Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 121

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 267703 times)

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #330 on: January 05, 2018, 07:05:27 am »

I'm trying to create a civ that dies out and vanishes during the first 50 years after world gen. The dying works fine, but there is a problem. They don't reproduce so they die out after reaching max age, but the civ keeps getting repopulated by newcomers "of unknown parentage".

Is there any way to make that stop?
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #331 on: January 05, 2018, 09:09:56 am »

are they genderless? just make them all 1 gender and that might stop that

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #332 on: January 05, 2018, 09:11:25 am »

If they were 1-gender, then they wouldn't show up in worldgen at all.

Something's weird with that - if a civilized creature is genderless, you will see civs of them in worldgen. If they're monogendered, they will not spawn at all - I ran into that problem when making the witches for my Darkest Dungeon pack.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #333 on: January 05, 2018, 09:27:52 am »

hmm.. Make a 1 gender a really high POP_RATIO and the other one something like 1, then they'd be forced to be mono gendered but tricked into thinking it's a full fledged creature

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 05, 2018, 10:28:07 am »

Thats what I did.
Weighted the pop ratio 50000:1 in favor of males, so there are so few females that they die out after a single generation.

But every time the civ should die it gets repopulated with a fresh batch "from unknown parentage".
Like this:

Just in case it matters, what I wanted to do was create a civ that has sole access to overpowered weapons (and only those) and can create artifacts. They should stick around for about 50 years, create a dozen or so legendary weapons (since those are the only moodable things they can produce) and then die out. By the time world gen stops those weapons would hopefully be spread all over the world, with no possible way to produce more.
Think the Wheel Of Times heron blades or the shardblades in the Stormlight Archieve for examples of what I want to accomplish.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 10:43:53 am by Cyroth »
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #335 on: January 05, 2018, 11:40:49 am »

Finished the "playable" wild creature derivatives - I'm kinda surprised I'm still going on with this, since it seems each time I'm near completing a part of it another bit comes up that adds several more creatures to the idea. Got two megas to do now that I didn't think of before.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 05, 2018, 12:30:24 pm »

Thats what I did.
Weighted the pop ratio 50000:1 in favor of males, so there are so few females that they die out after a single generation.

But every time the civ should die it gets repopulated with a fresh batch "from unknown parentage".
Like this:

Just in case it matters, what I wanted to do was create a civ that has sole access to overpowered weapons (and only those) and can create artifacts. They should stick around for about 50 years, create a dozen or so legendary weapons (since those are the only moodable things they can produce) and then die out. By the time world gen stops those weapons would hopefully be spread all over the world, with no possible way to produce more.
Think the Wheel Of Times heron blades or the shardblades in the Stormlight Archieve for examples of what I want to accomplish.

Back when all members of civs were explicitly modeled, it was possible to do this, but the changeover to abstract populations broke it.  The game now appears to assume that all civilizations are capable of reproduction, resulting in the behavior you observed if they actually aren't.

I was not able to come up with a new scheme for assuring that a civ goes extinct.

If the pop limit tokens work again (those were also broken by the pop changeover) it's possible you can create a civ that has only one or a few sites, and is therefore PRONE to dying out during world gen (Lowering the Biome support values might also help this), but there would always be some chance of them surviving.

I believe you can make a civ that is essentially guaranteed to starve (make them agriculture-dependent and start in a biome where agriculture doesn't work), but I think that happens instantly, with no chance to create artifacts.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 05, 2018, 06:48:25 pm »

Today as I tested my Wild Dwarves and their wild ways, I discovered that the well-known and documented on the wiki bug in which Item_Thief civs can't trade properly (merchants spam 'a thief has stolen an xyx' message for everything in the wagon when they leave and you don't gain any exported wealth) has been fixed. I guess a side effect of all the comings and goings off the fortress map involved in this release. So yay. Without lifting a finger, my Wild Dwarves are working better. :)

Vordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 05, 2018, 07:57:27 pm »

Wild Dwarves - how they differ from ordinary?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 05, 2018, 09:01:48 pm »

Inferiority complex ridden atheists.

You'd have to be a dwarf to understand how the great schism started. To outsiders they're much the same as regular dwarves, but tend to hang out in swamps and wear masks.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 05, 2018, 10:05:01 pm »

Got my seagoers working, turns out that you cannot build a town in the ocean, and being aquatic does not prevent that fact

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 05, 2018, 10:27:16 pm »

Never seen this cause for a war before.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 05, 2018, 10:33:36 pm »

Never seen this cause for a war before.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Either you set "Reveal All Historical Events" to 0 or you've encountered a bug.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 05, 2018, 10:41:51 pm »

What's the bug? I didn't alter revealing historical events.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 05, 2018, 10:48:27 pm »

What's the bug? I didn't alter revealing historical events.
The bug is that there's no listed cause for the war. "The causes of the conflict are debated" is the game's way of saying "This is lost to history." Seeing as you didn't mess with the settings, something is amiss. If I had to guess, I'd say a value got assigned beyond the bounds of the relevant string-array.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 121