Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Orion Trail  (Read 4956 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Orion Trail
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2017, 04:32:30 pm »

I am curious though. If the world started going "2012" like this, what would you do?
Build a boat? Hug your wife?
Well, realistically speaking I wouldn't be one of the lucky few to get onto a competently put together spaceship. I'd stock up on sleeping pills, do my best to survive, and if death seems inevitable, off myself in what I would guess is the most pleasant manner possible. If the opportunity arose, I'd do my part to put together a craft that could let others escape. Maybe scratch my name into a component, that someone far in the future might read it and know that I existed at some point- the best sort of 'survival' I could hope for, really.
Long Live United Forenia!

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2017, 06:11:24 pm »

I would go burn a bank down. Bucket list time!!
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2017, 06:24:23 pm »

I beg your pardon? We rolled a 6 for cost, and the project is going to cost more than our entire starting stockpile?

Not to speak for Nuke, but I think the problem is less that "Everything's on fire and nobody brought a fire extinguisher" and more "Our 'experienced' chef burned down the kitchen while boiling pasta, also destroying the command center and 20% of our people, on a standard, non-critical, failure roll."

For an efficiency 6/cost 6 roll on a basic need, it looks to be impossible for us to get close to getting oxygen supplies even close to stable, and that's before the fair/expected difficulty items (Need to make EVA suits before the solar grid breaks, and keep other things from breaking, and keep people from going berserk and breaking things). If a food/oxygen combo tech is too powerful, make it skunk-algae that tastes horrid and nobody even wants to be around, or make us choose strains that are nutritious or efficient oxygen converters.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2017, 06:44:13 pm »

The thing is.. phorosynthesis is 6 CO2 in, 6 water in, 6 oxygen out, 6 sugar built.
Simply by the nature of plant-life it can't be more than 1:1. The fact it is so close to 1:1 (read: perpetual motion) is because of the 6 cost roll.
As for steel and electronics, that's more of an issue of making it divisible by the time.
But if a barrel and fixture costs 2 steel, imagine what a rocket is worth.

But yeah. Plants are rather bad at making oxygen.
However, unlike the faster and better electrolysis, plants can remove CO2, and that's important.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a smol Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2017, 07:01:13 pm »

You want this to be a super grim dark survival, but you also want it to be super realistic. In combination, thats going to make as hard to play as it would be hard to survive in a real grimdark setting.

Look at other grim dark games. If you played a 40K guardsmen in a hyper realism non gamey way, half the time it would just be "X kills you from orbit and the whole planet dies. The End"

Edit: That is, realistic in so far as 40K can be. True to the sentiment of the setting.
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2017, 07:07:23 pm »

Um....Actually plants are excellent at making oxygen.
Because using plants you can make a completely closed-system (As I described) that will survive forever. Easily.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2017, 07:11:00 pm »

Bear in mind that we have no resource production. If we started hollowing out the ships into cylinders then we would probably get loads of materials...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2017, 07:18:07 pm »

Probably.

We could *probably* hollow out 10 sets of engines without issues. All other spaces require EVA suits...which, if these were actual almost-identical SHUTTLES should be placed in the airlock storage rooms NO MATTER HOW INCOMPETENT THE REFUGEES.

These dumb ships weren't logically taken to space by clueless refugees, and so we had better have basic things like that or we're doomed and this game isn't worth playing.

Sorry, but that's realism for you.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2017, 07:44:33 pm »

The shuttles are hand-made by idiots, not standard-issue government shuttles.

You see, the competent people and governments joined together to make the Arizona, and have already left. The left-overs from them make up the Shanghai-14, currently leaving the system. Those too incompetent to join up with them moved to the ISS.

We're the ones dumber than the people who only brought a few seeds to a permanent vacation into space. Everything should make sense now.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2017, 07:50:15 pm »

Speaking as an astrophysicist...NO.

You can't get to space unless you know what you're doing.

So, no, we physically can't lack EVA suits, that's space-based suicide.

Now, we CAN lack air-recycling equipment and insufficient filters, but we still have a filtering system, if not an actual air-recycling system. You MUST have one or the other on a spacecraft.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2017, 08:16:18 pm »

Someone probably threw out the suits to make space for twinkies.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2017, 08:27:54 pm »

Speaking as someone who doesn't like candy, I disagree with that statement.

Ice cream, however...

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2017, 10:03:26 pm »

You have no EVA suits nor (until algae) filtration system and plants still consume water to create mass in a closed circuit system.
However, as this game is rough and unbalanced and due to duress from the starvers, I'm doubling the input and output of the barrels.

The fabricators had been given briefs on what to build. They knew about suits but the Textiles people wouldn't have fit, and then were underwater.
They knew about filtration but just didn't have time.

Speaking as a KSP player, you can totally get to space whilst clueless. Or at least a percentage can.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 04:14:39 am by Tack »
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2017, 02:32:36 am »

To acquire more steel,  all we need to do is strip out all non-essential internal fixtures,  such as room partitions and floors.

Might want to leave the floors.  Definitely take the internal walls though.  We'll make more space that way.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2017, 04:12:11 am »

So I do think I need to issue some kind of apology re: the Algae tanks.
After looking back on it I noticed some seriously erroneous numbers. Not sure where my head was at when I wrote them in.
The production and cost of them should be clearer now, if not exactly fairer.

Essentially it costs Two steel and one Electronics to produce a self-sustaining barrel, which will provide enough food and oxygen for two humans.
Each time unit (or dice spent) is the installation of a barrel in two more rockets.
Unfortunately this means the algae tanks are subject to the same 14-rocket-redundancy, which is driving up the steel and electronics cost substantially, but pending a revision (Because project time can indeed be influenced by revisions) you might be able to clear that up.

I am also going to allow minor strip-downs as revisions (making rooms leaner, hollowing out, commandeering luxury goods, etc), but major disassembling/reassembling will require a design. (And probably an EVA design)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 04:14:05 am by Tack »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5