Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 30

Author Topic: Hive Race: The League  (Read 25642 times)

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hive Race: The League
« Reply #375 on: August 24, 2017, 10:50:46 pm »

I'm sure it will be fine. Mostly. Again, why would this be the thing that shakes things up? Our city states do what they like anyways.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: August 25, 2017, 02:57:25 am »

Well, this is a total farce.
But I guess no power is still more power than the perioikoi had before.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Aedel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 25, 2017, 04:44:37 am »

Quote from: Votes
Dice Spending:
Troop Re-Allocation: (3) Jilladilla, Nirur, Terenos
Upgrade Nippi's fort: (1) Tack
Save it:
Something else?

Free Actions:
Budget: -5% Ships, +5% Hoplites: (1) Jilladilla
Budget: -5% ships, -5% ballista, +5% hoplites, +5% spearmen: (3) Nirur, Tack, Terenos

Move Aphrokema Deployment?
Keep them at Front 3: (1) Jilladilla

Government:
Buzzword League Buzzword: (2) Tack, Taricus
Hadean League Reforms: (0)
Hadaean League Council: (4) Jilladilla, Madman, Terenos, Aedel

How about we make sure a tiebreaker doesn't happen again.
GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Blucifer: Whenever I talk to you it's like talking to flufflepuff and a temmie mixed together with cuddles.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 25, 2017, 05:56:18 pm »

So... everyone is voting for the banana republic?
Cruel.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 25, 2017, 10:03:03 pm »

Project: The Hadaean League Council

Sticking to the autonomous roots of the League, you draft up an administration based on confederate representative government.  Each city-state receives 3 votes in the council, 2 going to an appointed seat holder and 1 going to an elected seat holder.  To avoid rocking the boat too much, the franchise is extended to men and women owning land valued at least 1000 drachma (for reference, the unskilled helots in our cities earn around half a drachma, or three obols, a day; an average slave, unskilled but young and healthy, sells for 200 drachma), of sound mind and no criminal record, sufficient education and of 25 years of age.  This has the result of extending the franchise from a handful of aristoi worth tens of thousands of drachma to a much larger (though representatively still tiny) proportion of periskoi.  In essence, the "third" as it has become known is the province of the periskoi, since votes are by head rather than weighted by properly value.

While this is disconcerting to the oligarchic aristoi that classically control the city-states, the 2 vote appointee is a fig leaf to ensure their interests remain foremost (most heads of city-states simply appoint themselves, or a close relative who can speak for them in Council).  While the aristoi retain a voting majority in the Council, in terms of representation the two-seat system means that as many periskoi or ]i]periskoi[/i]-friendly representatives appear in person as appointees.  While their votes are slim, the periskoi receive much more vocal representation than before.  It helps that the Head Councillor, or Consul, must be an appointee - the status quo is aided by the use of his or her veto and speaker powers to silence obvious threats.

The saving grace for the aristoi is the decision to place the League's military firmly under the Council's control.  Many of the landed aristoi have grown concerned at the development of a professional military and the power of the strategoi; by placing command of the League's main army directly under the Council, it limits the autonomy of commanders to choose their own deployments and determine their own funding (and bribes).  By placing command of the 'local defence forces' (limited to be no larger than a city-state's contribution) directly under the control of the sitting appointed representative, the local aristoi have powers of funding and dismissal that keep local commanders in check and under thumb.

The aristoi are satisfied by these changes, as are the periskoi.  The helots don't care; for them little has changed.  The strategoi are unhappy indeed with the shifts in power.

Wealth and resources are on your side for the moment, although the officers in the field are less than perfectly disposed.  You receive an Expense Advantage, to be spent when you will.  There are long term effects as well.

For the periskoi, more political freedom means more economic freedom as well.  Their interests include relaxing the monopolies the aristoi have on economic operations such as logging and mining; ore and timber production has permanently increased.

With the power of the aristoi stabilised and codified, and control over militia placed firmly in their hands, they can work to suppress the excesses of the strategoi and keep peace between strategoi and periskoi; unrest is suppressed accordingly.

The strategoi are not happy about the changes and discontent breeds in their ranks.  There is no immediate observable effect, but continued dissatisfaction could lead to a more definite response.

Unfortunately, RL intervenes yet again!  I'm running the prototype version of my RL business this weekend, so I'm afraid the actual turn shall not happen until Monday, most likely.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 26, 2017, 06:51:04 am »

Well, that went just about as expected:

The aristoi are miffed at losing some power to the periskoi, but they are mollified by retaining the majority of power, and having control of the League's overall military.

The periskoi are thrilled at actually getting a say in government, even if it is restricted to the most well off of them, it looks like.

The strategoi are upset at us. This is fair, we did place this government in direct command of them. Really, Tack's was the only government suggested which might have avoided this.

And the helots.... Ok, we probably weren't getting their approval without completely upending society...

In the end, we got:
+Expense Advantage (This is still a very weird and vague thing for some things...)
+Ore and Timber (Is this a flat bonus or do we produce more per source we own on the map?)
+Unrest between strategoi and periskoi is suppressed
-Strategoi are fairly upset at us...

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: August 26, 2017, 08:17:07 am »

Well, it *might* be time for a complete turn-the-military-on-its-head design that would kill corruption for all time. That also displaces the strategoi from their positions of power.

Anyway, an Expense Advantage is probably going to be us rolling a design's Expense at advantage, meaning using two dice and taking the higher number.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 29, 2017, 08:36:23 am »

Year 305

Hinting at further changes within the League itself, the League deploys many more trained spearmen than slaves this year.  The Hive seems to have produced no truly new designs this year, but a larger number of the cat-sized acid-vomiting 'hunters' are spawned this year, moving faster than before and possessing much smoother, less clunky chitin armour.

The Hive pushed forward with devastating effect this year on all fronts, though narrowly on the third front; had they not redeployed the spitters to pushing the line back to Nippi, the additional troops sent from Kroton to defend the town's border would have been enough to push the Hive back.  As it was, the spitters prove to be a deadly retort.  The fort of Oracuse is lost, and the 2nd front pushes to the very border of Kydessos.

All three fronts push back; the 1st Front to the Epidaean Coast, the 2nd front to the border of Kydessos, the 3rd front to the walls of Nippi, a 2nd level Fortification.

It is now the Design Phase.  You have 5 dice remaining.  From this turn onwards, training is now a flat value that only affects production; it is not consumed by existing units.

Spoiler: Front Report (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Map, 305 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Current Status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Budget (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Current Units (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 11:52:48 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: August 29, 2017, 09:37:44 am »

So we have an excess of training and a dire need to deal with those spitters.

I'm thinking either control weather (rain) or some kind of lightning strike/magic bolt as a greater spell, and we shift a little of our budget towards mages.

Alternatively, for a more ambitious and outside the box idea, I've got a thought about a design for supercharging lesser spells into greater spells for mages, that way they can bring more power to bear with them.
Downside, it might still cost a slot to use the major, upside, the slots aren't dedicated, so it'd be zero downside - if we pulled it off.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: August 29, 2017, 10:48:29 am »

Iituem, didn't we re-assign 6 Pentekonter's from Fleet 1 to Fleet 3? Because all fleets are still listed as having 9 each. Or was this another clerical derp?

EDIT: Oh right, the Map Image thing is broken too.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 11:38:01 am by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: August 29, 2017, 11:44:46 am »

Ah, crap.  I need to reload the turn.  That might make the difference.

Time Warp Concluded:  Some changes to troop numbers, but no territorial changes compared to past turn.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 11:53:35 am by Iituem »

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: August 29, 2017, 02:23:44 pm »

Here's a suggestion:

Greatflare
Based on our Daze spell, the Greatflare involves the casting mage launching a projectile, which upon impact will explode in a ball of intense light and sound, heavily disorientating anything close by.

At least, that is what those in the blast area of the spell feel, for the light and sound are illusionary in nature, and entirely in the minds of those affected, and as a result things like 'keeping your eyes shut', 'not looking at the blast' and 'covering your ears' won't help much. However, due to its nature the 'Greatflare' has very little effect on anything not caught in the 'blast area' of the spell, other than creating a sound best described as 'wawmp'. A strange and confusing sound, yes, but just a normal, if still strange, sound that isn't even that loud. But for those affected by the Greatflare, they will be lucky if they can correctly guess which way is up.

Due to the power requirements of the spell, it is expected to require a Mage in order to cast.

Basically a supercharged illusionary flashbang. Yes their spitter's acid globs are AoE, but that won't help if they can't even tell which way our forces are.
(EDIT: Changed fluff a bit after getting confirmation on how Daze works)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 06:29:11 pm by Jilladilla »

Glory to United Forenia!

johiah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: August 29, 2017, 03:34:06 pm »

Here's a suggestion:

Greatflare
Based on our Daze spell, the Greatflare involves launching the casting mage launching a projectile, which upon impact will explode in a ball of intense light and sound, heavily disorientating anything close by.
Technically not playing, but this seemed too funny to not comment.
Like putting an archer with a bow and an arrow into a catapult.
Quote from: AoshimaMichio
Oh no, you won't laser my death star.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: August 29, 2017, 03:40:57 pm »

......OH GOD HOW DID I LET THAT GET BY?!?....

But yeah, it is funny.

Glory to United Forenia!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: August 29, 2017, 04:04:00 pm »

I'd go for a flame-based spell, if anything. Something suitable to roasting large numbers of little things before they do any damage to us.

Or perhaps lightning. Lightning, tuned to specific power levels, can destroy the nervous systems of smaller creatures quite effectively, while requiring relatively low amounts of power. Also, it'd impede the big ones a lot as well.

The Smell Of Ozone   Zeus es Machina Zeus' Fist
Lightning is dangerous. Everyone knows this. However, lightning is much more dangerous when someone is controlling it. By experimenting safely (A little) and accidentally frying some apprentices (Just a couple, we promise!) we've developed a powerful means to send lightning blasting through the enemies, killing the spitters outright and stunning the larger ones.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 30