Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 46

Author Topic: Hive Race: The Hive  (Read 40236 times)

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hive Race: The Hive
« Reply #345 on: August 18, 2017, 08:02:13 pm »

While your here Iituem what do you think of the feasibility of modifying or telepathy to mess with humans, even if its only on  a basic level for now
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: August 18, 2017, 10:39:45 pm »

This 6 is so sweet, every spitter counts.

Quote from: strategy actions
Free budget change :-7% workers, +2% hunters, +5% warriors. (1) strongpoint
Move to spitters to the 2nd front (1) strongpoint

Enemy may have an influx of hoplites so I want a tiny bit more of warriors to kill those. I definitely want to field test hunters to see how (in)effective they really are.
2nd front looks the most important so nat effort goes there

We definitely should consider a new high TC drone to start replacing workers next turn.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 11:11:17 pm by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 19, 2017, 12:56:06 am »

With all of our economy actions, we are liable to lose in terms of effectiveness. 1.5 effectiveness and 1.5 population is better than 2 in population or effectiveness and 1 in the other.

T.C. increase would be nice. It would mean winning more battles, so we could expand faster, but it would mean more losses than being more combat effective, so would tend to have a short-term gain, long-term loss sort of effect. Which may well be worth it, but given that our main T.C. issues are forts, I would tend towards siege units first.

I also feel that we need decent numbers of Hunters if we want to test them. Testing them when they rolled a 1 on effectiveness is not entirely representative of their potential, but they would need numbers at the level where they could ambush a small squad of spearmen with overwhelming force in the numbers in which they are distributed, much as the league did with confusion magic... I don't really feel that it is fair to send 10.6 hunters against a patrol of 6-20 spearmen. If it is truly for testing purposes, then it should at least be dedicated to a single front. A single squad of 32 hunters on a single front might be able to go hunting for scouting parties or border patrols.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: August 19, 2017, 06:00:22 am »

If my math is right, with 2% we will have roughly 15 on front
one, 9 on the second front and 6 on the the third. It is enough for what I want to see. I want to see their TC, I want to see their attrition rate (if not all of them will die, I'll consider this to be a strong indication of their usefulness), I want to see if they participate in cavalry phase.
I can see doubling that to 4% if there are support for this. I choose small number as a compromise with guys who want no hunters alone

Overall the turn is quite meh. Our gains are +1.5 spitter per turn and marginal buff to warriors + a lot of knowledge usable in future + meh design

I must admit that 10ebbor10 was mostly right about hunters. I overestimated potential usefulness and my design wasn't low roll proof. Any siege or TC unit would be instantly deployable with this kind of rolls.

They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: August 19, 2017, 06:17:12 am »

With 2% we can field 32 hunters and we can also field extra spitter now.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: August 19, 2017, 06:29:06 am »

While your here Iituem what do you think of the feasibility of modifying or telepathy to mess with humans, even if its only on  a basic level for now

Like Saint, I won't comment on the feasibility of designs.  I will sometimes comment on game mechanics, where I think knowledge of them (or more accurately lack thereof) might affect your decision-making process.  But feasibility of designs I won't comment on.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: August 19, 2017, 07:11:55 am »

So, hey, question.

Now that the bug regarding killing troops who aren't there is gone, can we expect the killing effort that was directed towards them to be redirected towards the surviving troops, or does the damage just go to waste?

Free budget change :-7% workers, +2% hunters, +5% warriors. (2) strongpoint, NUKE9.13
Move to spitters to the 2nd front (2) strongpoint, NUKE9.13
Sure. We were this close to completely wiping out the League's army on the second front. In which case their fancy fortress means nothing. Moving the Spitters there is more likely to see us make progress than keeping them on the first front would.
And I don't mind testing a few hunters.
Long Live United Forenia!

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 19, 2017, 07:19:39 am »

Free budget change :-7% workers, +2% hunters, +5% warriors. (3) strongpoint, NUKE9.13, flazeo25
Move to spitters to the 2nd front (3) strongpoint, NUKE9.13, flazeo25

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: August 19, 2017, 07:27:09 am »

So, hey, question.

Now that the bug regarding killing troops who aren't there is gone, can we expect the killing effort that was directed towards them to be redirected towards the surviving troops, or does the damage just go to waste?

Goes to waste.  When a battle happens, damage is totalled for a phase and then spread out across all enemy units according to their proportion on the battlefield, killing a number of them determined by their armour for that round.  If that damage is enough to kill all of them and more, that just means they were really good at killing those guys.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 19, 2017, 08:12:42 am »

Curses!

We need to make a tactic that lets us focus more of our efforts on valuable troops. We can't keep wasting killing power on slaves.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 19, 2017, 08:46:14 am »

One way to do it would be to ensure that all the slaves die before they enter the Melee phase.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: August 19, 2017, 09:00:13 am »

Hmmm. That kind of system makes cheap but resistant combatants a great choice for soaking damage.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 19, 2017, 12:02:29 pm »

If we make our own version of siege weapons, probably with the Boiler Adjustment I suggested earlier, we can kill far more in terms of slave man power on the front we choose.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 19, 2017, 01:09:12 pm »

If we make our own version of siege weapons, probably with the Boiler Adjustment I suggested earlier, we can kill far more in terms of slave man power on the front we choose.
I really doubt we can turn the Spitter into actual siege weaponry.
Also, siege power doesn't kill units, it kills fortifications. Did you mean artillery? We definitely can't turn them into that, not without a complete overhaul. The ranges required are just beyond the reach of a thing spitting stuff. We'd need to create some sort of living catapult if we want to compete in the artillery phase.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 19, 2017, 03:32:43 pm »

We can make a Mortar, using metabolic processes to create the equivalent of a potato cannon inside a theoretical creature to fire a glob of acid far, far away.
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 46