Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 121

Author Topic: What's going on in your modding?  (Read 268654 times)

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your modding?
« Reply #1335 on: October 10, 2020, 06:03:52 pm »

Remember SEVERONBREAKS? I want to make creature that do this in current version.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: October 10, 2020, 07:45:52 pm »

Try the tag that does that for teeth right now. Can't remember it but I know knocking peoples teeth out still works.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: October 10, 2020, 10:51:13 pm »

I'm trying to remake Lovechild's All Races Playable mod since it crashes for me pretty often. It's been a while since I did some modding, but I'm constantly surprised by how well the game handles it. Hell, just adding SITE CONTROLLABLE to humans and goblins is almost playable right away.

Currently watching elves dehydrate to death because they have no way of producing drinks.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 10:54:16 pm by delphonso »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #1338 on: October 11, 2020, 08:20:27 am »

Made yetis and sasquatches pummel and bite faster.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: October 11, 2020, 06:49:20 pm »

Making a bestiary for my Spellcrafts mod. There are a lot of critters, and im worried it won't fit within the 40k post limit.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: October 18, 2020, 08:14:29 am »

I've recently decided to try and make one of those compilation mods where you take a bunch of unrelated stuff and dump it together, so far I'm trying to get an old mod up to date by blindly poked at things until they work the way they should, and I managed to add zebras which immediately started melting as soon as I spawned them not sure what I did wrong but I figured out how to keep it from happening. I should probably read up on how this stuff is supposed to work but I seems more fun to mess with crap until it works right.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: October 21, 2020, 07:01:42 am »

I thought it would be interesting for my race of anthropomorphic vulpines to have varying fur thickness depending on the climate where they spawn, essentially giving them winter/summer coats like real foxes have.

My first attempt was to make an additional "dimension" of castes with 3 variations of fur thickness and insulation, but I'm not able to find a way to influence how the game decides which caste to use (besides POP_RATIO), never mind anything that uses climate data.

And since having a total of 18 castes (because I already have 2 dimensions, one for gender and one for tail count) is rather unmaintainable I decided not to try this approach.

Another idea is to make entirely separate creatures, with separate entities, and have the winter-coat entities only settle in cold biomes, etc. That doesn't solve the problem of having to deal with 18 different versions of the same creature, and it also prevents different coat-types from getting on with each other, but if there's a way to restrict entities to specific climates I'll definitely try it.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: October 21, 2020, 11:50:02 am »

There's really not a good way to do that as far as I know. The best option is like you said, to have three different varieties, but with no hybridization theyre all effectively separated permanently. I would just fudge it personally and have one caste with high variability in length, density and color of fur, especially since it doesnt matter for actual in-game effects.

I've been messing with cavern plants again. My attempts to make bone sprouts grow logs made of bone failed, so now I'm hoping to make it a product of milling or something.

I'm uncertain whether my tea-and-fiber trees fruit is actually able to be processed for fiber, too. Gotta test that more.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 11:54:23 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

MC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: November 05, 2020, 06:56:18 am »

Currently making an imperial Japan themed mod with a race of deer men type creatures with cherry blossoms on their antlers (technically made from scratch tho which has led to some funny issues like them not having any fingers for a while. Also pretty sure they don't have eyelids but I'll get around to that. So far they're going better than my metallic dragon people who had a chance to be born with a congenital birth defect that meant they were missing their skulls and ribs). I've got silkworms finished I think. They've got functional clothing, although so far they've only got around 2 custom objects per equip slot and no custom armor yet. Weapons are mostly done though Iai moves for swords have some grammar issues and I still need to work on my martial arts equipment. Setting kusarigama to use both dagger and lasher skill seems to have actually worked, tho I'm not sure how it affects skill training yet.

Equipment related questions:

Is there any way to set tools to be purchasable on embark? I don't want to make my saws "weapons" since they're absolutely terrible at fighting.

I have shuriken mostly functional (fully usable in adventure mode where you can just throw them), however for fortress mode where they need to be "fired" out of a weapon (just using my karate hand wraps) you're limited to making one type or you'll run into the "multiple ammo types" bug, which it turns out prevents units from firing anything with 2 different ammo types in their quiver even if both types are valid for the weapon they're using.

Followup to that, is there any way to set weapons to be equipped to a clothing slot so I can make the hand wraps into gloves? Kinda doubt it but if anyone knows how that'd be nice.

Second followup, custom quivers? For flavor I'd like to make units hold their shuriken in obi.

On to entity related stuff.

Editing language raws sucks and I've basically resigned myself to just making it so names like sarutobi or goemon show up and not caring about the japanese being anything other than a mangled mess. Currently debating if I should keep the itemthief tag or not but I figure ninja raids are more important that dwarves being able to trade with a race that mostly makes items they can't use. Also, their ethics seem close enough that they form alliances fairly easily as well, which is really really weird cuz I didn't think that was possible. The weird assortment of tokugawa/edo/sengoku era titles I have for noble positions right now is confusing so I'm probably gonna simply it instead of keeping standard dwarf positions but renamed.

Entity questions:

Is there any way to assign a uniform to a civ position/job? Mostly asking to see if it's possible to make ninja more ninja like outside of making master thieves an allowed job. Additionally, can you limit an entity position to a specific job (basically stuff like "ninja chiefs" limited to only master thieves etc). Custom professions in worldgen would be nice in general.

Any way to edit local bandity to add it rouge ninja/ronins instead of generic "warlord/chief/master/etc." Dont think there is but would love to be wrong.

Specifically related to DFhack (tho a non-dfhack way of doing this would be rad), does anyone know of some good examples to look at to create a "sword sharpening" script? I want to use strand extraction to make unfinished sword blades into finished artifact swords.

I think that's all my questions for now. still got plenty to work on after getting all that sorted out but I don't want to try doing everything at once, so stuff like yokai, asura, and treasure ships aren't things I'm working on atm.
This is a terrible mod. All crashmanship is of the highest quality. This object is adorned with hanging rings of notification spam. This object menaces with spikes of llama wool. On the item is an image of a large oval dwarf flesh cabochan in elf bone. The artwork relates to the attack of an unknown creature on an unknown creature in a time before time. It was inevitable.

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: November 11, 2020, 04:19:40 am »

Getting back into modding again. starting with a pack of metals, both real and fictional, some even made up by yours truly!

I'll probably include a guide within the file.
My (long abandoned) mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

MC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: November 11, 2020, 06:05:51 am »

So a bunch of miscellaneous findings, mostly from trying to get yamanba to work in my feudal japan mod:

Making something multiple differnt types of "megabeast" (night creature hunter, semimegabeast, etc) will make that creature spawn in every possible category.

Turning people into vermin is REALLY WEIRD

Because legends mode will not track vermin, it will also not track people being turned into vermin. This includes people turned into vermin during normal gameplay, legends mode will just pretend they were their original species.

People turned vermin are not treated like normal vermin and instead are just treated as normal creatures. Basically you cannot Grab them with g in adv mode and they don't blink around.

I managed to crash the game by trying to throw a guy I turned into a snail with wrestling. However I can't reproduce this.

If creatures have multiple specialattack_interactions they tend to use them all at once during worldgen

specialattack_interaction interactions actually occur BEFORE the attack that inflicts them (important enough that I already added to the wiki). Also how I got around the weirdness with turning people into bugs, because they can't act weird if they're 100% guaranteed to be squished the instant after they turn into a bug!

worldgen battles seem to be decided mostly be size and material composition (of the armor, weapons, and creatures) that take part in them. Not sure about skills (aside from things like military tactics for group engagements), but if skills do matter 10 striking is not enough to make any noticeable difference. Notably, the properties of actual attacks used don't seem to matter that much. My yamanba, despite being insanely dangerous in actual gameplay, are such chumps in worldgen that they almost never manage to get names and only seem to """win""" most of their engagements because units are programmed to flee from megabeasts instead of fighting. They tend to die as soon as someone "confronts" them. The thing this say the most to me is that velocity of attacks probably isn't considered, since the way I got my mountain hags to break the skin with their nails to inflict their curses was to make them scratch really really really fast.

Adventurers cannot be made to eat bugs, even if you give them the gobble_vermin tag. Sad

Megabeasts seem to be able to become the enemy of something without interacting with them. I had multiple creatures with literal screens worth of enemies who had done nothing aside from spawn in a mountain somewhere.

This is a terrible mod. All crashmanship is of the highest quality. This object is adorned with hanging rings of notification spam. This object menaces with spikes of llama wool. On the item is an image of a large oval dwarf flesh cabochan in elf bone. The artwork relates to the attack of an unknown creature on an unknown creature in a time before time. It was inevitable.

Kyubee

• Bay Watcher
  • modding is hard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: November 11, 2020, 09:47:45 am »

Turning people into vermin is REALLY WEIRD

Because legends mode will not track vermin, it will also not track people being turned into vermin. This includes people turned into vermin during normal gameplay, legends mode will just pretend they were their original species.

People turned vermin are not treated like normal vermin and instead are just treated as normal creatures. Basically you cannot Grab them with g in adv mode and they don't blink around.

I managed to crash the game by trying to throw a guy I turned into a snail with wrestling. However I can't reproduce this.

Vermin are kind of broken, yeah. I remember long ago, someone tried to make chickens lay live bees. It... Didn't work well.

Meanwhile, I got some good metal names~
My (long abandoned) mod: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=176501.0
The litten is wandering around the dump now, occasionally exploding.

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: November 21, 2020, 05:31:49 am »

Been messing around with editing the qualities of projectiles with dfhack. After moving on to unit projectile testing, I have so far managed to make a cat jump so hard it exploded against the skybox, a cat that never lands on its feet, and another that could jump so well it went on flying for eternity until it eventually died from dehydration mid-air. Dorf science is the weirdest science.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: November 23, 2020, 04:38:22 am »

Creating some cave critters. Decided I wanted cave oysters and cave mussel squid
I make Spellcrafts!

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: November 24, 2020, 12:33:18 am »

I made a race of carnivorous plant-people and some other plant creatures that they can tame.
hi I hate this account and everything I've ever done with it but I don't feel like going through the process of making a new one right now
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 121