Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 121

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 268907 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #1695 on: January 22, 2023, 11:19:21 pm »

Is there a faster way to generate worlds? A setting I overlooked somewhere or something? Or is it just generating smaller worlds.

I'm making some kobold banditry-related tweaks, and some hidden cave-dwelling animalfolk civs, and I want to see that they're doing their thing correctly.
Are you playing 47.05 or 50.05? Worldgen has sped up quite a bit already. Only way to further speed it up is to ensure there are no people or sites (or only a couple), but that likely doesn't help you test your civs.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: January 23, 2023, 05:06:17 am »

I'm starting to wrap my head around workshop graphics and I got into a deadend.

You can define graphics for a workshop tile like this:
Code: [Select]
[TILE_GRAPHICS:SUCCUBUS_WORKSHOPS:0:0:WORKSHOP_CUSTOM:SUCCUBUS_MAGMAWELL:3:0:0]
WORKSHOP_CUSTOM:WORKSHOP_ID indicate a custom workshop, but what about a custom furnace ? I tried FURNACE_CUSTOM, FURNACE and other variations to no results. In the absence of docs on the wiki I had to convert all furnaces into workshops.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: January 23, 2023, 12:30:48 pm »

I don't think you can make custom furnaces??? It's always just been workshops to my knowledge.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

GadgetPatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: January 23, 2023, 03:46:43 pm »

So, the wiki claims in several places that eggs count as meat for CARNIVORE or BONECARN creatures, but my carnivorous Kobolds won't eat them raw or in meals. I'm assuming either the wiki was repeating hearsay, or it was changed for v50. Can anyone confirm that it used to work?

Currently trying to get eggs to be recognized as meat, by adding MEAT, BUTCHER_SPECIAL, MEAT_CATEGORY, and MEAT_NAME to the egg materials, but having no luck. I'm guessing CARNIVOREs need their food to contain an ingredient with the item class MEAT or FISH now, rather than materal tokens? And I can't think of another good way to make eggs count as MEAT items without having egg layers literally lay meat chunks that (obviously) can never hatch. I put a lot of time into making an interesting animal-based product industry for them, so it'd break my heart to make them omnivores that can just farm.

The wiki also says egg-based meals are also composed of EGGSHELL rather than EGG_WHITE or EGG_YOLK, so I made sure to add the tag to that too. Still no luck.

EDIT: Another modding hurdle; UTTERANCES critters apparently give nicknames using a random other language. I added an UTTERANCES-based language to kobolds in addition to the UTTERANCES tag, which lets them default to UTTERANCES names, but lets them assign kobold-sounding nicknames to deities, places, and notable figures. But now, if I try to randomize a name in the noun-based name picker, the game crashes 100% of the time. So probably gotta scrap that too.

Can't imagine mod-only bugs are high priority, but I wonder if it's worth reporting.

Between this, the carnivore egg problem, and the inability to apply venom the game recognizes in combat via either vanilla-style glazing reactions, crafting weapons out of syndrome-causing mats, or every hacky syndrome/vapor-emission based method I've come up with to put spatters on weapons, it's really killing my enthusiasm for working on an authentic-feeling playable kobold mod.

Are you playing 47.05 or 50.05? Worldgen has sped up quite a bit already. Only way to further speed it up is to ensure there are no people or sites (or only a couple), but that likely doesn't help you test your civs.

Ah okay, I misunderstood you is all! It's plenty fast as is, yeah.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 04:36:25 pm by GadgetPatch »

Count10

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: January 23, 2023, 08:13:24 pm »

I'm attempting to make a smallish mod adding in a few fantasy metals that behave in unusual ways, and I've run into a few issues that aren't huge but they really bug me. One of the metals is orichalcum, and it is supposed to be an alloy that you can extract into thread similar to adamantine. However, being an alloy it is created in ingot form and it seems that only the ingots can be used to make cloth objects, with the actual thread and cloth being useless. I've tried both [THREAD_METAL:ORICHALCUM:100] and [STOCKPILE_THREAD_METAL], individually and at the same time. Also, another metal is an alloy comprised, in part, of adamantine. Will adding [DEEP_SPECIAL] to a pure metal cause issues, and is there any other way to keep civilizations from using it without that tag?

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: January 24, 2023, 04:22:31 am »

I don't think you can make custom furnaces??? It's always just been workshops to my knowledge.

The process is the same but starting with BUILDING_FURNACE instead. The only difference is that the building ends up in the furnace submenu.

We have more menus now so I guess it's an old system.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 04:48:56 am by Boltgun »

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: January 24, 2023, 08:34:34 am »

The process is the same but starting with BUILDING_FURNACE instead. The only difference is that the building ends up in the furnace submenu.

Plus it needs an architect before it can be built.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: January 24, 2023, 02:06:40 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah, you may not be able to get kobolds to eat eggs directly. You could try a reaction to process eggs into chunks of meat from a creature, though.

For their language, try generating one with DFLang, you can still find it on DFFD. Its still the best tool ive found for generating languages quickly. Then use the output's ID in the entity translation, and make sure youve included the language file in your mod folder. Make sure your kobolds have both UTTERANCES and CAN_SPEAK. I'm not sure what could actually be causing the crash, but probably either a typo or duplicate word or something.

Oh! And you need to update the dflang word list with the current DF word list; it's from a much older version and doesn't have a bunch of new words.

@boltgun; thanks, I didn't know that.

Personally, I've been doing a lot of sprites. Sprites sprites sprites. They're ugly, I'm bad at it, it's taking forever and ever, but I don't just want to copy the sprites used in vanilla and edit them a little bit, I want to make my own. Other than a few critters that would be literally identical to a vanilla creature and therefore just use the vanilla sprites for that creature, or are using them temporarily as a stand-in until I get their sprites made.

I'm also adding back in the boiling rocks treatment for learning spells, this time it will be alongside the edible essences, so it will give a chance to inhale the gas and learn something directly, teaching your wizard to perform the spell related to that gas (if they inhale it) immediately, and also dwarves can eat essences produced later. This is still all just a stand-in for being able to write spell books dwarves can read from a reaction, since that's not currently possible. Except for a reaction to burn essences into gas. It's all work arounds for work arounds for features that won't actually be implemented for years to come. As it always has been.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 02:21:02 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: January 24, 2023, 08:55:16 pm »

In the year 24 a Skink demon burst from the underworld to take vengeance on those who dig too greedily and too deep! Demons and hobbits poured forth destroying all in their path.
Yes, it's usually goblins, and sometimes dark elves, but on occasion, all the underworld has to offer up are plump cheese merchants. And for the first time in a great many worlds, the hobbit invasion has actually been successful. Taking over all the surrounding dwarf fortresses, burning down their libraries and building new structures to rule from with names like "The Fortress of Gerbils", "The nuts of dressing" and "The Spicy Cinnamon".

Mostly they've been lead by a series of ambitious necromancers after the initial skink demon died which probably helped.

So, ah, yeah, that works.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: January 24, 2023, 08:58:52 pm »

hmm, how did you set that up? they have the [DEMON] flag?
I make Spellcrafts!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: January 24, 2023, 09:00:22 pm »

hmm, how did you set that up? they have the [DEMON] flag?
[EVIL]. Dark elves, gobbos and hobbits have it, game picks one at random whenever an underworld breach event occurs in worldgen.

Also allowed them a mountain supported biome to encourage them to invade a bit further (not sure if it was necessary).

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: January 24, 2023, 10:20:47 pm »

ive not actually seen evil critters pop out of the underground myself, i didnt know that happened.
I make Spellcrafts!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: January 25, 2023, 01:58:10 am »

ive not actually seen evil critters pop out of the underground myself, i didnt know that happened.
In Worldgen. It was added in 47.01.
Civs with the trigger [MINING_UNDERWORLD_DISASTERS] can breach the underworld in fortress (and maybe dark fortress?) sites. A bunch of demons plus an army made up of an [EVIL] race appear and form a new civilization. Just look for a civ that was formed after the year 1, that's one that emerged from the underworld.

My hobbits are bit too nice. They formed an alliance with the dwarves that released them just a few years later. :)

GadgetPatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: January 25, 2023, 03:03:19 pm »

demon hobbits

Fucking amazing. I love this.

Yeah, you may not be able to get kobolds to eat eggs directly. You could try a reaction to process eggs into chunks of meat from a creature, though.

I've had some luck getting raw eggs to be recognizable as meat, by adding [EDIBLE_RAW] to the egg materials, without the [MEAT] tokens. Bizarrely, doing the same thing to cheese doesn't make it edible to carnivores though. And as soon as either ingredient is cooked, it's no longer considered edible.

VERY weird that [EDIBLE_RAW] only works with raw eggs, and no other item. And double odd that the meat item type is carnivore-edible, even without [EDIBLE_RAW]. It's got to be something about primitive item classifications with a specific carnivore handling for egg object types, that isn't inherited when cooked, which is entirely different from however meat items are checked in the source. Lots of very strange behavior for carnivores, still!

For their language, try generating one with DFLang, you can still find it on DFFD. Its still the best tool ive found for generating languages quickly. Then use the output's ID in the entity translation, and make sure youve included the language file in your mod folder. Make sure your kobolds have both UTTERANCES and CAN_SPEAK. I'm not sure what could actually be causing the crash, but probably either a typo or duplicate word or something.

Oh! And you need to update the dflang word list with the current DF word list; it's from a much older version and doesn't have a bunch of new words.

I actually had already generated a language using a different technique, and it works fine normally; the crash seems to come whenever an ENTITY has a TRANSLATION, but it's constituent CREATURE has the UTTERANCES tag, and only when you click the top-right randomize button in the name-picker UI. Even happens with vanilla languages; I ended up reporting, in case it's a canary in the coalmine for other crashes.

And yeah, I just generated my own truncated kobold syllables using GenGo. The wiki has some nice notes on using it! I just multiline copy-pasted them into a language file with some regex and sublimetext. The process gives finer control over structure and word length, so I'd recommend it! It also let me prune out words that sounded bad or ran long. The translation gives compound words like bulbin-kraler, rather than compounds like shrabodoshrayrber-slakibodraymbus.

The downside is, removing UTTERANCES takes out a really cute thing the game does, where songs that Kobolds write have nonsense lyrics. But UTTERANCES also seem to make Kobolds regenerate their names whenever they return after a raid. So I'll probably just use a TRANSLATION and remove UTTERANCES for now.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 03:49:22 pm by GadgetPatch »

Elbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: January 27, 2023, 12:10:15 am »

Are you pulling your hair out and going bald because some of your military dwarves mysteriously keep going bald themselves? Are you freaking out because the dwarf you told to equip that full suit of bismuth bronze armor isn't wearing it, and now it's missing? Are you a modder who used the vanilla graphics_creatures_layered.txt as the basis for your modded race, only to discover your seemingly perfectly functional mod was causing problems with bismuth bronze? Well, it's not your fault. This is a vanilla problem - the vanilla layered graphics RAWs do not specify any sprites for items made of bismuth bronze, and the fix is super easy. Like, "one find and replace" easy.

Open graphics_creatures_layered.txt (or the equivalent file in your mod if you're dabbling with modding) in NotePad++. Open the Find and Replace window (Ctrl+H) and turn regular expressions on:
FIND:
 \[CONDITION_MATERIAL_TYPE:METAL:BLACK_BRONZE\]
REPLACE:
[CONDITION_MATERIAL_TYPE:METAL:BLACK_BRONZE]\n            [CONDITION_MATERIAL_TYPE:METAL:BISMUTH_BRONZE]

(You can probably do this without regular expressions turned on as well if that's intimidating for you or whatever, just remove the "\"s in the FIND string and "\n" in the replace. Using regex just keeps the raw file tidy.)

Et voila, your mysteriously unarmored baldies should now look like the badasses you always intended them to be. This was also probably a problem with wielded bismuth bronze weapons/picks/axes (almost certainly - no bismuth bronze sprites whatsoever are specified in the layered creatures raws, but I haven't seen the issue with my own two eyes so I'm couching this in uncertainty).

BEFORE:

AFTER:

NOTE:I don't know if updating the vanilla RAWs manually will import them to an existing save. Tested with my BF's vanilla save and a modded vanilla RAW, and unless he screwed something up in a major way it doesn't work for unmodded games without generating a new world. I know for a fact that it's compatible with existing saves when it comes to editing the appropriate file in the "installed mods" folder (see the pics above, that's my 'deep dwarf' race, and it's the same deep dwarf in both pics).  If updating the vanilla RAWs truly doesn't work for existing saves, as long as you have even *one* mod running you can maybe work around this by adding a text file which will cut the accursed vanilla file and also adding your edited copy of the vanilla file to any mod's graphics folder (or even by adding a graphics folder to an installed mod with no graphical component and doing the same - I haven't experimented with any of this though so take with a huge grain of salt).

Was advised by Shonai_Dweller to crosspost this to the modding forum so people could search the board for bismuth bronze and easily get an answer. Didn't want to make a second thread saying the exact same thing as the thread I already posted as a more broad heads up kind of thing, so they suggested bumping a general RAWs thread instead. While this is maybe not a perfectly on topic post, it is something I discovered in the course of my modding, and so here we are.  lol  :o
Pages: 1 ... 112 113 [114] 115 116 ... 121