Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 30

Author Topic: Hive Race: The League  (Read 25648 times)

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
Re: Hive Race: The League
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2017, 05:36:34 pm »

Alright then! I'll conjure the Votebox then. I'll add you two to Training Camp in Dorytos, as that is what you said you wanted to do.

Quote from: Votes
(3) Build Training Camp in Dorytos: Jilladilla, Happerry, Nirur Torir
(0) Build Training Camp elsewhere (specify)
(0) Do something else
(0) Save the die for next turn

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2017, 05:43:44 pm »

Quote from: Votes
(4) Build Training Camp in Dorytos: Jilladilla, Happerry, Nirur Torir, Stabby
(0) Build Training Camp elsewhere (specify)
(0) Do something else
(0) Save the die for next turn
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2017, 01:34:15 pm »

Strategy: Build Major Training Camp in Dorytos  [4]

With contributions from all of the League states, you establish the first major Military Training Camp in Dorytos, further securing its position as one of the foremost cities of the League and a contender for possible capital should the League ever unify into a more coherent nation-state.  Drawing upon skilled trainers, veterans and elites from across the Hadean Archipelago, the Dorytos Camp proves to be a swelling success and promises to output the equivalent of 100 extra spearmen per year in trained troops.  This represents a significant increase in our training capacity, but the problems inherent with the minor camps have only become entrenched here in the major camp.  Favouritism, power grabs and punishments continue to underlie our recruits' training schedules, and while this is still a significant net positive for us, this corruption is now endemic to our military.  While the better trained members of our forces are less likely to feel these effects, the brunt of them will fall upon the everyday militiaman.

Note that this is a flat bonus to Dorytos' training production and will not increase with Dorytos' size as its standard training production does.

Turn incoming.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2017, 02:00:23 pm »

That's... adequate.
Corruption seems to be the new state of our government.
Let's lean into it.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2017, 02:09:23 pm »

That's... adequate.
Corruption seems to be the new state of our government.
Let's lean into it.

Nonsense! Our next step is obvious: we must create an oversight comity to root out this foul corruption!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 02:16:59 pm by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2017, 02:15:31 pm »

We can frame them as bug worshippers for why else would they deliberately weaken our glorious nation?
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2017, 02:16:41 pm »

We should find the most manipulative and corrupt and hire them.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2017, 11:51:46 pm »

Year 301

Both sides unveiled their forces in the first major series of engagements since the fall of Menotos.  The League, for its part, brought little in the way of apparent innovation, trusting to their tried and true forces; yet the distinctly noticeable increase in trained troops over their reliance on massed slave armies has not gone unobserved.  The Hive, for their part, have finally revealed the Queen's elite troops, what look almost like huge distended beetles with tiny legs, fly-like massive compound eyes and probosces that, as it turns out, spit gobbets of phlegm as far as a shortbow's range, albeit without anything like the accuracy.

The 1st Front, the most heavily reinforced on the part of the League, sees the League's traditional army at their best.  Facing an entirely melee-oriented force of worker drones and their larger soldier cousins, the League blast away their lines with ballista bolts and volleys of arrows, thin out their flanks with cavalry charges and pepper them with javelins before closing in with ranks of spearmen to mop up the shattered ranks of drones.  Only half a dozen soldier drones were brought down, but despite their brutal efficiency in murder the behemoths cannot effectively hold ground without support.  This is enough to push the 1st Front back from the outskirts of Menotos and up to the city walls.

The 1st Front is now besieging Menotos, a 3rd level Fortification.  Menotos is now Contested.

On the 2nd Front, both sides have deployed their elites; the League sent the deadly Aphrokemae, hero-champions worth a dozen men each, whilst the Hive birthed their 'spitters', almost a sort of mobile turret.  It is on this front that the Hive proved the worth of their spitter champions; although their aim is nothing to speak of, it proves unneeded; their gobbets of phlegm explode upon contact with the ground, spraying acid in a radius around them that can lay low dozens of men at a time.  The League's more elite soldiers are able to evade or withstand the sprays of acid, but it is the rank and file troops, especially the weak and undisciplined slave soldiers, who either find themselves being eaten away because of their lack of armour or desert at the sight of their comrades falling.   Enough of the ranks are destroyed that by the time the drones close in to melee, even their depleted forces from skirmishing are enough to overcome the remainder.  The 2nd front is pushed back towards Southern Menotos and the stone-walled hill fort of Dromon.

The 2nd Front is now besieging Dromio, a 2nd level Fortification in Souther Menotos.  Southern Menotos is now Contested.

The 3rd Front is engaged in traditional fashion, but simple numbers make the difference; too few troops are reinforced there by the League and the Hive simply swarm them with numbers, pushing them back to the palisades of Fort Antipholus, a simple wooden camp on a natural hill.

The 3rd Front is now besieging Fort Antipholus, a 1st level Fortification in Eastern Menotos.  Eastern Menotos is now Contested.

Current Reinforcement Strategy:  We are reinforcing Front 1, Front 2, and Front 3 equally.  Front 2 is receiving our National Effort, the Aphrokemae.  Of the 10,353 men we can raise for war, only 4372 reached the front this year.  We have a total naval transport capacity of 1050 men, split between our three fleets.  Our three fleets are reinforced equally from our shipyards.

It is now the Design Phase.  You have 5 dice remaining.

Spoiler: Front Report (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Map, 301 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Current Status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Budget (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Current Units (click to show/hide)
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2017, 12:52:37 am »

Well now, that went far better than expected, I fully expected us to lose ground at all three fronts.

So, what do we want to do now? We should probably save a die to fix the camps, and perhaps another to claim some of the resources on our outlying islands... Depends on how our design goes, I suppose.
(Iituem, what's the current limiting factor making us have to rely on so many slaves at the moment, if we can ask?)

Glory to United Forenia!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2017, 12:58:30 am »

Well now, that went far better than expected, I fully expected us to lose ground at all three fronts.

So, what do we want to do now? We should probably save a die to fix the camps, and perhaps another to claim some of the resources on our outlying islands... Depends on how our design goes, I suppose.
(Iituem, what's the current limiting factor making us have to rely on so many slaves at the moment, if we can ask?)

At this stage, Training.  All League units except Slaves require at least 1 point of Training, and the reinforcement algorithm is set up so that it will try to fill out ranks with spearmen once all other units have been recruited, until it either runs out of ore or training, then it will spawn slaves to fill the gap.  Right now, you are fine for ore.  You simply lack sufficient training to field more non-slave troops.

Not that your last turn was useless.  You ended up with something in the region of an 18% bonus to training production, plus the extra bonus that will come next turn from city growth.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2017, 02:57:40 am »

Quote from: Pike Levy
Our levy and militia troops are too easily overwhelmed by the larger and more agile bugs. Thus, we should teach them to carry long pikes into battle.
The simple 'turn, stand, thrust' of pikes makes them easier to train with, and the long reach will mean less threat from the great warrior-bugs, and an easier time preventing the smaller workers from closing upon our lines.

Also @Iituem, If we push the 1st front hard enough to take their capital, what does that mean for the hive?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 05:46:10 am by Tack »

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2017, 06:31:22 am »

Ok so of we save on die for the camps, on for build another camp. Should we use our remaining to design on new thing or revise three things or build more camps?
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2017, 07:26:03 am »

Our current state is that one front won, the other two didnt. But one of those fronts failed due to a lack of troops. Odds are given the pressure of the first front, we'll see a redeployment of their troops there.

This says to me that right now, we are doing ..reasonably. Our forces are currently capable of handling things(ish), though I'm sure a numbers game is going to go against us quite rapidly, especially if either Front 2, or 3 buckles any further. We also have to be careful regarding Nippi, as it is adjacent to our main source of timber.

I think our best bet is improving one of our current troop types. I'd say perhaps looking into improving our bronze, which could have a staggering effect on our military power early on. Alternatively, we could throw down on magic, improving our weapon enchantments, or expanding them to include more than merely harder weapons.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2017, 07:42:19 am »

Quote from: Pike Levy
Our levy and militia troops are too easily overwhelmed by the larger and more agile bugs. Thus, we should teach them to carry long pikes into battle.
The simple 'turn, stand, thrust' of pikes makes them easier to train with, and the long reach will mean less threat from the great warrior-bugs, and an easier time preventing the smaller workers from closing upon our lines.

Also @Iituem, If we push the 1st front hard enough to take their capital, what does that mean for the hive?

Game over, unless they've captured another city and spawned a Queen there.

Please note that unless a Strategic action is taken, Fronts will resupply in the same proportions they have last turn.  You can use an action later to switch around which cities supply where and which Navies are given how many ships.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2017, 09:24:26 am »

I totally want to try and send 90% of our troops to attack the hive directly.

But if we win, can we reboot and go again? 'Cos this is a cool game which deserves a real conclusion.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 30