Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 121

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 268745 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #1515 on: December 14, 2021, 05:54:42 pm »

Just let the cats in before anyone else. Hundreds of dead beetles

I've been away from df for a while, but I'm pretty sure I finally caught and cleared up the crash issue I was having
 Witch lights are still, as they always have been, a pain in the ass material wise. Game doesn't like it when you use liquid or gas materials, even if you've tweaked them to be solid at room temperature. So right now it's just made of stoney aether. Not ideal, but not crash inducing either. So far...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 05:58:11 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Nautilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: December 14, 2021, 07:41:58 pm »

Part of DF's system for combat is an attacker's number of available attacks applied against the defender's targetable body parts.

Shorter menus for both, IMO equal cleaner simulation for units under AI control.

Besides what Sver and Taffer used for facial features, adding INTERNAL token to toes and fingers, and limiting natural attacks to left/right punch/kick for HUMANOID_NECK creatures achieves this nicely.

Due to force transfer's overpowered numbers, the less pin-to-tile behavior for all AIs involved in group skirmishes, the better, so along with BITE removal there's wrestling controls via prehensile grips.

Insofar as you can tinker with wrestling, I've removed the LIMB token from upper/lower arms, and upper legs to simulate the real world's possible 2 points of contact standing/4 on the ground: hands retain GRASP and lower legs retain LIMB.

Standing units who have been world-genned/assigned with hands filled won't wrestle at all.

To be consistent I guess most creatures not HUMANOID_NECK need the LIMB token removed since wrestling unfortunately can proceed beyond the tie-up contact stage to strangles/joint-locks for many animals. While occasionally funny to watch a horse spam various joint-locks, it's not all that great simulation-wise.

The problem of force transfer can be navigated in Adventure Mode under player control, but it's not well managed for AIs, particularly smaller creatures like your melee squads inflicting force transfer on larger critters like semi/megabeasts. Unsure what I'll do here.

Just removed most of the limb tokens from [HUMANOID_NECK]. When I tested in the arena I was able to break someones hips and they did not fall over. Unfortunately the limb tokens are also used to define the function of the body part bot just for wrestling. After I put the lib tokens back a single broken hip would cause a human to collapse.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #1517 on: December 16, 2021, 05:44:40 am »

Just let the cats in before anyone else. Hundreds of dead beetles
Actually cats are the ones in the most danger.

It takes about 10-15 consecutive bites to kill a human-sized creature - unlikely to happen unless you put a refuse pile in the dining room. Children can die from about 3-5 bites, but since they aren't hauling refuse or working in the butcher shop, they are less likely to get bitten.

But cats actively hunt the beetles, and are small enough to be killed by one or two bites. And sometimes the beetles bite before the cat can kill them...

The other issue is that once there is a hospital they will frequently cancel jobs to "rest their injury" even from a single bite.

What determines whether a creature considers an injury worth resting? Is it any negative syndrome, or does it require a certain level of severity?

I'd like them to ignore one or two bites, but if they are starting to bleed out it makes sense to seek a hospital, if nothing else because their current occupation is probably in a beetle-infested spot and they should be smart enough to move. (Of course, if the hospital is infested with beetles that becomes an iaaue on its own, but that's all part of the fun...)

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: December 17, 2021, 05:48:09 pm »

If cats can't handle an infestation, then why not make them immune to beetle venom? There has to be some answer to killer beetles skulking about or else no bone carver would live to become legendary.

As for my work, I've made a spider that can be milked. It does not make silk, but both genders produce silk-milk that can be turned into silk-cheese. Its venom causes pain, swelling, and oozing. Appears in all cavern layers in small groups.

I've also moved some of my first creatures - yatagarasu (three-legged crow) and jian (one-winged bird) - to the Miscmod!.

I suppose I should upload the new update (working title: the /po/ update) soon.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: December 18, 2021, 08:11:37 am »

Work continues slowly apace.

Mod is WH40k because screw it why not. Gotta embrace the trans compulsion to warhammer. Plan is to do a civ or small pack of related creatures and release. Then repeat. Will avoid DFHack to keep it simple and make it easy to update later.

No promises it'll ever be finished, of course.

EDIT: doing tyranids first because I want something that can be just slotted into any game without much issue or supporting stuff. Going to be caste heavy, but things will get faster to do as body parts and such are out of the way.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 09:18:43 am by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: December 18, 2021, 01:41:28 pm »

Part of DF's system for combat is an attacker's number of available attacks applied against the defender's targetable body parts.

Shorter menus for both, IMO equal cleaner simulation for units under AI control.

Besides what Sver and Taffer used for facial features, adding INTERNAL token to toes and fingers, and limiting natural attacks to left/right punch/kick for HUMANOID_NECK creatures achieves this nicely.

Due to force transfer's overpowered numbers, the less pin-to-tile behavior for all AIs involved in group skirmishes, the better, so along with BITE removal there's wrestling controls via prehensile grips.

Insofar as you can tinker with wrestling, I've removed the LIMB token from upper/lower arms, and upper legs to simulate the real world's possible 2 points of contact standing/4 on the ground: hands retain GRASP and lower legs retain LIMB.

Standing units who have been world-genned/assigned with hands filled won't wrestle at all.

To be consistent I guess most creatures not HUMANOID_NECK need the LIMB token removed since wrestling unfortunately can proceed beyond the tie-up contact stage to strangles/joint-locks for many animals. While occasionally funny to watch a horse spam various joint-locks, it's not all that great simulation-wise.

The problem of force transfer can be navigated in Adventure Mode under player control, but it's not well managed for AIs, particularly smaller creatures like your melee squads inflicting force transfer on larger critters like semi/megabeasts. Unsure what I'll do here.

Just removed most of the limb tokens from [HUMANOID_NECK]. When I tested in the arena I was able to break someones hips and they did not fall over. Unfortunately the limb tokens are also used to define the function of the body part bot just for wrestling. After I put the lib tokens back a single broken hip would cause a human to collapse.

Much thanks for pointing that out. That's interesting and unintentional due to my careless reading of the body token page on the wiki.

So, I too have reverted back to the world of eldritch abomination wrestling ^__^ ---> all can/cant_learn animals resume their training under John Danaher.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: December 18, 2021, 06:53:17 pm »

The other issue is that once there is a hospital they will frequently cancel jobs to "rest their injury" even from a single bite.

What determines whether a creature considers an injury worth resting? Is it any negative syndrome, or does it require a certain level of severity?

I'd like them to ignore one or two bites, but if they are starting to bleed out it makes sense to seek a hospital, if nothing else because their current occupation is probably in a beetle-infested spot and they should be smart enough to move. (Of course, if the hospital is infested with beetles that becomes an iaaue on its own, but that's all part of the fun...)

They probably visit the hospital on contracting any syndrome that has negative effects. Have you tested if they'll still go to the hospital if the syndrome is set to be ignored, once the associated injuries become severe enough?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Madde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: December 22, 2021, 04:21:25 pm »

Fine-tuning a creature: a vermin beetle that hangs around your refuse piles. Its bite is not strong enough to be dangerous to human-scale creatures on its own (as long as you don't leave dead bodies all over your meeting hall), but when a bunch of them are captured and thrown into a small pit together they serve as a means of "disposing" of unwanted enemies.

Although now that I think about it, they might still be dangerous to pets and children...

Hey, this is really neat! I was thinking about a general theme to start fleshing out the tropical regions of my mod, and your blood beetle just inspired me to make something along the lines of the bloodflies from Dishonored 2. In short, they are parasitic hive insects that lay eggs into live hosts and turn them into mindless hive caretakers.

As for the mod I'm working on, I'm not really sure where it is going or how it'll end up when I finish it. I started off with the basic idea of having a cookie-cutter western european style human civ with items and equipment vaguely resembling Victorian era stuff (firearms, fancy clothing and whatnot), pitted against some Darkest Dungeon/Bloodborne inspired old god cultists and other eldritch beings. I've spent the better part of the afternoon desperately trying to incorporate dwarves into the mix, but having them in high numbers just feels off without the presence of other high fantasy creatures like dragons and elves. I'm thinking about making them a substitute for animal men to at least make them appear among city folk, but it would be weird to encounter a flock of naked dwarves running around in the wilds. I wonder if having all four of the [NO_<season>] tags allows them to still spawn and join civs during worldgen, while also preventing them from being encountered as wildlife in regular play?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 05:02:59 pm by Madde »

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: December 27, 2021, 07:24:05 am »

The new batch of animals is all about dogs: wargs, barghests and black hounds.

-Grey warg - a hump-backed wolf-beast from temperate forests. It is not evil, but it is a dangerous predator at half ton of weight and with pack hunting instincts. They are ferocious mounts used by orcs (not yet) anyone who manages to tame them in worldgen, meaning elves most of the time. They can rarely be black or white instead of grey, which signifies nothing at all.
Saberwargs were also given a hump and trainability, but this is not about them.

-Grim warg - a species of warg native to the caverns. Slightly smaller than grey wargs, hairless and blind. Still can be ridden.

-Shuck - the traditional black dog, larger than a regular dog, but not gigantic. It roams evil temperate grasslands and shrublands. Shucks can curse its prey to death, literally. The victim may pretty much explode into a fountain of blood after a year following the shuck sighting. It's only 10% chance though, and shucks are solitary.

Oh, and wukongs and their monkey king leaders exist now. Now for the chinese weapons...
-Basker - a gigantic shaggy wolfhound with glowing eyes. It can be found in evil temperate wetlands where it can be recruited by goblins to act as an attack animal or a mount. It can't curse anyone, but it's tough to kill due to its size.

-Shadow barghest - an ambush predator resembling a large emaciated hound with glowing eyes. They live in wooded evil areas including taigas and swamps. Nothing really interesting about this one, but...

-Mist barghest - it is similar to the shadow barghest instead they are white, live in sparsely wooded areas, and can summon thick fog to aid its hunt. Not sure if that does anything in fortress mode.

-Xolotl - a type of tropical barghest resembling a hairless dog with a skeletal head. Dunno if they should have the shuck's death curse or not.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 07:35:41 am by SQman »

Fikilili

• Bay Watcher
  • "Elves make no sense, change my mind."
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: December 31, 2021, 10:17:26 am »

I am back and starting developing a high-fantasy mod that essentially boils down to "Vanilla DF but with just more stuff". See, I like the High Fantasy mods out there, but they don't feel too too right for me. You know? Even if you generate a new world, it feels like the mods have their own inherent lore on their own, which is an issue that I want to avoid. (Or at least, in my eyes it's an issue)
So expect races and subraces that aren't crazy looking thing-people with StarWarsey names and shallow "deep lore". Just very simple stuff that could fit in your average Fantasy universe from the 70s/80s. I really, really wish we could mod new buildings and types of sites in the game, but until the map rewrite or until someone figures out how the game generates and implements structures and proposes a fan-fix of the many generation issues, then I'll just stick to races, animals and items. Oh well.
To make it feel like "Vanilla DF but High Fantasy", I'm trying to think of ways to make each race/sub-race somewhat unique in terms of gameplay. You know? With their interactions with the world and the dwarves. So if like, if I add a High Elf race, then they should have something unique going on. Same goes for Orcs, they can't just be strong raiders who ruin everything, because the Goblins do that job already pretty well.
Beside that, I'm probably just going to add whatever I like. So stuff like Elfquest Elves and Gelflings, who knows?

Well, that what I have in mind, but I'm feeling like people have seen that kinda stuff over and over again. So it might be just better to come off with something a little less... predictable? I think I just wanna do a generic High-Fantasy mod just so that there can be one and call it a day. But at the same time, may be doing something more... Alien might interest people.
"Military? What's that? Something to eat?"

Madde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: January 07, 2022, 07:54:35 am »

I made an immobile lantern post "creature" that can be lit up at a wood furnace. Initially I only wanted to use it for decorative purposes but I realized that I can also give them an interaction that weakens or slows down nearby night creatures, since the main focus of my mod is on introducing new entities and creatures of darkness. Lighting them is a bit finicky because I use the old evaporating boulder method, but once they are lit up they stay on until destroyed.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: January 08, 2022, 05:38:31 pm »

What.  How did I.  What.

Spoiler: what (click to show/hide)

I am not using DFHack.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: January 09, 2022, 11:52:38 am »

I think duped raws can allow that.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: January 09, 2022, 01:52:04 pm »

It's not duped raws - the rest of the game is working fine.

I've checked around a bit and found that there are several instances of oni deities getting killed.  My guess is that is has to do with the oni species, which are NIGHT_CREATURE_SPOUSE_CONVERTERs with a civilization.  This is surprisingly functional - they generally behave like normal civilized creatures, but occasionally one will suddenly start acting like a night creature, get booted out of society, and start kidnapping and converting other species.

My guess is that the game didn't really account for deities in the form of night creatures, and tries to give them both deity and night creature behavior in worldgen - both creating slabs and ambushing travelers, the latter of which can get them killed.

The game handles this surprisingly well - I haven't seen a crash yet.  I know from DFHack experiments that deities are, internally, regular historical figures of their respective species, just with a deity flag that stops them from existing physically and lets them do god stuff.  I wonder if it's possible to encounter an oni deity living in a cave in adventure mode.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: January 10, 2022, 06:46:12 am »

I've had also deities being killed during world gen after some modding.

I did a version of dwarves that had multiple castes of mutants who all had the [BLOODSUCKER] token, which resulted in dwarf deities of the mutant castes sometimes getting killed during mutant purges (they had a constant secretion syndrome which added "mutant" to their display name).
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 121