Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: War of the Ancients (Suggestion Game)  (Read 1434 times)

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
War of the Ancients (Suggestion Game)
« on: July 27, 2017, 03:04:04 pm »

Aeons ago, the Ancients reforged this world, they tamed the continents, seeded it with life, and crafted many of the sapient creatures which inhabit the world to this  very day. And then Aeons ago, they left, they crafted lesser beings, gods, to watch over their creation, and then they left. They left their new world to fend for itself, to grow in its own. But before they left, they made one last creation, they made you.

Over the ages you have slept, your lands hidden away from even the gods reach. As the world first prospered, in peace and harmony, and then as it plunged into the chaos of war and strife, still you slept. As the world recovered, you slept, and as the world cycled back into chaos, then peace, and then chaos again, you slept.

Finally, after countless years, you awaken, but this is not a joyous occasion, no, it would have been best if you had never awoken at all. After all you, are a last resort, a weapon to be unleashed in the event of a most dreaded foes arrival. It would have been best if they had never found this world at all, but alas, the voidspawn have come, and now your people awaken.

Some of your people have been awake already, since the first signs of the voidspawns arrival, in fact you are one of the last to be awoken, however your awakening is the most important. For the Ancients created you specifically for one purpose, to lead your people against the voidspawn.

The world has changed much since you first went to sleep, the gods have forgotten their place, they mortals are divided into dozens, perhaps hundreds of small petty nations vying for minor glories and pathetic resources. Few if any know of yourselves, or the voidspawn, but they will soon, soon your armies will clash across the world, and whether those that live there now will be a nuisance, or a boon, well that will depend on you.

Hey, haven't been back on this sight for a while, but this idea wouldn't leave my head so I decided to give it a try. This is a suggestion game with very simple rules, everything will be decided with a D6 roll, sometimes with modifiers. You'll create armies to fight continuous voidspawn invasions until you and your world are wiped out, or you find a way to end the voidspawn invasion. Of course this isn't just combat, the many gods and mortals that already exist here won't take either the voidspawn invasions, or your own tramping through their territories lying down, and how much of a help or hinderence they will be will in large part depend on you. And a method of finally defeating the voidspawn will require more than just combat.

So anyway, first off.

What is the name of your people?
What do they look like?
What do they call this world?
What is your name?
What if the hidden land you came from (it's name and how it remained undisturbed)?

And now for the actually game effecting choice.
What kind of beings are you?
Organic ( bonus to diplomacy)
Mechanical ( bonus to population growth)
Elemental ( bonus to combat)
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

darkgamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: War of the Ancients (Suggestion Game)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 04:12:48 pm »

The Cogsen

What do they look like?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ecrinda

What is your name?
Gero Vapos

What if the hidden land you came from (it's name and how it remained undisturbed)?

Wukubis, The Lonely Sanctum. Hidden underground and frozen in a state of silence by the creators and made to slumber. Unaffected by time as it lay dormant unknowingly waiting for the voidspawn arrival.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 07:16:41 am »

What is the name of your people? The Chaostouched
What do they look like? You look like many of the Humanoid races, yet have additional Features, a second tail, a third arm. another row of eyes.
What do they call this world? Entropy
What is your name? Ogothyek
A Plane parallel to the real world, interwoven with reality using the power of your dreams. now that you are awake it will slowly fade and you need to travel to the normal plane.

And now for the actually game effecting choice.
Organic ( bonus to diplomacy) If the features of your race are hidden you are indistinguishable from normal members of the races.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 09:58:20 am »

The Cogsen

What do they look like?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ecrinda

What is your name?
Gero Vapos

Wukubis, The Lonely Sanctum. Hidden underground and frozen in a state of silence by the creators and made to slumber. Unaffected by time as it lay dormant unknowingly waiting for the voidspawn arrival.

+1

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 09:27:15 pm »

There's nothing when you awaken, no sight, not sound, nothing. For any organic creature they might mistake this for sleep, with only their thoughts seeming to exist, but you know better. You are awake, this is not good.

The process of fully reawakening a Cogsen from sleep is a long and slow one, and while you do not feel something so petty as impatience, every second is needed, so your head is restored to full capacity first, then the council meeting begins while the rest of your body is restored.

"Where were the voidspawn first detected?" This first question is directed at Surveymaster Corri Infalmius, the first of the council to be awoken, before even you.

"Longtitude 47.693105, Latitude 73.7901 South." That can't be right.

"Voidspawn should not be capable of opening a rift in the literal middle of the ocean yet."

"According to our data, they are not, a new Landmass has been raised there." They didn't.

"Which of the gods is responsible for tampering with the design of Ecrinda?"

"Limited data points to a group called the Pantheon, though little else is known at this time, except that the Pantheon is much smaller than it was at its founding. But they are not the only ones to alter the Surface, Ecrinda's appearance does not align with our maps, survey units have been mapping it out for the past three weeks but it will take at least another eight weeks to complete even a basic geographic survey of the whole world." More chaos on the surface, great. "Also, is appears that the creation of this new landmass has destroyed all of our tunnels in the vicinity of the new continent, our nearest tunnel exit is 23 thousand kilometres away. Many of our other tunnels have been similarly damaged across Ecrinda by the changing of the surface." Brilliant.

Forgemaster Vaki Ignius speaks next. "Wukubis itself is undamaged, but reactivating the facilities is taking longer than expected, currently only two factories are active, our defenses still haven't been reactivated, nor the Library or Laboratory. The Infinity Mine appears to be in one piece, though all our mining units are still asleep, however our stockpiles should easily last us a year without them. Most of the Architects are still asleep as well, and so far I have placed reactivating them at the highest priority, with restoring the factories at second priority."

Battlemaster Ragnos Alumnus is the last Councillor to speak. "Most of our combat units are still asleep, only three basic armies worth can be raised, all specialized units are still asleep, it will take whatever forces we send at least two months to get to the rift, and without our defenses online, at least one of those will need to remain here. We've already had very limited combat with extremely deep dwelling dwarves, and with Wukubis now active, not even the ancients magic can keep us hidden."

"You believe they might attack us?"

"They have initiated every combat we have had with them, all signs point to them being extremely hostile, though we don't know anything else."

"And they, along with numerous other creatures, have also taken to occupying some of our tunnels, mostly the already damaged ones, but some of our best tunnels to the surface have been converted into underground cities."

Well, this awakening could have gone better, now, what to do.

Spoiler: Ecrinda (click to show/hide)

So here we are, now I feel that I should explain a few things quickly. Firstly what is what? A unit is basically a very large number of that thing, so a combat unit is an entire army, etc. Architects are your constructors and maintenance guys, they build facilities, repair them and currently, wake up other things. It will take them one month to wake up another unit, and two to reactivate a facility. Survey units gather information, and Librarian units do research, record data and conduct diplomacy. The Library holds blueprints for much better facilities and units, and the rest of the stuff seems pretty self explanatory. A factory can make one basic unit a month and one advanced unit a month. Each unit costs one resource per month its construction takes, and each facility costs two per month it takes to build. Maintenance and reactivating doesn't cost resources. You won't roll dice for things like mining and building units/facilities.

Speaking of months, each turn will be a month except when you happen do be doing something of importance, like leading a battle or conducting diplomacy. Battles will work with simple roll offs, modifiers added on, and whoever rolls highest wins, destroying one or more enemy armies in the process

Void rifts will produce one Voidspawn horde per month equal to the level of the Voidrift minus one. So a level one Voidrift won't make anything, a level two will make one Voidspawn horde a month etc. And the rifts level up every two months they are active, typically also starting with one horde. And I think thats everything, let me know if I didn't explain something.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 12:32:01 am by Deny »
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

MonkeyMarkMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 10:54:34 pm »

I think 2 Architects should start awaking more Architects and 1 Architect should start repairing the tunnel system.

Assuming combat units can level up by training have our basics train.

The two factories should produce 2 Architects to further our awaking process.

The miners should, well, mine.
My Forum game(s):
Hahaha, ya right

Any future games will be simpler in nature, I have a bad habit of biting off more than I can chew. Also hoping for more players in them.

I have Discord for my games now(not necessary to play, tho might be easier to contact me): https://discord.gg/DuaARAZ

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 12:54:59 am »

Afraid the miners are still asleep.

Also, quick point about the tunnels, repairing them is going to be a big project, with lots of chances for things to go wrong, could take you guys years to finish.
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 03:33:41 am »

Okay plan is this, we send two combat units out to engage the rift.  This is gonna take 2 months but hopefully they can get out there before a second rift spawn jumps out and close it, if not we can learn what we are up against.

Have 1 architect work on reactivating the defense systems, 1 work on waking up the tunnel combat units and 1 working on waking up another architect.

Have the factories produce more basic combat units.  They can reinforce the others if the void spawn are too much.

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 07:23:03 am »

I'm not sure how I feel about bumping my own thread, but I do need some kind of consensus, literally one more vote would be enough
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 07:27:33 am by Deny »
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

darkgamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 07:46:07 am »

Okay plan is this, we send two combat units out to engage the rift.  This is gonna take 2 months but hopefully they can get out there before a second rift spawn jumps out and close it, if not we can learn what we are up against.

Have 1 architect work on reactivating the defense systems, 1 work on waking up the tunnel combat units and 1 working on waking up another architect.

Have the factories produce more basic combat units.  They can reinforce the others if the void spawn are too much.

+1

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 02:22:12 pm »

Wukubis, 1st month

The gears begin to turn, at last after thousands of years, Wukubis is waking up, armies are marching and the factories are churning.

The armies are the first to move, as they begin the long march out to the rift.
They weren't marching for a week before something went wrong, and a force of Deep Dwarfs suddenly ambushed them, strange tunnel monsters burst from the cavern walls, while Deep Dwarfs armoured in chitin plates and carrying weapons made of bone and claw go charging at your forces.
3 vs 4-1, 1 Deep Dwarf army flees
Fortunately, your silent Cogsen warriors manage to drive them off without suffering too much damage or slowing down too much, though they don't inflict much damage in turn, and they are able to continue their march with minimal adjustments to their schedule.

Back in Wukubis the Deep Dwarfs try a direct approach with twice the number of troops.
6 vs 3-2, 1 Deep Dwarf army destroyed, 1 fled
But this time, from defended positions and waiting for the enemy, your forces maul the Deep Dwarfs and send them fleeing back to their tunnels, wherever those lead too exactly.

Your architects meanwhile have been working hard, another architect is awoken, and more importantly, half of your tunnel fighters are awoken. Progress is made on restoring the automated defenses of Wukubis, and factories start churning out combat forces, it looks like they're going to be busy soon.

On the surface the no more rifts seem to have opened up so far, though the single horde already there appears to be wreaking havoc across the continent it is on, your Survey drones observe that the Voidspawn have fought at least one enemy force and wiped them out to the last, but have mostly been butchering their way across open countryside.

"It seems that these Deep Dwarfs are going to be a problem, they have openly attacked not only our away army, but Wukubis itself, once our defenses are fully restored we probably won't have to worry about the Lonely Sanctum itself but and force that leaves will likely have to watch out for them. We may have to try and deal with them. not only have they shown open hostility towards us, but they have clearly been perverting the design of the creatures of Ecrinda, the beasts they unleashed on our forces shared only passing resemblance to any beast that should exist on Ecrinda, and few of those are supposed to be found this far underground."

"Wouldn't dealing with them waste our time?"

"They are going to waste our time with these attacks anyway, I simply think we need to find a permanent solution to this as quickly as possible before they cause us trouble at a more crucial juncture." Corri decides to speak up at this.

"Perhaps we should try to find out just what it is they want first? Once my Survey units are done on the surface, we could put some to try and find out more information about these Deep Dwarfs, it may be possible to bargain with them. In the meantime I'm starting to see why this new continent was created, what we have seen of the old continents so far, they don't look very good."

Spoiler: Wukubis (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ecrinda (click to show/hide)

Quick explanation on the combat (last game mechanics info dump I promise) to represent the fact that normal armies lack the gumption to stand and die that your own or voidspawn armies do, most of them suffer a minus 2 modifier to all combat, and simply lose all draws, however you will usually only get their armies to run away, meaning they are still out there too try and have another go. As for how casualties will go otherwise, on a draw you both lose if you win by less than four you wipe out one enemy units, if you win by two or more you wipe out to enemy units (mortal armies will always have one unit run before they start to lose units, unless they are trapped or something). There are of course other modifiers like outnumbering by double (except in the smallest of fights), ambushes, terrain etc.
In denial of sanity...

and insanity

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2017, 04:25:29 pm »

Ptw

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 03:15:01 pm »

I think that we should look into diplomacy with the deep dwarfs, we're essentially outsiders to this changed world, no reason to fight them in their home turf unless we need to. The more people we can tell about our mission to stop the voidspawn from destroying the world, the better.

Even barring peaceful options, we need to know more about the deep dwarfs if we'll be wiping them out.

Our combat units can keep doing what they're doing. Hopefully we could pull a cavalry and ambush the voidspawns while they're engaged in combat with another army. This might be tricky as we shouldn't appear to be waiting for the time to swoop in because that'd look bad on us. Perhaps try to keep track of voidspawn movement and catch up to them the moment they head towards collision with any army or settlements.

We can also keep working on fortress defense.

she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pavellius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 04:23:04 pm »

I think that we should look into diplomacy with the deep dwarfs, we're essentially outsiders to this changed world, no reason to fight them in their home turf unless we need to. The more people we can tell about our mission to stop the voidspawn from destroying the world, the better.

Even barring peaceful options, we need to know more about the deep dwarfs if we'll be wiping them out.

Our combat units can keep doing what they're doing. Hopefully we could pull a cavalry and ambush the voidspawns while they're engaged in combat with another army. This might be tricky as we shouldn't appear to be waiting for the time to swoop in because that'd look bad on us. Perhaps try to keep track of voidspawn movement and catch up to them the moment they head towards collision with any army or settlements.

We can also keep working on fortress defense.
+1 and have the architects that aren't busy wake up more of our combat units

Deny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 11:37:02 am »

Gonna ask, what are the rest of your guys doing? Like the architects, I'm currently assuming that they'll just be doing what they where doing last turn. In any case update will be up tomorrow.
In denial of sanity...

and insanity
Pages: [1] 2