Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 30

Author Topic: Hive Race: The League  (Read 25657 times)

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Hive Race: The League
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2017, 09:39:04 am »

How do we deal with the acid?

We could try large but thin and lightweight shields, designed to catch the acid then be thrown away.
Edit: Or a thick acid resistant cloak for the same purpose.

We could try some sort of caustic coating on armour or shields (Don't get on skin!) that partially neutralizes the acid. Lye maybe?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 09:53:17 am by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2017, 09:54:15 am »

Or magical amulets of resist acid. Remember we do have mages even if there aren't many.
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2017, 09:56:57 am »

We could just invoke a tactic to have longbows target those huge eyes.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2017, 09:58:24 am »

Magic is boring.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2017, 10:25:41 am »

Can we change our budget so we'll add at least 1 ballista and apprentice per turn to each front, without otherwise changing the troop ratios?
Can we add conditionals (Hire 1 mage if none exist on that front)?

We should probably spend a die re-arranging the fleet, since we have unused transports on front 1.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2017, 11:34:29 am »

Can we change our budget so we'll add at least 1 ballista and apprentice per turn to each front, without otherwise changing the troop ratios?
Can we add conditionals (Hire 1 mage if none exist on that front)?

We should probably spend a die re-arranging the fleet, since we have unused transports on front 1.

There's a bit of precedent for that in the code with the National Efforts.  I can give it a shot, but that's definitely a Budget action.

Not really seeing any coherent proposals yet here, by the by.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2017, 11:52:31 am »

I'll come up with something.

The first, improving our bronze, or investigating new metals such as iron for their use as weapons and armor. This will likely cost more ore for our troops, and infrastructure deployment, maybe even colonizing new areas. It likely just makes our troops better, overall.

The second proposal, is taking what we know of enchanting weapons, and applying the same principles to armor. Primarily to combat their new acid-spitting troops, this should add survivability to our forces. In addition, we might be able to further modify it to enable deployable wards to grant cover or defense for attack or defense purposes.

We could also try to develop some form of longbow. I'm not sure if we can, but it may be possible. Bonus there is it may outrange their spitters, giving us yet more chip damage before the brutal melee.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2017, 12:11:05 pm »

Iron would likely reduce the ore costs for our troops; it does happen to be worse than bronze qualitatively, but we can outfit far more men in iron gear because it's a lot cheaper to produce.

As for bows, we'd probably need more wood and archers for composite bows to be truly effective. Capitalising on our ranged advantage is a good idea however.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2017, 12:23:29 pm »

I think a better spell for countering acid spitters would be a rebound shield, to fling them back at the enemy. That said, I don't want to invent a spell or get iron yet. We currently have 6 spell casts per battle spread over 2 fronts. Inventing a spell now would have little effect and give them time to counter it.

Improving our bronze quality could work, but I'd rather get more apprentices for the weapon buff. We could try designing armed slaves with no training, to throw extra weapons into the field.

I really want more training/education tech. I'd prefer a magic school since that should make magic research and enchanting easier, get us more mages for weapon buffs, and give us XP towards a general education system, but improving our overall education system this turn would be nice too. We need more training points so we can fill the lines with actual troops.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2017, 01:08:20 pm »

Hey! My proposal was coherent, if not a specific counter to spitters.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2017, 02:23:55 pm »

We have shortbows, not longbows.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2017, 03:40:05 pm »

My proposal was pikes.
Longbows was more of a spitball.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2017, 04:04:53 pm »

So! Mage schools, better equipment, maybe a better equipped slave force (They're... Just meatshields at the moment right? I'm not saying give them good stuff, just a shoddy spear and a basic wooden shield, and absolutely minimal training (enough so they don't stab themselves)), or maybe something else?

(Reason I'm not suggesting spells is simple: We only have two apprentices on the field at the moment... As such the result of new spells would be limited...)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2017, 04:20:46 pm »

Note that you can increase the number of apprentices you field (or any troop) by resetting the budget in the Strategy Phase.  You have 10% of 'free' budget change you can do per turn without spending a die.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2017, 05:14:22 pm »

My proposal for the turn is to design a mage guild, revise a bireme transport, build the magic school, and then shift mage and spearmen budget to apprentices (Until we have 1 each front) and bireme transports (or just biremes if the transports fails). I hate to let the corruption issue sink in, but I really want more magic weapon casts before they develop an even hardier bug, and think fixing our education system is our best starting path.

Magic School: Our magical knowledge is embryonic, as are our personnel able to teach magic are limited. By centralizing our magical recruit training, we can concentrate our best teachers and much more easily determine which training methods work. Once training is complete, they will be dispersed to the appropriate fronts.

Quote from: Votes
Magic School:

Edit: Alternatively, design a dedicated transport and reserve a budget re-allocation die for it. If we can win on front 1 due to heavy reinforcements with just our current tech, it might be worth putting off the education. Things are going to get much harder once they take a city.

Edit 2: Or we could be cheeky, 2x revise the training camp cheaper and less corrupt, and build 3-4 training camps on the mainland. I expect that will get us more education xp, and +400 spearmen worth of training is fun.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 05:36:50 pm by Nirur Torir »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 30