Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22

Author Topic: Sindari: Immortals  (Read 32283 times)

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sindari: Immortals
« Reply #210 on: April 18, 2018, 07:48:25 pm »

Turangol:
Turangol dove through the after the path containing the dark Pharaoh and gem.The shadows cleared and lifted.

The Pharaoh strode up the steps, lush vegetation surrounding him, cobblestone underneath his feet. His Death Guard surrounded him, expressionless faces peering from their helms. Dead guardians lay on the stars, some cut and bloody, others burned by arcane magic. Behind him a massive soul gem was carried up the stairs.

The soul gem crackled with power. Screams could be faintly heard emerging from it. A small temple lay ahead of them. Priests rushed forward to stop them, drawing on the power of the place to stop this foe. Flashes of light sprang from the priests and slammed into front ranks of the Death Guard. Though a few fell, the others spun into their midst, glaives slashing through them and cutting them down to a man. The Pharaoh chuckled grimly and stepped over the bodies, then he froze. He looked up. At Turangol.

Turangol muttered a curse and began to exit. The dark Pharaoh started a moment longer, then a shower of sparks erupted from an arrow colliding into a shield that sprang up next to his face. He snarled, and a bolt of dark energy was shot out in the direction of where the arrow came from. A figure leapt from the temple roof, blades flashing. It brought down several Death Guards before being blasted away by a wave of dark energy. Turangol’s vision faded then, and after that, he saw darkness erupt over the land of China.

Turangol returned to his body. He recognized the temple as one of the 3 nexus points of magical energy in China. Try as he might, though, he was unable to recall the details of which nexus point it was (perhaps the Pharaoh has not decided yet). He was able to tell that it took place sometime in the year 112.

Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

codybob1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Quis custodiet ipsos Renegade?
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 19, 2018, 08:51:22 am »

I go to fight the champion spartan, bringing only that which is needed for the fight.

Please don't revive Dan, they have suffered enough.

Edited for possibly misgendering a fork.
The wheels of progress frozen motionless/Unless we thaw all these unspoken spokes/Then death is coming home/The wheels of progress frozen motionless/Unless we thaw all these unspoken spokes/Well then we're going home

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 19, 2018, 02:22:55 pm »

((After much deliberation, I decided to go ahead and use my influence to start 1 event in Greece, provided that I can still act this turn.))

Attempt to replace the bureaucracies of as many of the Greek city-states as possible, except Sparta for obvious reasons, with members of the Shrouded Dawn.

The Shrouded Dawn has come a long way since its conception at Corinth. Many Greeks and foreigners, wishing to see the Atlantean Empire greatly weakened if not outright destroyed, flocked to the banners of the Sindari known as the Illuminating Mystery. From scholars to soldiers, many joined knowing that even if the Atlanteans never fall during their lifetime, future generations will dance on the ruins. However, as it currently stands, the Shrouded Dawn is just a mostly idle, secretive cult standing in the background while outsiders run the affairs of Greece. Though some have already infiltrated the city-state governments, they were mostly in the clerical and low level positions, certainly not administrating anything.

That is about to change.

Contacting his trusted followers via encrypted messages, Archaementes formulated a grand scheme. Knowing that open rebellion and mass assassinations in Greece were out of the question at least for now, he instead opted of a longer but much more assured operation. He planned to get his followers up the hierarchies by removing those currently occupying the wanted positions, usually by framing them for crimes or souring their reputations with the populace to force their resignations. For those who are more stubborn to remove, Archaementes plan to use his assassins to engineer 'accidents' to kill or severely injure them... but only as a last resort and certainly not constantly. Otherwise, he will leave then alone to deal with later. To put the cherry on top, Archaementes planned to let an irregular amount of time pass between each city-state's bureaucracy being climbed and further infiltrated to avoid suspicion. He then set the plan in motion and sat back to see how it all plays out...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 09:02:36 pm by Sir Elventide »

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 19, 2018, 08:01:06 pm »

((Not in an event or a turn, but I figure I can do this))
Use my Santorus skill to track the Pharaoh.
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 22, 2018, 03:00:36 pm »

War in China

The Spartan Champion paces before the fortress of Dragon’s Tooth. His armor is bright, spear study and sword at the hip. He calls forth another challenge. He has faced several Dragon Guards, the best warriors of the Dragon Emperor, and won. He is confident in his victory today.

The gates open and a warrior, armored in plate, strides out. An anxious gathering of China’s soldiers watch from the top of the walls. The Spartan Champion grins.

“Finally, someone brave enough to die at my hands!”

The warrior makes no response, and readies his sword.

They charge. The Spartan lunges with a precise thrust, fast as a snake’s strike, meant to end the duel quickly. But the warrior sways out of the way, the spear point scoring off his face plate as he slashes a the Spartan. The blow is blocked by the shield, a dull thud echoing over the rocky plans.

The onlookers from both sides saw a dance, each movement deadly and fast. The Spartan abandoned the spear and drew his sword, and he and the warriors dueled with their blades, each strike as fast as lightning. The Spartan was the first to draw blood, from a strike to the leg, but the warrior was quick to respond with two slashes that sent the Spartan reeling and a spray of blood into the air. The Spartan narrowed his eyes, and blinked.

The Spartan appeared behind the armored warrior, his sword swinging through the space his opponent’s neck occupied moments ago. The Spartan froze in shock for a moment, and then tried to dodge away from the plunging sword.

Flak stood there a moment, his sword deep in his opponents chest. He then nodded at the fallen champion, then in a swift motion withdrew the sword and cut off his opponents head.

A cry erupted from the Spartans, and they charged. In moments the first of them were leaping around Flak, their spears and swords a blur as they attacked. But Flak was faster.

His blade a flash, Flak blinked around them, his sword bloody as he cut, each stroke masterful as he danced around the enraged Spartans. But even as he brought them down, they were responding with their own blows.

Wavebringer began his call then. The storms rushed in, obeying their master’s call. Thunder cracked and roared at his bidding. The hail began slowly at first, plinking off soldier’s armor as they stood, but it built quickly. Wavebringer felt resistance of mages trying to stop the assault, but Wavebringer was vastly stronger than them in this element. Soon hail the size of boulders began to rain down as Wavebringer channeled the wrath of 8 souls, each refined in a gem to channel the magic of the Outside into the world. The hail smashed down on the Atlantean army, crushing even the most armored of soldiers. The worst of the hail stayed outside the walls, but even the most fearless of them took shelter.

Flak’s dance began to slow as the wounds took their toll. His armor turned dark from blood weeping from holes made by enchanted spears and swords. A thrust from a young Spartan went deep into his chest. Flak slammed his sword into the face of the triumphant Spartan, and fell. Spartan dead surrounded him. Those alive moved in for the kill. Then the hail came, and Flak saw only darkness.

The Japanese force came once the hail stopped, killing those who resisted and capturing those who couldn’t. The Spartans fought to the last, often requiring Masamune to dispatch them. The forces of Dragon’s Tooth streamed from the fortress, assaulting the besiegers. The broken, shocked army was unable to resist, and fled. Only a thousand men escaped.

This battle turned the tide of the invasion. The Atlantean forces had to regroup, and raids on their supply lines made that difficult. The Spartans were devastated by the loss of two companies. Centuries of battle experience was lost. Gathered from reports from survivors, the commanders determined that Immortals were responsible. The Cisharni surmised that the Sindari were the ones responsible. They had been distracted by internal affairs of the empire, but now it was decided that the Sindari were perhaps the greatest threat they had faced. Atlantean army regulars were mustered, and vast levies from across the empire were taken. A few of the Cisharni decided to lead the armies this time. There would be no mistakes this time.

After Ascension: 110-120

The Inquisitor and Artemis walked deep into the bowels of the citadel in the heart of Atlantis. The Inquisitor paced quickly, anxiety gnawing his heart. The two emerged into a training arena, the floor sandy, lit from above by lights crafted by Gromfin to mimic the sun. There a hulking brute sparred with members of the Atlantean Royal Guard, the best fighters of the Empire. They spun and leapt, their blades flashing quickly. The brute was quicker, his training weapon almost too fast for a mortal eye to track, but his was an unrefined, raw power. Eventually a halt was called, and the men discussed technique with him.

“Already he matches our best,” The Inquisitor spoke low to Artemis. “His temperament is also . . . disturbing. If the Pharaoh got his hands on him, I fear what he might do.”

Artemis shook her head. “He is our brother, we cannot keep him locked in here. He deserves the freedom to make his own choices. I’ll talk with him. I can’t stay here for long, I have elusive quarry to pursue in Asia.

The pair went down to the pit. The large Cisharni sat in a corner, red runes engraved in his body. He sat in silence, his head bowed. As they approached he spoke.

“The Firstborn was noble and bright, full of love and warmth,” the guttural voice echoed through the chamber. “He was murdered. The Secondborn was crafty, and skilled above all others in magics to protect his family. He was destroyed by his hubris. Now, only wrath remains.”

He looks up, his eyes red.
“I am the Thirdborn, and I bring war.”

Status Report

Americas: Octavian’s efforts of growing the Sind Confederacy bore fruit. Tribes that were reluctant to join were persuaded by Octavian’s reassurances. The confederacy swelled. Though factions were beginning to form about the role of traditions in this new society. Cities began to spring up, and farms planted.
   Through the efforts of several Sindari, peace was brokered with the Aoraki in the south. All tribes were forced to either join the confederacy or the Aoraki. Small raiding parties travel across the borders and raid small tribes, but nothing large scale has taken place. The Sind confederacy grows by 40,000, to a total of near 100,000.

Japan: The kingdom under Empress Fuuri Noriko flourishes. Peace and justice reign throughout the land under her wise rulership. The invasion of Korea had gone well, and tribute flows back into the realm. Even the peasants experience great boons, their safety assured and taxes lowered. The kingdom is happy, and only the nobility’s thoughts are troubled by the war in China, and even then it is more an opportunity for glory than an actual risk. Their great fleet is assembled, and pirates are hunted down. It is a golden age.

Spoiler: Sindari Stuff (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 05:37:05 pm by chubby2man »
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 22, 2018, 04:59:37 pm »

Let's start with the fact that I'm pretty sure there were 1594 general worshippers left over from my previous turn's giveaway of people. With the new 1000 and the original 1020, I should now have 3614 people that worship me.
Just wanted to take the time to get that written down.
Spoiler: Start of Turn (click to show/hide)

We will not be suppressing any cultures.

What was the result of talks with Serrana?

+2 to Agility, for 16
Other actions put on hold until we know the details of events in years 1 and 2.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 09:58:37 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 22, 2018, 09:02:23 pm »

So, what info have I gained by tracking the Pharaoh with my ability?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 23, 2018, 11:17:26 am »

Year 110-111

The forces of Atlantis mustered in China. Massive reserves of food, horses, weapons and ammo were brought, and then intensely guarded. Apollo would soon lead an assault against the fortress of Dragon’s Tooth, backed by Atlantean army regulars. Generals with centuries of experience lead armies into the countryside burning villages and sacking cities.

But the forces of Atlantis were not unopposed.

So I figure one way to do this is to ask some questions to see how this war shapes out. If you are doing something else that’s also fine

Japanese forces: 20,000
Chinese: 80,000
1. What is your general strategy? Do you work alone or lead? Do you fight for every inch of ground, or do you prefer ambushes?
2. Do you try to save Dragon’s Tooth? Or are you willing to give it up to preserve your forces?
3. Are you willing to die in this fight? You are immortal, after all, and there are many battles ahead that will need you. This determines how long you will stay in a battle before withdrawing

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 23, 2018, 11:41:23 am »

1. I, at least, will serve two main roles: scout and supply line harasser. I mostly work alone, checking out where our opponents are, as well as continuing to mess with their supply lines. This said, if at any time I notice that the Cisharni have put down their anti-teleportation enchantments, I’m retreating to the back and working as a strategist.
2. I say we have a threshold of men we’re willing to lose for the fort - for arguments purposes, I’ll currently say 33%. This is tentative.
3. I’m not.

EDIT: As an additional note, Jericho should be helping anyone that needs teleportation to be where they want to be.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 04:30:10 pm by Glass »

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 24, 2018, 02:25:17 am »

Taking in telepathically Turangol's prediction of the Pharaoh's plan and the subsequent investigation of the soul gem that he planned to use, Archaementes bemoaned the fact that the antics of this psychopathic asshole of a Cisharni has stalled his own agenda concerning the Greek city-states. Just four years of finally taking control of the reigns of Greek politics and already he knew that he had only two years to make a move before the Pharaoh does... whatever he is planning to do. Regardless of whether he planned to steal some sort of power hidden in the Chinese nexuses or unleashing a terrifying creature from Sind knows where, Archaementes' grand scheme will have to wait. He has an apocalypse to stall if not outright prevent.

Archaementes was pleased that Sophia has inherited about five-sixth of his Sindari heritage as far as he can tell. Though he would've still loved her even if she inherited none, the extra 'specialness' will go a long way in helping her surpass her human peers and perhaps one day inheriting his entire Sind shard,  taking over the Shrouded Dawn should a Cisharni somehow managed to find and slay him in battle. In fact, Archaementes has intentions to groom her into the necessary mindset whenever he could and have been keeping unsavory secrets about his previous actions from Herodias. As much as he loved her, he knew that she was too… honest and fainthearted to tolerate the shady deeds he often have to do. As much as it pained him, Archaementes chose to keep her ignorant of all this, if only to protect her innocence.

1 year spent using the Madness Curse on coins and having his spies in Persia scatter them on frequent Atlantean military routes

Based on his frequent telepathic communications, Archaementes learned that his fellow Sindari managed to repel the first Atlantean offensive. Even Flak, the Beast of Africa, managed to slay a Spartan champion in melee while Wavebringer succeeded in crushing thousands of Atlanteans with giant hailstones. In total, Sparta lost two of her companies while Atlantis lost even more soldiers. However, he knew that the Cisharni were really riled up this time as they were leading the armies themselves, with one of them identified as Apollo. If the Sindari's powerful cousins were leading the offensive this time then China stood almost no chance of stopping the Atlanteans this time.

They metaphorically needed the sunlight to be in their eyes.

Getting 5 of his Gold exchanged for 5,000 pieces of silver (I'm assuming that we're using either Atlantean or 'generic' currency in this game), Archaementes put a notch on each of them and begin applying his Madness Curse on them, tweaking the skill so that it'll hopefully fade from the coins after two years but begin affecting the victims two weeks after exposure. He used Soul Gems whenever necessary. Using tongs, Archaementes carefully placed each of them into a total of 500 cloth bags. Sending them to his spies in Persia via trusted messengers, Archaementes also sent encrypted orders for them to scatter the cursed coins along the Atlanteans' supply and army routes, The orders also warned them not to touch the coins with their bare hands or they too will be cursed by madness. If everything goes well, the Atlantean soldiers should come across the coins and pick them up, thinking that the preceding forces had dropped them. Two weeks later, the Atlanteans and hopefully the Spartans too should tear into each other or hurt themselves in fits of madness. At the very most, the armies will become so disorderly that they can be finished off by a swift coup de grace by his fellows, ending the threat quickly so that they can focus more on finding the Pharaoh and stopping his unknowable but sinister plan. At the very least, the armies will be distracted long enough for the other Sindari to bolster China's defenses or set up a more formidable trap.

Telepathically informing the other Sindari of his plan and to beware of any notched coins the Atlanteans may be carrying, Archaementes turned to do other tasks.

1 year spent gathering worshippers.

In case the Pharaoh succeeds in his hidden agenda, the Atlanteans crush China's defense despite his actions, or both, Archaementes figured that more helping hands is needed to solidify his hold on Greece  so that he can then turn his gaze toward Gaul, Iberia, Germania, the British Isles, and other lands to the west. Needless to say, the Shrouded Dawn grew much larger.

Desired Effects:
Atlantis' armies suffer from madness caused by cursed coins.

10 X 3 Presence = 30 Skill 1 Citizens? = Total number of followers: 640 = +3 Attributes

Intelligence:10 Willpower:10 Presence:4

Family:
   Herodias, Wife, Age: 29
   Sophia, Daughter, Age: 9, 5/6 Sindari

Remaining Wealth/Assets: 92 gold and 8 silver.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 08:06:44 pm by Sir Elventide »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 26, 2018, 01:58:15 am »

((I noticed I made a mistake on calculating some skills, so I subtracted 1 from Bending/Teaching, and added that to my Nu-Sindari instead. Oops!))
During the Battle of Dragon's Tooth (Event)

Amelia focused on fortifying and ensuring efficient durability of all aspects of the fortress--with her team of engineers and trusted foremen, she oversaw a focus into subtlety; improvements of the current design, alongside making any improvement not apparent to any invader. She tried to ensure that if ever this fortress would be taken, the enemy would pay dearly in doing so.

In the meantime, the two Nu-Sindari she had brought with her focused into their supporting roles: One, in organizing intelligence and scouting affairs, and the other focused into morale and aiding the common soldier.

During the battle, Amelia and her allied Nu-Sindari acted as fire support, using their mixture of martial arts and magic to provide relief and aid within the chaos of battle. If ever possible, it was cutting down those who fled that became a priority--any information should be denied to the Cisharni.

Year 110-111
I figure one way to do this is to ask some questions to see how this war shapes out. If you are doing something else that’s also fine

Japanese forces: 20,000
Chinese: 80,000
1. What is your general strategy? Do you work alone or lead? Do you fight for every inch of ground, or do you prefer ambushes?
2. Do you try to save Dragon’s Tooth? Or are you willing to give it up to preserve your forces?
3. Are you willing to die in this fight? You are immortal, after all, and there are many battles ahead that will need you. This determines how long you will stay in a battle before withdrawing
1. Amelia and her Nu-Sindari are generally support roles, despite being able to fight. They will fortify and reinforce, which generally falls under 'fighting for every inch of ground', and 'ambushes' (for the scouts and stealth)
2. Priority is saving Dragon's Tooth; given the support roll, reinforcing it to give it up at extreme costs is a priority too. We are willing to give it up for preservation.
3. Not willing at all to die.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 26, 2018, 07:59:12 pm »

Octavian serves as a scout for the allied forces. Though he started with little training in that area, his great ability to perceive things around him helped a great deal. He was able to locate 3 armies of Atlantis, 2 numbering around 30,000 and 1 of around 40,000. He was unable to gain more information before having to flee from the enemies own scouts.

The main supply route was heavily guarded, and had anti teleportation blocks set up on outposts and as part of the largest and most valuable shipments. Octavian believes that he could take a shipment and goods, but if a Cisharni was there he wouldn’t be able to escape.

Archaementes’ cursed coins were effective. The conscripts eagerly picked up the coins, as did a few Atlanteans. The Spartans cared little for material wealth and left them in the dust. After a few weeks, panic began to set in as soldiers began to go mad. For the Atlantean soldiers, the finest medical care was provided, and the curse was often able to be lifted before too much harm could be done. The conscripts were just as likely to be put down as cared for. The notched coins were discovered as the link, and warnings were sent out to beware coins and such found on the roads. The armies were delayed by several weeks, and the morale of the levies was impacted. Around half a thousand men died from the curse and its affects.

However, the greater impact of these coins spread far beyond the armies of Atlantis. The soldiers, having picked up these cursed coins, were quick to spend them in the towns and cities they passed through. There the coins passed from hand to hand, slipping through greasy palms. Madness spread like a disease through Persia, India, and other territories on the route to China. Fathers would turn on their families, mothers smothering children in their sleep, and brutality scarring towns as upstanding merchants turned savage. Many tried to help, but without Cisharni magic, few were able to defeat the Sindari curse. Word was spread from the army of “Sindari trickery”. No one really knew who the Sindari were, but many cursed them as they wept over the graves of those who were afflicted by the curse, and those they killed.

Amelia and her Nu-Sindari worked on reinforcing the fortress of Dragon’s Tooth, preparing it for the assault to come. What improvements were made over the course of the year? (Greater capacity, reinforced walls, traps, something else?)

A virulent disease swept through Allied armies and cities. It soon appeared after some Chinese and Japanese prisoners escaped from Atlantean armies. The disease took a terrific toll, killing most of those who became infected. Casualties are unknown, but commanders fear that it may be too deliberating if something isn’t done.

-Deadly disease spread through Allied army.
-From scouting, an opportunity to attack one of the 30,000 armies as they deal with the madness curse while marching through a forest. Won’t be able to bring more than 30,000 based on local forces. It might be a good idea to attack with few soldiers to maintain an element of surprise. Any Cisharni presence is unknown.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 26, 2018, 08:28:54 pm »

"Archaementes, I have something to discuss with you" Rigel said cheerfully, while flashing his most terrifying smile and notching an arrow.

I am one more disaster away from re-branding myself as a nature spirit... and non-fatally shooting whoever is responsible.

EDIT: non-fatal to us, the shot would likely be fatal to a non-immortal.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 08:31:24 pm by Smoke Mirrors »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 26, 2018, 08:33:07 pm »

Octavian, making use of Acter's old teleportation about the Silk Road, teleports from major city to major city, conducting damage control on the madness curse while keeping a low profile to avoid Cisharni attention. There will be rumors, however - that the source of the cure is not "natural", nor is it Cisharni in nature.

Sudurandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 26, 2018, 08:46:51 pm »

Spoiler:  Wavebringer (click to show/hide)

1. I'm out of soul gems. So rebuilding my stockpile has to be my main focus. But I'll do what I can to guide and support our forces. Of course I'll also keep an eye open for when a change in weather would be to our advantage. When possible I prefer ambush and deception to strait up confrontation. We want to fight on our terms not theirs. But I will spend lives when needed to hold vital ground.

2. We probably can't keep Dragon's Tooth out of Cisharni hands forever, but if they want it they will have to pay full price.

3. Yes but it would have to make a major difference. It sounds selfish to say it but we Sindari are the only ones who can stop the Cisharni, and we cannot sell our lives cheaply.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 22