Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 30

Author Topic: Hive Race: The League  (Read 25674 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Hive Race: The League
« Reply #285 on: August 19, 2017, 12:38:35 pm »

We could always accept the Thenatonian offer and then implement a strategy to fully assimilate them.
This, of course, being sideways to the possibility of hive interference. Still not sure what's going on there.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 19, 2017, 12:47:04 pm »

I considered "They might attack us, spend a dice preparing," but I don't know what they could even do. 400 people isn't enough to take one of the 800 strength forts at all our cities. They might pillage something, but I don't see how we could really prevent that without surrendering territory everywhere for a turn. We could divert our navy to strike them first, but that would just be begging for more negative events.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 19, 2017, 01:12:52 pm »

Well, the previous event was severely weighted against the humans, whom I assume is supposed to be losing ground for at least the first decade, so I'd be pretty cut if it was another kick in the rear.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 19, 2017, 02:59:13 pm »

Someone should break the tie on the lumber camp location.

2-3 turn plans?

We could design to allow less skilled mages to train as civilian mages, then design for magic craftsmen, then making our ballistas fire IN shots. Slaughter the weak, and they can't take our forts.

Civilian mages > crafter mages > flying carpets. Great while they're limited on range. Probably good to have before they get fliers.

Civilian mages > agricultural magic > farm redistribution. Lots of food means lots of training and lots of trained troops.

Illusion magic > Combat training against illusions or better ambushes.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 19, 2017, 03:01:33 pm »

No training against illusions, hive troops are mundane locked.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 19, 2017, 03:03:56 pm »

Not training for illusion resistance. Training for "THERE'S A HORDE OF GIANT MONSTERS AHHHHHH!"

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 19, 2017, 03:15:39 pm »

Well, in the future:

Increasing our resource acquisition of everything is important, and we can likely use magic to help in a number of ways. Most importantly if we increase our production of food our cities will grow larger, and may also give us the leeway to move to a professional military rather than our current militia model.

I'm not worried about fliers, because we have magic and can simply control air. In fact, we could develop walls of solid air and that could also do double duty stopping their Spitters. Probably take a Greater spell slot though.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 19, 2017, 03:24:22 pm »

We might be able to make flying wall as a short-lived lesser spell that discharges its energy when something tries to fly throw it - Either repelling acid towards-ish the enemy or that discharges itself as kinetic energy into a flier, hopefully throwing it to the ground before it can recover. Maybe if we spiral its discharge to make them spin, so they can't regain control? Would help more against heavy-duty fliers than swarmers.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 19, 2017, 03:27:07 pm »

For right now, I say we move towards a Professional Army, as that should increase our Training capacity by a sizeable amount. So basically, we just need surplus food. So a turn getting that, a turn to shift to professional army, and boom, Bjorn Stronginthearms your uncle.
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 19, 2017, 04:20:57 pm »

I'll be curious to see how much manpower we can eke out.
I frankly didn't think of how much training the roman legions and such needed to do.

Anywho:
Quote from: Votes
Thanetonian Proposal:
Nay: (3) Terenos, Nirur, Jilladilla
Yea: (1) Tack
-
Build a Major Training Camp at:
   Chersera: (1) Nirur
   Kroton: (1) Jilladilla, Tack
-
Build a lumber camp near Paphessos in the north: (1) Nirur
Build a lumber camp near Borolis in the south: (1) Jilladilla
-
Upgrade Fortress at Front 2 (1) Tack
-
Budget: More Apprentices: (2) Nirur, Terenos -Free Action

Deploy National Units at Front 3: (2) Nirur,Terenos -Free Action

Save a die: (1) Terenos
Save both dice:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 04:26:54 pm by Tack »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 19, 2017, 04:25:52 pm »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 19, 2017, 08:10:54 pm »

Unless I get a tiebreakers on the training and logging camps, I'll just flip a coin for both.  Turn hopefully imminent.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 19, 2017, 08:14:31 pm »

Tack voted for the Kroton training camp, he just didn't increment it.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 19, 2017, 09:04:30 pm »

Quote from: Votes
Thanetonian Proposal:
Nay: (3) Terenos, Nirur, Jilladilla
Yea: (1) Tack
-
Build a Major Training Camp at:
   Chersera: (1) Nirur
   Kroton: (2) Jilladilla, Tack
-
Build a lumber camp near Paphessos in the north: (2) Nirur, Jilladilla
Build a lumber camp near Borolis in the south: (0)
-
Upgrade Fortress at Front 2 (1) Tack
-
Budget: More Apprentices: (2) Nirur, Terenos -Free Action

Deploy National Units at Front 3: (2) Nirur,Terenos -Free Action

Save a die: (1) Terenos
Save both dice:
Ah heck, it really didn't matter, so I'll go with the wood up north just so RNGesus doesn't stop us from building boats.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 19, 2017, 10:20:21 pm »

Strategy: Build Training Camp at Kroton  [5]

Kroton, as one of the cities directly in the path of the Hive's advance, more than clearly sees the danger it presents and goes all-in with its efforts to build the training camp.  A permanent barracks is established for recruits and the city's best soldiers come back from the front to train the next wave to be sent to kill (and hopefully not die to) the Hive.

Strategy: Build Logging Camps in Borolis  [1]

The Borolis Woods are dark and full of terrors.  Rumours abound that the woods are filled with terrifying centaurs that slay, flay, and impale the terrified settlers.  Whether or not the woods are actually full of centaurs, the impalings are real and the periokoi are not inclined to venture beyond heavily guarded outposts to stake their claims.  Even the helots under their ownership are rarely willing to venture into the forest to cut wood, and those that are sufficiently beaten to do so usually end up impaled against the very trees they sought to cut.

The Borolis Woods are settled, but produce about half their expected timber until things can be resolved there.

NB:  I already did this and flipped a coin for Borolis when I did the turn an hour ago.  I'm afraid I'm sticking with Borolis for now.

Year 304

The year 304 sees the League's mages improve significantly in survivability.  Now wielding a third distinct spell, the mages seem to be able to harden their own seemingly ordinary cloth robes into as hard a substance as bronze, with even the splashes of acid from spitter strikes sliding safely off it before completely destroying the fabric.  The fortunate spearmen surrounding these spellcasters too seem to benefit from the enchantment, their boiled leather armour gaining something of the nature of bronze to it as well.  Even the many unfortunate slaves dragged into the fight sometimes benefit from a mage's touch.  Mages do still die to being punched through the chest by a Soldier drone's pincer, of course, but they seem to be able to avoid being killed by ordinary workers now.

For the Hive's part, it unleashes a small amount of a new type of drone, a house-cat sized insect without the deadly forelimbs of workers or soldiers and atrophied mandibles.  Its limbs have been converted into forward-facing legs and it is covered in uneven armour.  This 'hunter drone' proves fast; not so fast as a charging warhorse such as the hippeis ride, but faster than the fastest of the League's runners.  Instead of trampling foes, however, these tiny insects get close to their targets and then violently spray acid from their mouths before fleeing.  It is effective against slaves, but they cannot generally approach close enough to most spearmen to vomit their attacks.  Indeed, the creatures once cornered are easily enough despatched; a solid spear blow to the weak points in their armour will disable them, and a second killing stroke is often easier thereafter.  The problem is catching the beggars in the first place.

The League chose not to accept the Thanatonian 'offer', insisting they could have an even seat at the table or none at all.  The Thanetonian centurion departed, promising that his people would not be 'so generous next time'.  However, the aristoi of the League seem heartened by the council's decision in this matter.  Better they stand together than raise one above the rest.

Whether the result of more apprentice assistance, the fact that the Hive withdrew their spitters or simply the fortifications at Oracuse, the hill fort does not fall this year.

The walled town of Dromio is less fortunate, as the Spitters are returned to the second front to provide their distinctive support.  With worker ladders and an unceasing barrage of acidic spit, the town falls.  Only two apprentices, a team of siege engineers and seven hoplites for a bodyguard manage to escape the ensuing massacre.

The 2nd Front moves to the edge of the Kydessan Plains and the Kydessan Woods.  The Hive, as the attacker, may choose which territory the front will push through.

The aphrokemae join the fight in the Nippan Woods, but the tide of battle is clear.  They mostly help organise the retreat of a handful of more valuable troops to Nippi itself.

The Hive has taken the Nippan Woods and may extract its bounty.  The 3rd Front has moved to the edge of Nippi, but has not yet pressed far enough forwards to besiege the walls.

Opportunity: Design Advantage

With the Thanetonians gone, many breathe a sigh of relief.  Yet the question of government has now been raised.  The League was formed in a hurry to put down a dangerous but short-lived threat.  With no immediate end to the war in sight, many are questioning whether the League should (or even can) continue in its state as a loose alliance of independent states or whether it should unify as a single nation.  Many oppose the loss of autonomy, but at the very least people can agree that the rather impromptu 'council' of city leaders could use formalising.  You must design (for free) a system of government for the League that you think the League will accept.

Bear in mind that the League is composed of many people, but they can be lumped into a few obvious strata.

The aristoi have most of the wealth and property, and will want to retain their privileges as rulers of their respective cities.

The strategoi and the members of an increasingly permanent militia care about the privileges they can expect for being sent off to die.

The perikoi who are mostly free small landowners and craftsmen, are mostly concerned with their own well-being and freedoms.

The helots are a class of semi-free labourers half a step above slavery.  Helots form a fraction of the 'slaves' we drag off to serve as meat shields (along with true slaves, who really don't have a say here) and care about not being too badly treated.  We think.  What do we care?  They're helots.

Depending on the finalised proposal, you may get either an Advantage to Effectiveness, Cost or Bug-fixing/avoidance.  Invoking your Advantage lets you roll the die twice, picking the better roll.  An excellent proposal (and one well-received by the cities of the League, or at least a significant proportion of the important ones) may see other benefits.

Note:  The League seems to be getting magic slaves out of nowhere.  This is a reporting bug; they are using up spare manpower that isn't being used in ships (ships are allocated 10% of all manpower but don't use it all).  Trying to fix that has resulted in game-breaking weirdness, so I'll take a shot at it when I'm not tired.  I've left it be because it's representative; they might as well use that manpower anyway, it's going to waste if not.

Note 2:  From next turn onwards, terrain will be taken into account.  More on this when coded.  3 terrains will be considered; plains, forest and hills.

It is the Design Phase.  You have 5 Dice remaining.

Spoiler: Front Report (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Map, 304 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Current Status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Budget (click to show/hide)
Spoiler:  Current Units (click to show/hide)
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 30