Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: (SG) You are an aspiring necromancer.  (Read 6004 times)

Mithras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) You are an aspiring necromancer.
« Reply #60 on: September 02, 2017, 04:50:09 pm »

With an afternoon to spare you decide to pop down to the sewers, zombie rat in tow to try and find that child’s corpse you noticed a couple of days ago. While the sewers are a maze your memory of the area is fresh and your rat seems to have an idea where you want to go and how to get there. It’s a long, quiet walk before you get to a part of the underground that is more cave than sewer, coming to a passage that ends in a wall of rubble. Knowing it is too much to dig the corpse up yourself you send your minion to fetch the skeleton bone by bone. This takes time, but it gives you time to mentally run over the list of ingredients for your mana potion, so you can get the mixture prepared as soon as you get back above ground. The recipe itself is simple, mostly dried herbs to promote particular sorts of spirits which presumably activates the natural mana of the blood. The Path to Power was fairly vague on the theory behind mana generation, but presumably the potion will hasten a natural process within the body.

After a half hour musing over the theory of mana your rat has brought out the full child sized skeleton. You pack it up in a piece of cloth and head back to the surface, keeping well out of the way of any potential rat ghost infested areas.

Back in your room you hide your new skeleton and set to work gathering your ingredients. You use your new dagger to make a cut on your body and syphon off a small amount of blood into a bowl, it hurts like nobody’s business but finally you have enough and your wrap a bandage around the wound. It is a simple half hour’s work before you have a potion. You bottle the uncongealed red liquid and crawl into bed.

By morning the wound is scabbed but still causing you pain.

Would you like to make any changes to your routine until your mana is regenerated?

Spoiler: Naleen Muldraun (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Relationships (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: spells (click to show/hide)

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2017, 01:37:33 pm »

Just sticking to the current routine seems fine, keep the potion for later. We could do with a few quiet days for the wound to heal a bit, anyway. Maybe use our spare time to look round the library we have access to for anything about the nature of mana, or anything else interesting?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 01:41:15 pm by TopHat »
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2017, 09:19:23 pm »

We should also look and see if there are any books about conjuring fire or some else along those lines.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 07, 2017, 10:51:05 am »

Yeah we have a magic mentor with a library. Up our stuff in regular magic to diverse how kick ass we are. Makes it so not so apparent we are just a necromancer in training.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm just here, because actually I don't know*shrug
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 07, 2017, 03:32:39 pm »

Try and explore the city some more in the meantime, it can't hurt, can it?

Mithras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2017, 10:20:30 am »

Hey, it's not dead! I've got a busy weekend ahead so you shouldn't expect an update until Sunday at least. Thanks for suggesting though.

Mithras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2017, 05:25:16 pm »

You decide to go back to your old routine for a few days, until your cut heals at the very least. This involves your usual lessons and a few research projects you’ve decided upon based on what you’ve already learned. Whilst you don’t make much progress with your learning you quickly rediscover a basic treatise on magery that points towards a more theoretical work on mana and a chapter on the fundamentals of fire magic.

The book on mana describes a lot of what you already know, mana is theorised to be both a quality of the blood of humanity and a limited well of authority used to command spirits. It is believed that every human’s blood has the potential to create mana however, only those trained in magecraft can actually build a well of power in which to store this mana. It is not unknown for magic to manifest within those who cannot store mana, but this tends to be sporadic at best. On the business end less can be tested and theories abound, what is known is that mana gives spells the force of command over spirits which then act out the intention of the spell. The leading theory on why this is the case hypothesises a time before history when all things could communicate and a contract made between humanity and the spirits which has stuck and compels spirits to obey. On the subject of storing and regaining mana, an mage’s aptitude with magic expands their capacity to store mana however this does not increase the rate at which the power within the blood is converted to mana. The text does point towards other books which purport to explain techniques which can be used to draw more mana from the body over a shorter period of time. Although it says that learning this method can be quite costly in mana as using it is not without investment and that it is only really effective if a mage’s mana reserves are nearly empty, especially for novices. This information is different than the advice is Path to Power and you wonder which text is the more accurate.

The book on fire magic you read on the next day contains instructions on how to conjure fire, you take this up in your spare time as well as learning to conjure earth from Arbus, and while you don’t learn the spell straight away, practicing a new spell does almost immediately give you a deeper understanding of magic, all this practice seems to be paying off, in your finesse and ability to store mana if not in any new spells.

The next day you wake up without pain for the first time in a few days, you sense that your mana reserves are at the level where they would have been full if you were as much a mage as you were a week ago, but you’ve come along in leaps and bounds since then and you reckon you could store quite a bit more power. On top of that your new-found skill helps you finally master the summoning of stone. Arbus is very pleased with you and says that he would like to help you on the next step of your magical career. He explains that whilst the basic spells are commonly found in spell books most spells are best learnt by modifying the basic element of the spell manually into a new spell, for example he explains how you could modify your stone summoning spell to summon a stone shield, a stone tool or simply to launch the stone in the direction you wanted. He asks you to go away and think about which spell you’d like to practice modifying and to what purpose.

You decide to take the afternoon to go out about town. The news of events in the sewers have leaked into public knowledge. People know there’s something down there that’s murdering people and that the paladins and night watch are hunting it down, theories as to what it is vary but you hear the truth mixed in with more outlandish ideas. There is also gossip that the king is sick, and perhaps fatally so, he has not been seen in court for two weeks and concern is starting to show. People are not overly worried though, as the king is old and his heir is well liked and competent. He has been making more public appearances lately. However the day watch seems to be patrolling more often about the city and guarding passageways that were not guarded before. On top of that you hear faint murmurs that the current heir is involved in some way in the disinheriting of the former heir, the king’s eldest son has not been in the city for some time as he has been abroad leading a mercenary band, reasons for his exile are unclear but rumours are that a king who had led an army might be superior to an administrator, these voices aren’t too loud though.

You return to practice your fire spell, but achieve little progress. As you drift off to sleep you go over the things you have to consider, should you wait to fill your mana reserve the rest of the way? How could you best modify any of your current spells to get something that could be useful in the next few days?

Spoiler: Naleen Muldraun (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Relationships (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: spells (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2017, 05:16:38 am »

We should modify the stone summoning spell to launch the stones, and study the fire spell some more.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2017, 09:33:10 am »

We should modify the stone spell to summon tools and specific shapes. We should delve further into the study of manna.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2017, 02:04:32 pm »

Modify the stone spell to summon a sharp arrowhead and shoot it in a direction.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2017, 01:04:30 am »

So, all magic is literal blood magic in this world, and only human blood at that, normally I'd say that that's kind of lame but that sounds like something that could be really well abused but with only mass slavery at least.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2017, 01:36:45 am »

Not all human blood produces magic though, for some reason.

We should modify the arcane shield to be able to cut spirits.  We might need a weapon against the ghost if it attacks us directly.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 21, 2017, 01:20:51 am »

: Necro thread:   We really need a way to deal with ghosts. Considering we deal in death and our big problem in sewer is a ghost.

Paxiecrunchle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2017, 01:55:35 am »

Perhaps if we ask it really really nicely and say promise to alliviate its problem it will go away without a fuss? Worth a shot?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2017, 09:03:28 am »

BUMP! Hope this isn't dead.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6