Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 121

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 267411 times)

TechnoScrabble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #750 on: February 01, 2019, 07:05:15 am »

At the request of one of my friends, I added a few custom races / transformations. First up, yuan-ti dwarves and a ritual "workshop" to summon a syndrome "potion" bar that promptly detonates, giving them fangs and a long-lasting venom that causes numbness, dizziness, and eventual necrosis if untreated for a long time.

Secondly, warframes. My fortress now has a "Helminth Nest" to turn new recruits into a random warframe. Thanks to the caste system, making variants of "metal creature xyz" is fairly simple. Ember throws fire in balls and jets, Excalibur gets an integrated sword-arm, Mesa gets a hack-job gun using material emission, and Titania gets a similar ability but can fly. It'll take me a little bit to finish them, but the error log is clean so far.

How are you managing to turn one creature into another and still have it on your side?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: February 01, 2019, 02:11:26 pm »

As long as the transformation doesnt include a [crazed] or [opposed_to_life] tags in the syndrome or the creature it should still respect all its original allegiances and relationships. Turning them into [night_creature_hunter]s or (semi)[megabeast]s might also trigger hostilities that didnt exist before.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

asialsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: February 01, 2019, 06:53:21 pm »

How are you managing to turn one creature into another and still have it on your side?

Insta-boil material + Syndrome +
Code: [Select]
[CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION:PROB:20:START:1]
[CE:CREATURE:DWARFWF:EXCALIBUR]
[CE:CREATURE:DWARFWF:EXCALIBURUMBRA]
[CE:CREATURE:DWARFWF:EMBER]
[CE:CREATURE:DWARFWF:TITANIA]
[CE:CREATURE:DWARFWF:MESA]
"DWARFWF" is a copy of 90% of the normal dwarf raws, so it behaves basically the same, minus the need to eat, drink, sleep, or breathe. There's also the whole metal body thing, but w/e.
Off defending the fortress from dragons with a tank, I'm sure.
"All I want is for you to be happy. You won't be happy until I'm happy, so hurry up and shoot the zombies!"

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: February 01, 2019, 08:35:13 pm »

More things need to be improved. There were two duplicate buildings (the east and west versions of the pagan shrine IIRC were accidentally doubled), and I'm also adding a number of flowers, perfume, and a perfume industry (mostly for the Akhadians, but the Sarvanians, Agerans, and possibly Sand Elves will also have them). Also really fleshing out Akhadian paganism.

Is there by any chance a way to make custom chairs? Not chairs, but objects that act like chairs. Say, a way to make, for instance, custom cushions or carpets that can be used as chairs? Is such a thing possible?

EDIT: Well, I mean, of course making cloth chairs is no problem. But would I be able to use... possibly DFHack to just call the cloth chairs cushions? Or, would I be able to make custom carpets, with an entirely different sprite, that can be used as chairs?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 08:58:01 pm by Dunmeris »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: February 02, 2019, 12:38:06 pm »

Types are hardcoded but materials are not, you could make a silk chair but it's always going to be named a 'chair' unfortunately.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: February 02, 2019, 03:08:10 pm »

This inspires me. I must now decide whether or not to make a trampoline tool like the stepladder, that can only be made of cloth and leather. So our tiny little dwarves can bounce up into the trees to pick fruit.

Last night on a whim i made a bunch of colored variants of marble as veins in normal white marble. No other important attributes besides covering all the available color spectrum.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: February 02, 2019, 05:58:07 pm »

Types are hardcoded but materials are not, you could make a silk chair but it's always going to be named a 'chair' unfortunately.

I see, I was afraid of that. Thanks though.

asialsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: February 02, 2019, 11:05:38 pm »

Further added other creature conversions:
Pets can now be turned into Helminth Chargers, a.k.a. alien dogs with a chitin exoskeleton. They make nice war animals.
Lacking a better solution, they can now also be turned into sentry drones. Every warframe needs either a doggo or a drone to keep the elves at bay.
"All I want is for you to be happy. You won't be happy until I'm happy, so hurry up and shoot the zombies!"

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: February 03, 2019, 05:06:28 pm »

Been playing with splitting ammo types into edged and blunt for adventure mode crafting, though not at the entity level as you wouldn't want NPCs with useless blunt ammo.

In my mod, stone, bone and metal missiles require feathers for fletchings and the vanilla arrow/bolt could cut a small bird so that its remaining corpse pieces are too small to butcher, making the endeavor a waste of ammo and of NPC life.

But that's weighed against keeping the missile crafting menus as stripped down as possible. Currently arrow/bolt crafting is one page each.

I think I've been okay with keeping menu and reaction sprawl fairly low.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: February 03, 2019, 07:20:38 pm »

Latest Adventurecraft progress:

Someone requested being able to forge metal furniture in adventure mod. Since I added forging I figured sure, why not. I found out that the construction menu claims it's looking for wooden chairs, tables etc but it actually permits metal ones too.

During testing I also found out that character creation's skill menu was using the "-woman" variant for all characters of a species that had that flavor change. I soon found the cause was simply me forgetting to use CASTE_PROFESSION_NAME instead of PROFESSION_NAME, doh.

Now it actually uses the flavor profession names only if it's decided ahead of time that your character will start off female, meaning you can see what gender the game picked one screen early. If you change it and go back it'll likewise reflect that change in the skill menu.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

asialsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: February 04, 2019, 02:04:57 am »

Currently trying to making 3-tile creatures work using tokens like [WAGON_BODY], with varying levels of success. With any luck, I should have my tanks/airships mobile and armed.

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: February 04, 2019, 06:18:32 pm »

Would roving bands of living, but possessed and murderous, humans/elves/dwarves be scary? Or would it seem odd and implausible for a landscape otherwise mostly inhabited by ghosts, zombies, and demons?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 06:22:36 pm by Dunmeris »

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: February 05, 2019, 03:16:12 pm »

Would roving bands of living, but possessed and murderous, humans/elves/dwarves be scary? Or would it seem odd and implausible for a landscape otherwise mostly inhabited by ghosts, zombies, and demons?

Could be interesting.

I really oughta revive that post-apoc mod idea I was toying with so I can release it. I'm gonna need a new name for it though. I was gonna go with an ash theme for the name since the central flavor that developed involved essentially mutated creatures of living ash and alien plant life resembling burnt grass, but there's already a post-apocalyptic mod with ash-something in the name...
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: February 07, 2019, 06:22:15 am »

im doing some caverny work, amongst other things, on a misc mod that salvages some bits and pieces from my older work. a friend of mine pulled me back into activity on the game, so im pretty happy.

I have an old AD&D Monster Manual from my folks' old house sitting around which im using as part of my inspiration
My (long abandoned) mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: February 07, 2019, 05:56:30 pm »

I've discovered that my sandman's magic sand syndrome, with all its emotional detractors, can actually cause a person to go insane from repeated exposure. Neat.

If I pair a similar effect with a personality modifier that makes them extremely angry all the time and vulnerable to stress, they should go berserk! Neato!
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 121