Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 121

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 267350 times)

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #885 on: May 29, 2019, 03:37:51 am »

I dont see a problem with letting all organs be turned into sausages. Nothing says dwarf fortress quite like "Great White Shark Kidney Sausage".
Yes. More sausages to god of sausages!

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: May 30, 2019, 06:23:27 pm »

After getting sausage working, I decided to re-use the relevant code to add... sushi!

The cheese syndrome added some fun to an otherwise pointless element of the game. Why bother with pastures, livestock and buckets when all you get is +1 food? In that same vein, aquatic animals seem useless. They don't interact with your dwarves (though I added CRAZED to sharks and carp to try and change that) and, even if you go to all the trouble of draining the ocean/river to secure fresh fish corpses, aren't any better than yak meat. Hence: sushi.

Big fish have their own STANDARD_FISH_MATERIALS which is identical to the common vertebrate template, but with a cloned MUSCLE definition that can produce sushi via MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT. Like sausage, it's an automatic reaction that should come as a pleasant surprise to the player, rather than a micromanaging chore.

I sat down with a nice seaside embark to test this all out. I built a filter trap lined with cages and glass terrariums, killed everything that moved until a Coelacanth spawned (which took a while) and after some unfortunate savescumming finally got it to flop into my drain trap before it could leave the map. While I had considered keeping it as a pet, it turns out that a bug causes aquatic creatures to air-drown in cages of any kind, while land creatures are immune to the effects of water...

The end result, however, was a meager pile of sushi and a heaping stack of fish organs, still no better than yaks. Perhaps it'd be worth it to reskin/rename some fish organ meats to "flank" or "fillet" to better give the illusion of the all-meat fish feast. Further tweaks will be tried.

EDIT: Single-count stacks of organs aren't worth renaming. Fish fat, however, is something of a contradiction - though tallow can already be cooked, trading fat for the "all-meat-fish" and effectively doubling the sushi count seems like a great compromise. It'll just be a matter of renaming a custom fish fat that gets processed to sushi...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 08:11:36 pm by Warlord255 »
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: May 30, 2019, 06:42:51 pm »

You realize you must now share these delicious discoveries with us, right?

Ive made the first pass at proper familiar creatures for wizards. I made it easy by simply assigning them as war animals; they're small and fragile, but the intention is that they should pack a powerful magical punch. I'm currently fretting over how hard it will be to acquire more of them; since they're going to be intelligent critters they might not breed without a marriage, and I havent worked out the reaction to produce the glob that should let you transform regular domestic stock into familiars.

Then we can find out if there will be any issues getting them assigned to a master if they're intelligent and war beasts.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 07:02:09 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

WonderPsycho

• Bay Watcher
  • Necromancy Cultist, Any and All Pronouns
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: May 30, 2019, 06:57:11 pm »

AS GOD OF MY REALMS I WILL RETURN!!

uhh… I mean.. anyways

it's been awhile since I've been on these forums lately, but now i'm in a really dwarfy mood right now, and feel like continuing on working on my advancefortress community developed modpack(yes I mean community developed, however not a single person has decided to assist me on working on my modpack), so yeah while I will be bringing back some of the old civs from the mudpack and upgrading them and such, I will also start adding new creatures, races, civs, and etc to the modpack mainly civs, races, and creatures, but I've been recently getting into making other stuff then just creatures and such like items and maybe some other stuff, I have yet to fully understand how to make diseases in my modding experience sadly, as it's kind of complicated for me to understand, but anyways, i'll return to reviving that modpack since i'm now into playing DF again
GLORY UPON THE LORDS OF DEATH, PRAISE NECROMANCY!!

Zed Apocalypse Undead Infection Mini Mod
Civs+ Mod

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: May 30, 2019, 08:00:22 pm »

Sounds like an opportunity for shameless self promotion!

You should totally incorporate Spellcrafts into your modpack. It's mostly self-sufficient, there is some setup each new civ needs in order to have full functionality with its features, and its best if new creatures have creature classes MALE and FEMALE assigned to the appropriately gendered castes, just so transformations that can, then know to transform males into the male caste of whatever critter and females into the female caste of it. But it isnt necessary, because if there is no MALE/FEMALE creature class, it just defaults to female IIRC.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

WonderPsycho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: May 31, 2019, 09:46:53 pm »

You should totally incorporate Spellcrafts into your modpack. It's mostly self-sufficient, there is some setup each new civ needs in order to have full functionality with its features, and its best if new creatures have creature classes MALE and FEMALE assigned to the appropriately gendered castes, just so transformations that can, then know to transform males into the male caste of whatever critter and females into the female caste of it. But it isnt necessary, because if there is no MALE/FEMALE creature class, it just defaults to female IIRC.
alright thanks for the tip but for my mudpack now, i'm no longer incorporating mods other people made, rather I want those who want to assist me on working on it to decide for themselves if they want to add a mod they made to the pack, or make a mod in the pack to improve it and such, but anyways again thanks for the tip

Civs+ Mod

WonderPsycho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: May 31, 2019, 09:54:57 pm »

but since you would like to have your mod readded in my modpack, sure i'll read it in, i'm the only one working on this pack anyways
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 10:02:00 pm by WonderPsycho »

Civs+ Mod

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: June 04, 2019, 12:55:54 am »

Is there a particular theme or goal to your modpack? I might look at it, and perhaps try it out.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

WonderPsycho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: June 04, 2019, 05:35:11 pm »

Is there a particular theme or goal to your modpack? I might look at it, and perhaps try it out.
in the past it had a goal, but I've sort changed the idea of it from it being a modpack to add more fantasy related stuff to DF, but now I decided it's going to be a modpack where the goal is to put as much fantasy related stuff till the game can't handle it, as in so much to the point that every world being generated are now unrecognizable from it looking like the stereotypical DF world with new civs, languages, words for languages and names for generated sites, races, creatures, !!FUN!!, spheres, magic, jobs for civs, syndromes, interactions, reactions, etc. I also have the idea of including new utilities with the modpack, though I don't know how to program as I wish to have more people/veterans of the community to assist me, for now i'm the only one working on my modpack, so some assistance would be great, right now i'm recreating my foxkai civilization from the original old modpack back into DF's raw folder, and recovering other old stuff from the old modpack by recreating it all from scratch since I created it all in the old modpack thanks to my dedication to the modpack.
I'm going to update the GitHub repository when i'm finished recreating the foxkai civ and finally get it working, and then i'll share it in the forums for people to add to the pack

Civs+ Mod

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: June 04, 2019, 06:09:59 pm »

in the past it had a goal, but I've sort changed the idea of it from it being a modpack to add more fantasy related stuff to DF, but now I decided it's going to be a modpack where the goal is to put as much fantasy related stuff till the game can't handle it, as in so much to the point that every world being generated are now unrecognizable from it looking like the stereotypical DF world with new civs, languages, words for languages and names for generated sites, races, creatures, !!FUN!!, spheres, magic, jobs for civs, syndromes, interactions, reactions, etc. I also have the idea of including new utilities with the modpack, though I don't know how to program as I wish to have more people/veterans of the community to assist me, for now i'm the only one working on my modpack, so some assistance would be great, right now i'm recreating my foxkai civilization from the original old modpack back into DF's raw folder, and recovering other old stuff from the old modpack by recreating it all from scratch since I created it all in the old modpack thanks to my dedication to the modpack.
I'm going to update the GitHub repository when i'm finished recreating the foxkai civ and finally get it working, and then i'll share it in the forums for people to add to the pack

If you are just trying to dump as much stuff as possible into a mod, you could just ask other modders if you can include their stuff in your pack

WonderPsycho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: June 04, 2019, 06:50:58 pm »

If you are just trying to dump as much stuff as possible into a mod, you could just ask other modders if you can include their stuff in your pack
yeah I tried that before, but i'm done asking modders if they want their mod included in my modpack I decided that people shall choose if they want their mod in it, or choose to make mods that are only for the pack

Civs+ Mod

Emperor Sheev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: June 05, 2019, 10:58:37 pm »

I've started work on a mod to make deserts more interesting, but it is going very slowly, and so far all I have is a half-functional genie.

I've been considering adding playable elves who are addicted to smoking herbs using a "smoking pipe" work station, or some sort of custom food item, and some shenanigans with interactions and syndromes (they have a withdrawal interaction that gives them nausea, but they can't use it if they are under the effects of pipe smoke or have had it in the last month or so).

The only problem I can think of is that all of the elves would start vomiting as soon as you went to a forest retreat, since they wouldn't smoke in worldgen.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #897 on: June 06, 2019, 05:13:10 am »

I've started work on a mod to make deserts more interesting, but it is going very slowly, and so far all I have is a half-functional genie.
The only problem I can think of is that all of the elves would start vomiting as soon as you went to a forest retreat, since they wouldn't smoke in worldgen.
Perhaps a "salt crystals" plant is exposed in the dry deserts, a valuable cooking item. Or collect dry desert-only bushes and compact them into fuel bricks.

Might try elves sweat giving them the prevention syndrome, that way hard-working sweaty elves treehuggers don't have the nausea.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: June 07, 2019, 06:14:37 am »

I've been working on diversifying carnivores, starting with dogs.
I deleted generic wolf, fox and jackal creatures; coyotes and dingoes are alright.

Generic wolf was replaced by gray wolf, red wolf, arctic wolf, later today I'll make dire wolves. All trainable for war and hunting.

Vanilla fox is obviously a red fox, so I rekamed it as such. Other than that I added kit fox, fennec fox, corsac fox, arctic fox and tibetan sand fox. I still have to make bat-eared fox, gray fox and maybe culpeo. All foxes are vermin hunters, and their giant variants are war and hunting trainable.

Vanilla jackal was probably meant to be a golden jackal. It was joined by black-backed jackal, side-striped jackal and red jackal (or ethiopian wolf). All jackals are vermin hunters with their giant variants being trainable, just like foxes.

Other canines I've already finished are short-eared dog, maned wolf, african wild dog and raccoon dog. I'll also make bush dog, dhole and warrah if I feel like it. Then I'll move to cats.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: June 08, 2019, 02:09:52 am »

I've found many of my intended features aren't working as intended. Some of them I had tested previously and believed to be functional. Like reactions producing live vermin that escape from the workshop into the room and bite people; the vermin appear to be confined to the workshop they were created in. And vermin gobblers; turns out the gobble vermin class tag does not in fact cause the creature to seek out available vermin of that class like I'd hoped. I guess it's only for critters that root around?

Anyway, removed vermin from the reactions and made the familiars vermin hunters, though I might remove that and instead have the familiars confer a resistance or immunity to particular syndromes instead. The gaseous boiling stone syndromes are certainly working their magic in making people sick.
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 121