Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: Warlocks at War! OOC/Discussion Thread, the war has officially begun!  (Read 7085 times)

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warlocks at War! OOC/Discussion Thread, the war has officially begun!
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2017, 12:59:23 pm »

In its favour, the new system does move along much faster than the old one. Whether that's worth the extra headache or not is up for debate.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 29, 2017, 01:23:32 pm »

My main problems with the simultaneous move system are that it A) isn't actually simultaneous and B) the order of resolution favors those who signed up earlier to an incredible extent and C) the choice of how specific aspects of turns are resolved (e.g. how armies are supposed to be moved for ALL players, and then attacks resolved (including returns to one's own territory should the attack fail or army be routed) in order of sign-up) provides an even greater offensive AND defensive benefit for those whose turn comes up earlier.

I hadn't even thought of it until, but it strikes me that the order of resolution means that defensive counterspells are entirely useless for people lower in the initiative order--those who are higher in the order have their spells resolve first, before others can cast spells to prevent enemy spells from affecting them.

It'd be less of an issue if things actually were processed simultaneously, or if moves and attacks were processed as the same thing (which the order of resolution in the original post claims they are).  The latter still wouldn't be /fair/, exactly, since it gives different incentives depending on when you signed up, but it'd be better than the current system in which every possible benefit goes to the earlier applicant.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 29, 2017, 06:26:43 pm »

I'm still complaining about the weird routed army defense thing, since that doesn't fit at all with how I was told army movement and attack resolution worked before.

I swear, the system's getting more confusing as time goes on.

Simultaneous move system is pretty confusing at its core so I might consider moving back to 'one player one update' style of Era games. We will see.
Err, no comment on the system mechanics I proposed? It seems pretty simple rather than the edge advantage of initiative :<

It is faster, it helps people who don't check spoilers and their planning skills, and-
My main problems with the simultaneous move system are that it A) isn't actually simultaneous and B) the order of resolution favors those who signed up earlier to an incredible extent and C) the choice of how specific aspects of turns are resolved (e.g. how armies are supposed to be moved for ALL players, and then attacks resolved (including returns to one's own territory should the attack fail or army be routed) in order of sign-up) provides an even greater offensive AND defensive benefit for those whose turn comes up earlier.

I hadn't even thought of it until, but it strikes me that the order of resolution means that defensive counterspells are entirely useless for people lower in the initiative order--those who are higher in the order have their spells resolve first, before others can cast spells to prevent enemy spells from affecting them.

It'd be less of an issue if things actually were processed simultaneously, or if moves and attacks were processed as the same thing (which the order of resolution in the original post claims they are).  The latter still wouldn't be /fair/, exactly, since it gives different incentives depending on when you signed up, but it'd be better than the current system in which every possible benefit goes to the earlier applicant.
This whole post is nice feedback to resolving the only minor error of 'what if two player units/armies arrive in a place where modifiers are in control of one person'

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 29, 2017, 08:30:18 pm »

Maybe much like the balance stuff, it's all being catalogued to throw into WaW2 and we're just to play this one out.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]