Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 121

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 268794 times)

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #1545 on: March 25, 2022, 09:46:50 am »

Days since returning to modding after going on hiatus because DFhack bugs prevented mods from working: 1.
Number of new DFhack bugs encountered that prevent new mod from working: 1.

Q_Q
(yeah, I've reported it. The other one's been sitting there for over a year though, so I don't have my hopes up.)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1546 on: March 26, 2022, 05:15:10 am »

Some more results of modding. Almost done, only really have wild creatures left for this.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: March 27, 2022, 02:49:11 pm »

That looks like a really useful skill.

"Oh no, I'm surrounded by bandits! I know, I will kill myself! That will show 'em!"

That's exactly how I handle all of my problems  8)

---

Anyway, fish. My criteria for fish in the Elder Scrolls mod are the following:
-they have to be fictional;
-they can't be named after people or places

I've accumulated quite a collection:
Spoiler: Large fish (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Vermin fish (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Vermin crustaceans (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mollusks (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Echinoderms (click to show/hide)

---

Not wanting to mess around with reactions, I started making a little optional module for Rhenaya's Drow Unofficial - the most miserable race of Underdark: the Duergar.
The grey dwarves are physically similar to regular dwarves, just grey and they keep their heads and beards short or shaved clean. Mentally they are joyless, ruthless, and cruel, creating masterworks that are devoid of beauty as it is not a value they hold. If I decide to make them playable, their depressiveness will be how I keep them from being overpowered.

The Duergar have two abilities:
-Enlargement - makes a Duergar larger and stronger for a short period of time. Maybe there can be some sort of penalty when the effect ends, like fatigue or sickness.
-Invisibility - when a Duergar decides to run away, they increase their agility and other such stats.

There is a rare caste called Durzagon - a Duergar displaying devil ancestry. Their hair and beards are replaced by sharp spines that they can launch at their enemies.

The duergar use a variety of subterranean animals - giant bats, deep rothe, pack lizards, spitting crawlers, osquips (six-legged rat things), steeders (giant riding spiders). They also use quaggoths as slaves.

Oh, and spiders have book lungs now.

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: March 30, 2022, 11:40:48 pm »

Trying to come up with some cool new enemies to throw in. Having difficulty with some of the custom interactions.

So far I got:
1.) a glass octopus

2.) Some kind of mostly stationary plant monster that spawns in underground cavern layers.
I want it to have a custom dust emission interaction which changes living things plant-zombies. The monster also causes wandering clouds of mind-control spores to waft across the map above ground, which encourages players to deal with it. Was toying with the idea of what would happen if you were to somehow tame this particular semi-megabeast. An army of 100% loyal plant zombies that worship the plant monster as a god would be cool.

3.) Cockatrice with an interaction that turns things into statues. Not really sure how to specify that an entity needs "eyeballs" in order to be converted into a stone statue. I really like the idea of having a trained war cockatrice that is chained in the middle of a garden filled with stone goblin statues, which as you might have guessed, are the petrified remains of previous invaders.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1549 on: April 02, 2022, 01:41:52 pm »

Expanding on the "man who blows his brains out" from earlier - deranged pulsating-headed man whose head explodes (or rather a caste for a roaming fake "bandit"-esque creature). Video of the ability in action - kinda looks cool actually. Changed the bone shard density after this test too so it doesn't knock back.

Thunderforge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: April 07, 2022, 01:15:14 pm »

I’ve changed all the words used for names in the dwarf language raw for… more preferential names. Obviously I’ve kept Urist, but now we have Glod, Ungrim, Drong, Thorgim, etc.
Klinka Na Karaz : Grung A Na Grungron : Az A Na Ankor
A Pick for the Earth : A Hammer for the Anvil : An Axe for everything else

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: April 12, 2022, 03:44:16 am »

I've been working on a poison-based mod which includes, among other things, the ability to add poisons to items. Based on the rules I set out for what constitutes as a combat-usable poison, it turns out that the most abundantly available poison that most forts are going to have access to is booze. The idea of defending your fort by stabbing your enemies into drunkenness is such an incredibly dorfy concept, and I love it.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1552 on: April 12, 2022, 12:21:30 pm »

Boogeyman replacements.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #1553 on: April 15, 2022, 01:51:43 am »

The stealth bug is really getting me down.

There are a whole bunch of things I'd like to implement using HIDE interactions, but with hidden creatures being invincible in Adventure Mode...it's kind of a drag, you know?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #1554 on: April 15, 2022, 02:14:52 am »

I came up with a new way of implementing finishing moves for my Fortal Kombat mod.  Dealing a blood-drawing or bone-breaking blow using an unarmed attack (generally only possible if you've basically beaten them already) imparts a combination of traits which could be targeted by interactions, letting you finish them off with a variety of what would otherwise be overpowered attacks depending on what secret powers you've acquired (it also makes them take additional force damage from attacks so you can do stuff like explode their head with a heavy punch).

The mechanic is so much fun that I might make additional sphere secrets that aren't strictly speaking from the Mortal Kombat games, but feel as if they could be.  Maybe a secret of hunting that lets you turn your defeated enemy into a small prey creature and summon dogs to chase them down...

It's a shame there's no way to deal physical blows or make enemies explode using interactions.

Anyone know of a good way to make a non-lethal fire attack that can be safely used by non-fireproof creatures?  Fireballs in DF are pretty overpowered and I'd like to restrict them to finishers, but you can't have a secret-based mod without pyromancy.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1555 on: April 16, 2022, 10:31:38 am »

Maybe a secret of hunting that lets you turn your defeated enemy into a small prey creature and summon dogs to chase them down...
Sounds like a version of animality+babality. Maybe the animal and birth spheres could be used for those.

EDIT: Or children sphere rather than birth - I forgot it existed.

Anyone know of a good way to make a non-lethal fire attack that can be safely used by non-fireproof creatures?  Fireballs in DF are pretty overpowered and I'd like to restrict them to finishers, but you can't have a secret-based mod without pyromancy.
i once used blisters+pain+bleeding-inducing inorganic projectiles for that, and now a projectile that comes out with a high melting point and slightly lower boiling point so that it evaporates immediately on a hit (for an AOE effect) - latter can still set stuff on fire, but its also likely to just cause some melting damage.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 10:42:58 am by ZM5 »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: April 18, 2022, 12:19:16 am »

so saw that bogeyman replacement and realize the game will keep track of those hallucinations in legend mode and I guess in some scenarios with the adventurer the hallucinations will linger on outside of the cackling event.
As they don't poof when the sun shows up they only poof when the game ends the cackling event(which one of the set ups for that is sun rising but it's not tied to the creature.)... and if their corpse lingers awhile.
let alone interactions can affect them so any lingering necromancy, status effects and syndromes would also affect them.
like with how they work you could pull a quantum disturbance being with them... but I Don't think LISA series has dimensional crossing characters in it (if this is a lisa mod). so I guess hidden joy mutants that appear and explode into fine mist? though turning the player into a type of joy mutant that seems fine up until they activate the cackling and find out that they need to reverse the transformation or they just also die along with the other mutants when the event ends seems like a lisa event.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1557 on: April 18, 2022, 02:19:28 am »

so saw that bogeyman replacement and realize the game will keep track of those hallucinations in legend mode and I guess in some scenarios with the adventurer the hallucinations will linger on outside of the cackling event.
As they don't poof when the sun shows up they only poof when the game ends the cackling event(which one of the set ups for that is sun rising but it's not tied to the creature.)... and if their corpse lingers awhile.
let alone interactions can affect them so any lingering necromancy, status effects and syndromes would also affect them.
like with how they work you could pull a quantum disturbance being with them... but I Don't think LISA series has dimensional crossing characters in it (if this is a lisa mod). so I guess hidden joy mutants that appear and explode into fine mist? though turning the player into a type of joy mutant that seems fine up until they activate the cackling and find out that they need to reverse the transformation or they just also die along with the other mutants when the event ends seems like a lisa event.
The hallucinations poof when the cackling ends so their corpses dont linger (their severed body bits do though - taken a precaution so that their body materials have the "mystery" prefix rather than "hallucination" - should give the effect of the player character waking up from their hallucination trip surrounded by unidentifiable severed limbs and piles of blood and gore).
There's several different types of hallucinations, mostly for a creepy experience in some evil biomes (especially since their "descriptions" don't actually describe them) - there's gonna be clouds of hallucinogenic mist rolling through evil biomes, as a reason to why the hallucinations would appear - going with the assumption that they're just normal creatures (for the setting, anyway) like bears or snakes, but the player character is seeing them twisted and far more grotesque due to the mist - presumably they too are freaking out due to the mist.

It is a LISA mod, and nah, joy mutants aren't considered bogeys - there's several variants, some are crazed wild predators, some are docile and can be tamed, and some of the more huge and/or more twisted than usual ones are megabeast variants. One of the hallucinations is ostensibly a weaker joy mutant, but the "joy addict" castes obviously don't transform into that one.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 02:25:54 am by ZM5 »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: April 18, 2022, 07:34:48 am »

The hallucinations poof when the cackling ends so their corpses dont linger (their severed body bits do though - taken a precaution so that their body materials have the "mystery" prefix rather than "hallucination" - should give the effect of the player character waking up from their hallucination trip surrounded by unidentifiable severed limbs and piles of blood and gore).
There's several different types of hallucinations, mostly for a creepy experience in some evil biomes (especially since their "descriptions" don't actually describe them) - there's gonna be clouds of hallucinogenic mist rolling through evil biomes, as a reason to why the hallucinations would appear - going with the assumption that they're just normal creatures (for the setting, anyway) like bears or snakes, but the player character is seeing them twisted and far more grotesque due to the mist - presumably they too are freaking out due to the mist.

so like when I brought this up, I was wondering about the idea of how would you handle the "hallucinations getting out of the cackling"?
like there's a potential chance say the player talks to one of them then dies and ends the game session and doing so means the game unloads the map and stores any historical figures including the hallucinations that got talked to. which adds them into legends and saves them for next session and usually keeps them in the area where the previous adventurer died.
though depending on if you make these hallucinations sapient I ponder if I could re-do the same experiment I did with bogeymen in vanilla about year ago and probably move one into a player fort.
though I guess if not sapient then that opens the door to taming and domesticating hallucinations.
which probably also leads to someone making hallucination/mystery meals, mystery clothes, mystery trinkets.

oh yeah one more thing the corpses linger for like 1 frame after the cackling ends so a necromancer could reanimate the corpses after ending the cackling by killing them all.
so on the off chance there's necromancy in this mod one could probably get an undead hallucination companion or mount depending on if A they got the mount token on them, B turn into a creature that has the mount token on them thus means you can just ride them while they turn into that creature and maintain the mount afterwards.

though I guess most of what I brought up is covered by 'hallucinations are just wild animals in some hallucinogenic mist'

hmm now I wonder if night_creature_bogeyman just makes it so the creature corpse vaporizes and that they just show up in the cackling(and kills them if the cackling ends), or is there any thing else to it like preventing them showing up in the wild... I know that token doesn't prevent entities from having them as I tested that on humans (who behave like normal up until cackling event happens then they just all die when/if the adventurer ends the cackling) and animal entity tokens allows one to have bogeymen as citizens. though with how rare it is to start that event I wonder if the token just doubles as a 'vaporize corpses' token until the player goes through and cause the cackling to happen.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: April 18, 2022, 07:59:52 pm »

In spellcrafts I have witchlights which were once bogeymen and could show up with the cackling. Bit also appeared as wildlife and elsewhere. Not sure if it still works though, haven't found a region where bogeymen spawn
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 121