Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 30

Author Topic: Hive Race: The League  (Read 25672 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Hive Race: The League
« Reply #195 on: August 16, 2017, 08:20:32 am »

Quote from: Votes
Routine Testing: (1) Tack
Levy:
Personal Visits: (1) Tack
Save one:
For now, may as well bring up the box.
I don't have a very large amount of faith in us getting that dice, and basically we still need to fix a bundle of endemic issues with our society.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 16, 2017, 09:29:52 am »

I'd try this:
Phalangites
A new unit, using 20-foot pikes instead of spears. They are given a new form of wicker or cloth armor, easily removed in case of acid damage, and a simple bronze-faced wooden shield. This allows for them to work in a phalanx-a rectangle of men, where the first four ranks level their pikes, and the remainder keep theirs raised at angles, to block some incoming projectiles. Their smallish shields are strapped to the left arm only, and thus do not interfere with movement while handling the two-handed pike.

It'll probably function better than the levy on account of a slight additional cost for cloth/wicker armor and bronze-faced shields, but they'll perform a lot better than the Levy, which is---and this is not an insult, it's just accurate and fun to say---a bunch of spearmen with a large side of extra terrible.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 16, 2017, 09:38:14 am »

Again, phalangites will be cutting into our spearman budget.
Our issue isn't the hundred spearman, it's the Thousand slaves.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 16, 2017, 10:08:19 am »

They would actually be their own budget item, at least for a time. I'd actually include a second revision/budget change, I just had to run before writing it down.

Slaves to Soldiers
Slaves are a traditional unit in warfare, however slaves that flee are useless in battle. Accordingly, we put all the slaves through the Phalangite program. Volunteers are given their freedom in exchange for four years' service as a phalangite. Those who do not volunteer reduce the costs required to outfit them by producing the weapons and armor for all our Phalangites.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 16, 2017, 10:34:03 am »

Iituem, could we hammer out Marian reforms in a single design?

The simple truth is, every bit of ground needing recapturing is another bit of land requiring colonization, and every refugee is another soldier.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 16, 2017, 10:45:02 am »

Iituem, could we hammer out Marian reforms in a single design?

The simple truth is, every bit of ground needing recapturing is another bit of land requiring colonization, and every refugee is another soldier.

Full on Marian Reforms?  Because those were pretty extensive.  You could get something like your Phalangites or Pike Levies out in a design, maybe.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 16, 2017, 12:06:09 pm »

A question:
Say next turn we devise a new spell. Do we then have to train apprentices with that spell(thus making seperate apprentice units)? If there are apprentices without all their spell slots used, can they be (quickly) taught the new spell?
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: August 16, 2017, 12:14:43 pm »

Apprentices will automatically learn any new Lesser spell to fill their empty spell slot.  If you end up with more spells available than spell slots, you can use a (probably free) Strategy action to swap them out.  Splitting your apprentices into multiple castes to have different spell repertoires each would probably be a Revision, though  (for instance, Alpha Apprentices casting Daze, Magic Weapons and Magic Missile, while Beta Apprentices cast Daze, Burning Hands and Shield).
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 16, 2017, 03:27:59 pm »

Routine Testing: (2) Tack, Nirur
Levy:
Personal Visits: (2) Tack, Nirur
Save one:

I now expect 5.23% budget to get us 3x apprentices, or 13.23% to get us 3x mages. Spending 5% on a mage might be worth it - He will probably go to front 1, and we'll get to see what the web spell does. Of course, that's if we want to ignore our magic advisor.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 16, 2017, 03:38:51 pm »

Routine Testing: (2) Tack, Nirur, Stabby
Levy:
Personal Visits: (2) Tack, Nirur, Stabby
Save one:

I now expect 5.23% budget to get us 3x apprentices, or 13.23% to get us 3x mages. Spending 5% on a mage might be worth it - He will probably go to front 1, and we'll get to see what the web spell does. Of course, that's if we want to ignore our magic advisor.
I would rather have the apprentices, a Single mage probably won't to much overall.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: August 16, 2017, 03:45:50 pm »

We can easily get 3x ballistas and 3x apprentices and either 1x mage or another 3x apprentices. The mage would help if we're trying to fight for front 1.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: August 16, 2017, 08:15:50 pm »

Routine Testing: (3) Tack, Nirur, Stabby
Levy: (1) Jilladilla
Personal Visits: (4) Tack, Nirur, Stabby, Jilladilla
Save one:
We'll need to actually bulk up our forces on the first front to get that die, or at least make the Hive work for it.
I will be advocating for and increased apprentice budget, maybe even cutting out some of our spearmen funding for it. But we need to give our slaves some teeth, the Hive's numbers are growing faster than we can kill them after all...

(EDIT: Added links)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 08:19:25 pm by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 16, 2017, 08:40:06 pm »

Revision: Personal Visits  [Bugs: 1+2]

We forced our unit commanders to review their troops before being fit to go into battle, even subjecting them to 'final exams' to ensure their readiness.  While most unit commaners mostly don't care about this, after the first few die to the incompetence of their own men the rest start to get the message and carry their wrath backwards to the training camps.  Bribes become less welcome, difficulties start arising for the trainers and pretty soon they are being held to at least a basic degree of competency - or else the commanders start taking things personally.  Alarmingly personally.

Corruption hasn't been completely eradicated, but its ugly head has been driven solidly into the sand through sheer, repetitive effort.  At least by the standards of the commanders in the field - it will do for now.

It is now the Strategy Phase.  You have 1 die remaining.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 16, 2017, 08:42:34 pm »

....Iituem? No one voted to save a die, I think we were all working off the assumption that the top 2 votes would be used.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 16, 2017, 08:43:33 pm »

Ah, you're burning both dice this phase?  Give me a minute and I'll work on the next one, then.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 30