Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 121

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 267378 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #855 on: May 09, 2019, 08:15:53 am »

Hmm. No modding at all done recently besides the above, but looking at today's devblog I think that without any adjustments at all my worlds are prime candidates for widescale zombie apocalypses.

My minotaurs dominate worldgen, all die very young and love to build tombs. It's a recipe for disaster.   :)

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: May 09, 2019, 06:54:10 pm »

Had modded in role-playery bedrolls and began thinking, if I run an outsider, could I skip using a backpack despite being able to craft one? A minimal minimalist might actually be from Baroque Works.

So anyways, added a PREPARE:RECOVER to the bedroll allowing it to be strapped to the body. Figured I'd also do this with jugs and the pouch. We always see NPCs with pouches attached to their clothing, but for player characters, pouches end up in backpacks.

Will also add in scabbards of varying sizes due to coming across Wyrdean's post.

Probably go with small for daggers/knives, standard (=no adj modifier) for short swords/scimitars, long for long swords, and large for 2H'ers. Made from either leather, wool, or wood.

While PREPARE:RECOVER allows a tool to be strapped to the body, it also allows it to suffer the accelerated wear that all tools suffer in comparison to weapons. Give dwarves boning/carving/slicing knives andf maybe even a tool oriented short sword in entity.txt and go view an insurrection. Seems like wear's based on item token and then material type. Unfortunate.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: May 09, 2019, 07:06:45 pm »

You mean accelerated wear from hitting people with it, or do they just decay and fall apart while being worn on the body?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 07:08:40 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: May 09, 2019, 07:08:14 pm »

You mean accelerated wear from hitting people with it, or do they just decay and fall apart?

From people hitting other people.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: May 09, 2019, 07:09:15 pm »

Neat, so just adding that people whack each other with them huh. That's good to know
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: May 10, 2019, 10:59:21 pm »

Looking to add specific creature classes and Sound-Vocalizations in one fell swoop... and there are just too many bird subcategories for sounds. Arrgh! I'll probably have to start simple with a blanket treatment for giant bugs.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #861 on: May 11, 2019, 07:21:51 am »

Looking to add specific creature classes and Sound-Vocalizations in one fell swoop... and there are just too many bird subcategories for sounds. Arrgh! I'll probably have to start simple with a blanket treatment for giant bugs.

Feel free to grab some soundmessages from me; towns are _quite_ livelier when citizens shout and mutter.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: May 11, 2019, 11:26:06 am »

Feel free to grab some soundmessages from me; towns are _quite_ livelier when citizens shout and mutter.

Wow, thanks! I hadn't considered using these on sentients... I don't play enough Adventure mode, but in my experience towns tend to be super overwhelming as-is. Still, it might warrant inclusion.

Do you know if vermin use vocalizations? I can't spawn them in the arena to test it, but if not then it'll be a little strange adding them to giant beasts exclusively. I'm also not sure if creature variations can remove SOUND.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: May 11, 2019, 01:42:20 pm »

Vermin technically count as items, I doubt they work with the vocalizations tokens
I make Spellcrafts!

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: May 12, 2019, 05:43:02 pm »

Alright. Vocalizations have been handled for now - applying them to vermin that turn into animal/giant variants should be fine, as they carry over.

New problem: Is there any way for a syndrome to add a prefix instead of a suffix? e.g. "vampiric dwarf" instead of "dwarf vampire." Search has come up empty so far.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: May 12, 2019, 07:09:57 pm »

Alright. Vocalizations have been handled for now - applying them to vermin that turn into animal/giant variants should be fine, as they carry over.

New problem: Is there any way for a syndrome to add a prefix instead of a suffix? e.g. "vampiric dwarf" instead of "dwarf vampire." Search has come up empty so far.
There ain't
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: May 13, 2019, 08:23:47 pm »

Welp, testing vocalizations in the arena is busted. But I made an adventurer, and discovered to my dismay that passive/peaceful vocalizations occur during combat - though if that was from off-screen members of the same dingo pack that quickly murdered me, I can't say.

Better news: I found a way to override the GRAVITATE_BODY_SIZE function within the creature variation system, so I don't have to manually replace animalmen with dwarf-sized variants anymore!

Adding APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION for this after APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:ANIMAL_PERSON results in an animalman with neither large nor small armor, which a dwarf can easily wear! This will be super helpful for the next iteration of Vanilla-Spice, which is to buff animalmen for adventure/fort mode looting and trading.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: May 14, 2019, 01:13:35 pm »

Better news: I found a way to override the GRAVITATE_BODY_SIZE function within the creature variation system, so I don't have to manually replace animalmen with dwarf-sized variants anymore!

Adding APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION for this after APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:ANIMAL_PERSON results in an animalman with neither large nor small armor, which a dwarf can easily wear! This will be super helpful for the next iteration of Vanilla-Spice, which is to buff animalmen for adventure/fort mode looting and trading.

Very nice, the backward logic is that you can also create the inverse effect of large and small standardised creatures, badgermen being smaller, or not massively overbearingly large elephant or moose men using a large or extra-large template. So you can just look at a creature like a human or slightly over lion man and instantly assume the correct sizing.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: May 14, 2019, 02:01:10 pm »

That's what I first thought, setting all the really small critters to like just over kobold size, the smallish ones to just under dwarf size like 56000, the small-medium ones to 60k (dwarf size), medium ones to 65k (between human & dwarf) then 70k, and 75k, which is like the largest you can be and wear human sized clothing.
I make Spellcrafts!

Wyrdean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: May 20, 2019, 12:49:20 pm »

I created a scabbards mod for adventure mode, allowing you to craft and use scabbards as you would expect. They can also be used as a decent mace as well.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173938.0
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 12:51:44 pm by Wyrdean »
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 121