Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Hive Race: An Asymmetric Arms Race Game [Core Thread]  (Read 9302 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Hive Race: An Asymmetric Arms Race Game [Core Thread]
« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2017, 02:29:10 am »

Manpower works slightly differently; Generica is currently supporting 8000 manpower's worth of troops.  This turn it received 500 manpower (and expects to do so again), so next turn that will read 8500/10,000 unless it loses troops to battle.

This is how our reinforcements work. We can sustain a max number of X forces, and we can add Y forces each turn. That means that in order to reach X, we need to ensure our forces aren't killed.

As an observer, it appears manpower for the Hive is treated as a resource in the same way ore or wood I'd for the League,  whereas manpower for the league slowly gains "interest" like a bank account. This each unit of manpower for the League appears to be more costly to produce.

As someone whose actually in the game, I can tell you that for the Hive at least, you're wrong. Manpower is not ore or wood, it refills slowly, not instantly.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 23, 2017, 02:30:20 am »

It's what seriously worries be, because if the Hive is pushing us back on all fronts already, what will happen now you have that lumber? What happens when you capture your first city?
Seems like a snowballing effect.
That's a question of game balance. If you don't think the game is balanced, take it up with the GM. If I were you, I wouldn't judge the effects of a thing happening before it happens.

What I'm talking about it mostly flavour. Things may be balanced, but they feel wrong, you know?
Long Live United Forenia!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 23, 2017, 02:30:58 am »

As someone whose actually in the game, I can tell you that for the Hive at least, you're wrong. Manpower is not ore or wood, it refills slowly, not instantly.
You don't know how ore or wood works. Don't be that guy
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 23, 2017, 02:32:32 am »

You don't know how ore or wood works. Don't be that guy
I know exactly how it works as the GM posted an explanation in this very thread.

An explanation that I linked, btw.

I suggest you take your own advice.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 02:35:26 am by 10ebbor10 »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 23, 2017, 02:34:31 am »

Earlier in this thread:
A Clarification

On your status reports, which look something like this:

==The Divided States of Generica==

Production: 200/1000 ore, 460/1000 timber, 300/1000 training
Manpower: 8000/10,000 {500/turn}

Where numbers are divided like so: 200/1000 ore, these numbers represent Resources in Use / Resource Capacity, or the total amount you produce full stop.  Units cost resources to maintain, so the DSG above can only spend 800 ore, 540 timber and 700 training next turn.

Manpower works slightly differently; Generica is currently supporting 8000 manpower's worth of troops.  This turn it received 500 manpower (and expects to do so again), so next turn that will read 8500/10,000 unless it loses troops to battle.
So, yeah, we know how ore and wood and training work.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 23, 2017, 02:46:24 am »

Frankly, I hadn't yet read it, so I don't. Apologies.
But I'm kind of surprised it isn't income/spending based.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 23, 2017, 02:50:56 am »

Don't you get this info in your Yearly Status info. We do, after all, so I'd be suprised if it was different for you.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 23, 2017, 08:16:45 am »

I can confirm that manpower, timber and ore work the same for both sides.  The Hive isn't reliant (at game start) on timber or ore and have a higher base manpower rate, which is the main difference.  Though ironically, placing the League as the owner of most of the map did result in a bizarre reverse-Zerg Rush.

In any case, the poll quite strongly indicates (11:2) at this moment that production-only training is favoured.  I will implement it after the next turn-tick, so standard rules apply until the end of this turn.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2017, 05:56:38 am »

Terrain Types in Effect!

We now have four terrain types (five if you include 'sea', which has no effects either way); Plains, Forest, Mountain and Urban.  Most provinces are Plains; provinces with cities or hives are Urban, provinces with timber are Forest and provinces with ore are Mountain.  The following loose penalties and bonuses apply to the different types of troop (modelled on League troops, with Hive drones suffering equivalent modifiers):

Infantry:      Neutral for most terrain types, with an advantage in urban environments.
Skirmishers:   Disadvantaged in open plains, slight advantage in forest, mountain and urban.
Cavalry:      Massive advantage in open plains, disadvantaged in forest, mountain and urban.
Traps:         Disadvantage in plains, advantage in urban.
Ranged:         Advantage mountain, disadvantage forest.
Artillery:      Advantage mountain, disadvantage forest.

Mages aren't affected by terrain.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2017, 04:59:55 pm »

Do hive troops have terrain advantages for their small, medium and large creatures?
Also Iituem your new combat layout looks beautiful and easy to read, but also crazy time intensive.
Don't burn yourself out yeah? We can easily put up with something more obscure.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 05:02:55 pm by Tack »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 31, 2017, 05:29:27 pm »

Do hive troops have terrain advantages for their small, medium and large creatures?
Also Iituem your new combat layout looks beautiful and easy to read, but also crazy time intensive.
Don't burn yourself out yeah? We can easily put up with something more obscure.

They have terrain modifiers that make sense for their drone types.

The combat layout was actually a rather easy change, I just didn't think to do it in the first place.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 26, 2017, 07:53:55 am »

I hear the Hive is outnumbering the League both in the design room and on the field, so I'll be joining the Humans.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 26, 2017, 08:43:40 am »

Technically, the League outnumbers the Hive by a great margin, which is negated bh the fact that most League units are only good at dieing.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 26, 2017, 08:45:42 am »

Yeah, the irony has been discussed at length- the League employs zerg rush tactics, whilst the Hive is concerned with preserving elite units.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 26, 2017, 11:52:12 am »

And it is NOT OUR FAULT.

Blame the GM, he started us off in a really nasty position as far as "keeping guys alive" goes.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8