra events and these events were no less public or influential, at least in her mind. What about the brain augmentation surgery I went through? The VIPs I killed and... and that thing that is chasing me? Mitsuru shudders at the memory of the wordless beast of shadows that she has had many run ins with.

Did I die before I did any of those other things? If she is to take the date of death in this book as fact it would seem so. Did I get brought back?

Mitsuru decides to return home. Perhaps its time to put together the pieces of Mitsuru's life before chasing the past of some 100 year old ghost.

This world is newer than the one I last remember. This can only mean two things. Either I died in 1943, dreamed and was resurrected in this body in the future, as the book suggests, or I died later in this world and immediately awoke here.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2017, 03:25:49 am »

Back.

The book opens with a preface:

"Throughout history, minorities across the globe have risen up against systematized oppression and helped drive social progress." This world, 'social progress,' seems unfamiliar to you. You ask yourself whether the book means to imply that history is a linear climb toward some ideal.

You then skim a couple of chapters.

"After the fall of the Roman Empire, Europe entered a dark age wherein many technologies formerly used by the Romans such as aqueducts and plumbing fell out of use, as there was no central governing body powerful enough to maintain the infrastructure required."
"During the centuries XVI-XVIII, slaves were traded across the Atlantic and used to farm labor-intensive crops in appalling conditions. The children of slaves were also born into slavery, and most slaves never earned their freedom." You don't quite remember slavery being this bad.
"During World War II, Adolf Hitler enacted a program to systematically eliminate millions of people he deemed 'undesirable,'" including their own citizens, it seems.

What barbarism! If only Rome hadn't fallen. You must have more information... more than the mere two paragraphs this book has to offer regarding the fall of Rome.

Nagisa pulls out some sort of glass tablet from her pocket. It gives off an unhealthy white glow, and it appears to show her pictures and text.

You have one too. It's been loose in your pocket this whole time.

The fact that you can browse so much information using a piece of glass in your pocket says something about this world's technology. Somehow, your hands move as if they're used to the motion, like you've swiped the "Slide to Unlock" bar a thousand times before.

Accessing the web via a program called a "Browser," you put together a couple of facts in your head.
-Steam-powered vehicles came into use two-hundred years ago.
-Modern vehicles use a more energetic fuel based on oils.
-Just about anyone can own one and drive it around.

The current year is 2027. Oh how times have changed. Alchemy has evolved into chemistry. Machinists use machines to make machines for them. The power of lightning is used to calculate numbers. You're not even sure you belong to the same world... could this be a new world altogether with a wholly different set of rules?

(skipped)

You have an address on your ID card. Presumably home. Since you live on a numbered street, you locate the apartment after thirty minutes of walking, and check your pockets for keys. None apparently. It's as if Mitsuru didn't expect to come back.

Eyeing your surroundings, you make note of any possible points of ambush. Your home is on the second floor, but the walkway is grated so you can see through it. There are two outdoor stairwells, one on each end of the rectangular building, and there is a hallway that bisects the second floor of the building into two four-story towers with a skybridge linking the top and third floors together.
A slanted roof drains all the rainwater off to one side, into a raspberry garden stuffed uncomfortably between a wooden fence and the building's metal paneling. There's no going around the building without stepping through the mess of thorns, or climbing the stairs and moving to the other side of the building.

The window inside your home is lit, as are a couple of other doors, but the windows are all screened shut save for one on the lower floor. Inside there is a desk set opposite the door and a massive television built into the wall. This door is unlocked, but the interior doesn't seem to be occupied at all. It's not adorned like a home.

A map? Who needs a map? Not anyone who visits Daiso, apparently.
You find an old-fashioned, stylized map in the back of the store. You can tell it's abnormal from the stacks of magazines at the counter, whose artwork is so clean and crisp you can hardly believe your eyes.

The store provides a refuge for you to spend some time looking at the map. Finally, you pinpoint the location of your home to a sky-scraping fortress located next to an apartment complex. Your 'home' is on the 32nd floor, close to the top.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2017, 06:49:34 am »

Makiko pulls out her glass tablet and pokes at it, trying to get it to show her pictures, and seeing if her new body remembers how to operate the thingy.

What is this thing?

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2017, 11:18:25 am »

"Magnifico!" Nagisa exclaimed as she peered through the information presented to her through the small device. To think that such things were actually possible! Such things would've no doubt be considered magic in her era, perhaps even sorcery to those who are more superstitious. Mankind has indeed come a long way since the rebirth of Greek and Roman culture back in her time. Who knows, maybe they have even sent people to the Moon or something. If only she could have a piece of the technological pie, she may very well become the greatest female inventor of all time.

Turning to the girl, Nagisa watched as she played around with the device as if trying to figure out what it is. "It's a device that enables you to view information of the likes you have never seen," she explained with much gusto. "It is definitely a wonderful time to be alive... if such people as those two men didn't exist. Um, excuse me for a moment."

Speaking of which, Nagisa begin to wonder whether the previous owner of this body have had some bad history with those men or whoever sent them. Those she couldn't recall any memories concerning this mystery, perhaps there were other pieces of information somewhere in this house that could shed some light on this situation, whether they are found in some form of documents or even a diary.

Find out whether there are any form of information in the house concerning why the previous Nagisa committed suicide and why those men were after her.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2017, 08:33:48 pm »

Explore the house and determine how many people are likely to have lived here by the processions. Also check out the trash, was Mitsuru clearing out the house for some reason?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 09:55:31 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 14, 2017, 08:54:47 pm »

I can't say Rome wasn't on the road to destruction in my own time, what with emperors massacring their own guards. I wonder if this strange tablet that told me this house's location could also tell me more about the fall of Rome?

Open up the odd tablet and write in 'Fall of Rome.'

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2017, 04:41:13 am »

You type "Fall of Rome" into the searchbar and the first thing that comes up is a reminder for: "Fall of Rome Quiz: 1 Week"

Looking at the other links, you discover something called an "Encyclopedia." It's like a vast library of knowledge concentrated into one comprehensive source. All at your fingertips.

You find that, after the fall of Rome, there was another Roman empire called the Holy Roman empire, until some Gaul went and conquered it. Finally, Rome in modern history is gone, replaced by an incessantly perfidious state which had difficulties conquering one of the poorest countries on Earth.
This information remains new to you. Whether this body's instincts can be trusted or not, you're not approaching modern history with a familiar face.

You find yourself unlocking the device by accident, your body being so used to the motion.

There's a popup at the top of the display: "Text From: Dad
Unexpected meeting at work today. Are you okay walking home today? Love you."

There's also another, as you find out, your finger slowly dragging across the screen to reveal more.
"From: Shin
The idea's off the tables for now. Better get learning. You should buy Heavy Damage 3 at some point, it has a similar control scheme."

Then, you look for clues. This house doesn't seem to have a bed. You can't find any sign of anyone else--in fact it only has two rooms.
You get the feeling Nagisa may have been lonely. Or perhaps this wasn't her original house.

Next, you check your tablet. No sign of any notes left to others. The time is 1 AM--you get the feeling this is pretty late.

There's a pot on the stove about to explode. Better deal with that.
It seemed that the criminals wished to mask their actions, as if they are hiding from someone. But the timing is suspicious--there's no way they'd come exactly on the night Nagisa intended to kill herself. You realize that the only notable thing that happened outside of this house was the other girl showing up.

(skipped)

There are only a few parked vehicles. That's quite unusual, given the size of the building. They must have over means of transportation available to them, if everything's to be treated as normal.

You check the dumpsters after passing the raspberry bushes (either by going all the way around, or by marching through them. Your choice!). The contents are stored inside loosely-tied bags made of some thin, dull black foil. Inside, mostly cardboard food containers and foam cups. There's a few pieces of packaging for items sent in the mail and all that... but everything seems to be in order for the most part. Except...
...There's some beer bottles located at the bottom of one of the bags. Well-hidden from the top, but nestled in softer wares to mask the bag's own appearance and to keep them from clanging together.

Now that you've excavated the trash, you get to work putting everything back. After only a few bags, however, you hear a familiar set of footsteps in the distance behind, wet thuds ringing against hard concrete.

(skipped)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 29