Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46

Author Topic: Hive Race: The Hive  (Read 40097 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hive Race: The Hive
« Reply #645 on: September 10, 2017, 03:36:15 pm »

Right up until we need to crack a fort and their value is multiplied manyfold...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: September 10, 2017, 03:53:50 pm »

Raw TC is useful for breaking the fort, too. Besides, proposed revisions don't focus on improving ravanchers sieging ability. I would consider something like wooden superstructures built on top of ravanchers
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: September 10, 2017, 09:14:14 pm »

Quote from: votes
Spitter Streamlined Genome Sequencing: [5] Shadowclaw , 10ebbor10, strongpoint, flazeo25, Puppyguard
Revancher Circulatory System Rewiring: [1] Shadowclaw
Revancher Streamlined Genome Sequencing: [2] Shadowclaw, flazeo25
Light Carapace in Worker Drones: [1] Shadowclaw
Pulsatile Organs : [2] 10ebbor10, flazeo25
Gluten Resolution : [4] 10ebbor10. strongpoint, flazeo25, Puppguard
Delayed Spike growth : [2] 10ebbor10, Puppyguard
Worker(mace and shield) : [1] strongpoint
Improve worker survivability : [3] strongpoint, flazeo25, Puppyguard

Make 1 revision
Make 2 revisions
Make 3 revisions
Make 4 revisions [3] strongpoint, 10ebbor10, Puppyguard
Make 5 revisions [1] flazeo25

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: September 12, 2017, 08:38:03 am »

Spitter Streamlined Genome Sequencing: [5] Shadowclaw , 10ebbor10, strongpoint, flazeo25, Puppyguard
Pulsatile Organs : [2] 10ebbor10, flazeo25
Delayed Spike growth : [3] 10ebbor10, Puppyguard, strongpoint
Worker(mace and shield) : []

Make 1 revision
Make 2 revisions
Make 3 revisions

They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: September 12, 2017, 03:00:28 pm »

Spitter Streamlined Genome Sequencing: [6] Shadowclaw , 10ebbor10, strongpoint, flazeo25, Puppyguard, RAM
Pulsatile Organs : [3] 10ebbor10, flazeo25, RAM
Delayed Spike growth : [3] 10ebbor10, Puppyguard, strongpoint

Make 1 revision
Make 2 revisions
Make 3 revisions
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: September 15, 2017, 05:56:06 am »

Spitter Streamlined Genome Sequencing: [6] Shadowclaw , 10ebbor10, strongpoint, flazeo25, Puppyguard, RAM
Revancher Streamlined Genome Sequencing: [1] Shadowclaw
Pulsatile Organs : [3] 10ebbor10, flazeo25, RAM
Delayed Spike growth : [4] 10ebbor10, Puppyguard, strongpoint, flazeo25
Improve worker survivability : [2] strongpoint, Puppyguard

Make 1 revision
Make 2 revisions
Make 3 revisions
Make 4 revisions [4] strongpoint, 10ebbor10, Puppyguard, flazeo25
Make 5 revisions

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: September 25, 2017, 08:13:28 am »

Revision: Spitter Streamlined Genome   [4]

There is a lot of unnecessary data in the archaic Spitter genome.  Cutting this out and refining down the gestation process to require less steps and intervention on the Queen's part means that although the design isn't any cheaper to produce in terms of metabolic output, it requires far less time and attention to birth.

Spitters are no longer a National Effort design.  It is a free action for you to decide whether to keep the existing Spitters as they are on the one front or to redistribute them amongst fronts, so long as you make that decision this turn.

Revision: Pulsatile Organs   [Bugs: 2]

Adding small pulsatile organs to the base of the Revancher's limbs has had a measureable effect upon blood flow.  While there are other problems resulting from the grandiose structure, chiefly the fact that even with a hypercarnivorous digestive system the Revancher still has trouble getting all the nutrients it needs, this change has significantly reduced the inherent problems in the design.  Another revision of this magnitude, aimed at improving the efficiency of another system, would be sufficient to sort out the rest of the inefficiencies and problems within the Revancher design.

Revision: Gluten Resolution   [Bugs: 2 +1 (Well understood genetics.)]

By introducing selected gluten-digesting microbes into our Emitics' digestive systems at birth, new generations are able to break down gluten into components all our drones can metabolise.  There are still a few trace byproducts that cause trouble, but the effort required to stamp those out is probably not worth the benefits that would result.  By and large, we can consider our troubles with gluten metabolism resolved.

Revision: Delayed Spike Growth   [Effectiveness: 2 + 1 (Previous attempts)]

By softening the early worker barbs and having them harden over time, this allows the most problematically-placed barbs to break off during youth so that only the more desirable barbs harden into place.  We would need to make workers hungrier or divert metabolic resources from elsewhere to improve these further, but workers should experience a small but noticeable edge in melee combat and should be more capable at forming the 'worker siege ladders' they have attempted in the past by locking barbs and hooking into structures.

It is now the Strategy Phase.  You have 1 die remaining.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: September 25, 2017, 08:29:18 am »

...oh, hey. This! I remember this.

So, who can remember what we were doing?
Right, we are trying to capture Nippi. So we want to rebalance our composition to give us a few Revenchers on our National Front, and change troop distribution to send more to the Third Front (which should also be our National Front). And we'd like to advance on the second front as well, though capturing Kydessos will take a while.
Okay.
How about we change our distribution to 30/30/40? (Costing us 1 die)

And change our budget from this:
Spitters   5%      National Effort.
Hunters      12%
Soldiers   15%
Workers      68%
To this:
Revencher   5%      National Effort.
Spitter        5%     
Hunters      10%
Soldiers      15%
Workers      65%

And we should leave our existing Spitters on the Third Front, obvs.
Long Live United Forenia!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: September 25, 2017, 08:55:08 am »

That said, I think we're in good shape to take a city.  Strategy-wise, we need to keep knocking out cities before they can develop sufficiently to halt the offensive.  As such I think there's two priorities coming up for the future:

1. Naval Transportation.  We're going to need to be able to pick more targets to keep limiting the development of the league.  As such, we'll need some way of getting across oceans.

2. New Queens/Fixing queens.  I'm having trouble finding the final stats on the new queen, albeit from the writeup I'd recommend modifying it at some point so it can live vicariously through the drones it spawns, preventing boredrom or ennui.  Basically minorly upgrading the telepathy or adding antennae.  That should keep the queens dedicated to the jobs..  although next time we may want to simply go dumber rather than smarter.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 09:11:32 am by Devastator »

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: September 25, 2017, 10:56:41 am »

My offer.

Reinforcements:1st front 15%, 2nd front 30%, 3rd 55%
I am absolutely fine with being pushed back at front 1. I think it is that unimportant. I don't mind more balanced distribution like 20\40\40

Spitter redistribution: 5 to 1st front 15 to 2nd front, 20 3rd front
I think putting all current spitter on Nippi may hurt us long term. Spitters are great for reducing causalities on an any given front and I want to halt their possible advance on 1st front and lose as few troops as possible pushing on the 2nd

Budget changes: Ravancher 0 to 5%(+5%), Spitter 5 to 10%(+5%), soldiers 15% to 10%(-5%) workers 68% to 63%(-5%) Hunters 12% (same)
Soldiers are our oldest and the least upgraded drone and we have too much of them on the fronts. I consider them to be our number one candidate for eventual retirement.
While it sucks to lose some potential TC by making less workers we need
more spitter for a deadlier ranged phase and hunters are too effective to cut their production.

Nat effort: 3rd front
It is a no-brainer

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: September 25, 2017, 11:06:33 am »

Thing about something as unbalanced as 15/30/55 is, it costs dice to rebalance. Sure, you don't care about the First Front now, but what about tomorrow? Then again, we probably won't care about it for a while. Maybe 20/40/40 would be acceptable.
Spitters... I could accept moving a total of 10 away, but if we want to capture Nippi, we'll need that extra firepower.
Your budget changes... seem reasonable.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: September 25, 2017, 11:21:02 am »

I am a little worried that 40% instead of 55% may be just a tiny bit short for capturing Nippy. On other hand we get ravanchers and worker's are better siege units now... To compensate I think we may keep more spitters at front 3

Quote from: votebox

Reinforcement rates:
1st front 20%, 2nd front 40%, 3rd 40% (1) strongpoint

Spitter redistribution:
5 to 1st front 10 to 2nd front, 25 3rd front (1) strongpoint

Budget changes:
Ravancher 0 to 5%(+5%), Spitter 5 to 10%(+5%), soldiers 15% to 10%(-5%) workers 68% to 63%(-5%) Hunters 12% (same) (1) strongpoint

Nat effort:
3rd front (1) strongpoint

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: September 25, 2017, 11:23:59 am »

Reinforcement rates:
1st front 20%, 2nd front 40%, 3rd 40% (2) strongpoint, NUKE9.13

Spitter redistribution:
Stay at 3rd front: (1) NUKE9.13

Budget changes:
Ravancher 0 to 5%(+5%), Spitter 5 to 10%(+5%), soldiers 15% to 10%(-5%) workers 68% to 63%(-5%) Hunters 12% (same) (2) strongpoint, NUKE9.13

Nat effort:
3rd front (2) strongpoint, NUKE9.13

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: September 25, 2017, 02:29:04 pm »

Reinforcement rates:
1st front 20%, 2nd front 40%, 3rd 40% (3) strongpoint, NUKE9.13, Puppyguard

Spitter redistribution:
Stay at 3rd front: (2) NUKE9.13, Puppyguard

Budget changes:
Ravancher 0 to 5%(+5%), Spitter 5 to 10%(+5%), soldiers 15% to 10%(-5%) workers 68% to 63%(-5%) Hunters 12% (same) (3) strongpoint, NUKE9.13, Puppyguard

Nat effort:
3rd front (3) strongpoint, NUKE9.13, Puppyguard

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: September 26, 2017, 07:43:56 am »

Problem with keeping that huge force of spitters on 3rd front is that it may hurt our chances to capture larger city on front 2 later....

Anyway, won't argue because both options are viable. What are our long term goals?

I think we should aim for replacement of our soldiers. They are not bad, but there are a room for improvement. There are four ways to do it:
1) Revise soldiers to better models > I don't think that this is practical
2) Improve workers to the point when they will be better than soldiers both in TC and combat ability > We invested a lot of actions in workers and it is logical to keep improving them further. Giving them weapons, reducing their cost, improving their carapaces are all viable options.
3) Improve ravanchers to the point when they'll stop being nat-effort and become frontline melee unit. > It is a long road but it may be an option
4) Design new melee unit > Totally acceptable course of action if we can be sure that new one will be significantly better than soldiers.

I still think that we have to find uses for timber.

Going further in symbiont tech tree is good, too.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 07:47:49 am by Strongpoint »
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46