Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 46

Author Topic: Hive Race: The Hive  (Read 40205 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hive Race: The Hive
« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2017, 05:29:45 pm »

True.  In future, if it's a possibility, put in a vote for Delay End of Phase and unless there's strong votes against it I'll delay ending the phase.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2017, 05:45:19 pm »

Quote from: Votes
Revision 1:
Infra-Red Cell Clusters: (5) NUKE9.13, Shadowclaw, Puppyguard, FallacyofUrist, Crazy
Revision 2:
Larval Mitosis: (4) Shadowclaw, Puppyguard, FallacyofUrist, Crazy
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 11, 2017, 06:53:17 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cattle mutilation
Clearly we are just using the wrong acids, or something. Go out there and find something that can eat plants and copy its acids to get our X.E.D.S. working!

Enzyme Support
Introduce enzymes to act as catalysts for the acids in our X.E.D.S. project to reduce the intensity and quantity of acid required and thus lower costs.

Tight Genes
Those clawed workers just didn't work. It seems that the claws were inserted into a particularly unstable piece of biology. Tighten up the code a bit to improve the reliability.

Leg Springs
We adjust our legs to conserve more energy as they release to have more energy when they push. Unlikely to help steering and initial acceleration at all, but ideally it would increase top speed and marching stamina a bit.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 11, 2017, 07:58:14 pm »

Would 10ebbor10's suggestion have the same result as NUKE9.13's? If so I'll vote for Infra-Red Cell Clusters because it already has a lot of support but I think secondary eyes are a better way of going about it.
Revision 1:
Infra-Red Cell Clusters: (6) NUKE9.13, Shadowclaw, Puppyguard, FallacyofUrist, Crazy, kopout
Revision 2:
I  don't think Larval Mitosis will actually help, our limiting factor in manpower is food as far as I can tell. RAM's suggestions meanwhile seem more like something to do after we aren't being besieged at our only hive.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 12, 2017, 01:57:56 am »

Revision 1:
Infra-Red Cell Clusters: (6) NUKE9.13, Shadowclaw, Puppyguard, FallacyofUrist, Crazy, kopout
Revision 2:
None: (2) NUKE9.13, kopout

I'll edit my IR suggestion to mention the possibility of separating the IR cells into an entirely separate eye.

I'm again going to argue against Larval Mitosis. It is overambitious for a revision- we have no tech like it, it involves changing something we have no experience with- and it doesn't actually increase our maximum manpower, since all them babies still gotta eat.

Cattle mutilation
Clearly we are just using the wrong acids, or something. Go out there and find something that can eat plants and copy its acids to get our X.E.D.S. working!

Enzyme Support
Introduce enzymes to act as catalysts for the acids in our X.E.D.S. project to reduce the intensity and quantity of acid required and thus lower costs.

Tight Genes
Those clawed workers just didn't work. It seems that the claws were inserted into a particularly unstable piece of biology. Tighten up the code a bit to improve the reliability.

Leg Springs
We adjust our legs to conserve more energy as they release to have more energy when they push. Unlikely to help steering and initial acceleration at all, but ideally it would increase top speed and marching stamina a bit.

Hmm, hmm. These all seem fine. We don't have four dice to spend, obviously, only two (we need to save the third for the Strategy phase).
I might vote for it if you reword the enzyme one in such a manner that it suggests we might also lower the cost of our Spitter's acid? I mean, acid is acid, right? (wrong)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 02:04:36 am by NUKE9.13 »
Long Live United Forenia!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 12, 2017, 02:08:51 am »

I am unclear on the current voting scheme?
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 12, 2017, 02:17:04 am »

Oh. Right. You want every single suggestion in the votebox at all times.
How about a compromise, alright? Put the suggestions that aren't being voted for in a spoiler in the votebox; that way they don't clutter the thing up, but people can still see what they are if they want.

As for the format, I think the current one is fine. Unless a situation arises where it becomes a problem, don't fix what ain't broke.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 12, 2017, 02:40:17 am »

I'm again going to argue against Larval Mitosis. It is overambitious for a revision- we have no tech like it, it involves changing something we have no experience with- and it doesn't actually increase our maximum manpower, since all them babies still gotta eat.

The tech does not improve max manpower, because it isn't supposed to increase max manpower. It's supposed to increase reinforcement rates, which are not at all limited by available food. After all, our available food supplies are good 7200 manpower worth of troops, and we're nowhere near that number.

It's also not too ambitious. It's a single revision that changes a single thing, namely the cost of our workers.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 12, 2017, 03:17:55 am »

Right, okay. Increasing reinforcement rates is fine. Still not sure it's worth a revision, but it'd work, at least.

It's also not too ambitious. It's a single revision that changes a single thing, namely the cost of our workers.
Well, hang on, is this about Worker cost or reinforcement rate? Because this won't reduce the cost of workers. We'd still need to feed them the same amount, and that's what manpower cost represents.
If you want to lower unit costs, you'd be better off going with one of RAM's revisions that work towards fixing XEDS.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 12, 2017, 03:46:47 am »

I might vote for it if you reword the enzyme one in such a manner that it suggests we might also lower the cost of our Spitter's acid? I mean, acid is acid, right? (wrong)
Well shucks, I don't know about acid, but enzymes are definitely enzymes! If an enzyme can make a cell-wall vulnerable to acid, then a cell membrane should be piece of cake!(I suspect that cake contains more cell walls than cell membranes, typically flour would be the main ingredient, right? So, like, actually the opposite...) We'll just load it up and... ugh, sorry, I can't do this. Feel free to make your own version though!

So, the voting system is that we vote what to do with each individual die? With an option for yes or no for each proposal? Should we nominate a die upon which to place the proposal when proposing?
Read the First Post!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 12, 2017, 04:19:46 am »

Right, okay. Increasing reinforcement rates is fine. Still not sure it's worth a revision, but it'd work, at least.

Well, hang on, is this about Worker cost or reinforcement rate? Because this won't reduce the cost of workers. We'd still need to feed them the same amount, and that's what manpower cost represents.
If you want to lower unit costs, you'd be better off going with one of RAM's revisions that work towards fixing XEDS.

Fixing XEDS is not a short term project.

This thing is supposed to supply additional workers in the short term, so yeah, reinforcements rates.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 12, 2017, 07:12:58 am »

So, the voting system is that we vote what to do with each individual die?
Yes, each individual die.
With an option for yes or no for each proposal?
Well, an option for each potential option, and an option for none.
Should we nominate a die upon which to place the proposal when proposing?
Sure. If you want. And if people would rather place it under a different die, we can work that out when it comes up.
Basically, the system is we wing it, and worry about fixing it when it breaks. If you want to vote in a way that doesn't work in the current system, feel free to modify it. Otherwise, leave it simple.

Fixing XEDS is not a short term project.
Right, which is why I said work towards, not finish. Making some progress with a revision will make it easier to complete later, and might yield some short-term benefits as well (like cheaper Spitters, maybe)

This thing is supposed to supply additional workers in the short term, so yeah, reinforcements rates.
Alright.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 12, 2017, 07:33:51 am »

Oh, another random idea.

We could try giving the clawed worker idea another go. A drone which can climb would be very good in ambushes.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 12, 2017, 11:32:06 am »

I am in favour for spring legs for die3 as the jumps could be easily used to dismiss enemy formations

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 12, 2017, 11:53:08 am »

We need die 3 for the strategy phase.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 46