Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 46

Author Topic: Hive Race: The Hive  (Read 40250 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Hive Race: The Hive
« Reply #135 on: August 13, 2017, 09:15:43 am »

Anyway, on 50/30/20

We get

10 Spitters
45 soldiers
780 workers

going to the first front. Combine with

48 soldiers
392 workers

that nets us :

10 spitters
92 soldiers
1,172 workers

Going up against:

29 skirmishers
16 bowmen
25 hoplites
11 cavalry
1 ballistae
1 apprentices
0 mages
297 spearmen
3,584 slaves
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 09:17:29 am by 10ebbor10 »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2017, 09:32:06 am »

E: Incidentally, since Iituem has declined to comment on the discrepancy between our troop numbers and our TC on the Western Front, I surmise that is is not in fact a mistake, but that he cannot reveal why the values are different.
I think my theory of secret TC-reduction magic might be correct. I mean, we haven't seen any other magic from them.

Nope, that was a reporting bug!  Your numbers were short, but so were the League's - you still lost the front last turn.  Corrected for the coming turn.

Note:  The spitters from the 2nd Front will travel to the 1st Front.  National Efforts are always deployed together in the same location.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 13, 2017, 09:35:25 am »

That changes things.

Means we get 28 Spitters, even so. I'm still not certain that what we'll have will be enough.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 09:36:58 am by 10ebbor10 »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 13, 2017, 09:56:10 am »

E: Incidentally, since Iituem has declined to comment on the discrepancy between our troop numbers and our TC on the Western Front, I surmise that is is not in fact a mistake, but that he cannot reveal why the values are different.
I think my theory of secret TC-reduction magic might be correct. I mean, we haven't seen any other magic from them.

Nope, that was a reporting bug!  Your numbers were short, but so were the League's - you still lost the front last turn.  Corrected for the coming turn.
Ah, okay.

I think that between the increased numbers, the Spitters, and the fortifications (not to mention the new skirmish damage), we should win on the first front this turn. Certainly we won't lose.
And we will almost certainly deal more damage than they receive in reinforcements. We almost did last turn, and the Spitters alone will probably kill ~1000. So even if we don't win this turn, we will eventually.
Long Live United Forenia!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2017, 11:37:35 am »

Quote from: Votes
Rebalancing Fronts:
-50/30/20: (3) 10ebbor10, NUKE9.13, Strongpoint

National Focus:
-Front One: (3) 10ebbor10, NUKE9.13, Strongpoint

IR eye-spots:
-All Workers: (2) 10ebbor10, Strongpoint

Fine fore me. I am little worried that we may lose momentum on the third front but the first front is the most important.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 13, 2017, 12:18:50 pm »

Idea for the next design

Pack of foragers
Forager is a cat-sized light drone. One egg spawns a pack of 8 that has a stronger than usual telepathic link between themselves. They are six legged creatures with very light carapaces. They are nimble, good climbers, decent jumpers, capable to move silently and have decent night vision. While pack of them can deal with a human or large animal, their main role is gathering food resources that are unworthy prey for larger members of the hive: rodents, arthropods, small birds and fishes. Additionally they guard food stockpiles against pests preventing unnecessary loses. They posses ability to vomit gathered food for large drones to consume.
While quite squashy they are from useless on the battlefield because they are hard to spot and hit and once they latch on human body they are very hard to shake off. Naturally, they are good in scouting, ambushing and infiltrating.

They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 13, 2017, 01:56:42 pm »

Rebalancing Fronts:
-50/30/20: (4) 10ebbor10, NUKE9.13, Strongpoint, Puppyguard

National Focus:
-Front One: (4) 10ebbor10, NUKE9.13, Strongpoint, Puppyguard

IR eye-spots:

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 13, 2017, 02:56:59 pm »

Fine fore me. I am little worried that we may lose momentum on the third front but the first front is the most important.

Their third front lies in tatters. Unless they refocus upon it, we should be fine.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 13, 2017, 03:01:32 pm »

I'm not sure they *can* redistribute their troops from one front to another. Their cities are each only connected to a single front. Possibly the naval reinforcements can be redirected, but that shouldn't be the majority of their troops.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 13, 2017, 03:04:02 pm »

They can connect the first and third front. Unoccupied territory does not impede movement.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 13, 2017, 03:33:42 pm »

Idea for the next design
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It seems to me that the hive operates on a "component" system. It was noted for having few troop types so I suspect that completely new forces might be difficult. If it is a design per component, then I count 5 components. Otherwise, it sounds like a decent idea, and I could certainly be wrong.

As worried as I am about front one, I think that we need to maintain a focus on breaking out, and we have a fortress to contend with. The spitters seem very effective in open combat, so moving them is a regrettable necessity, but letting front two wither seems unwise. Also note that we will need to rebalance again at some point to account for front 3's weakness, but perhaps we can just move the spitters to deal with that...
Rebalancing Fronts:
- 40/40/20: (1) RAM
- save the die: (0)

National Focus:
-Front One: (5) 10ebbor10, NUKE9.13, Strongpoint, Puppyguard, RAM

IR eye-spots:
- 20% of workers: (1) RAM
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 14, 2017, 06:32:11 am »

On a side note; good news everyone.

Where numbers are divided like so: 200/1000 ore, these numbers represent Resources in Use / Resource Capacity, or the total amount you produce full stop.  Units cost resources to maintain, so the DSG above can only spend 800 ore, 540 timber and 700 training next turn.

Manpower works slightly differently; Generica is currently supporting 8000 manpower's worth of troops.  This turn it received 500 manpower (and expects to do so again), so next turn that will read 8500/10,000 unless it loses troops to battle.

As far as I understand it; this means the League can spend all it's Training in one turn as long as it has the manpower to train people. This means that we've already seen the maximum extent of their trained forces.

Where we can train more elites until l we hit the popcap, they can only add more slaves.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 14, 2017, 07:43:08 am »

Hmm. That is good news, if it is accurate.
Of course, they can always increase their training production. In fact, didn't it mention them doing so this turn?

I'm not sure which rebalancing strategy is better. For now, let's just go with 50/30/20, and see how that works out. I'm hoping it'll still be enough for us to overrun both the forts we are besieging... if not, it should at least be enough to deal more damage than they receive in reinforcements, leading to our eventual victory.
Also, once we've driven the League's forces away from Menotos, I'm going to suggest the Battering Beetle again- gotta get that siege.

Rebalancing Fronts:
- 40/40/20: (1) RAM
- save the die: (0)

National Focus:
-Front One: (5) 10ebbor10, NUKE9.13, Strongpoint, Puppyguard, RAM

IR eye-spots:
-All Workers: (3) 10ebbor10, Strongpoint, NUKE9.13
- 20% of workers: (1) RAM

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 14, 2017, 07:50:24 am »

Oh sure, they can. But it means they have to spend dice to do it.

As for front 2.

An empty fort defended by a single slave requires 750 TC to break through, we have 660 TC and we're adding 634 TC extra. It's all going to depend on how good our skirmishers are going to be. If we take the same losses as last time; we won't get through.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 07:53:22 am by 10ebbor10 »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 14, 2017, 08:41:06 am »

An empty fort defended by a single slave requires 750 TC to break through, we have 660 TC and we're adding 634 TC extra. It's all going to depend on how good our skirmishers are going to be. If we take the same losses as last time; we won't get through.
Uh, what? A fort adds a flat 500 TC, and multiplies the TC of defenders by 1.2; not sure where you're getting 750 from.

But yeah, I guess we're going to be hard pressed to capture southern Menotos this turn. Especially since we're moving the Spitters away. Our odds in the east are better, though. Provided they don't drastically rebalance things.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 46