Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 121

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 268746 times)

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #1485 on: September 24, 2021, 07:02:22 am »

Creatures!

Gorbs are quadrupedal birds closely related to owlbears, but unlike their cousins they have long wings that serve as arms as well as legs, which gives them ape-like appearance. They have enormous, brightly colored beaks that they use to pick fruit and crack nuts.

-Fire-billed gorb - a large gorb from tropical forests, roughly the size of a gorilla. It is useful as a war beast - matures and grows to full size faster than gorillas. Name derives from its bright orange beak.

-Long-winged gorb - a small, gibbon-like gorb. Valuable as a pet, but that's about it. Climbs faster than it walks.

-Bald-headed gorb - a gorb with a featherless, vibrant blue head. It's roughly the size of a chimp, but it's rather cowardly.

-Fungorb - a gorb with a serrated beak for shredding cavern fungi. It is territorial and easily angered. Appears in small troops and steals food. Can be trained for both purposes.

-Gorb kong - a massive semi-megabeast gorb filled with primal rage. Still, it's just a wild animal and can be tamed. Truly the eight wonder of the world.

Owlbears are still in the concept phase, but I've got a good idea what to do. They are deadly predators with sharp claws on their wings.

-Great owlbear - the basic kind, resembling a huge grizzly bear crossed with a great horned owl. A solitary denizen of temperate forests and mountains. Trainable for war and hunting, and also a mount for daring riders.

-Snowy owlbear - a slightly smaller species, but still huge and prone to rage. They can be encountered in tundras and taigas.

-Sandy owlbear - a small owlbear the size of a large dog. Digs through sand for rodents and other vermin, but will attack anyone who gets too close. Bird-bear honey badger. Lives in deserts, grasslands and savannas.

Running owlbear - a slim owlbear with long legs and wings, resembling a canine rather than a bear. Shows up in a wide variety of tropical biomes.

As soon as I remembered that caverns exist I came up with some variations for existing creatures:

-Blind wyvern - an eyeless wyvern with long, fleshy whiskers. Related to jabberwocks, but it's not quite as large or aggressive. Unlike other wyverns, it lives in flocks up to 5 and can be dangerous if disturbed.

-Foul wyvern - a twisted wyvern with a disturbingly enlarged tongue that serves as the beast's main weapon. Its mouth, tongue and teeth drip with necrotizing venom. Lives deeper underground than blind wyverns.

-Nosferohound - a gigantic, lumbering flederhound, a vampiric flightless bat that can drain a dwarf dry with little more than a bite. Fortunately an average dwarf will easily outrun such monster.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: September 24, 2021, 05:10:17 pm »

Unfortunately, the average dwarf will run towards the monster. God, they're dumb.

I was unable to do anything at all this week modding wise, I've lost my creative spirit, probably because I'm so damn tired and sore from work.

But, a horrible critter I had made a long time ago made a series of appearances in adventure mode; a giant parasitic wasp that preys on creatures by injecting them with a "larvae" venom that transforms the victim into a crazed wasp after a period of time. They've become a common wild predator in this forest my adventure started in, and I encountered no less than three named ones in the span of two days. The venom, it turns out, still works. I am now a wasp and can go around starting a wasp-zombie apocalypse with my stinger.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: September 24, 2021, 10:47:15 pm »

I was googling owlbears and came across this great story about how they (and rust monsters, bullettes, and a few others) were all inspired by these peculiar monster toys from Hong Kong.

https://web.archive.org/web/20140205210831/https://diterlizzi.com/home/owlbears-rust-monsters-and-bulettes-oh-my/

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: September 24, 2021, 11:46:35 pm »

That is a corn-on-the-kappa.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: September 25, 2021, 04:19:47 am »

Yeah! I read about this too. I was so fascinated by it, I figured that the next time I go to Hong Kong, I'll dig around some of the old toy shops and hobby shops to see if any of these were sold there. I'm curious what they're meant to be - Ultraman foes seems likely, but it could be anything.

Will Phoenix

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Oh, hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: September 25, 2021, 03:08:18 pm »

I got no idea why, but I made beds brewable.

Now with a simple bed and a still, my dwarves can drink a mug of bed mead which has a 50% probability of causing bleeding due to the splinters in the drink.  8)

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #1491 on: September 26, 2021, 05:05:53 am »

Getting back into the swing of things, mostly thinking of doing various tribal-type invader races - some simpler, and some more complex in terms of castes and the like (more complex ones also being tougher). Figure most will be some OC ideas and others will be taken from Black Desert - some of the tribal factions in that game would make for simple but neat invaders. Will probably also be doing ideas I once had back when I started modding (or ones I can remember anyway).

Had an idea for a "mechanized menaces" pack as well, mostly inspired by Terraria's mechanical bosses - in this case, mechanized versions of vanilla game semimegas and megas, i.e a Mecha-Minotaur with wheel attachments on the hooves so it "skids" on the ground at high speed, sorta like the GRAD from MGRR, as well as a rocket engine on the back so it can charge at super high speeds, or a Mecha-Ettin that can shoot out copies of its heads as flying drones. Besides that also some mechanical invaders like Cyber-goblins - cyberized goblins with different variants, some having merely cybernetic enhancements and some being fully cyberized, with only their innards being organic; or Bucketheads - essentially unintelligent junk-bots made from various parts haphazardly put together and bearing AI cores that are either malfunctioning or are intentionally directed to eradicate organic life.

Got other miscellanous ideas too, like the Proto-humans - basically "humans?" with emphasis on the question mark - some demented twat (that is, me) attempting to create humans but ending up with them looking like they came out of the character creator of a game like Ark or something similar - so horrifically deformed. I'm still not quite sure how to get experiments to work the way they should (still end up with only vanilla procgenned ones appearing in towers) so I figure for now they'll just be weird wild creatures that one can come across.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: October 24, 2021, 08:51:53 am »

Part of DF's system for combat is an attacker's number of available attacks applied against the defender's targetable body parts.

Shorter menus for both, IMO equal cleaner simulation for units under AI control.

Besides what Sver and Taffer used for facial features, adding INTERNAL token to toes and fingers, and limiting natural attacks to left/right punch/kick for HUMANOID_NECK creatures achieves this nicely.

Due to force transfer's overpowered numbers, the less pin-to-tile behavior for all AIs involved in group skirmishes, the better, so along with BITE removal there's wrestling controls via prehensile grips.

Insofar as you can tinker with wrestling, I've removed the LIMB token from upper/lower arms, and upper legs to simulate the real world's possible 2 points of contact standing/4 on the ground: hands retain GRASP and lower legs retain LIMB.

Standing units who have been world-genned/assigned with hands filled won't wrestle at all.

To be consistent I guess most creatures not HUMANOID_NECK need the LIMB token removed since wrestling unfortunately can proceed beyond the tie-up contact stage to strangles/joint-locks for many animals. While occasionally funny to watch a horse spam various joint-locks, it's not all that great simulation-wise.

The problem of force transfer can be navigated in Adventure Mode under player control, but it's not well managed for AIs, particularly smaller creatures like your melee squads inflicting force transfer on larger critters like semi/megabeasts. Unsure what I'll do here.

muffinsofjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: October 25, 2021, 02:55:15 pm »

I'm forcing myself to learn new things.  I might do reactions next?

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: October 31, 2021, 03:31:17 pm »

I've decided to flesh out Kagusagi as a playable race, and in the process learn to mod buildings.

The bunny people aren't all carrots and moon dust; they are also accomplished paper crafters. The paper folder's workshop allows them to turn sheets of paper into clothing, doors (shoji), furniture, toys and crafts. Paper and origami inorganics have higher value than common stone and wood to incentivize using them.

Paper katanas could be cool, but I'm not sure if I should make them useful or just funny.

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: November 07, 2021, 01:11:53 pm »

Paper katanas could be cool, but I'm not sure if I should make them useful or just funny.

Paper katanas in general should be sharp, but highly non-durable. But if you happened to get an artifact paper katana...

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: November 07, 2021, 05:53:29 pm »

Since weapon durability isn't a thing yet, I've decided to just copy bronze stats for the sharp origami, and reduce the density to around the density of candy. Bladed weapons such as katanas will be both deadly and lightweight. Paper armor will not be a thing though, not only because I didn't feel like balancing the stats of the material, but also to give it some sort of drawback.

A few new thematic toys for rabbit kids: toy katana, kendama (cup-and-ball), beigoma (battling spinning tops; traditional beyblade), ohajiki (marbles except flat), shogi set (japanese chess), origami crane (can only be made with paper).

For the next update of the Miscmod! I've also changed the jeweled tree to resemble a paulownia rather than an oak. That change consisted of renaming "acorns" to "nuts". Oh well. There will be more plants and creatures once I decide what to work on next.

nrh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: November 16, 2021, 04:18:22 pm »

I'm working on overhauling mayor elections using dfhack script. I'm inspired by "Crusader Kings".

What was made so far:
5 candidates are selected based on their social skills and lust for power value.
Each candidate picks one populist slogan based on most popular unfullfilled needs in fortress.
Candidates with stronger lust for power pick their slogan first (To somehow compensate their lower social skills).

Voter makes decision based on factors:
  • Candidate's social skills
  • Personal relations with candidate(friend, lover, grudge, father e.t.c.)
  • Absolute belief difference
  • If their unfullfilled needs are matching with candidate's slogan
  • If they share guild or religion with the candidate
My plan is to rig vanilla standard 17th Hematite elections by temporarily giving my winner candidate insane intimidation skill. So vanila game would make him mayor and handle other logic unknown to me.

Dfhack console test is under spoiler. Candidate list(left) and voter priorities(right)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: November 17, 2021, 02:16:21 am »

Making a modpack (a very small one this time, mostly my own mods) for my new fort I've got round to fixing bugs in ALL my unreleased mods.
Caprine and bovine giant animals (Animalia) had some issues with caste names due to the CASTE_NAME tokens being placed in the wrong spot.
Guanaco and vicuņa men (Animalia) had no fingers because their mundane forms have custom two-toed feet.
Some dinosaur hybrids (Dino Hybrids) were supposed to have skin rather than feather, yet I forgot to change it to be so. Similarly, one dino was supposed to have a mane of feathers that I had forgotten to define.
Fungirachne (Cavern Fauna), the spider-puffball critter, had no eyes because they couldn't connect to its headless body. Had to make new body parts.
Canis root (Unnamed Elder Scrolls mod) had no seed material defined.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #1499 on: November 17, 2021, 04:13:12 am »

In my quest to create a world embroiled in constant war, I have decided to create a small utility for displaying and tweaking the relationship levels between a large number of different entities based on their respective ethics. That way I can tweak them until everyone loathes everyone else.

Has anyone done any science on how spheres and values impact relations between entities?

EDIT:
Nice, it works!
As a proof of concept, here are the numbers for the vanilla entities.  The left column shows the observer, the top row shows the observed.  Lower numbers means the observer hates the observed more, and all else being equal, should be more likely to go to war.
I'll post it as a utility in a bit.

MOUNTAINFORESTPLAINSEVILSKULKING
MOUNTAIN39-31-34-176-13
FOREST-3040-71-159-33
PLAINS9-2333-78-16
EVIL-36-36-1223-14
SKULKING-4-27-73-12326

Run online
Download Link
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 121