Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 121

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 268900 times)

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #1665 on: December 23, 2022, 04:59:39 am »

Gelfling will probably be the easiest of all the races, since it'd just have to be a slight modification to elves plus women who can fly.

I'd avoid making flying civilized creatures. The pathing is weird, and flying visitors often end up stuck in the air forever (that is, until you decide to murder them).

Oh, and me? I'm almost done with amphibian sprites. Expect to see a lot of modified alligators.
I plan the first update to have sprites for everything other than actual dinosaurs, meaning I have to do mammals and synapsids. Dinosaurs are not only numerous, but also somewhat complicated, because there are no living creatures resembling a Spinosaurus or a Brachiosaurus.

brushapocalypse

• Bay Watcher
  • creatures creaching
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: December 23, 2022, 11:44:50 am »

Now that ASCII mode is in, I'm finally starting work on a big mod I've had in mind for quite a while. Graphics are fun and all, and I'm sure I'll have a blast putting together sprites once it's a little further along in development, but I'd really rather worry about if the creatures are structurally sound before I get lost in the weeds of pixel art.

The lack of arena mode is a real stumbling block, though. I'm so used to just opening it up and seeing if the errorlog spits anything out. Now I need to actually generate worlds!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: December 23, 2022, 11:49:46 am »

I plan the first update to have sprites for everything other than actual dinosaurs, meaning I have to do mammals and synapsids. Dinosaurs are not only numerous, but also somewhat complicated, because there are no living creatures resembling a Spinosaurus or a Brachiosaurus.

That just means it's harder to do it wrong!

I've been slowly making sprites to update Spellcrafts. I've got it in a fully playable state, even though none of it looks good by comparison to vanilla objects. Not yet attempted to figure put why the two civs keep throwing up errors yet, not enough time to mod or play games in general lately.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Sanix_Prime

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: December 23, 2022, 09:58:20 pm »

I've got two small mods in a near-finished state.

One is just a workshop that lets you queue jobs that turn your dwarves legendary; each job offers a million experience in a specific skill. Only thing it needs is a new graphic; right now it looks like a screw press. Reactions don't give skill experience unless they have a product, so I made it require a special puzzlebox for input and produce an identical one for output - the dwarves 'use' the puzzlebox to learn skills. Kind of janky but that's what works.

The other is a creature mod that adds an inorganic crab that yields the ore of a steel-equivalent metal when butchered. The metal has a material value of 1 so it won't spike the value output of your fortress. The creature data is kind of cobbled together from the pig, bronze colossus and crab raws, and right now it just uses the placeholder sprite, so there's plenty of room for polish in this one. I was planning on removing the eyes and flames from the magma crab sprite if I can figure out how to insert the graphics back into the game.

Obviously these are both cheat mods. Once I get some kind of graphics figured out I'll upload them to Steam.

Hotty gremlin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: December 24, 2022, 12:07:08 am »

Working on a little tweak pack for the workshop.

Turkeys lay less eggs, not only due to game balance reasons but also for the fact that they lay less eggs than other domesticated fowl in real life. Pet values for the yak and water buffalo have been increased in proportion to their meat yield.

Giant animals will be getting unique descriptions rather than the more formulaic ones in vanilla. For instance:

Giant Leech:
A repulsive monster in the form of a gigantic leech. It feeds by overpowering prey and boring into them to consume blood and viscera.

Giant Snail:
A great snail the size of an ox. It lives to eat and seems only dimly aware of its surroundings.

Giant Crab:
A great beastly crab with a terrible temperament. It will violently displace competing scavengers when feeding on beached whales.

Giant insects are my first focus and will be getting creature variations that allow for them to have a child(nymph) stage, longer lifespans and the ability to lay eggs. The amount of eggs laid is roughly equivalent to domestic poultry so it won't be a case of "Well technically mosquitos lay a thousand eggs so let's send it". This first wave of bug-specific changes are what I'm working on like, this moment, because gigantic bug monsters are about as cool as you can get conceptually but are currently pretty half baked.

Up next on the docket will be sussing out what giant creatures are missing what attacks and anatomy. Giant animals modeled after vermin sometimes lack some basic attacks. Giant arthropods will have the ability to batter and grapple enemies with their limbs. Any lizard large enough to engage in combat will get a tail attack, seeing as that's not at all unheard of in nature.

Animals that should reasonably excel in certain combat skills will do so innately to make up for any blind spots in combat modeling. Dogs being better biters than average, giant crabs being legendary wrestlers, cougars and big cats being innately stealthy, so on and so forth. Livestock being innately talented kickers makes sense and would be funny so I'll do that. The town drunk getting his teeth rearranged by an ornery mule is good training for your surgeon, if anything.

Every animal that could reasonably be trained for hunting or war purposes will gain that ability. Badgers may not be up to snuff for regimented warfare, but make perfect sense as a hunting companion. Likewise, giant badgers are a natural fit for either duty.

Animal people are the result of a lot of c_variation trickery and it's gonna take me a little while to untangle and fine tune some stuff, but I have some alternate flavor text drafted out to at least give their descriptions some personality. For example:

Polar bear man:
A tremendous white humanoid bear. It thrives where the bitter cold would kill from exposure.

Brown recluse man:
A small and gracile arachnid person with six spindly arms and the fanged face of a spider. Its drab appearance belies a destructive venom.

Anaconda man:
A large and stout snake person, cryptically colored as to blend in to the underbrush.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: December 24, 2022, 08:10:11 am »

Forced myself to finish amphibians:

Antarctovenator = Diplocaulus + Antarctopelta + Concavenator
Bagehesaurus = Bageherpeton + Edaphosaurus
Diplotator = Diplocaulus + Irritator
Diplovenator = Diplocaulus + Concavenator

The alligator sprite sure did come in handy.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: December 26, 2022, 10:38:32 pm »

I uploaded Spellcrafts, realized i made mistakes, fixed them, reuploaded, started a new thread, realized i linked to the wrong download on the thread and the wrong thread on the download, and finally got it right. That counts as an accomplishment for a day.

Now i need to figure out how to upload to Steam

[edit]

I did it!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 11:44:58 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

kiiranaux

• Bay Watcher
  • , who choked on [PRO_POS] own ambition!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: January 01, 2023, 04:53:44 pm »

@Eric Blank- we had a whole saga about that "placed farming civ" thing with highfantasy. I know that it's working correctly in the current versions of HF. Short summary, it was fixed by giving MORE tags, which seemed counterintuitive. If you want to fix those two civs of yours, go copy the block of 8 tags (indoor farming/orchards/wood/gardens/outdoor1234) from one of my civs that seems like they shouldn't be doing outdoor farming - uh, hobgoblins or naga - and that should fix your two civs. Downloading from either dffd or steam you'll get the same results.
The Highfantasy Mod/Pack. Civs, Creatures, Systems, Balance.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: January 01, 2023, 08:38:45 pm »

That's actually exactly what I did, as well as adding new crops. No more issues.
I make Spellcrafts!

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: January 02, 2023, 08:38:50 am »

Finally managed to finish the rework on my rather massive personal mod & modpack for 0.47.05. Still probably has plenty of bugs, but all crucial reactions should be fixed.

Guess it's time to gen a new world and see what actually playing it feels like!

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: January 05, 2023, 09:50:33 am »

Synapsids:

Ankylocodon = Ankylosaurus + Ophiacodon (I'm not really happy with this one)
Acrocanthops = Arctops + Acrocanthosaurus
Albertocevia = Albertosaurus + Edaphosaurus + Inostrancevia
Andrewtops = Andrewsarchus + Glyptodon + Arctops (Dwarves spray-paint trained Andrewtops' heads)
Dakotanops = Dakotaraptor + Gorgonops (I am really happy with this one)
Dimetrocarnus = Dimetrodon + Carnotaurus + Pyroraptor

The alligator sprite continues being useful

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: January 05, 2023, 07:42:55 pm »

Been testing and tweaking my modding attempts. So far no big issues, but quite a bunch of minor stuff.

Just got some animal person tribe merchants arrive as well as an elf envoy with the elf caravan. The elf was disturbingly enough carrying a dwarf skull totem in his hand. Wonder what he's trying to tell with that?

Oh, and a bunch of migrants arrived. One of them is a mummy clerk who worships a god of jealousy and writing. Sounds like a decent fellow to have around.

Also, it's raining goblin blood.

comicraider

• Bay Watcher
  • The only person who cares about Tales from Entar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: January 09, 2023, 07:19:06 pm »

Decided to return to DF Classic because I missed Adventure Mode, then remembered the pyromancy mod I was gonna attempt some time ago but never got around to. Basically necromancy, but swap out the immortality and zombies for heatproofing and fire.

No idea what I'm doing and too lazy to look at the wiki's guide, but this is what I got so far.

https://imgur.com/a/gyGPZ54 (can't remember how images work, haven't been on here in a while.)

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: January 10, 2023, 04:29:00 am »

I am currently mystified by the fact I've created a plant and a set of reactions related to it that have somehow resulted in the civ possessing said reactions the ability to embark with flour from the plant but not the seeds of the plant.

I think they just don't have access to the plant but reactions somehow give it the flour while ignoring that the reaction requires, you know, having the plant in the first place.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 04:32:05 am by Tiler »

Elbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: January 13, 2023, 01:15:05 pm »

Cutting my .50 modding teeth by messing with creating a custom entity with a custom creature (fantasy... caveman - is that even a thing? why am i doing that? I really couldn't tell you) using custom graphics larger than the default single 32x32 tile all the other playable races seemingly fit into, and I've just been staring at the vanilla layered tile raws for 2 days, dreading it. Not even 100% certain that's going to be possible. It should be: a human holding a halberd uses the LARGE_IMAGE tag, so why not a human holding its limbs and torso together... but you never know. I've got a feeling this is going to be a lot like adding workshops to ASCII/OEM DF, only like... twice as painful to get to the point where doing it is trivial? On the bright side it really seems like it'll be pretty intuitive once I actually... like... internalize how to do actually do any of it. 

I never have, toad wizard. I never have. :'(

(An aside, but what's the etiquette/legal mumbojumbo when it comes to posting what we're doing when what we're doing involves Premium sprites. I understand we can't freely distribute whole mods that reuse/recycle the premium sprites, and those mods should be kept to the Steam store, but what actually counts here? Like I was thinking of just using vanilla dwarf heads and I'm using vanilla statues for scale since layered sprites are all chopped up by default. I took it upon myself to draw over them for my purposes shitposting here - if I hadn't, they'd have been trivial to yoink. Was that necessary or am I being... overly conscientious/downright paranoid?)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 01:16:57 pm by Elbow »
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 121