Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 30

Author Topic: Hive Race: The League  (Read 25668 times)

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
Re: Hive Race: The League
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2017, 05:42:43 pm »

If we go for a dedicated transport, we could just use the free 10% budget shift to change from Biremes to that. It's not like the bugs can swim right now, and they have bigger issues for the moment anyway, so our need for a naval combatant is non-existent for the immediate future.

That said, a die to re-allocate how our boats are being distributed to our fleets would likely be necessary, the first fleet doesn't need much due to only having one city reinforcing by sea, but the 2nd and 3rd very much does need the extra capacity, however.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2017, 06:02:28 pm »

My thoughts with keeping the budget in biremes is that we have so much manpower sitting around that the extra budget is wasted on most of our fronts.

If my math is right, a bireme costs 38 MP/turn to maintain, and building a new one costs 41. I don't think my math is right. (Data is: 307 for 6+1, then 345 of 7+1).

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2017, 06:33:34 pm »

Biremes should cost 20MP to build and 20MP to maintain.  Manpower is 'soaked up' by active units, it only runs out when you hit the absolute cap.  Which for the League is fairly ridiculously high because you start in an amazing territorial position on purpose.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2017, 01:45:45 am »

Quote from: votes
Magic School: (1) Nirur Torir
Pike Levy: (1) Tack

That or longbows, I think.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2017, 01:47:40 am »

In the interests of progressing things: I believe Nirur is correct, and we should either make mages easier to train, expand schooling, or devise better transports. While we are still fielding a large number of slave troops, we are also limited in terms of our transportation. We must make efforts to put every available body on the main continent of fighting, as soon as possible.

As such:
Quote from: Votes
Dedicated Transport(1): Terenos
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2017, 03:03:14 am »

Dedicated Transport(2): Terenos, Jilladilla

It's the biggest thing stopping much needed reinforcements to the third and second fronts. While I'd like to vote for an idea with an actual write-up instead of just a generic 'Dedicated Transport', I know nothing of super early tech boats...

Glory to United Forenia!

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2017, 06:15:25 am »

Dedicated Transport(3): Terenos, Jilladilla, Stabby

How about a Tririme or Quadreme for the transport?
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2017, 09:50:55 am »

Multi-decked ships were basically used exclusively for war, because every rowing bench is taking up space needed for more cargo, and expecting soldiers to row would weaken them ahead of time.
I'd suggest a pentekonter (jack-of-all trades single bank oars), or longship-type design.

Dedicated Transport(4): Terenos, Jilladilla, Stabby, Tack

I guess this is the asymmetry coming into play- they're going to bring out a new troop type and we're spent dealing with infrastructure.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2017, 03:30:12 pm »

Design: Pentekonter  [Effectiveness: 6] [Expense: 3] [Bugs: 5]

This single-deck galley sacrifices speed and military readiness for sheer space.  A wider galley-ship than the classical bireme, it is more reliant on sail than oar and loses manoeuverability.  What it gains, however, is a 40% increase in passenger capacity for a much lesser increase in cost in terms of timber and manpower.  There isn't much more to say on the matter; apart from some mild envy on the part of the crews (who wish they were on warships) everything runs pretty smoothly.

Pentekonter      Cost: 23 manpower, 10 training, 55 timber.  Passenger Capacity: 72 manpower.  Dedicated cargo ship; better transport capacity than the standard bireme, but suffers in battle.

It is now the Revision Phase.  You have 2 dice remaining.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2017, 03:33:13 pm »

That looks pretty good. Was there anything we wanted to revise? Cannot remember.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2017, 03:33:57 pm »

The corruption in the training camps? Pretty sure that's something we have to root out :P
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2017, 03:34:56 pm »

Wow... That went really, really well. So! Two dice, how are we going to spend them?

Save both die for the strategy phase or spend one now to try again to uncorrupt our camps?

Glory to United Forenia!

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2017, 03:39:19 pm »

Ah yes the corruption. We do need to fix that. We can afford a little bit of problems in strategy but not the corruption. Once it sets in in one place it will creep into others like the cancer it is.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2017, 03:57:52 pm »

Right, creative juices are flowing! Here's a write-up for take 2 on rooting out corruption!

Oversight Committee
It is obvious that simply trying to enforce simple punishments isn't enough to root out corruption in the training camps.
As a result, each camp shall be observed directly by a committee of carefully chosen individuals, who will have authority to investigate claims of training neglect, and in the event those claims are found to be true; that the sub-par soldiers are found to be as such due to simple abandonment of their supposed instructor, punish those corrupt instructors with anything ranging from simple fines and prison time, to outright execution for repeat or particularly severe offenders.

It is expected that the combination of direct oversight, and severe punishments, should at the very least encourage the individuals whom made such measures necessary to at least ensure adequate training for all of their charges, instead of merely just those they favor.

So! Criticize, suggest updates, use it for the skeleton of your own better proposal or what have you.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 09:23:11 am by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2017, 04:06:49 pm »

If we really wanted, we could cut down that training time, then build them at 30% or 40% for a few turns. Let's see how long until we can fully use our MP.

300 TC was enough for Epidaea to send 503 manpower in turn 1. Front 3 received 690 manpower, 489 of which was from Nippi, leaving ... 201 from transports?

Um.

Alternatively, the three front 1 cities sent 1725 MP, which resulted in 1737 worth of MP reinforcements.

Iituem, I don't think your numbers are all right.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 30