Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 46

Author Topic: Hive Race: The Hive  (Read 40190 times)

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
Re: Hive Race: The Hive
« Reply #300 on: August 18, 2017, 10:08:44 am »

Think we should revise the the hunters to fix some of their faults.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 18, 2017, 10:19:39 am »

The problem is, even if we fix them, what are we going to use them for? What tactical purpose do they serve?

Our current problems are :
1) Besieging stuff
2) Worker attrition
3) Mages getting problematic

Looking at their design, I immediately spot a few flaws :

1) High metabolic rates means their deployment result in a net decrease in TC
2) Lessened armor means that they'll increase losses
3) Their small size means that they're not useful as cavalry. They can't storm through an enemy line
4) Acid weaponry is ineffective at this small scale. I mean, their range is shorter than that of a spear, so they can't even get to the enemy.

While some of these can be fixed with a revision, many of these are fundamental flaws. So the current design would make it harder to take stuff, increases losses, and can't punch through the lines to hit the vulnerable mages within.

Anyway, Iituem, will the reinforcements from the League event come with their own supplies to sustain them, or do they need to be sustained by League resources?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 10:23:18 am by 10ebbor10 »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 18, 2017, 10:38:53 am »

Sustained by League resources.  It's a devil's deal.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 18, 2017, 11:10:49 am »

I amthinking we take just five perent off worker production just to have Hunters, as a test case, but regardless, Revisioning the HUnter

Spiked Tail
 By adding a long, semi-prehensile spike tipped tail at the tail-end of a Hunter, we can neatly solve two problems: Stability, and jumping, while simultaneously adding another weapon.

The Tail will coil up, acting as a giant spring, which can either be used to impale someone or launch the Hunter in a chosen direction. When the Tail is not coiled up, the Hunter can use it to help keep stability and aid in maneuvering. THe spike on the end can also perhaps be used in certain situations when needed.

Spiked Tail-Hunter (1) Blood Librarian
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 18, 2017, 11:14:58 am »

Acid producing symbionts
Many bacteria produce various acids as waste product and do it in a metabolically effective ways. By settling such microorganisms in bodies of drones with acid glands hive reduces metabolic cost of producing acids.

Cost is the worst part of the hunter design. Reducing cost of our spitters can't hurt either.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 11:20:08 am by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Blood_Librarian

• Bay Watcher
  • What is happening?
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 18, 2017, 11:19:25 am »

Later, we can use the  Symbionts to create our own version of farming, probably with Fungwee and co products.

Spiked Tail-Hunter (0)
Acid Symbionts (2) Strongpoint, Blood_Librarian

Edit: Should we use both our obtained dice on the revision round?
if you want something wacky
Quote from: ChiefWaffles, MAR Discord
I continue to be puzzled by BL's attempts to make Aratam blatantly evil

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 18, 2017, 11:21:40 am »

Spiked Tail-Hunter (0)
Acid Symbionts (3) Strongpoint, Blood_Librarian, flazeo25

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 18, 2017, 11:26:29 am »

Revision 1
Spiked Tail-Hunter (0)
Acid Symbionts (3) Strongpoint, Blood_Librarian, flazeo25

Revision 2
No second revision(0)
Spiked Tail-Hunter (0)
Acid Symbionts (0)
I think this voting structure works better
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 18, 2017, 12:17:05 pm »

1) High metabolic rates means their deployment result in a net decrease in TC
You don't think they'll be worth more TC, due to their ability to cover ground faster?

Anyway. Two revisions, one to improve the legs, and the other to improve the armour. More speed/agility and better armour will increase their odds of survival. If I'm right, they should be worth more than Workers in terms of TC. Or at least an equal amount.
Or I totally don't understand what TC represents.
Long Live United Forenia!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 18, 2017, 12:18:57 pm »

Revision 1
Spiked Tail-Hunter (0)
Acid Symbionts (4) Strongpoint, Blood_Librarian, flazeo25, Draignean

Revision 2
No second revision(0)
Spiked Tail-Hunter (0)
Acid Symbionts (0)
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 18, 2017, 12:22:12 pm »

Do note that Designs are the most powerful thing in this game, we should always try to save as much dice as we can afford so we produce two designs in this game. First off designs open new doors to new improvements and also have no "logistics time" so deployment is effectively instant, and their is little need for resource costs and deployment time to hamper us. While yes all implementations require resources that remove the amount that can be utilized, they will always have a effect on the battles as deployment is instantaneous

Also the Hunter design while trying to open new paths for skirmishes, doesn't really do much compared to the Worker drones. The workers are better combatants and also provide skirmishing. Any investment with the hunter drones would provide just sunk investment fallacyTM. I'm thinking we utilize the failed-hunter designs mobility and the spitter-acids ranged ability to create ranged cavalry, and refer them as Roaches.

Revision 1
Spiked Tail-Hunter (0)
Acid Symbionts (4) Strongpoint, Blood_Librarian, flazeo25, Draignean

Revision 2
No Second Revision, Save for Two Designs next turn (1) Shadowclaw
Spiked Tail-Hunter (0)
Acid Symbionts (0)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 12:23:49 pm by Shadowclaw777 »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 18, 2017, 12:28:00 pm »

Maybe. I guess we'd really need three revisions to bring them up to a level where they're useful. In which case, yeah, might as well just do another design.
Alright, well, I'm fine with reducing the cost of Spitters.

Quote from: Votes
Revision 1
Spiked Tail-Hunter (0)
Acid Symbionts (4) Strongpoint, Blood_Librarian, flazeo25, Draignean, NUKE9.13

Revision 2
No Second Revision (2) Shadowclaw, NUKE9.13
Spiked Tail-Hunter (0)
Acid Symbionts (0)
Long Live United Forenia!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 18, 2017, 12:42:16 pm »

I strongly disagree that designs are the most effective way to spend rolls. Simple example: Larvae mitosis revision gave us +6% reinforcement rate with no side effects on an okish roll. Ruminant Digestive System gave us +10% reinforcement rate, +10% to manpower cap and -2% to overall effectiveness and that with experience of prior failed design. It is not 3 times better.

Warrior-Hunter coordination
Hunter drone failed to meet expectations in many ways but instead of scrapping the concept or investing resources to upgrade it hive developed a combined arms tactic strengthened by special warrior-hunters telepathic link. Most of the time hunters hide under massive bodies of warrior drones mostly safe from arrows and other weapons. When melee starts they act as additional warrior's weapon and guard their sides and rear. Only when enemy tries to retreat from warriors hunters use their speed to chase fleeing enemies. On fronts with no warriors hunters are still used in their original role of cavalry or skirmisher.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 01:09:08 pm by Strongpoint »

MonkeyMarkMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 18, 2017, 12:57:05 pm »

Quote from: Votes
Revision 1
Spiked Tail-Hunter (0)
Acid Symbionts (5) Strongpoint, Blood_Librarian, flazeo25, Draignean, NUKE9.13, MonkeyMarkMario

Revision 2
No Second Revision (2) Shadowclaw, NUKE9.13
Spiked Tail-Hunter (0)
Acid Symbionts (0)
My Forum game(s):
Hahaha, ya right

Any future games will be simpler in nature, I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew. Also hoping for more players in them.

I have Discord for my games now(not necessary to play, tho might be easier to contact me): https://discord.gg/DuaARAZ

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 18, 2017, 01:02:39 pm »

Hey, I've just been lurking both threads but... I was reading the report on the third front, and league numbers... Don't quite make sense...

It seems like they lost more slaves than they ever had. Actually, that goes for several units.
It kinda looks like it may be adding skirmish deaths back to the total number of units?
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 46