Poll

What should we do?

Start over after we finish the war
- 7 (53.8%)
Continue from part 3
- 6 (46.2%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: If Bay12 was a Fort part 4: Continuation [Something's happening]  (Read 6015 times)

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: If Bay12 was a Fort part 4: Continuation [New players welcome]
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2017, 10:48:11 am »

Waiting for the others to post, else update friday evening
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
  • You fool. You absolute buffoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2017, 04:16:43 pm »

Wait, are we still doing the assigning numbers thing?

Avanti!

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2017, 02:07:14 am »

Wait, are we still doing the assigning numbers thing?
I'm not. Bear in mind that I did this because i felt like it, so my updates ain't official. But I'd like to keep this going, so I update it. I'm not doing numbers, too much trouble.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2017, 08:15:26 pm »

One: Fuck the number system. Scrapped.
Two: Thanks Gwolfski, your update is now offical
Three: I'll do another update over the weekend if we get enough actions done.
I was bored. This is not an official update yet

Another month passed. Much work was done, for time was running out.

A new dwarf had stumbled into the fortress's entrance. He was immediately sent to detox, after which he was questioned. Upon the guards realising him being an enginneer, he was sent down to the cavern layer to help with various projects. The newcomer, Cog was his name, started to collect rocks from the waste pile, and in a few weeks had purified a sizeable container of near-pure silicates, which were then used to make crude electronic components, for example transistors.

Two new monstrosities are erected near Gwolfki's hut: a massive stone and iron vat, and two smaller, carefully prepared sealed nickel vats and a labyrinth of nickel pipes. A mage is tasked with keeping the vat sterile and free of impurites at all times. A crude transformer using a magnetite core and cloth-wrapped coils is used to power a modified elctrolysis machine in the second vat.

The miner who discovered the machine in the air vents was swiftly cleaned and palced under quarantine, for safety.

A large chamber is excavated for the future storage of explosives.

Finally realising the great need of such infrastructure, the dwarves swiftly assemble a lot of machines for working metal, such as lathes, pillar drills, rifling and die drawing machines to name a few.

Since the fall of the demigod, the surface farms were wiped out, and food was running low, so a section of the cavern with cleaner air was walled of and more dirt piled in, and crops were planted.

Some of the nitric acid produced earlier was used in the production of primer, which now occupies pride of place in the new explosives chamber. In other chemistry news, the large stone and iron vat is finally being put to use. Several electrolysers are hijacked to produce hydrogen, which is mixed with coal and the special ingredient, a few gallons of heavy oil which was painstakingly created by a duo of mages over two weeks. By the end of the month, a sizeable amount of crude oil has been produced. Sulphuric acid is made in large quantities from sulphuric rocks, and this acid along with some flourite is mixed in the large nickel vat. A small but usable amount of flourine gas is produced and stored in large glass vials surrounded by straw.

Recruits who have received guns are quickly directed to a crash course in safetly and handling of firearms, their operation and construction.

In the 'labs', the semi-auto rifle prototype has been perfected, and the machine gun prototype doesn't explode as much now.

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay12 was a Fort part 4: Continuation [New players welcome/needed]
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2017, 09:22:20 am »

Send a letter to mountainhomes detailing the progress, and that we may be able to send out simple rifles with some instructional booklets for the army at large. Then, enlist the mage's help in designing a magical nuke-equivalent, or a magical supplemented nuke. Not build, just figure out what it would need. Finally, due to the stated lack of natural oil... build an electrically-heated chamber, to be filled with pulverized coal, what limited hydrocarbons we can scrounge up, and several valves and such that end up producing a high-octane fuel equivalent to diesel, as well as maybe some naptha, gasoline, or even gaseous vapors.

Avanti!

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2017, 05:41:19 pm »

Send a letter to mountainhomes detailing the progress, and that we may be able to send out simple rifles with some instructional booklets for the army at large. Then, enlist the mage's help in designing a magical nuke-equivalent, or a magical supplemented nuke. Not build, just figure out what it would need. Finally, due to the stated lack of natural oil... build an electrically-heated chamber, to be filled with pulverized coal, what limited hydrocarbons we can scrounge up, and several valves and such that end up producing a high-octane fuel equivalent to diesel, as well as maybe some naptha, gasoline, or even gaseous vapors.

1: The infrastructure for real nukes is in place
2: Crude Oil is being made

Reminds me :Assemble those magically augmented centrifuges for seperating uranium that we discussed earlier

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2017, 06:50:23 pm »

Start assembling transistors into more and more complex components -- flip-flops, 8-bit registers, multiplexers, etc. Try to eventually link them all up into a working, very bare bones computer.

(I'm talking 8 bytes maximum program size, 8 bytes memory, and the very least possible number of instructions so that the computer is still Turing-complete.)
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2017, 03:44:32 am »

Reminds me, someone get Fish's tablet and reverese-engineer it.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2017, 09:37:58 pm »

{Nice update, Gwolfski.}

{If you dismantle the tablet, you can probably get the idea of its design, but you lose access to its stored data, and you can't really produce nanometer scale transistor blocks, even your magic isn't that good yet. However, what you already know in addition to the data on the tablet should allow you to produce all sorts of electronics or computer systems at the sorts of scales you actually have the ability to produce. If you want crude, large-scale microchip-type capabilities, you can definitely accomplish that. Eight bit microcomputing and so on will require more iteration of your manufacturing technology to accomplish.}

{Keep in mind, the timed badness threshold will not end your research and development opportunities, you'll just need to be fighting an active conflict alongside development.}
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2017, 01:20:40 am »

Chucking together a few registers, multiplexers, and various other simple circuitry is enough to create something that only barely deserves to be called a computer. It will be VERY bulky, VERY slow, and be completely impossible to use in any practical way, but it works as a bare-bones demo. Hell, I could make one, given an adequate supply of transistors, capacitors, and resistors (as well as a clock) if I had the time.

To clarify, this isn't microscopic-scale circuitry. This is welding together a bunch of separate electronic components with wire.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2017, 03:50:01 pm »

hmm we should also do something about the fact that half the fort is held up by steel beams jammed acrros hallways

Right o, Here is my Plan.

Start Plan
With the construction of the crude oil apparatus complete, it is time to further the petroleum chain. A crude refinery tower is to be constructed, to separate the crude oil into diesel, petrol, gases and tar. This is simple, as it relies on distillation, a technique well known by every dwarf.

Also, a batch of 50 semi-auto rifles is to be built using the new metalworking machinery, and given out to prominent people, but NOT the duke.

And finally, with the aid of previously known anti-radiation charms, uranium ore is to be mined, crushed and mixed with the fluorine nitric acid in sealed containers, after which the magician's will purify the uranyl nitrate using magic(cant fine the post that explains magic types), then add hydrogen from the electrolysers and finally the fluorine. Keep in sealed containers. and stored in a lead-lined room. A prototype of the centrifuge discussed earlier is also to be constructed. (I will edit in the description of the centrifuge later){basically, small-scale feasibility test}

Also, due to the special requirements of nethercap, devise a substance, preferably liquid, that can keep nethercap flesh/wood/stem? alive.

End of Plan
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 12:09:26 pm by Gwolfski »

Doubloon-Seven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2017, 10:28:13 pm »

Be sure to keep up bolt-action rifle production as well.

Avanti!

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2017, 11:42:24 am »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium_hexafluoride

This stuff is what you need to centrifuge. It looks as though all you really need in addition to the flourine and some basic shit is nitric acid, which you're already producing, but it's central to gunpowder production. As such, if you start mass producing uranium hexaflouride, you'll slow down ammunition, unless we up our total chemical production first.

The attempt at production of the chemical using a raw mixture of elemental flourine and crushed pitchblende results in a vicious fire and the injury of several workers.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 11:46:21 am by Amperzand »
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2017, 12:01:44 pm »

oh crap yeah you mix the uranium with acid ore. I knew I missed something. Let me fix that.

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2017, 10:51:14 am »

OR not. We need a few more actions for a worthwhile update.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 10:53:37 am by MoonyTheHuman »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6