Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 121

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 268761 times)

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #1500 on: November 23, 2021, 01:30:24 pm »

Though I haven't been modding lately, I've been watching the thing with Meph and Vettlingr and Kitfox.

My takeaways:

1.Always meticulously follow licensing/crediting rules.

2.Stealing things creates great work, but is legally dangerous.

3.Patreon is way, way more trouble than it's worth here.

4.I originally tried to make Primal's tileset by scrounging up tiles, but I couldn't find enough and had to do it the hard way by drawing every single one myself. In retrospect, really glad I did it that way.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 01:32:29 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

nrh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: November 24, 2021, 11:11:57 am »

I found some interesting things about dwarves who own food:

1. If dwarf owns a prepared meal, he prioritizes eating it. Finally not some raw plump helmet!
2. Looks like if food owned by dwarf is stored on the table -- it does not rot. And dwarf doesn't try to throw it on the floor.

So I found how to create jobs in advfort.lua and made this experimental script based on it: https://github.com/Uvellibash/df-experiments/blob/main/hack/script/servant.lua

It counts private dining rooms and empty tables. Then it creates jobs to move prepared food on dining room tables, 1 meal per table.

If dining room is shared with spouse and has two tables -- 2 jobs are created.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To move things I use bringItemToDepot job-type. But instead of depot I pass coordinates of the table, and it just works. It also works with chests, maybe other buildings.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: November 24, 2021, 06:01:48 pm »

Id almost say foward this to Toady, it could speed along things considerably for some aspects of the tavern arc, but id definitely use it if dwarves could be a bit more picky to choose their preference food for the job (unless somoene else brings it in? Im not sure)

Very interesting, do dwarves drink out of owned mugs stored on tables too?

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: November 25, 2021, 04:06:24 am »

Everybody likes spiders. Better yet, man-spiders. I'm talking about yet another classic D&D monster, the ettercap.
My ettercaps are specialized bipedal arachnids rather than just spider-related monsters - they have eight limbs (two arms, two legs, four vestigal appendages) with hands end feet ending with tarsal claws, eight eyes, venomous mandibles, and sticky webs. Generally they are ambush predators.

-weaver ettercap - a generalist ettercap, unremarkable when it comes to size or abilities. It sprays web from 3 tiles away, and gold ts venom causes pain, then numbness, then possible temporary paralysis of the bitten body part. The size is 70k for males and 100k for females.

-hairy ettercap - a huge tropical ettercap that assaults its victims with its powerful arms. It does not actually spray webs, though it still creates silk (compatible with Kazoo's silk eggs mod). It's venom isn't all that powerful either, causing pain and mild swelling. Males are 200k, and females are 220k.

Assassin ettercap - a highly specialized species that uses its vestigal appendages as stingers. Said appendages are greatly enlarged while its arms are reduced in size. Its venom has a chance to inflict many different effects: localized swelling, oozing and/or necrosis, fever, drowsiness, even long lasting coma. It can spray webs from 5 tiles, although with a long cooldown. Size-wise, males are 50k, females 80k.

-cave ettercap - a spindly ettercap that specializes in long distance web-slinging. Its venom goes straight to the lungs and heart, causing paralysis that either goes away quickly or persists until the victim suffocates. 45k for males, 60k for females.

-umber ettercap - a massive ettercap from below the earth. It lacks the ability to spin webs completely, but in exchange it has enormous arms and mandibles that tear the flesh of anything that it perceives as food. Its venom causes mild dizziness, erratic behavior, and a sense of dread, that is if one doesn't get decapitated by its huge mandibles. 300k for males, 400k for females.

nrh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: November 25, 2021, 05:15:23 am »

Id almost say foward this to Toady, it could speed along things considerably for some aspects of the tavern arc, but id definitely use it if dwarves could be a bit more picky to choose their preference food for the job (unless somoene else brings it in? Im not sure)
It's not hard to change. Selecting best food from a list requires some more computations. I will make it an option later.

Very interesting, do dwarves drink out of owned mugs stored on tables too?

I experimented with giving a barrel of wine. Dwarves don't like it when their owned items are stored inside other items (not constructed buildings, like table, chest or cabinet). Most likely they would pick wine from a container and throw it on the floor of their room. Happens even if container is in the room already. And this goes as "store owned item" job, which is classified as "TidyUp" in raws.

Other problem is how to force dwarf to fill a mug if not for drinking. There is no separate job for that.

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: November 28, 2021, 02:29:49 am »

While working on a custom creature I noticed there some, uh, odd quirks with how the rat raws are established and how that effects rat people. Y'see, because rats aren't given a childhood stage and have their full body size established at 0-days old, that also means that rat people are born fully grown as adults, those poor rat women mothers. It's a mercy for them that another quirk in the rat raws means they only give birth to single offspring rather than a real rat's up to 18 pups, because well...

I just thought I'd leave everyone with that mental image

Fae

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: December 02, 2021, 05:33:26 am »

I managed to finally do my first mod which was making goats able to be sheared like sheep or alpaca wool! Basically like actual cashmere! Now I can do a fort based around goat products. :D

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: December 04, 2021, 07:27:55 am »

I'm back at the Elder Scrolls mod, getting to the end of the guar family:
-Guar vamidium - a dwemer mount, benign and unable to bite, though its kicks may be deadly due to them being composed of dense dwemer metal. Can be found in the caverns.

-Frost atronach kagouti - a kagouti-shaped daedra made of ice. They can cast frost cloak, causing creatures caught in the cloud of frost to get blisters, slowdown, and decrease in endurance. The atronach lacks tusks for some reason, but that's how it is in ESO.

That leaves the storm and iron atronach guars. I gotta be honest, I don't like working with inorganic creatures all that much.
I should also give mundane guar species some sort of "milk". I think I'll actually name it "milk".

I've started fish which should be fun. There's a lot of those in ESO, and none of them have any dscriptions, so I can get creative. Anyway, so far I've made some slaughterfish:

-slaughterfish - the regular ones based of the lobe-finned ones in Skyrim and ESO. They are common in all temperate bodies of water. Most are slightly smaller than a dwarf, but some don't stop growing until they are 400k in size.

-blind slaughterfish - mentioned once in a dialogue in Morrowind, apparently larger than the regular one. I based their appearance of the slaughterfish from Oblivion except white. They live in underground lakes. I gave them extravision to emphasize their keen senses that make up for their lack of vision.

-electric slaughterfish - from the same conversation as the blind one,  similar to the ones from Daggerfall. They prefer saltwater, both temperate and tropical. I'd imagine their electric attacks wouldn't be extremely potent, however there would be a small chance for paralysis.

Next up: the remaining guar atronachs, and fish.

EDIT:

Unrelated to the TES mod, some plants:

-Tree sundew - a giant madagascar sundew

-Pitcher tree - a pitcher plant except tall, shaped like a palm tree

-Giant trumpet pitcher - exactly what it says on the tin

-Flytrap tree - a tree-shaped venus flytrap

They can all be found in wetlands, and their wood is on the heavier side.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 04:58:08 pm by SQman »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: December 08, 2021, 08:44:32 pm »

Decided to slowly return to modding DF because why the heck not. It is somewhat soothing in its own way, New mod, though, don't want to have to remember where I left off with other stuff.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: December 09, 2021, 06:57:23 am »

Decided to slowly return to modding DF because why the heck not. It is somewhat soothing in its own way, New mod, though, don't want to have to remember where I left off with other stuff.

Glad to see it, your old warhammer mods have left me months of fun to poke, prod and build upon.

For myself, i've been experimenting with [COMMANDER:<position>:<all?>] tokens, and thus far i think i've made a breathrough in how to properly organize army controllers so they aren't a spawl of bottom level non-historical captains rushing, which should mean gameplay wise that a entire army can be capped for gameplay purposes to be defeatable within invader-cap by restricting their numbers.

Just a tweak to put a number instead of 'all' and tightly controlling captains within the framework.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #1510 on: December 10, 2021, 12:42:56 am »

Glad to see it, your old warhammer mods have left me months of fun to poke, prod and build upon.

For myself, i've been experimenting with [COMMANDER:<position>:<all?>] tokens, and thus far i think i've made a breathrough in how to properly organize army controllers so they aren't a spawl of bottom level non-historical captains rushing, which should mean gameplay wise that a entire army can be capped for gameplay purposes to be defeatable within invader-cap by restricting their numbers.

Just a tweak to put a number instead of 'all' and tightly controlling captains within the framework.

Oh, I've been trying to figure this out! Is it possible to make it so that a civ generates histfig generals according to the scale of its wars, instead of always having the same number?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: December 10, 2021, 08:46:48 am »

Oh, I've been trying to figure this out! Is it possible to make it so that a civ generates histfig generals according to the scale of its wars, instead of always having the same number?

Squamous has a kind of archetype, where the units are directly tied to the nobles rather than standing independent for the monarch, which isn't exactly the same way i do it, but they believe it'll make them more historically prevalent and turn up for fights, which falls within the realms of my own theories about defeatable army sizes, where if they only send one controller at a time within a engineered size 200 (with no mercenaries used in fortress mode), 250-300 invader cap should be enough to have all the war animals, and top to bottom military heirarchy when they grow that large appear with maybe some space left over. Still pending a live test.

I have a save with some of my WIP token configurations here, common army dwarves, elven tribal warriors & animalperson volunteers, feudal humans with unedited goblins, though some of them need chat-worthy so you can properly monitor histfig military units from the crowd. So this is what i've been working on recently.

Dylan Ail Don

• Bay Watcher
  • Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: December 11, 2021, 10:17:55 pm »

I'm creating a simple but nice mod that adds a new building: The Livery Yard.

A Livery Yard allows your dwarves to ride tamed animals. You pasture an animal over the workshop, and with just a reaction your worker will become a real rider.

Anyways, I can't manage to make mounts useful in Fortress Mode. I already explained this in another post. I'm trying to make the mount have the same pathfinding of its rider, but I can't manage to do it well.

I added a function in the mod's script that tries to make the mount go to the same place that the rider wants, but it doesn't change anything.

Code: [Select]
function fixRiders()
for k, unit in ipairs(df.global.world.units.active) do
if dfhack.units.isCitizen(unit) and unit.riding_item_id ~= -1 then
local mount = df.unit.find(tonumber(unit.riding_item_id))
-- This should fix pathfinding issues. The mount will try to go to the same place as the rider at all times.
-- based on companion-order.lua
if mount.path.dest.x ~= unit.path.dest.x or mount.path.dest.y ~= unit.path.dest.y or mount.path.dest.z ~= unit.path.dest.z then
mount.idle_area.x = unit.path.dest.x
mount.idle_area.y = unit.path.dest.y
mount.idle_area.z = unit.path.dest.z
mount.idle_area_type = df.unit_station_type.ChainedAnimal -- Doubtful
mount.idle_area_threshold = 0
mount.follow_distance = 50
mount.path.dest = {x=unit.path.dest.x,y=unit.path.dest.y,z=unit.path.dest.z}
mount.path.goal = df.unit_path_goal.SiteWalk -- Doubtful
mount.path.path.x:resize(0)
mount.path.path.y:resize(0)
mount.path.path.z:resize(0)
end
end
end
dfhack.timeout(1, 'ticks', fixRiders)
end

I'll keep trying.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: December 12, 2021, 09:58:12 am »

I'm a little confused about how site population caps work. In vanilla site populations are supposedly capped at 120, but I'm sure I've seen big cities before, though they are rare.

Setting the pop cap for city-builders to much higher values, like 10000, makes enormous metropolises a fairly common feature, which are fun to explore. Surprisingly, the slowdown isn't that bad.  Do NOT try this with fortresses.

For some reason, alligators tend to show up a lot in these cities, at least in my experience. Why alligators specifically? I have no idea. Is it because they are large predators that can live underwater? Are they breeding in the sewers? Could be just a coincidence, but it doesn't feel like one.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: December 13, 2021, 06:10:31 pm »

Fine-tuning a creature: a vermin beetle that hangs around your refuse piles. Its bite is not strong enough to be dangerous to human-scale creatures on its own (as long as you don't leave dead bodies all over your meeting hall), but when a bunch of them are captured and thrown into a small pit together they serve as a means of "disposing" of unwanted enemies.

Although now that I think about it, they might still be dangerous to pets and children...

Spoiler: Blood Beetles (click to show/hide)

Has anyone actually established whether VERMIN_ROTTER causes things to rot faster, or does it just mean the vermin are attracted to decaying items without actually causing it? If the former, a beetle pit might also serve as a way of skeletonizing corpses faster...though retrieving said skeletons could prove tricky.
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] 102 103 ... 121