Continue!
- 0 (0%)
Format Change!
- 6 (54.5%)
Apoptosis!
- 5 (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33

Author Topic: Fate/STAR★LIGHT OOC (3?/5)  (Read 35799 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Fate/STAR★LIGHT OOC (3?/5)
« on: August 11, 2017, 06:13:33 pm »

The Holy Grail. An artifact of unlimited power, worth any cost to obtain. It promises a single wish with no limits. That is the simple version, at least. The reality is much more complicated, even the task of explaining the truth to the uninitiated would prove difficult. If you succeed in your explanation, what is true elsewhere is not necessarily true in this case...

Regardless, this artifact calls out to you. It chose you. Perhaps you sought it out in return, perhaps you stumbled into the War by luck (be it bad or good), perhaps you have yet to head its call. Whatever the case may be, you are in the War now. There is no getting out of it. It pulled you to America, a city named Fort Casper on a lake in the Midwest. A pleasant enough place in fly-over country, certainly the last location you would expect a bloody showdown to take place. Some of you may have lived here already.

The ritual itself was strange. You felt like a passenger in your own body, unable to control yourself for its duration. Like you were watching yourself through a fuzzy video feed. You drew symbols you may have never saw. You chanted incantations you may have never heard. If you had never used magic before, pain filled your body as if you were thrown into a pit of hot coals-thankfully even this felt numb and dreamlike- as images flashed across your vision accompanied by snippets of ghost-like whispers. When the ceremony was completed, your body fell like an abandoned doll to the floor as light filled the area. You now have the ability and knowledge to cast spells-even if you didn't before. Standing in the room was someone now familiar to you. This is where we start our story...

Concept, rules, and other such things blatantly stolen from IamanElfCollaborator's long dead Fate/millennium. Which is in turn based off of Type Moon's Fate series. Most mechanics copied+pasted. Some editing was done in the character sheets, most of it pointless paraphrasing.

As an important note, character sheets should be PMed to me. Do state your intent to play below, but keep your character a secret. For all intents and purposes, you should consider all the other players enemies (or at least, potential enemies), and information wins wars. In fact, most actions will be taken and responded to via PMs. After an important event or significant amount of time, these PMs will be collected and edited together into "Chapters" which will be posted in the IC. Please bear with me during this odd experiment :P. If effective, this means you shouldn't even know what player is what character until they die. I hope this should increase the feel of actually being in the war yourself-rather than thinking "Oh, look! Its Stirk's NPC antagonist Abe Lincoln. I'll just look at his character sheet to see everything about him doot do do da doo!"

We will be taking 5+ players. We are starting with a more traditional 7 servants, two of which will be antagonistic NPCs. The relatively small number of players should keep the odd play-style viable. The + because we are actually taking 5 servant/master pairs. If you wish to only play only a servant or only a master, you may. Ideally you would pick a partner here in the OOC thread, otherwise you will be given an NPC to play with (who may be taken over by a new player or yourself at a later date).

There are three phases in each ingame day: Morning, Day, and Night. Each phase regenerates 5 prana for both Master and Servant. Additional prana can be gained by other means, such as by stealing it from pedestrians. If a Master is killed, the Servant will fade away at a rate dictated by its Independent Action skill. Unless it is incredibly high, you will be out of the game swiftly. If your Servant is killed, you may continue the game with just your Master-though you will have to form a Contract with a new servant to have any chance of winning it. If a Master and Servant played by different players form a contract, then the players decide if they continue to control their character or give control to the other player. Masters have three Command Spells that may be used to give one specific order that must be followed. This can be something normally beyond their ability, such as dodging an attack that would have surely hit them otherwise. This Command Spells can be given away or even stolen, which gives the recipient control over the servant the command spell originated from. In a similar vain, the Servant and Master pair share two "Destiny Breaks". These allow you to survive lethal blows, dodge undodgable attacks, cast spells even when out of Prana, or other destiny defying acts. When a Master fights a Servant, the Master's parameters are considered two lower than they usually are to represent the superior strength of the Servant. At the GMs discretion, some points may be transferred between Master and Servant during character creation to represent odd cases like a powerful servant that absorbs so much Prana that its master is left weaker, or a Dead Apostle with a weak servant.

Spoiler: Master Sheet (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Servant Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 10:40:01 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Fate/STAR★LIGHT OOC (0/5)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 06:35:17 pm »

Is this first come first served? I might be willing to play a member of a master servant pair assuming it isn't, by the way.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 06:37:53 pm »

man you can't just spring a Fate game on me like this

of course i'm in, but i'd prefer being a Servant

edit: actually i'm noticing several issues already, the first being that hard mechanics aren't really a great thing for a Fate game due to the variance in Master and Servant strengths as well as the importance of matchups and such, alongside odd areas like EX and variable-ranked Noble Phantasms

furthermore a lot of your base skill ranks for Servants are just plain incorrect, e.g.
-Saber base magic resistance is shown to be D-rank, not C
-There are Riders with no Riding skill at all (Francis Drake, Anne Bonny/Mary Read, Blackbeard, etc)
-Battle Continuation isn't even a Lancer class skill outside of Extra
-Mad Enhancement definitely doesn't start at A; Lancelot, for example, only hit C, and there are examples as low as E-

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 07:46:09 pm by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 06:41:11 pm »

Is this first come first served? I might be willing to play a member of a master servant pair assuming it isn't, by the way.

It isn't first come first serve. If we manage to get over the cap, I'll ask anyone if they want to share a spot so we can fit everyone in. If we still can't fit everyone in, I'll pick sheets.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 06:58:31 pm »

Interested of course
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 08:06:45 pm »

man you can't just spring a Fate game on me like this

of course i'm in, but i'd prefer being a Servant

edit: actually i'm noticing several issues already, the first being that hard mechanics aren't really a great thing for a Fate game due to the variance in Master and Servant strengths as well as the importance of matchups and such, alongside odd areas like EX and variable-ranked Noble Phantasms

furthermore a lot of your base skill ranks for Servants are just plain incorrect, e.g.
-Saber base magic resistance is shown to be D-rank, not C
-There are Riders with no Riding skill at all (Francis Drake, Anne Bonny/Mary Read, Blackbeard, etc)
-Battle Continuation isn't even a Lancer class skill outside of Extra
-Mad Enhancement definitely doesn't start at A; Lancelot, for example, only hit C, and there are examples as low as E-

-Maybe not, but it is here for balance reasons
-The rules predate Fate/Go by two weeks, where all the non riding riders are shown.
-Its common in a lot of lancers in the story, (especially at the time it was written), and they need class skills for balance.
-It doesn't here either, Berserks just start with it at A. Other servants can take the skill at a lower level.

If you want to do something unusual with your servant, then feel free to talk it over with me. If you are just bothered by the fact that the rules are "incorrect", then there is no helping you. "Soft" mechanics tend to work poorly for a semi-competitive game, seeing as they tend to devolve into "I hit him" "I dodge" situations.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 08:17:06 pm »

-Francis Drake predates Fate/GO by several years, as she debuts in Fate/Extra, released in 2010.
-Fair enough.
-There's like, one non-Berserker with Mad Enhancement. Most berserkers possess the skill at a much lower rank. The only known Berserkers reaching A-rank are Hyde and Lu Bu.

I feel that you're underestimating the ability of people to play this in a mature manner. I also feel that the mechanics you have set up are needlessly complicated; the series itself is already difficult enough for a lot of people to wrap their heads around, and all this tallying of costs and stuff doesn't seem conducive to emulating the series.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 08:26:06 pm by KingMurdoc »
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 08:35:09 pm »

-Francis Drake predates Fate/GO by several years, as she debuts in Fate/Extra, released in 2010..
-Fair enough.
-There's like, one non-Berserker with Mad Enhancement. Most berserkers possess the skill at a much lower rank.

I feel that you're underestimating the ability of people to play this in a mature manner. I also feel that the mechanics you have set up are needlessly complicated; the series itself is already difficult enough for a lot of people to wrap their heads around, and all this tallying of costs and stuff doesn't seem conducive to emulating the series.

-Drake is listed as having Riding B in GO, so I didn't count her.
-Its still just game mechanics.

Its easier for someone new to the series to move a couple of numbers around than it is to make a new character whole cloth without any guidance (especially if someone complains if they deviate from the source material). Tallying costs is necessary for balance, the stories don't worry about it since they are stories and thus do perfectly fine being unbalanced. I am perfectly confident in this systems ability to make a functional and fun game. If it becomes an issue, I can always fix it later. Beside, I would rather run this than something more free-form. When this inevitably dies, you can run your own Fate game with rules you feel are more appropriate.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 08:41:30 pm »

-So are we counting GO or not?
-Game mechanics that are flagrantly contradicting the ones in the actual source materials. A-Ranked ANYTHING is pretty uncommon in Fate.

I'm still interested, just. . . less so. Like I feel like you're focusing too hard on balance than conveying the spirit of Fate and the fun that comes with it. By nature, the setting doesn't lend itself to strict rules because one of the biggest recurring themes in the series is breaking the rules.
GM of Trespassers V2.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 08:47:39 pm »

-So are we counting GO or not?
-Game mechanics that are flagrantly contradicting the ones in the actual source materials. A-Ranked ANYTHING is pretty uncommon in Fate.

I'm still interested, just. . . less so. Like I feel like you're focusing too hard on balance than conveying the spirit of Fate and the fun that comes with it. By nature, the setting doesn't lend itself to strict rules because one of the biggest recurring themes in the series is breaking the rules.

-Only when it makes me right.
-So the series is all about breaking rules, but you are annoyed with the rules being broken?

To make it clear, I didn't right the rules (Elf did) and am taking less than zero credit for making them. I think they will do fine in conveying the spirit of the game. Even if they don't, I am not too bothered with it.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 08:48:35 pm »

I can't do this. Good luck with your game.
GM of Trespassers V2.

OceanSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed with Exponential Hiatuses
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 08:52:18 pm »

I'm...sorta interested in joining this. Only sorta, because I know nothing of the franchise and the mechanics are a little hard to fully grasp. I guess I'll lend my presence as a partner, for whoever just wants to play a master OR a servant, not one or the other. Any legitimate suggestions on character creation? Any themes or such I should abide by, to stay reasonably close to the franchise's details and limits?
Work on a potential forum game for my return to Bay12. Figure out parts that puzzled me before. Find more things to figure out that I can't. Work on another game instead of solving them. Get distracted and stop working. Remember it a week or two later. Remember I'm still on hiatus. Illogically, Be too ashamed to return yet. Repeat ad nauseam.

Finally have a game completely ready. Wait a week before posting it out of laziness.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 09:16:32 pm »

We are obviously too immature to get through a conversation, I'd hate to see how this would work in freeform.

I'm...sorta interested in joining this. Only sorta, because I know nothing of the franchise and the mechanics are a little hard to fully grasp. I guess I'll lend my presence as a partner, for whoever just wants to play a master OR a servant, not one or the other. Any legitimate suggestions on character creation? Any themes or such I should abide by, to stay reasonably close to the franchise's details and limits?

For a Master, I think you would do well as just a normal guy. The world is mostly the same as ours to normal people, it would allow you to relate to the character and have things explained to you. For magic abilities, there is a list in one of the links for them. You can choose a single concept and base your magic around them, or have the spells essentially unrelated if you want. Ex You could have a guy who's attack spell has a puppet attack for him, and a barrier spell that summons a puppet as a shield. Or you could have a guy who's attack spell is a fireball, and who's barrier spell is a bunch of green hexagrams.

For Servants, pick a historical or mythological character you think is cool. Then give them abilities based off their legend, exaggerating concepts related to them if necessary. That is about it.

I'm kind of horrible at suggestions :9.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 09:24:36 pm »

We are obviously too immature to get through a conversation, I'd hate to see how this would work in freeform.

Guided freeform, but it generally relies on both parties willing to be consistent in order to come to an understanding, rather than using explicitly hypocritical arguments.
GM of Trespassers V2.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 09:29:50 pm »

Guided freeform, but it generally relies on both parties willing to be consistent in order to come to an understanding, rather than using explicitly hypocritical arguments.

Do they also require both sides to know when the other is joking?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33