Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The best (and worst) artifacts your dwarves have made!  (Read 5905 times)

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
Re: The best (and worst) artifacts your dwarves have made!
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2018, 11:37:02 pm »

PTW
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2023, 04:09:11 pm »

Got this one in a fey mood. Made from the sole bar of metal I obtained from melting down an angel's equipment:

It's got an image of itself as a bonus.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Goldbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2023, 10:32:19 pm »

I recently had a possessed bone carver present a bone armor stand instead of a random craft. Not literally the best I've ever seen, but a very pleasant surprise considering some of the alternatives.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2023, 01:51:11 am »

Someone made a honey bee chitin amulet in a butcher's workshop, called "Drownropes".
And some 7-years old child made a dragon bone axe called "The Abyssal Princess".

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2023, 08:37:53 pm »

Best?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Worst?
Possibly an adamantine blowgun.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2023, 04:04:09 am »

I recently had a possessed bone carver present a bone armor stand instead of a random craft. Not literally the best I've ever seen, but a very pleasant surprise considering some of the alternatives.

So they simply propped up a skeleton and put armour on it?  Cool.

alfredbaudisch

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2023, 01:03:56 am »

This is both the most valuable I've seen so far and also the worse one, because the dwarf got into a strange mood as soon as I had extracted those raw adamantine [and black diamonds].

And then if wasn't enough that they consumed that adamantine, a few moments later they consumed all of it with another artifact:

« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 01:11:50 am by alfredbaudisch »

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2023, 01:44:34 pm »

I just had an artifact (in a small 47.05 fort) made by my possessed expedition leader, who I've been keeping a first-person journal for. Olin Oilygood the Languishing Mist of Steel is a jeweler by trade, rusty now since we haven't been doing much decorating or gemcutting. Competent gemcutter, skilled gem setter, as of writing this post. (His greatest skill is undoubtedly his legendary+5 appraisal as he is also the broker, but for labor purposes, he's a jeweler.)
The artifact (Nentuksebshos Nakuthstibmer, "Witheredmire the Braided Shores") isn't particularly valuable, only 72k dwarfbucks. What stands out is that it's a bed. A gem bed - more specifically, black opal, the most valuable gem on hand at the time.
Olin claimed it as a family heirloom so, logically, I am having it installed in his bedroom for him to sleep on.
The possession is where it gets interesting. This is nine years into the fort and I had genuinely lost track of who had or hadn't had a mood so I was a bit shocked when he got possessed while taking a drink.
Olin follows a single god, a male dwarf by the name of Avum Sûbilkovest "Robustpearl", who is associated with nature, the sun, the dawn, and twilight. Sounds utterly heretical compared to most dwarves but Avum is tied with a god of metals as the most-worshipped god in the fort.
And since I'm writing this out from Olin's perspective, I decided to have a bit of fun with the in-universe implications and have him think his god suddenly showed up to have him help complete a divine design.

This was totally unexpected, I have to say. Funnily enough, he got possessed while en route to hammer a villain - he took a break for a drink and his god surprised him. (Olin got his title owing to his seventeen lethal hammerings of villains. He's hammered quite a few more than that, but as most of my visitors are intdead since this world is positively infested with necros, he rarely gets a kill. He did once get lucky and kill an intdead villain with a hammering, though. He somehow still has no skill in wielding a hammer at all, which I'm inclined to believe is probably an oversight? Feels like hammering should train hammer skill. Maybe Toady changed that in 50.0x, dunno.)
(I don't have an Imgur account or the like or I would just screenshot the thing.)
Pages: 1 [2]